JavaTigress

Suggestions for Sweets

OK, as the mods have suggested that we move the Great Sweetling debate from the Valentine Thread( A Fair enough Request)

I have decided to start up a new place for discussing WHAT could/should be done about the Alt Sweetlings.

For myself personally I'd love to see a way for them to be available to all. Barring that, I would MOST prefer them being put back as they were ( One color per scroll).

Reasoning for the second choice? Was it ideal? Nope , but at least it had been that way long enough that everyone more or less was used to the idea.

Thoughts? Ideas?... Rubber Chickens? XD

*Cue Debate and arguements*

Edited by JavaTigress

4 minutes ago, arjunvohra said:

I think you have accidentally double-posted this thread

Oh, OK, fixed. Thanks for the Head up!

Suggestions I've seen so far:

Mechanic like Solstices: The time of breeding decides the colour (should definitely not be retro-actively implemented for eggs already laid before time of implementation announcement)

BSA like Aegides: Make Sweetling sad (e.g. after observing a refusal on your scroll). Should only be available if Sweetling has no offspring yet (like an enforced Aegis oath).

Back to the way they were, please.

Even though I wish I had got black ones.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Truthfully, my problem with the changes that were made are that now, some can have both sprites while others can only EVER have the pink ones.

As I believe I posted int he other thread... though I would LOVE a way to have both I had more or less accepted that wasn't going to happen, UNTIL they started changing things with them. IF we can only get one color, I can accept that even IF I wish it were otherwise.... but one set of rules for one set of players and another for the majority of us hardly seems fair. One set of rules or the other please is my thought. I FIRMLY think that that is what is the source of much of the discontent I have seen on the forums, and not JUST from myself, either.

At least, that is as I understand them, and IF I am wrong, please DO correct me.

Edited by JavaTigress

My favorite idea is time of hatching. It gives more control to the person raising the egg than relying on a breeder to breed at the right time. Ultimately, though, I'd be happy with any mechanic that allows me to obtain Alts, CB or not, though I'd prefer it not be through random chance or alts-only-breed-true, since that will take us right back to the problem we used to have with Hollies.

I have a manifesto percolating on this topic. Going to give it some more time to simmer.

Eta: I completely agree with everything you said, @JavaTigress.

Edited by LibbyLishly

1 color per scroll here. Meaning that any scroll that has even one alt would have all their sweetlings changed to black alts (like usual). Regardless of which color bred it and if the released a CB alt to get a pink. Though I would be willing to let alt users choose to switch from being alt owners to normal owners if they so choose. I do not want non alt winners to be able to choose alt status though.

22 minutes ago, JavaTigress said:

Truthfully, my problem with the changes that were made are that now, some can have both sprites while others can only EVER have the pink ones.

As I believe I posted int he other thread... though I would LOVE a way to have both I had more or less accepted that wasn't going to happen, UNTIL they started changing things with them. IF we can only get one color, I can accept that even IF I wish it were otherwise.... but one set of rules for one set of players and another for the majority of us hardly seems fair. One set of rules or the other please is my thought. I FIRMLY think that that is what is the source of much of the discontent I have seen on the forums, and not JUST from myself, either.

At least, that is as I understand them, and IF I am wrong, please DO correct me.

I definitely agree with this. While I don't personally care about getting alt sweets myself, it does really seem unfair that suddenly a small group of users can now have *both* kinds, without doing anything at all to work for it or earn it, while the majority of users are still restricted to just one type. It doesn't seem fair, or helpful to the overall userbase at all... Some people don't like the alt sweets at all because they say people really shouldn't have been given such special unique treatment just because of a glitch, well this change is just making that even worse, now some users are even *more* special and elite then before because they can now have both!

5 minutes ago, Vampyre said:

1 color per scroll here. Meaning that any scroll that has even one alt would have all their sweetlings changed to black alts (like usual). Regardless of which color bred it and if the released a CB alt to get a pink. Though I would be willing to let alt users choose to switch from being alt owners to normal owners if they so choose. I do not want non alt winners to be able to choose alt status though.

So you would be in favor of making them ABSOLUTELY like the SAs in this regard?

One color per scroll, whether bred or CB?

I will say this in favor of this suggestion. At least it is fair,and the same rules would apply to all.

(Just a question.  Is this how the sweets behaved before the changes that were made with them? I always assumed that it was.)

Edited by JavaTigress

32 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

God yes please. It wasn't broke why exactly did it need fixing? Ugh.

Ok, my most preferred option would be to make both versions obtainable for everyone (possibly with a 2+2 CB limit instead of 2 total). I like the idea involving a BSA of some sort :) 

If that's not possible, then I'd like to see them reverted to the original state of things, with 1 color per scroll. I don't think it's cool and fair that some ppl get to have both colors and some can have only one.

Not a fan of the recent changes at all, both the first solution and the revised one XD 

All sprites (apart from Spriter's Alts) for all scrolls, please. Regarding sweetlings, and Snow Angels as well. This is about having all sprites, that's the entire thing to do in this game.

I'd prefer a mechanic like Aegis, via BSA that is only available if certain scroll-conditions are met (refusal, sickness for black; successfull breeding for pink).

Hatching-time is also a nice idea, like with the Sunset / Sunrise dragons.

In both cases all dragons before this event (for BSA) or before the announcement (for hatching-time) should be left out of the change.

I would prefer this mechanic to allow for both colors of CBs, so we don't run out of black CBs down the line.

I don't like random breeding result or determination by breeding-time, both being too unreliable.

I have a frozen little cb alt sweetling, and I can't bear to release him. I've had him so long! So I will continue to blunder on with only one 2010 v dragon. (I didn't release my frozen Christmas hatchlings, either.)

As someone who is really into lineages, I do appreciate being able to pick up a pink sweetling from a pink sweetling lineage. I've abandoned so many lovely AP things because I knew my scroll would ruin the pattern. Similarly, I wish that alt sweetlings could breed true. I love my alt sweetling checkers and I wish I could properly share them during Valentine's breeding! (I know breeding true would mess with trade values, 2gs, etc, but still.)

Anyway, I'm just hoping that the existing lineages I've built/found over the years won't be changed retroactively. 

1 minute ago, JavaTigress said:

Thats what they used to be before this valentines. People who got hit by the glitch had "alt" flipped on on their scroll and could get only alts. People who didnt get the glitch could only have pink. It didnt matter what scroll the bred sweetling came from (or what color parent) if you had a "glitch scroll" all your sweets were black and if not all were pink. I think we should go back to that. 

As I said at most I would contemplate letting the ALT owners chose to have their scroll relabeled a "pink" ...meaning all their sweets would change to pink. I do not think that this courtesy should be extended to those that are normal pink owners as the alts were an apology for a glitch and thus wouldnt be fair to just hand out to random people who may not have been a DC member that valentines.

7 minutes ago, Vampyre said:

Thats what they used to be before this valentines. People who got hit by the glitch had "alt" flipped on on their scroll and could get only alts. People who didnt get the glitch could only have pink. It didnt matter what scroll the bred sweetling came from (or what color parent) if you had a "glitch scroll" all your sweets were black and if not all were pink. I think we should go back to that. 

As I said at most I would contemplate letting the ALT owners chose to have their scroll relabeled a "pink" ...meaning all their sweets would change to pink. I do not think that this courtesy should be extended to those that are normal pink owners as the alts were an apology for a glitch and thus wouldnt be fair to just hand out to random people who may not have been a DC member that valentines.

I am a  BIT surprised TJ decided to mess with it, then. Given that I WONDER how many altsweet owners are still active players?

I mean. The SAs were left well enough alone and you didn't have this kind of discontent with them.

Edited by JavaTigress

I just wish they would breed true. Then everyone gets both sprites without having a CB of each color. CB alt Sweets remain special, as no one else can get them. There's no BSA to work out, no unfair rules, and everyone benefits. Don't want the other color? Don't grab them then.

Just my two cents :)

1 minute ago, JavaTigress said:

I ama  BIT surprised TJ decidedtomess with it, then.

mean. The SAs were left well enough alone and you din't have this with them.

Problem with the black Sweetling was from the beginning that who got them and who didn't wasn't very transparent. Some were affected but didn't get them, some where not but got them regardless. The timeframe they were given out for was wonky and so on. That's where the "reward for a glitch" kind of falls apart, too. There where glitches and lagspikes and whatnot since then and before, yet they apparently did not deserve unique sprites for a random subset of the affected users.

The black Sweetling was problematic from the minute is was there, because it's implementation was faulty. It needs to be fixed, and the only way we will see peace here is if everyone gets access to the sprite. And I really don't see why that would be a problem. Everyone left active on the site with black Sweetlings could profit obscenely from them for years now. I would say they have been refunded for that horrible, horrible hour of their life when they had to face having to catch another set of constantly dropping eggs.

16 minutes ago, JavaTigress said:

I will say this in favor of this suggestion. At least it is fair,and the same rules would apply to all.

(Just a question.  Is this how the sweets behaved before the changes that were made with them? I always assumed that it was.)

Yes. And I wish it were that way again.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes. And I wish it were that way again.

Just because I seem to be missing something: Why would it be better if not everyone had access to all sprites on their scroll? (sans Spriter's alts)

I am fine with one colour per scroll. I understand the argument that a small group of users having both forms is unfair.

But....as an Alt-owner I would like to say that having alts is getting you nowhere. Every year it gets harder to get alt-offspring and it feels like there are only a handful of people around who have the black form that you can trade with. That is a big problem for me and makes me want more CB Alts (I have to say this even if TJ says it is not going to happen). 

Alt-form by BSA is a no-go for me. I dislike the BSA of Aegis, too, because it can ruin lineages. I think we don't need something similar.

I think the other Alt-owners are going to hate me....but maybe it would be best to just make a paint-job and turn all the Alts into the regular pink sweetling version. Do not get me wrong, my Alt is my favourite dragon by far, but the drama badly disappoints me. I do not see how it can be solved to make everybody happy. Maybe it is time to part with him and go with the colour of the majority of the userbase.

13 minutes ago, Shroomlet said:

Just because I seem to be missing something: Why would it be better if not everyone had access to all sprites on their scroll? (sans Spriter's alts)

I am not sure I see the benefit myself.

ALTHOUGH I WILL say that IF It had been left that way,had that pot NOT been stirred, I think people had more or Less ACCEPTED it.

THAT said, it would certainly be better than 'some select people get both'. Still NOT my personal preference mind.

I am fine with one colour per scroll. I understand the argument that a small group of users having both forms is unfair.

But....as an Alt-owner I would like to say that having alts is getting you nowhere. Every year it gets harder to get alt-offspring and it feels like there are only a handful of people around who have the black form that you can trade with. That is a big problem for me and makes me want more CB Alts (I have to say this even if TJ says it is not going to happen). 

Alt-form by BSA is a no-go for me. I dislike the BSA of Aegis, too, because it can ruin lineages. I think we don't need something similar.

I think the other Alt-owners are going to hate me....but maybe it would be best to just make a paint-job and turn all the Alts into the regular pink sweetling version. Do not get me wrong, my Alt is my favourite dragon by far, but the drama badly disappoints me. I do not see how it can be solved to make everybody happy. Maybe it is time to part with him and go with the colour of the majority of the userbase.

I will say that this would sadden me greatly as well. I would NOT want alts taken from anyone that already has them and loves them.

IF there isn't ANY solution for allowing everyone to have altsweets, then MY preferences, as I said, would be for returning them to their original behavior.

I will point OUT that, as I understood the BSA suggestion, once the sweetling had offspring it would be locked. It would only be childless sweets who could be flip-flopped.

Edited by JavaTigress

My personal preference isn't popular.. get rid of black sweetlings altogether.. so meh for that.

I think the best option would be to have them act like spriters ALTs.. only the original owner has caveborn blacks, but the rest of us could get 2nd gens.

Otherwise, just put it back like it was.. the new fix is worse than the original problem.

I wouldn't mind or care if everyone had access to Alt Sweetlings. I wouldn't like it much if all Sweetlings were made pink, but I would be willing to accept it if it happened.

To me all the jealousy and bitterness of this issue makes no sense. When all this anger seems directed at people who didn't do anything to deserve it, it just makes this seem an unfriendly place to be.

I don't understand the contention that Alt owners made any kind of profit from them. I certainly haven't. I'm seldom even asked to breed them, though I have always bred for free when asked.