Jazeki

Transparency in DC

It's more like a (very good) summary of the consensus reached. However, what I proposed is more in the line of getting most suggested/discussed options with pros and cons - at least for the "how to gain currency" point of it all, as that's the one that makes or breaks the shop system. Plus, the cap would need to come up, too.

56 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Isn’t the first post a nicely done summary?

Yes but there are FAR too many things included. Not least the "things that could be expanded."

It needs to be dead simple. Whatever might happen would have to start very basic, and work up, or you run the risk of a meltdown and hostility all round.

6 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Over a week ago TJ posted in Trader's Canyon essentially saying he wouldn't say anything on the matter because deviating from people's detailed expectations would cause an uproar. Then he left.

There was no discussion, no asking what points we'd be willing to reconsider, what things he was most interested in, the feasibility of it at all, no response to people's points that it got so fleshed out 1) because we'd had nothing else to do in years of waiting for him to reply and 2) as an attempt to work out the kinks FOR HIM to make it easier to implement and, above all else, that we were willing to accept change if only he'd join the discussion and actually talk with us. It isn't change that's the problem, it's lack of communication making it feel like TJ isn't listening, at all, which in turn makes it feel like very good points are being ignored for no reason. TJ suggesting changes to the topic after talking with us for a while is very different from TJ jumping in, saying X won't happen, and then vanishing when people try to give reasoning for why X was a good reason to begin with.

I understand TJ has a real job, and I'm grateful time is devoted to this free site at all. But at the same time, many popular threads sit for years without adequate response. That goes from people feeling "maybe he's just busy, be patient" to wondering if he cares at all, and is why people are being blatant enough to ask if he'd be willing to pass the site over to someone who'd be more involved.

And I'll say it again--DC is a fun simple game and would be without a lot of proposed changes. But at the same time, some of them make SO MUCH SENSE, and it's extremely disheartening to never really get resolutions or active involvement from the site's sole operator on so many popular, long-running suggestions.

I very very very much agree with this. TJ said he didn't want to respond because it was so detailed that people would complain if it wasn't implemented exactly as the thread says.... So many of us responded that the details really don't matter as much as the core concept and we are more then willing to compromise and accept different ways of implementation. Many of us made very simple concise posts about why we felt this feature is needed. I haven't seen *anyone* in that thread imply that they would be upset if it wasn't implemented exactly like the OP shows. Yet that's TJ's reason for not doing anything about it, and then he just disappears and doesn't respond to anything else at all. No explanation on *what* he thinks is too much or not likely to happen, no explanation on which points he would actually consider (if any), no response to many of us saying that details are flexible. Nothing.

I personally think the OP in that thread does a very good job of outlining what's been talked about and agreed on, and just looking at the last 2 pages makes it obvious that people are open to communication and compromise... But nothing from TJ.

Unrelated to above discussions, I'm just letting everyone know that the first post has been updated. 

On 3/3/2018 at 10:39 AM, olympe said:

It's more like a (very good) summary of the consensus reached. However, what I proposed is more in the line of getting most suggested/discussed options with pros and cons - at least for the "how to gain currency" point of it all, as that's the one that makes or breaks the shop system. Plus, the cap would need to come up, too.

Sent ya a pm with every bit of fluff there ever was. Good luck!

Thanks for the PM, but that wasn't quite what I had in mind. Still, it's a good start. :D 

I was hoping this topic would mark a change in how TJ interacts with us, but most of the topics keenly requiring his input remain dead silent.

And he's still being very vague and cryptic as well. He closes both Help threads about his DCRecords site with a short message that it's not official so no help will be given in that section for it, and yet says absolutely nothing about the glitch that one of those threads was actually about. Says absolutely nothing on if the glitch will actually be fixed, if he's working on it, if he doesn't want to bother, whatever. I get not wanting the Help section to get crowded with non-official things, but in his closing post he could've at least mentioned whether or not it would be taken care of!

10 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

And he's still being very vague and cryptic as well. He closes both Help threads about his DCRecords site with a short message that it's not official so no help will be given in that section for it, and yet says absolutely nothing about the glitch that one of those threads was actually about. Says absolutely nothing on if the glitch will actually be fixed, if he's working on it, if he doesn't want to bother, whatever. I get not wanting the Help section to get crowded with non-official things, but in his closing post he could've at least mentioned whether or not it would be taken care of!

The two people who have PMed me in the last day about DC Records have gotten real responses that (I hope) are constructive and useful.

If I answer the question while saying "this isn't the place to ask this," then there's no incentive to stop asking questions in a place where they shouldn't really be asked, whereas if I push a precedent of "don't ask here, you won't get answers," the forcing function is much stronger.

You know, TJ, this policy might backfire, and do so spectacularly. Since you only answered two people who PMed you about it and don't want any discussion/questions on the forums, you'd better expect tons of PMs from all the people who'd also like an answer. Enjoy taking care of your inbox. ;) 

Edited by olympe
Grammar error - ugh!

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

10 hours ago, TJ09 said:

The two people who have PMed me in the last day about DC Records have gotten real responses that (I hope) are constructive and useful.

If I answer the question while saying "this isn't the place to ask this," then there's no incentive to stop asking questions in a place where they shouldn't really be asked, whereas if I push a precedent of "don't ask here, you won't get answers," the forcing function is much stronger.

I am - not wild about your response - but why would you of all people want to run a site that uses data from your official game site and have it up there, in your name, and - basically - not working  properly ? It's not that great for your reputation !

Goodness - and also - I am guessing that the unofficial site uses the same API as your records site - my dragon with the most children has vanished from those too ! (and can we get rid of the Sinos showing up as our oldest, by the way ?)

Edited by Fuzzbucket

11 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Just to clarify -- you'd prefer that people PM you?  Or was there a different place where you expected such questions to be asked -- and did you put information in the closing post about where to go, to properly ask such questions?  I'd also ask you to please consider making the content of the PM answers you gave public, so that the whole site can hear the creator's response, not just two people.

On 3/31/2018 at 12:37 PM, Kelkelen said:

Just to clarify -- you'd prefer that people PM you?  Or was there a different place where you expected such questions to be asked -- and did you put information in the closing post about where to go, to properly ask such questions?  I'd also ask you to please consider making the content of the PM answers you gave public, so that the whole site can hear the creator's response, not just two people.

But this is TJ you're talking about. If he's going to answer, it's going to be very vague and not helpful. I knew of the problem months ago and figured I would get the "it's unofficial response", so I never asked.

Not only that, but thinking about it now, the Thuwed list is always closed and people on the list keep getting the Thuweds while the rest of us has trade with them. Can this please get fixed so new people can have a chance?

Edited by Dalek Raptor