Dragon_Arbock

Change Sunrise/Sunset hatch times.

Honestly, I like that idea if the "extending the natural hours they hatch slightly" suggestion gets vetoed into the ground regardless of the fact that 12 (more, if you need a specific breed) hours is a bit excessive to have an egg not hatch.

Edited by Guillotine

I don't see why it couldn't happen - but I think it would need to have a long cooldown as maintaining the glow is taxing.  That being said, having a BSA added to an existing dragon breed is highly unlikely.

The information in the Encyclopedia unfortunately is very limited.  There's really not a good place to put information about how the eggs hatch, so that's why it isn't in there.

14 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

That being said, having a BSA added to an existing dragon breed is highly unlikely.

The last example for that happening is Ward on Whites, so not impossible.

It's also not new to filter the target's breed for a BSA, e.g. Bite doesn't work on Pygmy, Drake or Two-Headed eggs (don't know about unbreedables like Dinos).

Edited by Ruby Eyes

12 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It's also not new to filter the target's breed for a BSA, e.g. Bite doesn't work on Pygmy, Drake or Two-Headed eggs (don't know about unbreedables like Dinos).

And there is the Soulpeace expunge BSA that works only on Zombies.

If there must be a way to extend the hours for hatching Sunrise/Sunset eggs I would much rather see it done as a BSA than as a change in the default hatching hours.

55 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

I don't see why it couldn't happen - but I think it would need to have a long cooldown as maintaining the glow is taxing.  That being said, having a BSA added to an existing dragon breed is highly unlikely.

The information in the Encyclopedia unfortunately is very limited.  There's really not a good place to put information about how the eggs hatch, so that's why it isn't in there.

It is sort of a neat concept, actually...it is sort of a shame the encyclopedia doesn't have a section of info on eggies. I am uncertain why we dragon keepers,after observing and hatching them, wouldn't make note of it if a certain egg had specific needs, for example.

That said, as the creator of these guys has a definite reason for them acting as they do, I don't think I can support changing their basic behaviour, if they don't want to. A BSA, however, could work.

Edited by JavaTigress

It would be nice if the info were in the encyclopaedia, though.

I just sit here trying to get a sunrise one only read it cant hatch now....so i will be stuck with a sunset one.... AGAIN

Its impossible for me to get a sunrise one, i work late into the night and sleep during the morning to be fit for the 'day'.

Dang timezones

Edited by Yubelchen

Hide it till it's sunrise time. It'll be fine.

@Fuzzbucket

Just got a message from someone that hiding prevent hatching, i never knew that and the DC action description doesnt say anything about it in the 'Help' section as well (which i think is a terrible oversight, it should be added, its vital information for timerelated dragons!)

Thanks!

I'd suggest allowing users to calibrate which timezone (e.g. GMT, EDT, etc) in Account Settings but then I know that'll be a terrible idea as it'll just make things even more chaotic especially with the Lunar Herald phases, Glory Drakes and all that.

So instead of that, i'd support the hatching duration of Sunrises/sets eggs being extended by a couple hours to help make them easier to hatch without having to worry "why's this taking so long?!"

Seems to me the calibration was not a possibility. I forget why.

But I don't think making it 8 hour would make that much difference, to be honest. The issue is really only that people forget that there is a limitation.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Seems to me the calibration was not a possibility. I forget why.

But I don't think making it 8 hour would make that much difference, to be honest. The issue is really only that people forget that there is a limitation.

I feel like allowing a wider window for each setting (Sunrise and Sunset) to hatch might make things a little easier.

According to the wikia, this is how hatching times are at the moment:

image.thumb.png.bedec400e869b4b437fc897e93130328.png

Here's my suggestion: (its a bit crude, but i've added a timetable adding an extra 3 hours for both dragon types to hatch as:)

image.thumb.png.d0b4336dc334b7b56e77e1277dee6232.png

Yellow = extended sunrise times

Black = extended sunset times

Of course i'm not suggesting we implement these exact timings. I just think that the system we have now is a bit barebones and that extending times to which eggs may hatch would ultimately be the best option for us: the original mechanics noted by LadyLyzar won't be downright scrapped and hatching the correct dragon would become a lot easier. hopefully, anyway

Otherwise, the BSA mentioned earlier might be a good fix if the above won't happen. Or maybe having a forum topic to help people hatch a Sunrise/Sunset which would otherwise be tricky for the original requester to do in their own timezone if none of the suggestions come to light.

I would think adding even two hours would be nice. For me, if I want Sunrise Dragons I have to wake up earlier than normal after forcing the egg into ER for a whole night and hoping it hatches in time. Sunsets are easy, but giving just two more hours would make it so I could get Sunrise Dragons much easier. I think 8 hours for each would be nice.

Personally, I avoid hatching Sunrise/Sunset eggs because I tend to forget about the windows and it becomes a bit of a hassle. I am definitely in favour of extending them by 2-3 hours. I can't see any downsides to this suggestion - there would still be some challenge involved in getting the hatchling that you want, since you would have to time your breeding/hatching to fit the right schedule or calculate an accurate wait time, but it would make things a little easier for people who struggle to hatch one of them because of timezones. 

I'd like to do it like with the Day- and Nightglory Drakes. They hatch all day, but depending on the time they hatched, the kind of Dragon is determined.

No - it is the time they are bred/caught that determines which they are, and each has a full 12 hour slot.

15 minutes ago, Aurora-Silver said:

I'd like to do it like with the Day- and Nightglory Drakes. They hatch all day, but depending on the time they hatched, the kind of Dragon is determined.

That isn't correct.  Glory drakes are set according to the time the egg is laid if it will be a day or night glory.  Doesn't matter what time you hatch it.  *semi ninja'ed by Fuzzbucket :P

I'm not real crazy about changing the time for sun rise/set dragons.  It's not hard to hatch what you want.  Just get the views needed for hatching before it hits ER time.  Remove from hatcheries and fog it.  Unfog before the next window that you want (if you can't be around at the right time), put the egg into allure of neglected dragons.  There it will only receive normal views and wouldn't be auto ER'd, will hatch safely there.

21 hours ago, Dracaena said:

I'm not real crazy about changing the time for sun rise/set dragons.  It's not hard to hatch what you want.  Just get the views needed for hatching before it hits ER time.  Remove from hatcheries and fog it.  Unfog before the next window that you want (if you can't be around at the right time), put the egg into allure of neglected dragons.  There it will only receive normal views and wouldn't be auto ER'd, will hatch safely there.

That's exactly the way to go, and it works fine for me, despite being 6 hours ahead of cave time. And shortening the 6 hour window between the different variations would be counter productive to this approach (because the window for dropping in for fogging/unfogging when you have time gets reduced).

I think 6 hours each is a nice balance between lore (sunset and sunrise make only a small part of a day) and game mechanics (people need some minimal amount of time to work with for hatching dragons). So I see those 6 hours as the time between "first light of dawn" and "the day is well underway" (sunrise/morning), or "the sun is getting low" and "the last light of day is gone for good" (sunset/evening), respectively. Fits the lore, still allows me a generous amount of time to work the hatching mechanics. Extending that by more hours, declaring more than half the day to still be "morning" or "evening" just doesn't cut it for me.

Mechanically, as said above, you have 3 days to gather the views you need when you have the time to do so, and then you just have to find the time to unfog it between the cycle you don't want and the one you do want, or within the one you want. Which gives you 6 (no hatching) + 4+x (hatching correctly, with time to spare) = 10 hours to do it. Usually, even with work/school/sleep, there is a possibility to drop in to unfog a single thing within 10 hours. (If not during the week, then certainly on weekends.)

And even if three days didn't give enough views, from forth day on you can fog before the wrong window, and un-fog after it (avoiding views for a given 6 hours of any day is doable).

Personally, like some others here, I like the planning involved for breeding some breeds, and would like to keep it, as long as it doesn't make breeding impossible for some people. Which, in my opinion, Sunsets/rises don't do.

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

I'm against changes to this.

First: The creator intended these dragons to hatch like this. Read his post. It's how this dragon works.

Second: for the people that just want to shift the hours. There are players here from all over the world. So changing the hours might help some, but at the same time will hurt others.

I believe that in a situation like this the only honest choice is to base it on site hours like it is now.