Rekha

CB Prize Breeding

3 minutes ago, Gluria said:

The last challenge I had was an IOU with a Whiptail. Still took only about six weeks to produce Shimmer offspring.

I sometimes call her my little rabbit. 😆

Aw, that fast with a common mate? Icarus refuses to produce anythinggg with a common mate. Stubborn.

Here's my guy's progeny - https://dragcave.net/progeny/sclXM

He's currently breeding with a Fire Gem on IOU. All prizefails, he's only failed to give me the "no egg" message once, random times, and I try to give him a day or two between breedings because...supposedly that helps? It seems to, at least. I'm just happy he's not doing what he did last IOU and gave me a month-long egg drought before handing over a shiny. At least I've never gotten any refusals or "no interest" from him on any of his breedings so far.

I've not seen much in terms of mate-switching helping with shiny production, though he REALLY likes that green Copper lady. btw, that's the one that had the month-long egg drought for that first shiny...and now they give me nothing BUT shinies... lol

But yeah, breeding to a new breed is generally a bad idea. Don't count on shinies for a long while for that. That's why...the Ashen is there...until the IOUer changed it, thank goodness. Found that out fast.

35 minutes ago, Kaini said:

Aw, that fast with a common mate? Icarus refuses to produce anythinggg with a common mate. Stubborn.

Yep. I was quite shocked as well tbh. I had expected for it to take more like six MONTHS. XD

I'll try the Arcana pairing as well!

Edited by Gluria

Here's the progeny of my girl. I won her just over a year ago in October 2017.

https://dragcave.net/progeny/utp9s

She's generally pretty good and has given 10 shimmers in that time [I think one died actually so 11?]. However, she is truly hopeless with anything new or common. I tried with spirit ward for ages and gave up. She's been awful with yellow zyumorph too, so the person who I owe that child to has luckily changed their mate request.

Bump for the new winners, of which I am not one :P.

Is anybody else having problems getting anything out of their prizes too?

"You attempt to breed the two dragons, but no egg is produced." - the third week in a row! I did use fertility each time and all three times I bred him to holidays (proven pairs). Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I want to say "no, mine seems to be fine so far" but I'm kinda wary... this could lead to him doing a 180 and not producing anymore 🙈

Judge for yourself:

4 months (July raffle) - 17 breeding sessions -> 5 prizes / 10 prizekins (none were Holiday / GoN breedings)

Just for comparison (if I'm counting offspring anyway) my sister's Tinsel:

2 months (September raffle) - 9 breeding sessions -> 7 prizes / 2 prizekins (5 of the prizes were from Holiday / GoN mate)

Edited by Soulsborne

There was a question about two prizes bred together, if they would always get one kind of offspring, either tinsel or shimmer (or kin, of course)....
This answers that :) https://dragcave.net/progeny/L5XAJ

And my prize Vitiris is about to grow up as well, hope to be lucky on her willngness to breed  :) 

Edited by Leneth.

1 hour ago, Leneth. said:

And my prize Vitiris is about to grow up as well, hope to be lucky on her willngness to breed  :) 

Congrats for winning! Also, good luck and may you never forget to use fertility ^_^

1 hour ago, Soulsborne said:

Congrats for winning! Also, good luck and may you never forget to use fertility ^_^

7 hours ago, Leneth. said:

There was a question about two prizes bred together, if they would always get one kind of offspring, either tinsel or shimmer (or kin, of course)....
This answers that :) https://dragcave.net/progeny/L5XAJ

I don't think the question was so much about breeding two prizes together, because if you breed two different breed of prizes together (Western or Eastern), you get EITHER one and it just rotates randomly, just as if you were doing it with any other breed of dragon.

The problem seems to be that if you are breeding two of the same prize breed, but different colors together, which do you get? On those, it is always ONE color, or at least it was. That would be Eastern x Eastern or Western x Western. Originally, when you bred Holidays of the Same Holiday together, your got the Male's Holiday Type. Now it will Clutch Both Potentially. Just maybe more of one than the other, assuming you get a clutch of 2-4. Originally, with the Same Prize Breed, but colors different, it was always the males color. When I had King Shimmer (Gold) x Queen Shimmer (Silver), They always produce Gold Eggs. I think someone showed me a Progeny Chart where it was all the female. That is entirely possible. Maybe the Female was the "older" one and thus had more weight. I could be misremembering this, but I am pretty someone showed me that. But all Progeny is always the one color only (seeming to favor the male I believe) when it is Same Prize Breed x Same Prize Breed. Different Prizes, it will be either the male or female color, but obviously only the color and breed type of ONE of the prize parents. Not random colors.

I have yet to see this differently, and would love to be proven wrong. I don't know if the code was built that way, or once built that way and some legacy dragons still have the old style, but newer prizes might rotate colors like the Breeding of West Prize x East Prize Does (or vice versa).

I hope that clarifies the answer some people have confusion about, and I don't know if newer prizes still have that around. But I would LOVE it to change in the future if that is a possibility. Mostly because between King Shimmer and Queen Shimmer, I love those Gold Shimmers, but the entire point of Queen Shimmer was to have SOME Silver Babies.... And at this point, that ain't ever gonna happen. Queen Maeve is very disappointed in her grandchildren. They all take after their father, and fathers/males are supposed to be at her whim and disposable. The fact that they are Golden doesn't make her any happier about her daughter's situation. At least she has a harem of admiring Luminae males who just fawn over her at her sole disposal. I have them for no other reason.

Not even my CB Gold Tinsel Prize gets that kind of treatment.

Edited by Natayah

3 hours ago, Natayah said:

The problem seems to be that if you are breeding two of the same prize breed, but different colors together, which do you get? On those, it is always ONE color, or at least it was.

Ah, I see... Thats a whole other question, indeed... 

7 hours ago, Natayah said:

I don't think the question was so much about breeding two prizes together, because if you breed two different breed of prizes together (Western or Eastern), you get EITHER one and it just rotates randomly, just as if you were doing it with any other breed of dragon.

Actually, I did see this question posted with regards to Prize (Western) with Prize (Eastern) breeding together, several weeks ago. Nevertheless, this has been answered with Leneth's progeny link :)

The other issue, the one with the different colours of the same breed, still seems unresolved. :(

What are some popular pairings for a gold shimmer? I'd love some suggestions for something pretty?

Personall

25 minutes ago, smartster4 said:

What are some popular pairings for a gold shimmer? I'd love some suggestions for something pretty?

Personally I'm fond of pillows with the gold shimmers.  Not so much with the gold tinsels or bronze shimmers, oddly enough.  Though bronze tinsels are lovely with pillows, too.  And I've a checker from Snow that I really like for a holiday mate.  I have so few GS perfect checkers . . . -_-.

Good luck on the breeding, and don't forget fertility for first time mates!

12 hours ago, smartster4 said:

Personal opinion is personal ;)

I love anything yellow-y / golden with them, so: Gold Floret, Gold, Golden Wyvern, Yellow Zyu... OR stuff that has yellow + a contrasting colour: Astrapi, Autumn, Summer, Arcana...

You probably get what I mean by now ^_^

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

golden Lunars, too :)

I knew, there had to be more golden breeds but I just couldn't remember :o Why, brain, why?

What are other people's favourites for a male bronze shimmer? I won one in the raffle last month 🙂

3 minutes ago, bonvoyage said:

What are other people's favourites for a male bronze shimmer? I won one in the raffle last month 🙂

Whites and pillows personally

38 minutes ago, Saami said:

https://dragcave.net/progeny/NEfr6 he's being so stubborn 😞

Try breeding him with other mates. Mine seems to only produce shiny offspring with holiday dragons. 

37 minutes ago, bonvoyage said:

I like them with garland dragons the best.