Fortune86

Died ~ Please Close

"It certainly looks like it" replied Avery to Raine's query as he took and gently shook her hand. "I'm Avery."

He would have preferred a slightly larger group than just the one student, but the purpose of the Instructor was to be on hand whenever they were needed. If this was the most convenient time for Raine to train her gift, he'd just have to roll with it. He watched as the two younger girls went on their way and then walked over to the door of the LGEC. Holding it open he looked back at his sole pupil.

"Well, we might as well get started then."

"Lead the way" Raine responded, directing her hand back towards the large warehouse.

It was certainly an ordinary building. One would expect a militaristic government facility where superhuman gifted beings were trained would be a giant shimmering glass tower or something similar.

On the contrary the warehouse looked particularly bland, Raine concentrated for a moment, trying to recall the images that had flashed earlier.

She still had at least 15 minutes before she would catch up to her precognition.

I guess that could work well if the instructor wants me to demonstrate... though I don't really think i'll show any outward reaction apart from closing my eyes Raine thought to herself, she absentmindedly started walking towards the building, the route that they were to take subconsciously guiding her steps.

Avery led Raine into the main section and headed back towards he had left his coffee cup on the benches. Picking it up he could tell it had gone cold, but coffee was coffee. Taking a sip he sat down on the bench, looking back over at his first student. 

"Am I right in assuming you are Raine Trapello? You were given special dispensation not to attend sessions because of the birth of your child?"

Now that he was starting to wake up a bit Avery could recall the notes made in the files. She was an Esper like him.

Edited by Fortune86

"Is that what they classified it as is it?" Rainse asked, a smirk rising to her lips.

"When they came to my door I was at 30 weeks so I basically told them to shove off. I wasn't going to attend a mysterious school when I had a baby to take care of... she started attending school this year so I figured now is as good a time as any," Raine explained.

"Though I still have my job, I won't be able to attened classes when I'm working," She continued.

Raine paused, she had started to ramble a bit. She let out a loud sigh and anxiously twirled her thumbs back and forth. She wasn't sure whether or not she was supposed to sit.

Avery didn't return the smirk. It seems Raine's power hadn't been classified as a priority. If the GMS had truly wanted her or her gift, then they wouldn't have taken 'shove off' as an answer. He just hoped she wasn't going to be one of those difficult people who liked to mouth off. They tended not to last long.

Sitting back so that his back was against the wall behind him he gestured vaguely at the bench he was sitting on.

"Why don't you tell me more about your gift? Some kind of precognition? No formal training, but I'd bet you've trained to make use of it in your daily life?"

"Bye, August! Be safe!", August's parents said to him, as he went to visit the LGEC for the first time. He had looked up and memorized the walking route online before he headed out, taking a map with him just in case; mostly to put his parents at ease. He still had a bit of trouble estimating how far away the cars were now that he had only one functional eye, so he only crossed roads when he was absolutely certain that he could easily make it to the other side walking. This slowed him down quite a bit, but he wasn't in much of a hurry anyway. When the principal of the school found out August had used his gift in school, in the vicinity of other students, the principal decided that August would be suspended until he had started taking classes at LGEC - for everyone's safety. This meant that starting tomorrow, he could go back to school. And he was looking forward to that.

At the end of his patient stroll, he arrived at a building that looked like a warehouse. He also saw two girls, who seemed to be just a little younger than himself, walking from that warehouse in the direction of the school. Fellow gifted students? That would be his best guess, anyway.

He made his way to the door and knocked, waiting for someone to open it.

"That's right," Isabella told the other girl, deciding not to tell her about the part where her mother had told her she'd needed to come down here. She saw no reason to go around sharing her family drama with everyone she met. Noting how the other girl evaded the subject of the Youtube video, Isabella decided to steer the conversation away from that as well. She certainly wouldn't have wanted to be caught on camera changing back from her Were form, naked. "So, are you coming back here after school today for lessons?" Although Isabella knew next to nothing about this girl, she would feel better not having to train alone.

Isabella then lifted her head suddenly as she heard footsteps. She turned her head towards the warehouse-shaped main building, thinking that one of the two adults might have gone back outside, but instead saw a boy about their age heading towards the door. "Hey there!" Isabella yelled, lifting one arm to wave at him.

Shortly after he had knocked the door, August heard a shouting voice, which sounded like it was from a girl about his age. It didn't seem to be from inside the warehouse, though, so he turned to look where it came from.

He then saw that the two girls he had seen earlier were the only ones close to where the sound had come from and one of the two was looking in his direction. It seemed she had seen him and wanted to greet him. He appreciated the gesture, so he smiled and waved back. He also tried to wink, but immediately got painfully reminded of the condition of his eye, causing his smile to twitch for a second, before stabilizing again.

"Hey!", he said. "Off to school?"

“Yeah. I’ve only been shown around a bit by the old instructor. Then they closed up until his replacement showed.” Meagan spoke while looking at the warehouse centre. At that moment another person showed up. A guy who seemed a little bit older than them. The girl greeted him and he returned. Meagan politely waved as well and smiled. It seemed like there will be a few young ones at the centre this time.

“Oh I didn’t really catch your name earlier. I was a bit distracted.”

There was a knock on the door. Avery sighed and got back to his feet. He wondered if every gifted in the community was going to show up that morning. 

"I'll be right back" he told Raine as he strode back towards the door. Looking through the windows he spotted a young blonde lad standing out on the street. This kid, he knew.

Opening the door he looked down at August Storm, an Electromancer who had been outed after he had assaulted one of his class mates according to the files. It seemed self control was one of the lessons it would be up to Avery to teach.

Opening the door he stepped back a little so that the lad could come inside.

"You don't have to knock" he explained. "This door is never locked."

"Hopefully I'll see you there then," Isabella told the other girl. She knew about the retired instructor; her mother had complained daily when she'd heard that the Center's old instructor had retired just a few days before Isabella's Gift had first manifested and had checked compulsively until she'd learned when it would be reopening again. As a result, she'd never been here before, though that was something else she didn't feel the need to tell the other girl. She'd learned over the course of her life that it was generally better to keep information to yourself unless you had to. "Like I said earlier, I'm Isabella. What's your name?"

The boy by the door yelled something in response to her greeting, and Isabella raised her voice accordingly to answer. "Yeah. Shouldn't you be heading there yourself?" Speaking of which, she should probably be on her way - she would probably need to hurry to avoid being late as it was.

After he responded to the greetings of the girl further down the road, the other one waved to him as well and the one who had greeted him replied, asking him if he shouldn't be heading to school too. He wanted to reply, but he then heard the door opening. A tall man came out and started talking to him.

"Excuse me", August said politely. "I was unaware. This is my first time coming here. I'll keep it in mind, though." He smiled to the man.

"So how exactly is this gonna go?" August asked. "And what's your name?"

"I'm August, by the way.", he quickly added as he realised he hadn't introduced himself yet. "August Storm. Nice to meet you."

"I'm Avery" he said, introducing himself for the fourth time in about ten minutes. "As you may already have realised, I'm the new instructor for the center. I'm guessing you are here for a session?"

Storm's file had mentioned that he was suspended from school for the time being. Avery guessed that his parents had decided to send the boy for training as soon possible in order for him to be allowed back on campus. 

"Come inside and we'll get started. You're a Mancer right?"

“I’m Meagan.” She spoke starting to head to her scooter again. “Guess he must be home schooled or something. Speaking of which we better hurry. Don’t know about you but my school has issues with people being late.”

Meagan eventually got to her scooter. She put her helmet on and got on the scooter.

“So I’ll see you after school?”

"Maybe," Isabella told the other girl, her eyes still on the strange boy as he walked in the warehouse door. "Or his parents just let him take the day off from school or something." His being homeschooled was still a valid possibility, but Isabella saw no reason to rule anything out before she had proof. She nodded in agreement when the other girl - Meagan - said that they had better hurry, but when she said that her school didn't look kindly on people being late Isabella couldn't help but let out a puff of laughter. "Your school? Tell me, Meagan, where do you go, a private school in another town?" With Lightmist being as rural as it was, there was only one set of public schools for the corresponding age of children in the town, and even they weren't terribly large. Isabella walked her bike the rest of the way down to the street and hopped on. "But yeah, I'll see you here after school. Unless there's some sort of natural disaster, anyway." She knew there was absolutely nothing less that would get her mother to agree to her coming home without having a session today, at least.

OOC: In a day or two I'll be going on vacation for about two weeks and won't have reliable internet access, so I likely won't be posting for that time. I'll be back after that, so please don't remove my character from the RP.

"Yes", August responded to the man, who had introduced himself as Avery. "I'm an electromancer."

He took a moment before responding to the questions that Avery asked before that last one.

"Yeah, I already thought so. And I'm here for a session indeed, so I think I will just follow you then and you'll show me the way. I'm so glad we can just start right away! I've been waiting for this way too long, it feels... somewhat comforting, to finally accept my powers, instead of hiding them. Now, let's get started."

Raine glanced around the room wondering where she was.

She glanced at the desk with the small pile of files on it with curiosity, wondering if she could spy at her own file.

She tapped her foot anxiously, she had wanted to go to the loo but had gotten lost.

She would need to find Avery again.

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

"You'll be glad to know that for most Mancers, learning how to properly use their gifts is pretty straight forward" explained Avery. "It's usually just boils down to self control, and not using your gift when you shouldn't, no matter how tempting it might be."

Avery looked around the large training room and frowned and he shut the front door behind the door of them. He could have sworn that he had left Raine over by the benches where he had sat earlier. Where had she gone? Had she left, or simply wandered upstairs to explore? He hoped she was exercising some self control of her own.

"Raine?!" he called out, trying to get her attention and bring her back from wherever she had gone. He looked back down at August and shrugged.

"There's another first timer here as well. While we wait for her I'll get you started."

He stood so that he was facing August straight on. He was taller than the blonde haired boy in front of him, and sturdier. 

"Like I said, for Gifted, knowing when to rein ourselves in and not use our powers is the first and most important lesson."

He then punched August in the gut. 

August closely followed Avery into the building, where his first lesson in using his powers would begin.

Self control. That's what Avery had said controling his powers would come down to. Up until the incident, he had thought he had plenty of that, but now he no longer was so sure.

When Avery told him that there was another first timer here, called Raine, he got a little nervous. What if I accidentally hurt her. As much as he didn't want to consider the possibility, the thought kept troubling him.

Avery then continued the explanation. At least, so it seemed, but after the first sentence, August felt a fist crashing into his stomach.

This had happened to him before. But never so suddenly. Never while he was so nervous. Never since had his scar.

When he could think straight again, he wanted to hold back, but it was too late. He had already began firing a lightning bolt, all he could do now was make sure it didn't get too out of hand. He immediately stopped the bolt, hoping he hadn't dealt too much damage.

He kept his eyes closed. He didn't want to see what he had done.

"What happened?"

And how am I going to explain this to my parents?

Thankfully Avery had had the foresight to step to one side after hitting August in the stomach, but even then the blast of lightning had only just missed him. Standing to the left side Avery glanced down at the young boy next to him and then looked over at the far wall, where a small but fresh black mark was gently smoking. 

"I hit you" he said, giving the obvious answer to August's question. "I wanted to see what your instincts are. As the wall can attest, it seems your first reaction to being provoked is to use your electromancy."

He frowned and looked back to August. 

"This is a problem. People get into fights all the time, both verbal and physically. If you are going to attempt to win your arguments by using your gift, then the GMS is going to come down on your ass in no time."

Raine looked over in the direction Avery's voiced had come from and started down in the direction.

It didn't take long for her to return to the area Avery had originally left her in, and she saw him standing with a young man she didn't know.

Another gifted? This really is rather contrived that everyone is showing up at the same time, She thought.

An image flashed in her mind of a bright light, and Raine stopped in her tracks as a loud crack and a similar flash blasted out in the room.

She had just witnessed Avery punching the young man, who seemed to retaliate by firing a blast of lightning out, narrowly missing Avery.

Raine glanced sidelong, the blast had impacted along the wall rather close to her and she could feel lingering static energy causing her hair to rise.

"What did you do!?" Raine called out in disbelief at Avery.

Was he going to punch me as well? What did that boy do to deserve that? Raines head was a myriad of thoughts. She remained where she was, unsure whether to get closer.

Avery looked up at Raine, who had called out in surprise. It seemed she had re-entered the room just in time to witness the start of August's first session. 

"I'm performing an assessment of his capabilities' he replied matter-of-factly.  "In order to properly instruct him, I need to know what he can do and how he does it. As a Mancer, his power makes him one of the more dangerous Gifted, and it's vital he learns how to use it properly."

He looked back to August, face serious and grim.

"You don't want to be responsible for the locals hunting down or driving Gifted out of Lightmist do you?"

August was confused. Was this really happening? What was even happening?

He then heard Avery explaining the situation to Raine. Rather convenient, in fact.

"Uhm... no. No I don't. But... I usually don't react like this. I've been doing just fine for years, but now... I don't know what's wrong, really. I came here thinking you would just notice that it just was a one time incident and that I could go back to school tomorrow... But I guess that's not going to happen now, is it? Please just tell me what I should do to prevent this from happening more often. For everyone's safety."

August had become painfully aware of the situation he was in.  He had become a hazard for everyone in his vicinity. He really had to get this under control. But what was so different between now and past years? He couldn't think of anything.

"You've been hiding it for years" corrected Avery. "And I'll bet not many people have tried to hurt you like that before."

He sighed and crossed his arms. This was always the hard part.

"You need to understand that things are different now that you've been exposed. You might feel the same as you always have, but your world has changed. How people view you has changed. If you're lucky the majority of people you know, your family and your friends, won't think any less of you, but you need to accept that from this moment on, there will be people who are now afraid of you, who hate you, or even jealous."

Avery turned away and walked across the floor to the wall where August's electric outburst had left a mark, now cooled. Avery reached out and wiped at it with hand. His hand came away black and ashen, but the paint work underneath was barely dis-coloured. It looks like whoever had renovated this place into a training center had done their job well. At least August wouldn't be able to bring the place down on top of them no matter how he mis-fired. 

As Avery took out a handkerchief and wiped his fingers he looked at his new students.

"While Gifted have been largely accepted by the world we still have our enemies. These enemies will attempt to hurt us, or worse, get us to hurt others. My job is to teach you to rise above any provocation you might encounter."

Though his parents had shown a somewhat surprising amount of understanding, August hadn't spoken with any other family members or any of his friends since his suspension. It hadn't crossed his mind before, but he now started to worry for how they'd react. All the more reason to get back in school as soon as possible, so he could explain his friends exactly what happened.

What Avery continued to say made sense to August. He was aware that the world could be cruel if you're different. Even something as simple as actually liking school was enough for some people to bully him, so he had no trouble believing that there were people out there who would react to Gifted as extremely as Avery had mentioned. But still...

"That sounds difficult. I've had my fair share of beatings in the past, believe me, but I don't really see the difference still. So I guess I'm going to need your help."