Fortune86

Moments where you only just made it.

A thread to share those times where you only just managed to achieve your objective, whether it is winning a race by .02 seconds or beating a boss with 1 HP left. 

In the Technomancer there are arena type fights as part of a side quest, with each chapter having three rounds with two or more stages. Every time you win a stage, your HP is filled ready for the next one. 

Yesterday I was fighting against a particularly nasty enemy alongside my in-game companions. We managed to knock down his health bar to nearly empty, but at the very last moment he spammed an attack that wiped out my own HP bar. Since this this is one of those games where you get game over if the protagonist dies, I was sure I was dead.

However, just before my body hit the ground and my death registered, one of my companions, rather aptly nicknamed 'Lucky', got in one last shot and killed the enemy, winning us the fight and causing my HP bar to instantly fill. Cue next stage and the game resuming as normal. 

I have had that before, but I have forgotten most of them.

I just remember one time on Fallout 4, I was playing a new-ish character and was still low-level and currently low-health and trying to conserve healing.  I ran into the random even of two deathclaws fighting.  I was able to stealth and watch them, the loser made a run for it and almost ran into me, but Piper managed to aggro the second.  It turned to me and ran at me.  Thankfully, due to its fight, it had fairly low health, so I used my low-level weapon and in VAATS targeted its belly as many times as possible.  It was in mid leap at this point, but somehow I managed to kill it just before it hit me with my last short.  It was almost like a movie scene really.

That one time playing monster hunter and my foe and I traded killing blows while I was on my last cart and I completed the quest anyway.

Pretty much anytime I won a fight in monster Hunter when I had only one cart left and very few Mega Potions, Potions, Herbs, Lifepowders, etc left.

One time when I was playing Skyrim I went to fight a dragon priest and forgot to grab potions and food. I couldn't heal, and ran out of arrows mid-battle. My only hope was my daedric warhammer, and I was able to kill em' with a sliver of HP.

I remember my first playthrough of SRW OG 2 and going up against the Inspectors the first time around. I got knocked around so hard that by the time the battle was over I lost several units and only had Kyosuke and Excellen narrowly beating the boss via Rampage Ghost.

I was doing a raid with another 19 people (20 man raid). There are several time sensitive dungeons, and I was assigned as a DPS in one of them (Battleship, aka "boat"). I don't remember how long the duration the boat stays up for (the timer ticks down once it spawns), but 150 seconds are bare minimum required to clear it. So when I realized others aren't able to clear the dungeons required to clear the phase 1, so I entered the boat at about 155 seconds.

I just cleared it when the timer displayed 0. Chaos ensued shortly after.

1 hour ago, Naraku said:

I was doing a raid with another 19 people (20 man raid). There are several time sensitive dungeons, and I was assigned as a DPS in one of them (Battleship, aka "boat"). I don't remember how long the duration the boat stays up for (the timer ticks down once it spawns), but 150 seconds are bare minimum required to clear it. So when I realized others aren't able to clear the dungeons required to clear the phase 1, so I entered the boat at about 155 seconds.

I just cleared it when the timer displayed 0. Chaos ensued shortly after.

Kancolle?

29 minutes ago, SarkhanVol said:

Kancolle?

Nope, dunno what that is. The game I was referring to is Dungeon Fighter Online. Do Kancolle have a battleship in raid too? Interesting coincidence.

This is what it looks like if you're curious: (the timer on the top right is for the whole phase 1, separate from the timer i was referring to)

Edited by Naraku

38 minutes ago, Naraku said:

Nope, dunno what that is. The game I was referring to is Dungeon Fighter Online. Do Kancolle have a battleship in raid too? Interesting coincidence.

This is what it looks like if you're curious: (the timer on the top right is for the whole phase 1, separate from the timer i was referring to)

Aye, Kancolle is all about battleships. Well, anthromorphic battleships in the form of shipgirls but battleships nonetheless. Ranging from Yamato to Hamakaze to aircraft carriers like Haruna or Kaga or submarines like 168 and 5-8. It's a game that involves A LOT of resource management, gathering materials, finding prime maps that will increase the odds of your victory, and nightmarish raid maps that can literally take hours on end to complete. (The E3 and E4 maps are quite literally Hell Incarnate)

The most memorable moment when I only just made it was probably during that dreaded end-game singleplayer quest in Monster Hunter Freedom 2 where you had to fight two Rajangs at the same time, at the same place in the Great Arena. I was on my last cart (life) and had ran out of everything (potions, mega potions, herbs, farcaster, the whole lot) and was at half my health. One Rajang had fallen but the other was (regrettably) in rage mode and, due to being a longsword main, I couldn't block at all and was therefore pretty done for if I made the wrong move (you couldn't mount monsters back then like you can now so my best shot was to pick hits carefully and then dodge frantically.) 

Luckily, at less than 5 minutes till game over, I did manage to slay the last Rajang and so I finished MHF2 multiplayer as the noob I was just in time at least till MHFU came out but damn, that quest was trickier than hunting the Fatalis back in those days.

I also remember a similar event when I was even more of a noob fighting a Tigrex in MHF2 with a flimsy, low-damage Sword and Shield (my MHF main.) Like with the Rajangs, I was on my last legs and only managed to slay the Tigrex in literal SECONDS before the quest would fail. Was very exhilarated by this.

Recently in Horizon:  Zero Dawn I was fighting these two corrupted rockbreakers while under-leveled.  If you don't know what rockbreakers are, they are very strong machines that burrow under the ground and like to surface right underneath you.  This move takes off a HUGE chunk of HP.  I had found a location where they couldn't get me with this move, but they could still throw rocks at me.  Even the rock throwing hurts.  Anyways, I managed to take them down with a small amount of HP left, without any healing left at all.  One rock would've killed me.

Tibia: Doing the greenhorn challenge in Svargrond with my sorcerer.

9 of 10 opponents can be killed with fire. The 10th is immune to fire.

Only some reckless function key smashing saved me from getting killed.