Rekha

CB Prize Breeding

I want to try and make this a very thoughtful thread and one where CB Prize Owners can come to discuss their breeding that is going on and if they are successful or not as well as theories that one might have about breeding. I recently won a CB Prize and the discussion came up in another topic that its good to swap mates every once in a while because of the fact that it could possibly cause a disinterest in them breeding with one another. I have been trying for at least a month to breed for someone on my list and have gotten nothing but tinsel fails and this next week (tomorrow) I will be trying to breed a different pairing for someone else on my list just to see what happens and to try and change it up. I would really enjoy if in this thread we could discuss a myriad of topics such as how we personally breed our Prizes and if we breed with the same mate or swap it often and randomly or what. There are so many different things to discuss when it comes to breeding your Prize that I felt this might be a good topic for us to share with one another. If for some reason people would rather this thread be about ALL Prize Breeding let me know and if enough people want that we can amend it but I think it would be pretty nifty to know how other peoples CB Prizes are breeding. I would also love it if I could figure out a way with enough people willing to participate the actual numbers and create some sort of graph that will show just how things are breeding and at what times and any other interesting little tid bits we might feel relevant to just how well or poorly our Prizes will breed for us.

Current Breeding Progress

With Gaia Xenowyrm > 1.11.18 > TinselKin! This was my first mate swap in a month, still a TinselKin.

With Gaia Xenowyrm > 1.18. 18 > Tinsel Kin! - I used fertility and tried breeding around the time my egg was laid / hatched to see if maybe time was a thing. 

With Summer Seasonal > 1.25.18 > Shiny! - I used fertility and tried breeding at a random time, night time and was successful. Lineage Here!

With Silver Lunar Herald > 2.1.18 > No Egg! - I used fertility and bred at 9:50pm PST, sadly I got no egg. Probably because it was a Lunar Herald. Bummer.

With Radiant Angel > Date Unknown > Tinsel Kin! - I used fertility and bred at a random time. Yay Valentines!

With Silver > Date Unknown > No Egg! - Fertility used, bred at random time. Will try this pairing again later.

With Rainbow Copper > Date Unknown > Shiny! - Fertility was used, bred at random time!

With Gaia Xenowyrm > 3.10.18 > Shiny! - Fertility used, bred at 11:50pm PST. Finally checked this one off my list!

With Holly > 3.17.18 > Shiny! - Fertility used, bred at 3:26am. Another off my list! Wow she has been so wonderful with her breeding lately.

With Celestial > 3.24.18 > No Egg! - Fertility used, bred at 5:35pm. Guess they didn't want to make any babies today.

With Wrapping Wing > 3.31.18 > Shiny! - Fertility used, bred at 5:56pm. And another one off my list! Phew!

With Silver > 4.8.18 > No Interest! - Fertility used, bred at 8:26pm. Booo! Hopefully they are interested next time.

Edited by Rekha

https://dragcave.net/progeny/skRza

This is my prize's progeny. I've been trying to breed a shimmer from Anagallis for a while now. I only have one CB Anagallis, although I have another one that is growing. There have been several no-interest and no-eggs.

I go in order on my list, so that I can be fair.

I was going in order till the person in waiting on my list told me to change it up a bit. Hehe. So I completely understand that feeling. Thank you for posting here, I would love to hear more about how the breeding goes and if you have any luck. Also I seem to catch Anagallis a lot, if I catch another instead or sending it to the AP would you like me to send it to you to help?

2 hours ago, Rekha said:

-snip-Also I seem to catch Anagallis a lot, if I catch another instead or sending it to the AP would you like me to send it to you to help?

Thank you, but I'm fine. I wouldn't want you to have to have an egg slot locked up for 5 hours at minimum, and possibly more if I'm not online at that time. My egg can hatch in two hours, and it should be grown up around the time when I can breed her next. I've been using fertility on each breeding, but it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Yea fertility doesn't seem to be working for me either I've actually tried both with and without since my first breeding went well and I forgot cause I had the perfect idea. Lol. 

I've been told that when it comes to breeding dragons in general, there's a difference between "no egg" and "no interest". When the message reads that there's no egg, you can always rebreed  the pair to try again after cooldown. A "no interest" message however means the dragons won't breed for some time. Now this is just from word of mouth, so I honestly have no idea if it's true or not. I think this is why prize breeders tend to swap mates around.

Anyways, here's my prizes progeny to show his luck with shiny breeding.

https://dragcave.net/progeny/Monet

In general with common mates, the newer the breed, the harder it is to produce a prize. You have to wait for ratios to balance out. (Although trying your luck never hurts. I bred a prize from Almerald right after their release)

There's also something to be said about the massbreeding events we use to regularly have. They helped out a TREMENDOUS amount. A huge increase in commons means the site has to balance them out with more rares and my experience breeding right after them has usually been really good.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Wow you've had some serious luck with one of your dragons and not so much with others. I think I'm in for the long run here this is going to be fun seeing just how well the swapping works. Thank you for pitching in on the conversation. I have heard the same about the no interest VS no egg. 

New breeding update. I tried basing it off of time. Will breed in the afternoon next week and will be back to the summer seasonal. 

So, just thought I'd give you some input.

https://dragcave.net/progeny/aP47x

My boy Airgid only successfully produced a Tinsel, from a common breed over 10 weeks the instant he grew up. Subtract the two Holidays I tried on him during that time and it was 1 success after 8 tries, alternating two common breeds. A rather low success rate, but I hope this helps.

I recently had a discussion with another user about tinsel progeny and the difference between a 2G and CB. When I examined a few progeny pages of various tinsels, I found the rates to be approximately ~ 1/5 to ~1/6 for CB and a slight jump to ~1/3 to ~1/4 for 2G.

Not terrible odds, but as you can see my Tinsel is deciding to be a complete stubborn donkey about producing tinsels, going over that average I mentioned! XD 

On 1/12/2018 at 9:54 AM, Daydreamer09 said:

I've been told that when it comes to breeding dragons in general, there's a difference between "no egg" and "no interest". When the message reads that there's no egg, you can always rebreed  the pair to try again after cooldown. A "no interest" message however means the dragons won't breed for some time. Now this is just from word of mouth, so I honestly have no idea if it's true or not. I think this is why prize breeders tend to swap mates around.

I'm reasonably sure that the basic difference between 'no egg' and 'no interest' is that 'no egg' is based on the ratios of the two parent breeds, and 'no interest' is a flat chance (that might change based on some factors). I won't post any sort of supporting evidence (because it might qualify as reverse-engineering) but if you want to test this for yourself, test breed dozens of pairs of rare x rare and common x common. The rares should give a lot more 'no eggs' than the commons will, but a similar amount of 'no interests'.

If this is true, what does it mean for prize breeding? If a dragon gives 'no egg', it's a potentially viable mate. Again, I'm not going to post details—even though it's just a theory, it's still too close to reverse-engineering—but you should be able to figure out the rest from what I've already said.

1 hour ago, The_Bucket said:

I'm reasonably sure that the basic difference between 'no egg' and 'no interest' is that 'no egg' is based on the ratios of the two parent breeds, and 'no interest' is a flat chance (that might change based on some factors). I won't post any sort of supporting evidence (because it might qualify as reverse-engineering) but if you want to test this for yourself, test breed dozens of pairs of rare x rare and common x common. The rares should give a lot more 'no eggs' than the commons will, but a similar amount of 'no interests'.

If this is true, what does it mean for prize breeding? If a dragon gives 'no egg', it's a potentially viable mate. Again, I'm not going to post details—even though it's just a theory, it's still too close to reverse-engineering—but you should be able to figure out the rest from what I've already said.

I don't think you need to worry about potential reverse engineering because TJ has straight up said that some pairs were less compatible than others. Unfortunately I can't remember what thread he said that in and I think it was a while ago, but what you said is a good summary of the issue.

12 hours ago, Nathair said:

I found the rates to be approximately ~ 1/5 to ~1/6 for CB and a slight jump to ~1/3 to ~1/4 for 2G.

Definitely not terrible odds at all, I will just have to be patient and hope that those on my list are as well. I am unsure if I will be continuing my list once I finish it off however.

9 hours ago, The_Bucket said:

Definitely have my work cut out for me either way.

7 hours ago, Sunfeathers said:

I don't think you need to worry about potential reverse engineering because TJ has straight up said that some pairs were less compatible than others. Unfortunately I can't remember what thread he said that in and I think it was a while ago, but what you said is a good summary of the issue.

I can only hope then for some of the pairings that people have requested, if I don't have a mate that the players will be fine with me trying to breed for others while I work on trading for and or catching a viable mate for them. 

Wow thats like one every... what... 4 months? 

Tonight my baby bred true! I used fertility and tried a random time, night time tonight, and bred with a Summer Seasonal and this was what I got. Lineage Here!

19 hours ago, Rekha said:

Wow thats like one every... what... 4 months? 

Tonight my baby bred true! I used fertility and tried a random time, night time tonight, and bred with a Summer Seasonal and this was what I got. Lineage Here!

Even more time. Some of those breedings have months in between them.

20 minutes ago, dothefreddy said:

Even more time. Some of those breedings have months in between them.

Thats crazy. I don't blame you for closing the list for XFile either. I now understand why Prize Owners have closed lists, I fully intend to close my list once I am done breeding for those on it.

I have Stark for 3 years now too (minus a week) and he produced 21 Shimmers so far. That makes 7 shinies per year-_-

Sounds I'm pretty lucky with my Prize :blink:

Have Rinoa for 3 years now and with the Shimmer she gave me today I'm at 27 Shimmer with non-Holiday mates plus 9 Shimmers from Holiday parents. I always was under them impression that she's breeding especially bad but seems I'm wrong.

I kinda thought Cassi was decent-to-good breeder, apparently she is, 44 shinies in 4 years, 8 from Holiday mates and 4 from a GoN.

Well, Airgid just gave me a second Common shiny two weeks after his last one. Must be a quirk.

2 hours ago, Kiramu said:

My Prize is throwing out mad prize fails - at this rate it's going to take me years to breed my gifts. https://dragcave.net/progeny/NB82g

Monarchs pls.

You definitely need to try something other than Monarchs. They're a nearly-impossible prize mate, at the moment. If you owe someone a 2G with that pairing, ask for a backup, because it's not fair for you to waste months on an impossible pairing.

10 hours ago, The_Bucket said:

You definitely need to try something other than Monarchs. They're a nearly-impossible prize mate, at the moment. If you owe someone a 2G with that pairing, ask for a backup, because it's not fair for you to waste months on an impossible pairing.

If you think the monarchs are bad, I can't wait to dive into the Anagallis, Albino and Royal blue reeee

Earlier in this topic it was mentioned massbreeding is a help to balancing out the prize production. If monarchs and the other three dragons listed above are failing to yield prizes, then looks like those need to be next on the breeding list.

8 minutes ago, Nathair said:

Earlier in this topic it was mentioned massbreeding is a help to balancing out the prize production. If monarchs and the other three dragons listed above are failing to yield prizes, then looks like those need to be next on the breeding list.

I see that, how do you figure out what breeds are currently being mass bred. Is there a way to figure out ratios as a standard joe?