TJ09

2018-02-08 - Valentine's Event Schedule

So I don't know how many people know this but what is currently the Alt Sweetling was actually meant to be the spriter's alt. She gave that up when so many people lost their eggs to the glitch. I haven't heard her personal stance, but I don't know how she'd feel about something like that having its significance removed.

46 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

While I am grateful for many changes made to the game in recent years, and do think positive attitudes should outweigh negative ones, it's always bothered me how people (self included) feel the need to sing praises and fawn every time we also suggest a change. TJ made the game, it's free, we enjoy it, we're grateful; doesn't mean every suggestion to new things should have to be preluded with a laundry list of everything we're grateful for. Again, it is important to keep the good things in mind and be cheerful on a whole, but on the forums it often feels like you need to use worshipfulness as a defense against people who would otherwise attack you for being greedy and ungrateful. Kinda instills an unpleasant mood. 

Anyway.

DC as a whole has shifted towards more obtainability, which is great. Unlike a lot of adoptables games, there really isn't a ton to do around DC beside the basic act of collecting and making lineages (which by necessity stems from collecting--can't do lineages without that). So the more of that collecting people can do, the better. Now, will the game die in a fiery explosion if we don't get Alt Sweets? Obviously not, just as it wouldn't have died if we hadn't gotten old CB Holidays back, or monthly raffles, or the return of Old Pinks and Frills. Yet those things happened, and were a great addition to the game! I haven't seen the fanbase so enthused in years! So since those improvements to collecting were so positive, why not let everyone get Alt Sweetlings and, hopefully, all Snow Angel colors? (More CB Christmas / Valentines would be great, too, but that's another matter, ehehe). I really see no reason against Snow Angels, and TJ already said he was open to it, so woohoo there. Alt Sweetlings... ok, yes, I get that they were a spontaneous reward for a glitch from a time when the cave was pretty different and they're kind of a weird case. But as mentioned before, they're here, they exist, just like prizes. I really don't think it would hurt to spread them around. Yah, ok, they're pretty little weirdos. But if you just look at them as a variant in the same vein as Snow Angels, which is essentially what they boil down to, it's not a big deal. Unless Kila really, really wasn't ok with doing so, I'd like to see them spread.

I'll also note that Alt Sweets aren't my favorite Valentine (ROSEBUDS FOR LIFE), and I enjoy Valentine to oodles with or without 'em. But I think it would be even more fun with 'em, and I don't think there's a compelling reason to not add them. :) 

This deserves a +1 to propel it to the next page. Really could not have said it better myself.

Hmm, only need five more CB Valentines to have my number complete. At least for me, the two times I have hunted the Valentine's Biome, it seems easier than the Christmas biome. Now, to wait for 12:00 AM February 10th DC time so I can can finish my hunt for CBs. Hopefully I will get one more of the five missing tonight though.

@BlueSkyy We know this, but there's a few things that bother me about that. For one, she didn't really 'give it up'- she got a new spriter's alt anyway, instead of sharing the same one with the alt owners. The other reason I don't think it's relevant is, she's no longer here. She left, it's pointless to wonder what she would think if we can't ask her.

I hope I manage to catch a CB sweetling or a CB Valentine 2009 before the event ends.  Those are the only two left that I need. Le sigh.

Edit: Just need one more sweetling. Yay. But first. Bedtime. 

Edited by Jazeki

@Dragon_Arbock

She intended to use that sprite herself, but instead gave it to TJ to use and had to make a new one to use as a spriter's alt because it would have been weird to have the apology sprites be the same as the spriter's alt. She gave away her first pick and settled for something else. Kinda like giving away the last piece of chocolate cake to your friend and settling for vanilla even though you really wanted chocolate in the first place. It was her choice to do so, but I think the gesture should be appreciated.

Also, in cases where an artist has given a set of permissions but then decides to take a break for the site for a while, it's probably better to err on the side of caution while they are away when it comes to using their work. I don't know what kind of contract TJ had with her since it was so long ago, but just because someone is no longer active on the site, does not automatically give TJ permission to make changes to usage permissions for the sprites (UNLESS it was mentioned in the contract that after so many years, etc. etc.) No way for us to know unless we are told by one of the two parties involved. What if TJ did make them freely available and she came back to the site and was really mad about it? What if she had a legal case because of a broach of contract? This is a game for us, but a business for TJ.

I hope this doesn't come off as rude or mean. Lately when I write things in a cut-and-dry manner, it's been coming off as rude/mean and I really do not intend for it to be.

*angrily pokes prize egg* HATCH, darn you! You’re locking me!

not that I can catch anything anyways, wowie they’re difficult to grab

Radiant Angels are my favorite, so I’m happy I have two CBs of those, although I adore Rosebuds and Heartstealers

This is almost harder than catching stuff over Christmas

Darn, although I’m super greatful the holiday biome is still back! Thank you for the event, and the festivities still to come!

also, what would DC be without drama? Not as bad as last years though. 

Edited by broadway_fiend

@BlueSkyy Nah, it's not rude (to me, anyway).

I cannot say either, as far as contracts then. I know now, if any change is to be made, that if 30 pass with no reply, permission is granted automatically. I do not know if all older sprites have been grandfathered into this rule, or if they are a special case.

*flails* I keep flailing over my current eggs, I have two that are only semi-messy that I *could* drop in order to hunt for more CBs to trade, but they both have Spriter's Alts in their lineage so I sort of want to keep them. I just can't stand being locked, especially during a limited event. 

I've been good so far, haven't picked up any Heartstealings, but I don't know if I'll be able to resist the whole week. I have my scroll-goal for them (actually 3 more then my scroll goal) so I tried to tell myself I can't get any this year, but they are my very favorite and *grabby-hands!*

@HeatherMarie abandon your inhibitions, GRAB THEM ALL! :P

What I do is during the release proper I get what I want most, then the week after I see what I grabbed the least of and try to catch a few of them from the AP before going for the others again. Perhaps you can do the same? :’D

I am just a hoarder of certain things and neglectful of others. I realized I have no Rosebuds other than my CB. Not sure how I managed that, but now it's low on my priority list because I have no checkers of that breed to catch mates for.

Either way, was making sure I got swaps and important things out of the way for the first few days.

2 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

How... how could you neglect Rosebuds?! The prettiest dragons in all DC?! How can you LIVE WITH YOURSELF?!

XD 

:lol: i totally agree!

every valentine's i fill my scroll with as many rosebuds as possible, and now i finally have some cb rosebuds too :) 

rosebuds forever :D

Oddly enough every time I have frenzy clicked in the biome on the hour, Ive managed one of each dragon I am missing, barring souls and sweets. Now Im egglocked and just staring at my 2G Radiants and red zyu wanting them to hatch.

I wish I could hoard cb Arsanai and Rosebuds. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@angelicdragonpuppy Heh, I don't know. What are some pretty checkers with them?

I recently caught a rosebud x silver checker from the AP. I like them with moonstones too. 

Golden Wyverns and Canopies both look phenomenal with Rosebuds.

Rosebuds were my favorites when they first came out, and remained my favorites until Heartstealings arrived.... Actually, now that I think about it, I actually wasn't all that impressed with Heartstealings when they first came out. Then 2016 came and I realized how shiny they were and fell in love with them.

14 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Rosebuds were my favorites when they first came out, and remained my favorites until Heartstealings arrived.... Actually, now that I think about it, I actually wasn't all that impressed with Heartstealings when they first came out. Then 2016 came and I realized how shiny they were and fell in love with them.

Guess you can say they...

...stole your heart.

Sorry I'll leave now.

Just got a CB Mutamore, and I'm egglocked again. Although I always am XD

Also, either I didn't read the first post that well or thanks to the fact I didn't know anything about the Christmas time so I'm missing something, but how long does it take for the biome to show eggs again?

34 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

How... how could you neglect Rosebuds?! The prettiest dragons in all DC?! How can you LIVE WITH YOURSELF?!

XD 

I dunno, but I could easily nibble on them with my overly hungry set of vampires... any idea how hard it is to feed 1600 vamps? a lot of eggs.

31 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@angelicdragonpuppy Heh, I don't know. What are some pretty checkers with them?

The correct answer is everything, but I’ll narrow it down to favorites x’D Black Teas, Crimsons, Silvers, Gaias... and if you want to make yourself suffer, Black Marrows and Caligenes! :’D 

Hm.. I could honestly see Gaias working. I tried vines before, but they didn't look quite right, but I do like the idea of 'plant x plant', so to say. I've bred a Silver from Rosebud for someone, but wasn't my cup of tea.

I'm sure marrows would look great, but yeahh, holiday x holiday is painful.