HeatherMarie

Could Frequently Asked Questions be updated please?

There are multiple things in the pinned FAQ that are no longer true, and I'm sure it could possibly be confusing to newer users expecting there to be accurate information there. The entire 'how to code: forum signatures' post is no longer true or relevant at all since the forum upgrade has changed all of that, and should probably just be deleted (maybe add a link to the 'how to use the new forum' topic instead). Also, the question about zombies disappearing is out of date, as zombie tombstones no longer vanish after two weeks (I had to double-check on my scroll, but yup they are right there). I see that parts of the FAQ have been updated recently (it mentions the Halloween re-release), so could the rest possibly be updated as well?

We're working on it, the forum update messed with some pinned topics in Site Discussion as well. Unfortunately, it's like playing whack-a-mole, we clean up one thing and something else pops up. Thank you for posting these ^, knowing where to look helps us a lot.

Yep this is being worked on.

In fact, I think it's awesome you gave us a specific list of items that need correcting.  Thank you.  :)

*bumping* I found some other stuff that is outdated or misleading in the FAQ:

Q: Is there a way to change my username (forum or scroll)?

A: You can change your forum username once every 30 days.  To do this, click on your username at the top of any forum page, then Account Settings, and then Display Name.  Type in your new username and click Save.

This is wrong. From what I understand you can only change your forum username once every 90 days, not 30 days. At least that's what it says on my account page when I go to the display-name link. 

Q: Why can't I influence my egg? Why can't I inclubate my egg?

A: Eggs in a teleport cannot be influenced or incubated.

This seems incomplete, because that's not the only reason you can't influence/incubate... Something should be added about not being able to use those actions if the eggs are under 3 days. 

Q: How do you get a zombie?

A: In order to get a zombie, you need to kill an adult dragon or a hatchling or let a hatchling die of natural causes within two weeks of Halloween. Once Halloween is around (in cave time, EDT/EST), you try the action "revive" on your dead dragon. There are three possible outcomes: the dragon revives normally and you get the dragon you killed back, the dragon turns to dust and is gone (tombstone stays for the normal two weeks but you cannot try to revive it again), or the dragon revives as a zombie. Hatchlings successfully revived as zombies are automatically frozen. You may be interested in the Zombie Advice thread. Zombie success chances scale with zombie visibility (day, night, 31st of any month, Halloween).

The first sentence is misleading. You have to read all the way to the end of the paragraph to see the mention of chances scaling at different times, but even then it's not really clear that they *can* be made outside of Halloween, because the first sentence specifically says Halloween. It seems to me that the Halloween specifics could just be taken out of the first couple sentences.

On 20.3.2018 at 8:42 PM, HeatherMarie said:

This seems incomplete, because that's not the only reason you can't influence/incubate... Something should be added about not being able to use those actions if the eggs are under 3 days. 

Or from a one-sex breed as most Christmas and all Valentine's dragons so far, just for completition's sake ;)

On 3/20/2018 at 2:42 PM, HeatherMarie said:

This is wrong. From what I understand you can only change your forum username once every 90 days, not 30 days. At least that's what it says on my account page when I go to the display-name link. 

Apparently I made a typo when I added that section.  Thanks for the correction!

27 minutes ago, Herk said:

Or from a one-sex breed as most Christmas and all Valentine's dragons so far, just for completition's sake ;)

I went ahead and updated this as well.

Let me know if there are other things I have missed.  I have been adding things bit by bit.

*very small bump*

Q: How do other actions react with teleport?

A: Teleported dragons do not gain a day, unlike abandoned dragons.

To my knowledge abandoned eggs no longer gain a day, right?

Thanks for catching that, I've updated it!