MathPi

BSA - Nurture Hatchlings

The red dragons have a BSA to help incubate an egg, causing it to gain 1 day towards hatching.

How about adding a new BSA that does a similar thing for hatchlings.

There are several dragon species described as being very caring parents, which would make excellent candidates for this BSA.

Lore wise I think its not unreasonable to assume a certain species of dragons taking time to help raise small dragons by bringing more food and teaching them to fly and stuff.

I would suggest a long cooldown like the 14 days for the Red dragons incubate, and maybe even limiting it to only the females of the chosen species.

All in favor say "ROAR" (Fiery breath must be included in roar to actually count)

I would say yes on the BSA but no on limiting it to female breeds. If male reds are able to incubate eggs, then so should the males of this breed. Now to actually pick the breed is going to be a bit tricky.

This was suggested a LOT when we still had the BSA sub-forum, and I remember one of the big issues being the logistics of how a dragon taking care of a hatchling would actually make it physically *grow* faster. I don't really know the exact explanation behind what Reds do, but it seems to be something to do with their heat affecting the development of the fetus inside the egg. How exactly would this work with hatchlings, though, in a logical way? Just giving an animal more food and teaching it things doesn't make it physically get older or grow into an adult faster.

I'm not saying I don't like this suggestion, just that that is the issue that always came up in the past threads.

I’d have such a use for this, I really support it! I’ve been scroll-locked for days waiting on hatchies to grow up, so I really approve.

Like Dalek Raptor said, though, I really don’t think it should be limited to female breeds. I don’t think any BSAs are truly gender-specific yet (disregarding the weirdness with the Zyus), and it’s important to note that it is a breed specific action, not a gender specific one. I say let males and females get to do it, especially since many creatures irl have the father figures be very involved and nurturing too :)

Would the BSA name just be “Nurture”? 

@Marie19RWell a little magic wont hurt either ;-)

but I think the same "lack" of logic can be linked to the Infuence BSA. Without magic, how can a dragon affect the gender of an unborn hatchling

adding to that, becomming an adult isn't a thing that happens overnight with any creatures. It's more like the moment that a creature becomes physically/mentally/socially independent of their parents. Isn't that a "stage" of life that can be reached faster with proper guidance?

@RealWilliamShakespeare I think "Nurture" would suit well but I'm definetly open to suggestions

Edited by MathPi

'Because magic' shouldn't be the go-to reasoning, though. Yes, DC has magic, our 'characters' can do magic and so can many dragons, but falling back onto 'well it's just magic!' for suggestions isn't usually seen as a valid explanation. Also, just because something exists in-cave that may not completely make sense doesn't mean that new suggestions will be approved with a lack of sense or logic. Usually suggestions that are taken seriously are suggestions that are fully fleshed out and understandable for our in-game world.

Again, not saying I'm against this suggestion, just pointing out what is always brought up with this sort of suggestion, in an effort to help move this along.

Actually, there are some eggs in the real world that are affected by the temperature range the eggs are kept in (higher temps produce more of one sex, lower ones produce more of the other), so pinks could be using a similar external mechanism for influence.

@Kith Right, forgot about those. Hehe

But like I said, If we look at "becoming an adult" as being a creature becoming a full member of the dragon community. And being an independent being. This approach would be quite logical.

Only if we consider it to be just based on physical size would the BSA stop making sense.

Well, that very suggestion had come up as a BSA for Frills - and also had the blessing of the frill's maker, Lythiaren.

@MathPi: Dragons are reptilian in nature. And for many reptilians, they're not born with a certain gender. Instead, their gender is *influenced* by temperature. (Pun intended.) Which is what pinks are doing: Hatching the egg at the perfect temperature for the intended gender.

But, since we already established that our dragons are reptilian in nature - doesn't food supply have an effect on how fast a reptile grows and/or reaches maturity? I'm no expert, but I think I once heard something like that. (Not sure, though.)

@olympe

Generally reptilian maturity is more governed by weight/size than actual age (though the two go hand in hand), so it's possible that through "power feeding" a hatchling can reach sexual maturity quicker than would be typical. It's not usually seen as good for the animal, but it can be done.

ROAR

I've seen so many variations on this suggestion in years past and I've always been supportive. I'd love to see Nurture (or "Power Feed", haha) attached to Frills or any other dragon that it would fit.

For those against the more food = age faster theory, about giving a breed with the element time the ability to use magic to allow a hatchling to grow faster? Like a mixture of precognition and incubate, I suppose.

Edit: forgot to add that I support this. Being hatchling locked is the worst.

Edited by The Dragoness

I support this, but I want both genders of whatever dragon is chosen to be able to do it. I'll let the details be settled through discussion, but I do want to voice my tentative support.

I agree that it shouldn't be limited to one gender. There are no other BSAs that are limited that way, and if both genders of Reds can do the comparable egg action, I don't see why both genders can't do the hatchie action.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

Well, that very suggestion had come up as a BSA for Frills - and also had the blessing of the frill's maker, Lythiaren.

@MathPi: Dragons are reptilian in nature. And for many reptilians, they're not born with a certain gender. Instead, their gender is *influenced* by temperature. (Pun intended.) Which is what pinks are doing: Hatching the egg at the perfect temperature for the intended gender.

But, since we already established that our dragons are reptilian in nature - doesn't food supply have an effect on how fast a reptile grows and/or reaches maturity? I'm no expert, but I think I once heard something like that. (Not sure, though.)

Weight/size is a major indicator of maturity for reptiles, yeah, to the point where some unscrupulous breeders overfeed animals to make them reach maturity faster. In real life it comes with a risk of illness, though, and I doubt that aspect of it could be well-modeled in a way that wouldn't leave us with another Earthquake. (I support the idea, mind! Just not sure if it'd be put into practice with that reasoning, particularly given that some breeds are quite avialan-looking.)

I feel like it's the best method, though I wouldn't be opposed to a time-aligned breed being selected for it.

THIS is one of those suggestions that I really, really, really want. And Truthfully, I don't care how logical it is and I'm sick of having everything have to make sense lore wise. To hell with the lore and RP, just give us the useful BSA's. It's a GAME for Pete's sake, not reality. Let's stop wasting time and causing drama for stupid reasons and just IMPROVE THE GAME. Who gives a flying flip about how logical something is, this is NEEDED and shouldn't be stuck on the wait list until someone figures out how to make it 'real'. Phooey on real, just give me faster hatchling growth.

And I don't care which dragon gets the BSA either.. just give it to a breed that would make folk take them for the BSA.

Well, both mammals and avians evolved from reptiles, so... ;) 

That being said, I wouldn't mind getting this BSA implemented on the very simple grounds of "gameplay > logic". Not at all.

I'm indifferent to this. It could be useful, but at the same time, raising hatchling limits would solve the same problem. The only time I ever hit the limit is on the holidays when I'm taking a lot of lower-time AP eggs.

I've never been in a hurry for something to grow up otherwise- it's mostly about space.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

That being said, I wouldn't mind getting this BSA implemented on the very simple grounds of "gameplay > logic". Not at all.

Same. It would be another massive "quality of life" addition to the gameplay. You can give me likely any lore reasons that you made up off the top of your head for why it works and I'll be happy with it. 

Ohh I really like this idea! I'm really scroll-locked atm so it'd be handy for me rn hehe ^^

Here's a part of the Pillow dragon encyclopaedia!!

" Very easy-going and caring. Have been known to adopt in hatchlings and ill or injured adults of other dragon species... While the rest are asleep, dragons in the group will take shifts in different tasks such as keeping watch for danger, care taking, or hunting."

I think they're a perfect candidate for this BSA because they'd take the hatchies under their... wing!

2 hours ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

THIS is one of those suggestions that I really, really, really want. And Truthfully, I don't care how logical it is and I'm sick of having everything have to make sense lore wise. To hell with the lore and RP, just give us the useful BSA's. It's a GAME for Pete's sake, not reality. Let's stop wasting time and causing drama for stupid reasons and just IMPROVE THE GAME. Who gives a flying flip about how logical something is, this is NEEDED and shouldn't be stuck on the wait list until someone figures out how to make it 'real'. Phooey on real, just give me faster hatchling growth.

And I don't care which dragon gets the BSA either.. just give it to a breed that would make folk take them for the BSA.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but some of us really like the lore and the fact that the game makes an effort to actually be logical. Just like authors who painstakingly research for their novel to make sure things are logical and factual (whether in setting, culture, etc), and the readers who nitpick every little factual error and applaud authors who take the time to do the research, I think it's a mark of a Good Game to have some sort of story, some sort of background and 'okay, this is the way things are in this world', and it's really nice when a game actually stays true to the world that they've set up. I mean, if DC was this whole 'anything goes, screw logic!' game, it'd be a lot less appealing for me, and I'm certain I'm not the only one. 

That said, I'm totally fine with bending logic and lore to implement something that would be truly valuable to players. I'd simply *prefer* there to be *some* basis in lore/logic. It does seem like certain breeds would be very well-suited for a nurture action, like the Pillows mentioned above.

Now that I am constantly both egglocked and hatchielocked I have been making many offhand comments about wanting a BSA like Incubate but for hatchies. Any gender should be able to "Nurture" a hatchling (wolves of both genders nurture and teach the babies of the pack) though, not restricting the BSA to female dragons only.

On 1/19/2018 at 8:01 PM, Marie19R said:

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but some of us really like the lore and the fact that the game makes an effort to actually be logical. Just like authors who painstakingly research for their novel to make sure things are logical and factual (whether in setting, culture, etc), and the readers who nitpick every little factual error and applaud authors who take the time to do the research, I think it's a mark of a Good Game to have some sort of story, some sort of background and 'okay, this is the way things are in this world', and it's really nice when a game actually stays true to the world that they've set up. I mean, if DC was this whole 'anything goes, screw logic!' game, it'd be a lot less appealing for me, and I'm certain I'm not the only one. 

That said, I'm totally fine with bending logic and lore to implement something that would be truly valuable to players. I'd simply *prefer* there to be *some* basis in lore/logic. It does seem like certain breeds would be very well-suited for a nurture action, like the Pillows mentioned above.

I like logic, but just to play the other side: Dragcave is canonically not on Earth.  Who says OUR rules apply?  Maybe it is perfectly normal for such behavior on

Valkemare for one species to be able to influence the rate at which another grows.

I also only hit hatchling limits at holidays normally, but I would still like to see this added to the game in some way, shape, or form.

I think... dragon growth being affected by feeding is already a thing, sort of. I don't know what views actually are, lorewise, but eggs start cracking sooner with more of them, and hatchlings reach sexual maturity (gender and wings) sooner with more views, And of course they get sick when "fed" too many views. And incubate makes eggs more susceptible to illness, as anyone who's tried to hatch a 4 days incubated zyu/prize/etc knows.

Maybe egg views is warmth and incubate is special dragon warmth, or maybe incubate just makes hatchies more willing to come out of their shell, who knows. But hatchie incubate/nurture could just be the same as egg incubate, or even make the threshold for hatchie sickness lower so they get sick with less views. Or they could have a random amount of time lowered as hatchies with personalities who want or don't want to be nurtured.

tl;dr would be nice, just make it incubate but for hatchies since the logic of reptiles that grow as they get fed more is already all there.

After some searching and a bit of help, managed to find this thread...

I support the idea of a BSA for nurturing hatchlings to grow faster. I think using Time magic to do so would be more appealing as it'll easily avoid any questionable real-world practices. 

Dragon Cave has grown significantly over several years and it's still growing. We have a good couple hundred dragons, minimum. However, our scroll slots are not increasing to match the pace. At some point, there's going to be a pinch between the two. We're going to have to address that sooner or later, and doing it sooner (with a way to speed up hatchling growth, for example) would be the ideal.