Jazeki

Add "Official" Writers/ Open Writing Submissions

Hello! I know that this was brought up a while back and I've seen comments here and there about how events seem "undeveloped" and "rushed" or it seems like there aren't enough artists around to help with events that have a lot of written content--like this past Christmas Event or the Valentine's Event. Would it be possible to add official DC writers to the list of staff or open writing submissions for them to help out?

I know from a previous thread that there was a problem with secrecy and wanting events to be kept a surprise, so maybe having official writers that TJ/artists have already vetted/chosen would help with that. I am aware that the art/spritework is what's favored on DC, but I think this would really help as there is more focus on lore/world-building and there are fewer active artists around to help with everything.

Editing to add that I'd be super okay with writers helping with official dragon descriptions and things like that as well. 

Edited by Jazeki

Totally in support of this.

Honestly I'm shocked this hasn't happened already, especially with the story-heavy events we've had.

Writers are artists and deserve recognition too. Its pretty frustrating that so many petsites just shrug writing off and pass it along to the people who make their digital art as an extra chore instead of getting actual writers.

That would be awesome, not just for events. So you have a dragon concept and a spriter or are one yourself, but aren't (or just don't think you might be) good at writing an on-site breed description? "Hire" a writer!

I could imagine some christmas dragons being the first to enjoy a "feature" like that!

I would love for this to happen. I am an artist, but not in the way that most people around me seem to mean when they say that. I cannot draw or sprite or anything for the life of me, but I can write. I would love to help the site out in a way other than generating ad revenue and suggesting things. I'm not sure I'd be good enough to have my work used or anything, but it would be fun to try. I agree with @Ruby Eyes that it could also be useful for other stuff. I would love to help someone with writing the breed description for a dragon they're suggesting. I think it would also be helpful to have someone proofreading information, too. Just look at how many typos and grammar errors are mentioned in Grammar Patrol!

I can imagine this would help lessen the stress on the artist already working on creating the events too. I always believed there should have been someone whose task it was to write the stories behind the events. This writer could also write lore, check for spelling and punctuation errors in dragon descriptions and maybe even write some descriptions themselves.

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

That would be awesome, not just for events. So you have a dragon concept and a spriter or are one yourself, but aren't (or just don't think you might be) good at writing an on-site breed description? "Hire" a writer!

I could imagine some christmas dragons being the first to enjoy a "feature" like that!

As one with an dragon concept myself but fear how i might end up putting it into words (as english is not my native language and i think i would get problems with phrasing everything correctly), i would totally like to ask someone to help me out and be part of my project as well.

Concept maker, writer & spriter sounds like an perfect team for me for future dragon concepts!

Omg I would totally love to write descriptions for dragons and events! I'm all in support for this

I'm a writer for my day job, and I have to confess to having written some backstory etc for my dragons and would LOVE to be able to contribute. I'm not a great artist and even spriting was difficult, but writing I can - and would love - to help out with. 

Please yes. While I think the"staff" artists do a pretty decent job with the events, I'd like to see new blood get involved in creating material, especially those with a passion for writing.

On 1/14/2018 at 4:58 PM, Bison said:

Writers are artists and deserve recognition too. Its pretty frustrating that so many petsites just shrug writing off and pass it along to the people who make their digital art as an extra chore instead of getting actual writers.

I have a degree with a minor in creative writing, I'm not sure how much I can say but the problem definitely is NOT that we don't have "actual" writers or that it's an "extra chore" the artists have to do.

Tentative support for getting more writers on board, but with the addendum that this is a more complex issue than the first post suggests and this isn't something that can just happen overnight or that could or should necessarily be open to random applications.

1 hour ago, TCA said:

I have a degree with a minor in creative writing, I'm not sure how much I can say but the problem definitely is NOT that we don't have "actual" writers or that it's an "extra chore" the artists have to do.

Tentative support for getting more writers on board, but with the addendum that this is a more complex issue than the first post suggests and this isn't something that can just happen overnight or that could or should necessarily be open to random applications.

Thanks for weighing in. I never intended to imply that artists weren't qualified or make it seem like a dismissive issue--just pointing out that those seem to be the general sentiments. I also am aware that the last time this was brought up, there were conflicting opinions. Some mentioned secrecy as a concern. Other artists were of the opinion that everything was fine as-is. 

I also don't want to make it seem like applications and submissions would be randomly thrown at artists and TJ. I imagine that there would be some sort of process or queue. 

I'm a writer and would love to help DC with anything it needs, whether events or much more boring/routine textwork, FWIW. I'm sure many of us would if we were asked. But yes, there would definitely have to be a process for it. Open hiring, hire some people, then close it when you have what you need for now.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I have always had a passion for writing (I spend a lot of time in the RP section) and I would LOVE to see this happen. I always feel like writers are overlooked in favour of makers of visual art - especially in dragon requests here. It's almost impossible to get a new request topic approved without at least some form of sprite or a very (very!) detailed description of the dragon's looks, which is a problem that plagued all of my attempts as I like to think of the backstory, behaviour and general appearance of a dragon breed - and create a full set of descriptions and encyclopedia info - before fully fleshing out any sprite ideas. (I also can't sprite. Or draw. XD) However, I have seen topics with nothing more than a sprite set and a name be accepted. I doubt that the focus on sprites will change, given that this is a sprite collecting site, but it would be nice to see some recognition for those who contribute their written art!

(long rambly post is long and rambly)

Maybe people who would like to write should post their names, here or in some other thread, and visual artists or event creators can then contact them when they need help ?

Fuzz, this thread is more to bring attention to the possibility of adding official writers or finding some way to introduce "approved" writing than to simply list everyone who would love to lend a hand at writing for DC.  I'm sure many of the people who are offering support would also love to offer their creative services.  I also am not quite sure where another separate thread would even go.

Nor am I - just that TCA has pointed out that it isn't as simple as it might seem.

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Nor am I - just that TCA has pointed out that it isn't as simple as it might seem.

Yes, I understand that, and am aware that there probably be no further discussion on the topic, but I'd rather this remain as an actual suggestion that TJ can see people support instead of a list of names of people who want to write.  Then it's not a suggestion. It's a roster. 

I hope that one day we'll get a response from TJ that goes beyond "it's complicated" when it comes to adding new writers. I'd also rather writers go through some sort of approval process, just as mods and artists do, so as to adhere to some sort of quality standard. 

Even so, if someone else wants to make a thread somewhere, I'll gladly put my name on it.