RealWilliamShakespeare

Grab multiple clutch eggs

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I didn't find it around anywhere.

I personally don't see much logic in the fact that you are only able to grab one clutch egg when breeding with a Celestial. If you have multiple egg slots open, I believe you should be able to grab as many eggs as your egg slots allow. It doesn't make sense to me lore-wise that a dragon raiser could see four eggs and only decide to grab one when they have the space for it, particularly if they're breeding for Black/Undine/Vine alts. It can be inconvenient to have to keep breeding with different clutches when you want one certain egg.

Regarding ratios: if this is done to prevent someone from hoarding a rare breed,  couldn't the odds of the clutch producing said rare breed be lower? If this isn't already a mechanic - which I think it might be. I make my point as somebody who is just trying to breed Blacks - it can be annoying seeing two bunted to the AP not knowing whether they're going to be Alts or not :c

[This being said: I can understand with Holiday dragons due to the scroll limit, this is regarding Celestial clutches.]

In the days where anything could multiclutch this was also the case. I can't see any reason to change it.

1 hour ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Regarding ratios: if this is done to prevent someone from hoarding a rare breed,  couldn't the odds of the clutch producing said rare breed be lower?

I'm meh about keeping multiple eggs from multiclutches, but please no tinkering with rarity beyond what is already in place. 

8 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

I'm meh about keeping multiple eggs from multiclutches, but please no tinkering with rarity beyond what is already in place. 

No no, I’m not meaning to edit the rarity, I just meant that I think the current chances of getting a certain egg in a clutch is set at a certain rate. Celestials are uncommon - say I were to breed one with a Gold, which is very rare, I believe there would be a lower chance of the clutch producing a Gold anyway. 

I personally have issues with the auto-AP mechanic from the holidays specifically because of their max-once-a-year breeding, with Celestials I had the whole year to finish my self-bred frozens goal fully(actually needed about 2 months for my pair kept breedign poorly), with Holidays it's up to 4 years unless I try something to get them back which I always do for unfinished sets, this time shortens with every catcher of my auto AP-ed eggs seeing and responding to the parents asking for a return (and provided my pair breeds enough of eggs)... and not that many people do that, this winter I kept seeing one of my auto-APed eggs return multiple times to the AP, I just couldn't manage to grab it (you have no idea how frustrating this was! finally seing one of those in there and keep on missing it a few times!... and it wasn't a Holly or Snow BTW) - those people preffered to AP it instead of helping (surely they had a look at the lineage to decide they didn't like it) despite the parents offered trading for it (I could give a CB Holly for my auto APed holiday egg if they asked for it...) (no, I didn't get it in the end, the last catcher kept it without checking out if I could offer sth better, or just didn't check the lineage of their catch). Sitll, I found renaming the parents helpful, depending on the lineage, still quite a few people help and return the APed egg, rarely asking for anything in return. But not sure how well it can go with a non-holiday breed... Still, I need a few years... not to mention winter ones must wait for mates for at least 2 years (e.g. my Aegis is gonna wait 3 as the Garland got paired to Snow) which can turn to 7 bloody years before the full set with sth like the Aegis is done:/

You can try to ask for trade back via parents names, eggs may be returned. But it's not a perfect sollution, you likely won't be getting over a half back and can still miss all those few Alted ones... U understand your pain and a wish of improvement.

Tales of Ostlea has multiclutches only but no auto abandoning, and it works. I fail to see what does the auto APing mechanics hipothetically improve on DC, especially since holidays block the AP way too long anyway and holiday-empty AP would NOT be the case anyways as many people breed to AP just for the sake of it +scroll limits and different goals would make most of people AP all but one or two per clutch anyway...(well, I will breed all to AP too once I finish the given pair's family set). So yeah, the only argument of some kind of spreading and filling AP that was given for holidays doesn't convince me at all. Especially now, after the re-releases got introduced and everyone can breed themselves a 2g of any holiday(<3). The Celestials seem to only have the auto-APing BECAUSE holidays, being the only multiclutching thing before Celestials, have it...

Edited by VixenDra

48 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

I fail to see what does the auto APing mechanics hipothetically improve on DC,

It drops eggs to the AP that people who don't have the means to breed them can catch. It also prevents hoarding.

38 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It drops eggs to the AP that people who don't have the means to breed them can catch. It also prevents hoarding.

I disagree.

1. We have re-releases. Now everyone can have even a CB of each holiday and have the means to breed even 2gens. AP ones are no longer needed and bloodswap trades could easly replace the need of AP finds here... and not that AP would not containneat lines anyways vast majority needs just 1 egg per bloodline anyways, but could have an easier time blood swapping if they could keep more than 1 egg per clutch).

2. In what way hoarding is prevented by the multiclutches auto-APing? you can grab lowtime AP eggs and insta--hatch after a few days since the breeding window started and end up with even more than you would be able to if you only relied on self-bred eggs... you can breed max 16 self bred holidays a year because that's how long it takes to hatch them. and if you have enough pairs and a wish to do so, you can self-breed 16 a year, but you can possibly AP catch way more - it's either one or the other kinda. So the auto APing is rather the opposite than a hoarding prevention... it makes hoarding only easier if anything. (well, I for instance catch placeholders and then release them when my pair breeds the aimed one. = more of the breed flies through my scroll than it would if I didn't need the placeholders for the self-bredds)

3. People would still breed to AP, many people DO breed just to AP anyways, just for the sake of it(and you could hear from some of them doing so in the forum!), and without keeping any from some of the clutches for themselves, because e.g. scroll limits not being sufficient to keep even one per owned&bred pair. besides, with re-releases, CBs availability reduces the number of eggs people can pick from AP anyway - because at least some are to be locked with some CBs (Every year some players miss a holiday release, because around-time issues or a longer hiatus).

I'm fully convinced the past+changes indicates things won't get ruined if multicluthes APing no longer occured...

So, how DOES that auto APing clutches mechanic improve DC actually? how is it necessary for the game to work? Things will certainly work without it, at least based on what reasons for that mechanic I've ever heard of and how easy those are to deny...

Edited by VixenDra

We disagree. Why does this not surprise me :) I know you often like to keep all your babies - I have seen so many of yours in the AP asking to be returned. I;d prefer mine to go to others who will value them.

But remember - for bred eggs there ARE no scroll limits any more.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

The mechanic of only allowing us to keep one egg from a multi-clutch is from the days when eggs were scarce and both cave and ap were frequently empty. It was a way of spreading eggs around so everyone had at least a chance of getting one to raise.

As such I don't think the mechanic is as important to the game as it once was. Now there are more than plenty eggs for everyone playing. However, it still does spread around the more desirable, rarer eggs from special dragons so I think there is still value in it. How many of you would have a hope of trading for, say, a 2nd gen Thuwed Holly, or a 2nd gen Garland from spriter's alt? With this mechanic though you have a real chance of finding one of those in the ap. Not a huge chance of course. You'd have to be lucky enough to be hunting when they hit the ap and lucky enough to grab the egg to see what the lineage was.

I don’t want to see multiclutches being kept all on one scroll. While I can see the obvious benefits, I think spreading desirable eggs throughout the AP is a far higher one. Many people have caught precious things in the AP precisely because the mechanic exists.

I can see both sides, especially speaking from a lore-standpoint it doesn't make all that much sense to see the eggs your dragon bred but not have an option to keep more then one. However, I really like the way multi-clutches have always been dealt with, and I think it does do more for the playerbase as a whole to have some of those eggs auto-abandon. Sure, we have holiday re-releases now, but things like CB Prizes are still completely unobtainable for the majority of players (as well as 2nd-gens, often, since so many people want only blood-swaps in trades). Even CB Golds are fairly impossible for some people to get. Which means that if and when those dragons are bred with a Celestial, there will be a few lucky people in the AP who can have a chance at actually getting a 2nd-gen Gold or Prize.

Considering that multi-clutches are not the norm of gameplay, I don't see a lot of reason to tinker with them specifically.

However I fall in the camp of spreading the love.  Having the extra eggs auto-abandon has been part of DC's history the entire time and allows people to find lineages that they wouldn't typically discover.  I always watch the "Great Lineages Found in the AP" thread when holiday breeding comes around!  :)

I wouldn't mind seeing some lore text in there to explain why you only choose to keep one instead of all of them, though.  Otherwise it does look like a pointless unexplained game mechanic.

Maybe something like, "The dragons breed to produce several eggs.  However, to prevent sibling hatchlings from fighting, you decide to keep only one."

36 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

However I fall in the camp of spreading the love.  Having the extra eggs auto-abandon has been part of DC's history the entire time and allows people to find lineages that they wouldn't typically discover.  I always watch the "Great Lineages Found in the AP" thread when holiday breeding comes around!  :)

I wouldn't mind seeing some lore text in there to explain why you only choose to keep one instead of all of them, though.  Otherwise it does look like a pointless unexplained game mechanic.

Maybe something like, "The dragons breed to produce several eggs.  However, to prevent sibling hatchlings from fighting, you decide to keep only one."

I think this sort of flavor text would be nice. I don't want up see the multiclutch auto-AP mechanic disappear either, as I think it is a good tradition that should be kept. Perhaps a bit of lore that suggests that caring for sibling hatchlings is much harder than other groups of hatchlings could be generated.

This is so funny that (I am locked) I decided to try it. Somewhere in that AP is a gold from Celestial :)

And I am delighted that someone will have the opportunity to grab it :)

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I don’t want to see multiclutches being kept all on one scroll. While I can see the obvious benefits, I think spreading desirable eggs throughout the AP is a far higher one. Many people have caught precious things in the AP precisely because the mechanic exists.

I totally and wholeheartedly agree with this. Especially during holidays. For the same reason, I actually like the vampire repulsion mechanic. Without the "choose one egg from multi-clutches", I'd never have gotten this lady, as well as way too many other great holiday lineages. 

I don’t think that particular explanation holds much weight, since people can snag holiday siblings from the AP and obviously the game doesn’t care.

I don’t think an explanation is really needed (the whole game is based on several foundations of gameplay > realism), but if people want one, maybe have the parent dragons decide to leave the other eggs in other’s care (doesn’t make much sense either but neither does parent dragons letting us dump their babies at all, so hey) or you simply deciding to share the brood.

I understand the notion of wanting to ‘share the love’ - I’m not that much of a grinch - but couldn’t that be a choice that the player gets to decide on? If some people get two rares from a clutch you’d be able to choose to keep one and AP the other, but for somebody like me who has been trying for a Black Alt for 5 years to no avail, I’d be able to keep the Black eggs and abandon the rest.

Regarding lore, I still find it weird that a mother dragon would just watch you kick away most of her offspring to an abandoned pile. Heck, mother chicken can get aggressive when you try to take her eggs - I wouldn’t like to be on the receiving end of a dragon’s broody rage.

Imagine the same thing with a Celestial x Gold or Celestial x Prize pairing, and you can imagine why it might not seem like a good idea.

You wouldn't know you'd got an alt till much later, anyway.

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

You wouldn't know you'd got an alt till much later, anyway.

That's the point. That's why I want to keep all my eggs.

Why not just breed a shedload of black to black ?

Then don't breed with Celestials?

@RealWilliamShakespeare The only thing I can say to that is, get more pairs to breed. Neither are hard to catch breeds. The cooldown period is annoying with celestials, but if they have enough you can keep breeding every week until you get one.

@RealWilliamShakespeare As you said, lore is already weird regarding how we and parent dragons treat eggs, so I don’t think there’s a case to make changes to just one part of that weirdness for lore reasons. The lore is always going to be a bit weird.

As others have said, pick up more pairs. Both breeds are pretty common. Celestials are probably dominating Blacks ratio-wise, so the more pairs the merrier (or just do Black x Black). Name the parents to indicate you’ll try to pay for the return of Black eggs. Look for trades for Alt Blacks. Support the Store idea and its alt chance increasing potions.

But please don’t take away multiclutch auto abandon. Some people might still be generous, of course, but I’m guessing the amount of nice rare things hitting the AP would plummet, and I don’t want that to happen.

Sigh. I don't breed with Celestials, aside from when I first discovered the clutch option and assumed, logically, that I'd be able to take enough to fill my egg slots. The reason I would breed with Celestials is because then I could get more than one at the same time. If multi-clutching was actually beneficial to the breeder, maybe I would breed with them, because at the moment the only people clutching benefits are other users. If other people want to breed to drop in the AP, they could do that themselves. At least we should have the option.

My problem is not with my Black eggs, it's that I would like to be able to take more than just one from a clutch. It was an example, please don't get caught up on it.