HeatherMarie

Extreme constant lag

I've seen multiple people mentioning this around the forum, and I finally got annoyed enough to actually start a thread, since no one else has. DC had been having *ridiculous* lag for at least the past week or two, possibly longer. It's not the normal 'tons of people on the site' lag or 'top of the hour' lag, it's constant, even when hardly anyone is on. I'm well aware that the 'users viewing this page' count only updates like once a minute or something, but I can't imagine it's constantly so far off... I have routinely had major lag, I'm talking 15 seconds or more, when reloading a biome page, when the user-count is less then 10. Not isolated incidents. Constant, all the time, no matter how few people the counter says is in the biome. I can't imagine there could be 100+ people suddenly descending on the biome in between view-counter updates (and then disappearing) so I very much doubt this lag has anything to do with lots of users being on. 

This is not my computer or my browser, and I know that because I've recently switched browsers *and* had my computer operating system completely reinstalled with the bare minimum, and every single other website (as well as resource-intensive programs) are way faster then they used to be for me. While DC has become way, way slower. It would be wonderful if this could be looked into, since it's obvious that *something* is going on, this is definitely not the normal lag that DC always has.

Yeah.. I mentioned the lag in the Cave Feedback thread, though no one else followed suit. Saw more people complaining in the Bad Luck thread.

I'm not sure what's going on, but it's not normal.

1 hour ago, Marie19R said:

It would be wonderful if this could be looked into, since it's obvious that *something* is going on, this is definitely not the normal lag that DC always has.

This.

I wonder if it has something to do with Meltdown/Spectre firmware fixes? That's something that could have slowed down computers (including web servers) in the last few weeks.

AND it seems to be giving the API for fan sites some issues. They are all loading more slowly than usual, too.

I have noticed a slight lag, but nothing too terrible. I do agree that the hatcheries aren't loading as quickly as usual though.

jep - bad indeed

Edited by Herk

I noticed this as well in the past few weeks, and yea, even the hatcheries take a lot of time to load. I hope it get solved soon, especially with the Valentine's Day event coming up soon! 

I just influenced a few things and it seems ok right now. Looks like I'm posting 3 hrs later than the few above me- around 9:20 am cave time.

I confirm, it's happening right now too. Horribly annoying, I'm afraid to imagine how painful it will be during upcoming holidays.

@TJ09 can we please get some clarification on this? This is becoming rather alarming because I can't hunt properly and I can't AP hunt properly because of this lag. It even made me breed one of my dragons to the wrong mate 😒

No lag at all here, where are you from? Pingdom and GTmetix get a pretty decent score of about 80% from all test locations in Australia, USA, Canada and Sweden.

That's no consolation but maybe it helps figure out the problem... ?

Edited by dustpuppy

Yeah, the lag's getting pretty dire. Even standard, non-hourly loading lags pretty badly.

e: I'm in the US, on the east coast. I don't think location is the issue.

Edited by Guillotine

UK, but I don't think so either.

ETA test run. 12.41 cave time - 32 seconds to load the AP,  >20 to load each biome.

That's enough to lose everything I might have wanted. It will play merry hell over Valentine's. And everything else on every other site (including this forum) is just fine.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I very much doubt location is the issue here since so many people from different places have been experiencing it. It's definitely not my internet provider, as my internet is currently faster then it's been in the last 5 years on all other sites except DC. I haven't changed locations, or providers, or anything like that. 

I'm getting some moments of good speed with DC, the AP seems to be doing alright this past day, tho still a bit slower then normal. But the biomes, the biomes are horrible. Every so often they'll load fairly quickly, but then five minutes later it'll take 10-15 seconds to load. 

I would *really* hope this could be looked into before the valentine event starts, I'm sure *many* people will be upset and frustrated if the lag continues during such a limited event.

Yes - sometimes it's fine; at EVERY 5 minutes-es it definitely isn't, and sometimes between times as well.

I've been experiencing it in a big way all morning. It's pretty much shut down my AP and biome hunting today. Doesn't matter what time it is. Hit refresh, count to 15/20 and mayyyyybe it will reload the page by then.  No bueno. 

Yeah, it's been bad for me for about two weeks, I think.  Definitely having major lag at the 5 minute drops, and 1 hourly drop was lagging almost the whole way to the :01 mark.  I checked for browser updates, computer updates, tried disabling javascript and images, etc...  but it seems to be DC itself. 

It lags even when I check my scroll and use the actions..... and I am from Eastern Europe, it definitely doesn't seem to be a location issue.

Same here. The site is really slow on different times a day.

I quit the hourly biome drops a while ago since they are nearly impossible to catch for me, but it's also a pain to name or breed dragons...

And the valentine's event is getting closer...

It's pretty significant and noticeable. Breeding takes so long, I half expect the loading pages to time out.