SaberToothMC

Why on earth is it so hard to edit your profile?

I haven't changed the text on my profile for at least a year... and upon trying I realised why.

This website is quite possibly the most infuriating website I have ever used to edit text.

Just noticed a typo? Well you might irreversably **** up several words attempting to fix it... You're really better off just deleting the whole rest of the paragraph after, and rewriting it carefully after fixing said typo. OH but wait, it gets worse. Sometimes that is even hell. If you remove one fullstop, you might merge an entire other paragraph with that one, which can't be fixed without complete deletion and re-typing of the paragraph you merged. That's if this site decides to grant you ****ing mercy... I personally screwed all the formatting I had spent 30 minutes messing with, all because I removed one word. That's what frankly had me rage quit and write this. I mean geez I haven't been this pissed since moving an image one pixel to the left in microsoft word ruined the formatting on a final essay...

All I'm saying is Dragcave staff... your text editing is harder than a triple fused void petaminx, I'm not asking for some hand holding software here, just make it so I'm not foaming at the mouth trying to change 'they're' into 'their'.

Side Note: I had no clue where to put this thread... but help seemed appropriate. Apologies if this is the incorrect area haha

TJ can't change the basic nature of the forum. You might want to just use an external text editor to edit your profile and paste it in if you're having that much trouble with it.

Personally, I haven't had any issues with editing my profile? I just hit backspace and type the correct information in. The only thing that bothers me is the tiny box, but it can be expanded on desktop. 

Anyway, I agree that typing up your profile outside of the editor and pasting it in might be easier. I hope you can find a way to make editing less frustrating, because I can see why it annoys you.

30 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

TJ can't change the basic nature of the forum. You might want to just use an external text editor to edit your profile and paste it in if you're having that much trouble with it.

I might, or I just won't bother. I'm not on the forums enough to really justify updating my profile too much.

It's the new invision software. It is ONLY WYSIWYG editing now - TJ was asked for something else (Tables) - and even BBcode won't work. There's nothing he can do.

Complain to invision.

Though I have to say I didn't actually have any issues updating mine, and I'm not very techy.

The publicly visible profile part (the Interests box) doesn't even have any formatting or use that blasted wysiwyg editor, so I'm guessing you're refering to the private Notepad box? Since that one isn't visible to anyone but yourself, it may actually be easier for you to use something external, like google docs or spreadsheets?

41 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

The publicly visible profile part (the Interests box) doesn't even have any formatting or use that blasted wysiwyg editor, so I'm guessing you're refering to the private Notepad box? Since that one isn't visible to anyone but yourself, it may actually be easier for you to use something external, like google docs or spreadsheets?

I thought they might be talking about their signature instead? Maybe?

I can relate, though. Invision's WYSIWYG is awful and I've had to back out of posts more than once just to clear out some formatting tag that the editor apparently couldn't figure out how to close and try again. There are workarounds to all of it but none of it is convenient.

18 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

They did talk about editing their profile, while the signature can be found in your account settings. It's all just speculation anyway.

But there is nothing TJ can do.

I said this would happen when he first suggested upgrading some years ago. I BEGGED him to look at a different platform and he did say at that time that if the things I specifically mentioned were indeed a part of the upgrade, he wouldn't  do it. But times move on and I guess invision pretty much forced it ?

I was on a forum that died precisely because of invision's upgrade. None of us could stand it; invision wouldn't let us go back, so we all migrated. One of the killers was not being able to archive messages. And this WYSYWIG is beyond even that.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

It is annoying when I go to type words requiring a ' symbol because my spellcheck in my phone tries to offer me the words and when I select it like for example; I've - it always messes with the word making it look like; I'v - or 've - and if I try to correct it, it messes it up even further.  Thats the worst I've seen and while it is annoying, I try my best to deal with it. Tho, if that could be tweaked I certainly wouldn't complain. 

That's your phone's doing though. Personally, I despite that kind of nosy spellcheckers and always switch them off.

2 hours ago, LibbyLishly said:

I can relate, though. Invision's WYSIWYG is awful and I've had to back out of posts more than once just to clear out some formatting tag that the editor apparently couldn't figure out how to close and try again. There are workarounds to all of it but none of it is convenient.

Because as far as I have SEEN there isn't even the OPTION for much editing, ( Fonts,bolding and such) For the profile info? Or am I missing something.

No, profile info is just plain text - no extra formatting can be done. My memory is not the best but as far back as I can remember it's always been that way.

I'm sort of inclined to think this is more of a computer or browser issue then the forums itself. I just tried to update my profile (the 'interests' part specifically) and had no issue at all, I changed words in the middle of a sentence, backspaced and typed and messed with paragraphs, and there was no problem with it at all. In the past I've had issues with my browser having some sort of setting switched on where it writes over text in the middle of a paragraph instead of just adding text, could that be the issue here?

12 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

I'm sort of inclined to think this is more of a computer or browser issue then the forums itself. I just tried to update my profile (the 'interests' part specifically) and had no issue at all, I changed words in the middle of a sentence, backspaced and typed and messed with paragraphs, and there was no problem with it at all. In the past I've had issues with my browser having some sort of setting switched on where it writes over text in the middle of a paragraph instead of just adding text, could that be the issue here?

I am SORT of wondering about this, too.

Because I have been working on my profile within the last day or two and haven't experienced the problems the OP mentioned?

Could be a  matter of whatever browser they use NOT wanting to play nicely with the forum.

15 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's the new invision software. It is ONLY WYSIWYG editing now - TJ was asked for something else (Tables) - and even BBcode won't work. There's nothing he can do.

Complain to invision.

Though I have to say I didn't actually have any issues updating mine, and I'm not very techy.

Oh that is rough, bad base software can really **** stuff up.

7 hours ago, Marie19R said:

Using Chrome, maybe I'll hop over to vivaldi or explorer and see if stuff keeps happening.

Could also be the computer, this is a new one.

8 hours ago, Terces said:

No, profile info is just plain text - no extra formatting can be done. My memory is not the best but as far back as I can remember it's always been that way.

By 'formatting' I meant just spacing my paragraphs apart

Like this^

I do it a lot and it bugs me to no end when weird stuff happens, such as words being magically transported to mid paragraph...  Though judging by the responses here I feel as if that could more be on my PC, than the editing

Edited by SaberToothMC

9 hours ago, Syiren said:

It is annoying when I go to type words requiring a ' symbol because my spellcheck in my phone tries to offer me the words and when I select it like for example; I've - it always messes with the word making it look like; I'v - or 've - and if I try to correct it, it messes it up even further.  Thats the worst I've seen and while it is annoying, I try my best to deal with it. Tho, if that could be tweaked I certainly wouldn't complain. 

Autocorrect is definitely my arch nemesis lol

19 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

That's your phone's doing though. Personally, I despite that kind of nosy spellcheckers and always switch them off.

Actually, no, I don't think it is. It only does that to me on this forum.