Ruby Eyes

Option to link progeny page for specific mate

So my dragons usually don't have lifetime mates, since I use them for lots of lineages, and often their progeny page looks quite crowded and cluttered, no matter which mate you are looking at.

E.g. my Stripeds: https://dragcave.net/progeny/vpHT

Most of the time though I want to show off the progeny of a dragon with only a single mate, say, the Striped one. Look at those PBs!

So I was wondering if there could be an option to link to the progeny listing of my Striped lad with the Striped guy, e.g.

https://dragcave.net/progeny/vpHT/mate/9BKKK

(obviously, that extension doesn't do anything yet, this is just what the link syntax might look like)

Also with names, of course:

https://dragcave.net/progeny/n/Daisy Velvet/mate/9BKKK

https://dragcave.net/progeny/n/Daisy Velvet/mate/n/Sean Shards

https://dragcave.net/progeny/vpHT/mate/n/Sean Shards

since I know many of my dragons by name, not by code :lol:

Adding a tiny link next to the mate's name on the complete progeny page to limit the listing to *this* mate might be nice, too, like this:

[dragon's image] Name of the Dragon in Question

[mate #1's image] with mate #1's name (just this)

... [offspring #1] etc

[mate #2's image] with mate #2's name (just this)

... [offspring #7] etc

[mate #3's image] with mate #3's name (just this)

... [offspring #23] etc

And when the list is already limited to this specific mate, it could look like this:

[dragon's image] Name of the Dragon in Question

[mate #2's image] with mate #2's name

... [offspring #7] etc

(show all mates)

Totally support! Admittedly I don't personally have much use for this, but it sure would come in handy for a lot of people. I see many people around here linking progeny pages, and I'm sure it would be very useful to be able to specifically link to the progeny with a specific mate, instead of going 'here is the cluttered progeny page, what I'm talking about is the one halfway down the page...' etc.

Support! A method for simplifying the progeny page when I need to would come in handy.

Great idea! At least 90% of the time I am linking to the progeny page it is just to show the offspring with one specific mate. Like Ruby Eyes I don't have life mates for my dragons so with some of them it can be a bit of a challenge to find the mate you might be looking for among the others in the list.

So.. for example IF I wanted to single out one PARTICULAR pair for shaming cus they are failing to produce, I could. ( Got a pair that NEEDS it right now, too... :P )

Even IF said dragons have offspring by other dragons?

Interesting idea. Why not?

Edited by JavaTigress

Support! Sometimes I like to check to see which pairs produced offspring last (like with prizes) or I like to tell people to look for progeny in the AP and it can get really cluttered with a lot of mates.

Personally, I don't see the need for this. If a mate appears in the progeny list, there's bound to be offspring. And if there's offspring, you can simply link that one's lineage to show it off as an example breeding.

53 minutes ago, olympe said:

Personally, I don't see the need for this. If a mate appears in the progeny list, there's bound to be offspring. And if there's offspring, you can simply link that one's lineage to show it off as an example breeding.

Except we aren't allowed to link to dragons that don't belong to us. 

We may if they're grown up so there's no way to do them any harm. Or am I misinformed?

Support if it's not too much trouble to add. This is not something I super need personally, but I can see it being handy and would use it every now and then.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

It's not just about the lineage though, I sometimes want to show how many of a certain breed of dragon I've gotten from a pairing, or the cool names people have given the offspring. I'd rather send one progeny link than several separate lineage ones, especially on mobile where tabs and copy-pasting is a hassle.

Can I say the new progeny page needs work in general? The old page used to show offspring the dragon has with a  dead dragon; 'with a deceased partner', but now it doesn't. Clearly his daughter, but doesn't show up on his page.

As far as this suggestion goes, it's harmless enough, and could have a niche use.

Yeah, I agree that the new progeny page needs some updates. I would love to see this suggestion put in place though. 

2 hours ago, MissK. said:

It's not just about the lineage though, I sometimes want to show how many of a certain breed of dragon I've gotten from a pairing, or the cool names people have given the offspring. I'd rather send one progeny link than several separate lineage ones, especially on mobile where tabs and copy-pasting is a hassle.

Very much this. It's not just about one particular lineage that we can use another link for. I often see people linking to the progeny page to show a pairing that has produced tons of one parent's type and none of the other, for instance... That seems to be something that is talked about a lot around here, that certain pairings tend to throw way more of one breed then of the other. With a dragon that has tons of offspring by many different mates, linking to the progeny page isn't all that helpful in showing that breeding bias, it can get very cluttered and sometimes it's hard to take notice of exactly which part of the messy progeny page you should actually be looking at. If it was just about one specific offspring, then yeah link to the lineage... But that's not the only reason people link to the progeny page. 

I really love this idea because I tend to like to gift dragons and breed for people which means I often get requests when breeding for people on certain dragons but I may have those dragons in lineages or things like that so it would be nice to just look at a certain lineages progeny for sure.

On 12/01/2018 at 12:56 AM, Marie19R said:

With a dragon that has tons of offspring by many different mates, linking to the progeny page isn't all that helpful in showing that breeding bias, it can get very cluttered and sometimes it's hard to take notice of exactly which part of the messy progeny page you should actually be looking at.

Exactly. Especially if both mates have offspring with plenty of different partners, like my Stripeds usually do, for example.