Leneth.

Warning points?

Are warning points there forever?
I mean, I got one point back in 2011, dont remember what for ...
But its kind of sad seeing this every time I open the forums, especially since I dont remember what I did, and its been so many years... 
Will it be there for ever?

There was some goofiness with the warning system when the forums were upgraded.  Warning points normally expire after a short period of time.

Don't worry, although the warning is there, no consequences are being applied from it.

I was able to go into your profile and manually revoke it.

Edited by LadyLyzar

Thanks, Lady Lyzar :) 
Nice to be able to be here without the reminder that I was naughty in some way I dont remember seven years ago :P 

Edited by Leneth.

I have one lingering from 2011 as well, and it seems to be the only one that stuck? My points might also be wonky, I'm not even 100% sure how this new system works :P

I revoked yours, Kaini, it shouldn't have persisted. We've let TJ know about the problem.

TJ has fixed the warning points for outdated warns.  The old warns still exist (they stay in your logs) but they are no longer applying any active warning points.

Thanks. It was getting old. (6.5 years five days from now...)

Even if it says "0 points" do I have to see this  big red dot forever? If yes, I'll need to write myself another custom stylesheet ...

I've got two warning points that should have expired as well.  I just am tired of seeing those on my profile.  (Seeing the two little points is tempting my dark side to max them out with a raucous, filthy tirade.)

must. fight. the urge. to. type profanity😖

Yah, ditto on having old warnings sitting around. While it's not a huge deal and certainly pretty low on the priority list, I do hang my head in shame a little every time I go to my profile and see those warnings from years ago reminding me of naughtiness. If there's some easy way to clear them out of sight it would be much appreicated. X'D

I have an expired one too - and (ahem) it isn't a left-over from the old software - I confess I am pretty sure  got it since the "upgrade". I would quite like not to see it.

Unless there's a way for TJ to change it (I'm not overly familiar with what the forum can and cannot do regarding user interface) I am guessing the dots are there forever because that's how the new forum displays your warn log.  I will ask if there's a different way to display them on this software.

The new forum system is definitely more visually jarring with the display of old warns.  It has its pros and cons.  On the old system, it was hard to find your old warn log since the display system was sort of counter-intuitive, so we were always asked how to find it.  Even on the old system, warning logs could only be viewed by the user in question and by staff to see if we were dealing with a repeat problem.  This is still true on the new system - no one but you and staff will ever know.

For this topic, I was mostly worried about the ones from 2011 that were reappearing since the upgrade and showing warning points that shouldn't be in play.

@LadyLyzar How *do* you see your old warn or 'warn log' or whatever? I was poking around to see if I had the 'phantom warns' talked about in this thread, and it doesn't seem like I do, but I can't see any 'warn log' at all. 

I THINK most people who had expired warns from before the upgrade mostly lost them. My apparently forever one (from LadyLyzar actually :lol:) is from after the upgrade, so I am likely stuck with it. MAYBE TJ could find something less obtrusive than the big button, though ? It is kind of in your face when you are actually being a GOOD person now....

5a7dc8ffa15c9_Image1.png.c35c771e44254396f97913eda005b014.png

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I have had a couple warnings over time, but none recently, definitely none since the forum upgrade, so possibly the upgrade wiped the history of very-old warns? There is nothing at all listed in that warnings link. (I know I did have a few warnings in the past, I very much remember my anxiety over getting them, but they were fairly long ago.)

Love ya Fuzz.  It's hard to warn those who I consider friends but I have to be fair.

The forum upgrade ate all warn logs between sometime in 2011 and when the upgrade occurred.  Not sure why, but that's part of the fun of software I guess - bugs.  If you had a warn during that time period, it's gone.

I'll let you know once I know something about the display.  I can definitely see that display being harsh and I do wonder if there is a way to change the user interface around a bit.  I was not involved in the forum upgrade though, so I have no knowledge of what the software can and cannot do.

However, even if it's there, if you have 0 warning points, nothing is in effect anymore.

49 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

Love ya Fuzz.  It's hard to warn those who I consider friends but I have to be fair.

The forum upgrade ate all warn logs between sometime in 2011 and when the upgrade occurred.  Not sure why, but that's part of the fun of software I guess - bugs.  If you had a warn during that time period, it's gone.

I'll let you know once I know something about the display.  I can definitely see that display being harsh and I do wonder if there is a way to change the user interface around a bit.  I was not involved in the forum upgrade though, so I have no knowledge of what the software can and cannot do.

However, even if it's there, if you have 0 warning points, nothing is in effect anymore.

Oh I asked for it. But so did the person it was aimed at ;) (I do think it's a shame that unlike the old way, you can't see what it WAS that you posted that copped you the warn...)

Edited by Fuzzbucket

What does the little green checkmark next to the big red dot mean? Who acknowledged what for it to appear?

I think it means I read it when it happened.

So that LadyLyzar knew I had seen it.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

20 hours ago, LadyLyzar said:

Does that mean I can finally have my one warning point from July 2011 removed? Pretty please? 

The acknowledgement is a new thing we are trying out.  The idea is that a warning needs to be read/acknowledged before the user can post again.  This way a warning is sure to be seen, carries more weight, and will hopefully be more effective in deterring repeat behavior.

@olympe Oops I thought that TJ had removed all the weird negative warn points from the upgrade.  I'll poke him again - it seems some were still missed.

Edited by LadyLyzar

I have a question; if we have a warning point, but there's nothing under /warning does that mean that it's not recent enough to stick? Is it something we can have removed?

I had a warning back from before the forum upgrade, but I don't know what it was for anymore, and I'm not sure if it still counts against me? Or if it's a new warning, I don't know. I see no red dot or anything.