TJ09

2018-02-08 - Valentine's Event Schedule

1 minute ago, Shroomlet said:

Second: 2nd gens from Alt Sweets are only obtainable from CB alt Sweetlings right now, too. Nothing changing there. 

Except with your proposal, everyone can now actually get Alts from these CBs, rather than them just turning pink like usual. Making 2Gs from Alt Sweetlings 10 times more valuable.

2 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

This is my favorite solution (and I like the names you gave them, too) - and couple that with allowing them to each breed the other, basing the color on the time of day that the egg is laid or hatched. Then EVERYONE would be happy.

Awesome idea! The Valentine's version of the Solstice! I like it!

Or maybe yet the Valentine's version of the Aegis: make a BSA "heartbroken", when a sick egg or hatchling is on the scroll. That would make it a real and interesting challenge to turn a pink Sweetling black.

Edited by Shroomlet

6 minutes ago, Shroomlet said:

Which brings me to a good point: why not just allow everyone to have 2 sets of CB Sweetlings, pink and black? Make them two breeds altogether, honeymoon and heartbreak.

Woof, those are some sexy names for them. I like it, and I agree on this solution too. It would be fair for all players, and then those who only want one colour can decide what ones they have as well

I'm looking forward to the event and mainly the new dragon!

I don't really care much about the holiday biome and I won't breed my past Valentine dragons. I wished I had a go at Alt Sweetlings but that was never to happen in the first place so I'm not that disappointed.

Or maybe yet the Valentine's version of the Aegis: make a BSA "heartbroken", when a sick egg or hatchling is on the scroll. That would make it a real and interesting challenge to turn a pink Sweetling black.

This I would also agree with. I like my Aegis variations, it's like having santa and Krumpus. It would be the same for vals

Edited by cerimonster

10 minutes ago, ArielGrint said:

Ok, this is maybe a fair point, however you do realise that even people who were there for the original release missed out on the Alts, right? Only a small portion of the users got them. So is it really fair to them then?

And you can have every single released dragon on your scroll, just not always the CBs... But apart from Spriters Alts, 2 of the Snow Angel variations and the "other Sweetling"(so an alt in your case)you can have them all. But now one group of users gets to have the "other Sweetling" as well, while the rest don't and there isn't a really good reason for that anymore

Can confirm.

Been on this site since 2009 and was here for the release back in 2010. However, even I didn't get the glitch cause I was a bit late on that day, so no Alt Sweetlings for me.

If I remembered correctly, was it mostly those who caught their eggs in the first hour who got the glitch?

1 minute ago, cerimonster said:

This I would also agree with. I like my Aegis variations, it's like having santa and Krumpus. It would be the same for vals

And not to tout my own horn here, but it would add another game mechanic to sickness, apart from giving us headaches.  XD

13 minutes ago, Shroomlet said:

Which brings me to a good point: why not just allow everyone to have 2 sets of CB Sweetlings, pink and black? Make them two breeds altogether, honeymoon and heartbreak.

Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE for Alt Sweets to be available to everyone, and this would absolutely be my preferred suggestion.

I dont want all that trading power. I dont want for people to pay an arm and a leg to get a nice 2G Alt. I would much rather everyone be able to get both versions CB. I was just stating a reason as to why letting them stay as is and breed true wouldnt be a good idea.

I love alt sweetlings more than anything and i would love to see everyone be able to create awesome and beautiful lines with them. <3

Edited by Tiki G

2 minutes ago, Shroomlet said:

And not to tout my own horn here, but it would add another game mechanic to sickness, apart from giving us headaches.  XD

Eurgh! Sickness is the worst, especially when all you can do at that point is hide the eggs and hope they don't die on you. In all fairness though, with this mechanic I'd just kill a messy egg anyway to get what I want especially as I try really hard to not let anything get sick to begin with.

Also, if this ever in my wildest imagination actually happened, Honeymoon and heartbreak would provide for a lot of naming schemes!

Edited by cerimonster

7 minutes ago, Shroomlet said:

Oh my gosh. I LOVE this idea.

18 minutes ago, ArielGrint said:

Ok, this is maybe a fair point, however you do realise that even people who were there for the original release missed out on the Alts, right? Only a small portion of the users got them. So is it really fair to them then?

And you can have every single released dragon on your scroll, just not always the CBs... But apart from Spriters Alts, 2 of the Snow Angel variations and the "other Sweetling"(so an alt in your case)you can have them all. But now one group of users gets to have the "other Sweetling" as well, while the rest don't and there isn't a really good reason for that anymore

I wasn't there, so I can't really comment on my personal thoughts for that. I still stand by what I say.

And yes, technically I could have all the different kinds of dragons, however I only collect CBs. I'm not sure why a change was needed to begin with.

1 minute ago, Shroomlet said:

Or maybe tie it to the breeding refusal? So say if two dragons refused each other in the past 2 weeks, then you can turn one of your Sweetlings heartbroken. I mean breeding refusal is that one game mechanic everybody hates and at least this would add some sweet to the bitter(and it would make sense seeing how Valentine dragons are love-related)

1 minute ago, cerimonster said:

Eurgh! Sickness is the worst, especially when all you can do at that point is hide the eggs and hope they don't die on you. In all fairness though, with this mechanic I'd just kill a messy egg anyway to get what I want especially as I try really hard to not let anything get sick to begin with.

I bet if people had to deal with sickness in this way, though, we'd all learn important lessons about how to handle it better. But yes, it would be a challenge, as it would be intended to be.

6 minutes ago, cerimonster said:

Omg, that would be magical! :D

This should prove to be interesting.  Grabbing to see what you can get!   Good luck to everyone!

DocMumma

1 minute ago, ArielGrint said:

Or maybe tie it to the breeding refusal? So say if two dragons refused each other in the past 2 weeks, then you can turn one of your Sweetlings heartbroken. I mean breeding refusal is that one game mechanic everybody hates and at least this would add some sweet to the bitter(and it would make sense seeing how Valentine dragons are love-related)

This is also brilliant. Refusals are my most hated game mechanic and this would pacify me (no pun intended) when it inevitably happened again.

1 minute ago, ArielGrint said:

Hmm...an interesting point. However, I think having it tied to something as random as a refusal would take the challenge out of getting one, don't you think? It would just "accidentally" happen. Sickness, if you need it, is not that easy or random to just happen.

I would be fine with both versions, but I like the challenge sickness would entail. It's not completely trivial and it's risky, just like giving your heart away and hoping it will be treated right.

2 minutes ago, ArielGrint said:

Oh! This is awesome too.

There are so many good ideas to make the alts realistic in game mechanics.

23 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

Incidentally, when did we start having the event take place AFTER the holiday? I could have sworn it wasn't like this before I went on hiatus a couple of years ago. What is/was the reasoning behind the shift?

Last Christmas (2016) was the first event.  Supposedly because it made it easier for people who were busy around the holidays.  (because it's much easier during school/work than while on Christmas vacation /sarcasm).  2017 repeated the idea, but this is the first non-christmas event to do it and I can't think of a single reason why that makes any kind of sense.  :(

Just now, DragonLady86 said:

Last Christmas (2016) was the first event.  Supposedly because it made it easier for people who were busy around the holidays.  (because it's much easier during school/work than while on Christmas vacation /sarcasm).  2017 repeated the idea, but this is the first non-christmas event to do it and I can't think of a single reason why that makes any kind of sense.  :(

Thank you. I wasn't sure if my memory had seriously been that bad or if this was actually new.

Would love to know the reasoning... I'm all for extra festivities, as I love holidays, but I felt that things really dragged with the Christmas event after a while.

2 minutes ago, Shroomlet said:

Hmm...an interesting point. However, I think having it tied to something as random as a refusal would take the challenge out of getting one, don't you think? It would just "accidentally" happen. Sickness, if you need it, is not that easy or random to just happen.

I would be fine with both versions, but I like the challenge sickness would entail. It's not completely trivial and it's risky, just like giving your heart away and hoping it will be treated right.

Personally I think it would only add to the challenge, seeing how it is so random ;) So some might actually start breeding dragons they don't care about actually being a breedable pair to get what they want. And it might be kind of more "realistic" in a way as heartbreak isn't always a logical thing and you can't really plan for it to happen(or not happen). And as I said, at least it would make that one stupid mechanic less frustrating at times. I am not really opposed to the sickness idea though, don't get me wrong, this just feels more fitting to me personally :) 

5 minutes ago, ArielGrint said:

I like this suggestion too. It would make sense with the breed color mechanic, would be an interesting and new feature, and wouldnt negate the breed limits.

Only problem i see is it clashing with fertility. Do you use fertility to hopefully avoid refusals, or skip it and take the higher chance in "hopes" of possibly getting an alt sweetling out of it.

Though i recall there being a suggestion (from TJ?) to possibly change fertility to increasing the chance of a multi-clutch rather than reducing refusals. Not sure how well that went with users, but could possibly be a 2 birds with 1 stone deal?

How short can those drops be ... wow , it seems even harder than Christmas to get what I need from the Valentine's Cave. Last hours drop wasn't even a whole minute.