JadeEyedJasmine

Fixing the Current CB Prize System

720 prizes are won every year. 16 out of that is peanuts.

The thing with the raffles is, even if you win, you still need to win 5 more times (at the least) to collect all 6 as CBs. Though I guess that doesn't matter if you, with your prize, can trade for other gen 2 offspring for your needs, but it's still valid to say.

A store would help everyone. Eventually with a store everyone would work their way to owning one of each, if that's what they desire.

@fuzzbucket Every bit counts, and who's to say it's not more? At what point is the repeat winners too high or two low?

In comparison, maybe. But 16 more or less is still 16 more or less. And that's what people perceive way more intensely than that 16 out of 720 is peanuts.

And PERCEPTION is all this is about. "I didn't get an egg in all these months, so it's wrong."

I would like a feature that prevents recent winners from winning again in the next raffle or two. Maybe it wouldn't make a massive difference in the distribution of prizes, but any difference is better than nothing. If it keeps 1 or 2 people a month from winning back to back, and maybe 1 of those prizes goes to someone who hasn't won already, then I'd say it's a worthwhile investment. It's not about penalizing winners so much as giving less fortunate people a slightly better chance. And any change that helps distribute prizes to a wider audience, no matter how big or small, is worthwhile imo.

44 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

And PERCEPTION is all this is about. "I didn't get an egg in all these months, so it's wrong."

I won't speak for others, but I 100% think that it's wrong for someone to win a second or third time before everyone on the site has one. It would only be okay if there was another way to get Prizes, and the raffle was just a lucky bonus Prize.

Personally I feel that the current prize system is fine. Instead of having to wait at the end of the year for one raffle we have them monthly- which is a huge improvement in my opinion. Whether the requirements for entry should be changed or not I'm sort of on the fence about. I like how we only have to raise 3 dragons to enter but I don't mind another easy task being put into place. Everyone should get a chance to win- including past prize winners.

There was already math done to show that the impact of removing past winners would affect the drawings only by a tiny fraction but I don't think its fair to exclude people either. They just happened to get the luck of the draw and should be happy with their prizes. Its not like they had intentions to win twice it just...happens. I feel there might not be an easy way to appease some people but pulling people out just doesn't seem fair. -_- Maybe having them sit out for just one month after winning is okay? But anything longer than that doesn't sit right with me. 

We are lucky to have these raffles after all, so I'm content with how things are regardless. 

I don't think we're lucky to have them. It's a very band-aid solution to the fact that the original raffles/votes were a mistake to begin with. Why not give them to everyone who participated in the holiday event? Why was it only a select few?

And I said this before, but the big problem is there's no other way to get these dragons CB except being lucky. If the raffle was giving away Golds or Silvers I really wouldn't care so much- nice treat to the winners, but nothing terribly unfair.

And the entry requirement is so mind-numbingly easy, I have to wonder why it's there at all. Make it something that requires more activity than 5 minutes to grab eggs, then 5 minutes to add them to a hatchery a few days later.

42 minutes ago, DarknessDragon197 said:

Personally I feel that the current prize system is fine. Instead of having to wait at the end of the year for one raffle we have them monthly- which is a huge improvement in my opinion. Whether the requirements for entry should be changed or not I'm sort of on the fence about. I like how we only have to raise 3 dragons to enter but I don't mind another easy task being put into place. Everyone should get a chance to win- including past prize winners.

There was already math done to show that the impact of removing past winners would affect the drawings only by a tiny fraction but I don't think its fair to exclude people either. They just happened to get the luck of the draw and should be happy with their prizes. Its not like they had intentions to win twice it just...happens. I feel there might not be an easy way to appease some people but pulling people out just doesn't seem fair. -_- Maybe having them sit out for just one month after winning is okay? But anything longer than that doesn't sit right with me. 

We are lucky to have these raffles after all, so I'm content with how things are regardless. 

This is how I feel, too.

The store - Trader's Canyon - is an excellent suggestion. I think it would be a wonderful thing to have implemented for a number of purposes. But if it never happens due to coding difficulty/time, I'm just plain happy with the fact that the raffles are monthly instead of annual and that I may EVENTUALLY win - and if not, then I'm still glad that there are so many more low-gens to go around. 

Link to "the store" suggestion that some of us have been referencing for those who aren't familiar with it:

Edited by LibbyLishly

32 minutes ago, DarknessDragon197 said:

Well, like I said, if a CD period preventing back-to-back wins only allows for 1 more prize-less person to win a month, that's still an improvement imo. I don't think winners would be so hurt by a short CD period, since winning once is by itself a grand achievement and worth being ecstatic about! I know I'm fine with it. I don't think people should look at it as "punishing winners", because I doubt any reasonable person has ill-feelings toward someone who simply got a lucky dice roll, a result completely out of their hands. It's just a very small change attempting to distribute prizes to a wider audience, prevent lightning from striking twice*, and maybe give some non-winners a chance they would otherwise not have. People who've won before can still rightfully win again after their brief CD period =)

* In a prior thread I mentioned how I once caught three dragons consecutively, different breeds and biomes: two had the same exact first 2 digits in their codes, caps and all, and the third was the also the same but a different capital. Some number crunching showed the likelihood of that happening was something like 1 in 4 million. Sometimes lightning doesn't just strike twice, it strikes nine times and you begin to wonder if mother nature has it out for you.

No this information doesn't really serve a purpose, I just wanted to post it again because "wtf" and "math".

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Well, like I said, if a CD period preventing back-to-back wins only allows for 1 more prize-less person to win a month, that's still an improvement imo. I don't think winners would be so hurt by a short CD period, since winning once is by itself a grand achievement and worth being ecstatic about! I know I'm fine with it. I don't think people should look at it as "punishing winners", because I doubt any reasonable person has ill-feelings toward someone who simply got a lucky dice roll, a result completely out of their hands. It's just a very small change attempting to distribute prizes to a wider audience, prevent lightning from striking twice*, and maybe give some non-winners a chance they would otherwise not have. People who've won before can still rightfully win again after their brief CD period =)

I can definitely see what you're saying here, in fact, I think a little CD would be okay so I certainly agree with you. :) I was just a little concerned that some wanted winners to wait a rather long time before entering again. Personally I don't like people to be left out but a little wait period couldn't hurt any as long as it isn't too long. I'm all for giving more people a chance to win who haven't before, It just seems like a tedious task in trying to make that happen because some agree and some don't. Just one big balancing act to even out the chances, even if its only by a small margin. 

I've said this before, but true randomness isn't good for games, much less a part of a game that is otherwise not about that degree of random chance. The only thing separating the current raffle from a gacha game is the entry fee not being money.

And I play gacha games. The raffle currently feels worse than, say, getting a pull full of three-stars in FE Heroes. That's pretty bad!

We haven't had raffles for what, 3 or 4 years now? If we can at least return it every December, it would be an improvement.

16 minutes ago, Ashywolf said:

We haven't had raffles for what, 3 or 4 years now? If we can at least return it every December, it would be an improvement.

We have raffles right now. Every month. Check your account page.

We have raffles EVERY MONTH now. It has upped the number of prizes to 720 a year.

9 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

And the entry requirement is so mind-numbingly easy, I have to wonder why it's there at all. Make it something that requires more activity than 5 minutes to grab eggs, then 5 minutes to add them to a hatchery a few days later.

I'd guess simply  to make sure that prizes aren't offered to people who haven't been active for years.

Maybe the entry requirements could be upped for winners?

After winning one time: Raise 100 dragons to enter the raffle.

After winning two times: Raise 200 dragons to enter the raffle.

After winning three times: Raise 300 dragons to enter the raffle. 

You get the idea. It will still be possible for former raffle winners to win, but they'll have to put in more effort. (And, really, raising 100 dragons in a month is no big deal. 200 gets a bit harder, 300 a lot. But still, it's not impossible.) Maybe instead of making it "raise x hundred dragons a month", make it "raise x hundred dragons since your last raffle entry" so multiple times winners can save up. They may not be able to enter every raffle (eventually), maybe only every 2nd or 3rd - but they're not completely left out.

13 hours ago, DarknessDragon197 said:

I can definitely see what you're saying here, in fact, I think a little CD would be okay so I certainly agree with you. :) I was just a little concerned that some wanted winners to wait a rather long time before entering again. Personally I don't like people to be left out but a little wait period couldn't hurt any as long as it isn't too long. I'm all for giving more people a chance to win who haven't before, It just seems like a tedious task in trying to make that happen because some agree and some don't. Just one big balancing act to even out the chances, even if its only by a small margin. 

Actually, those people who already won at least once are the only ones who are not being left out. Being left out is everyone who doesn't win despite trying for years on end. (Just a different way of seeing things, I guess.)

Edited by olympe

again

no people shouldnt be excluded just because they won before. if they were pulled out chances are you (general you) still wouldnt win a cb prize. you cant blame them for winning and you for losing. its all rng based. and no higher requirements for them either. 

if y'all want a level playing field so badly then that means everyone has an equal chance to win the raffle by doing the exact same thing as everyone else. no matter who won before and who didnt.

2 hours ago, CellyBean said:

again

no people shouldnt be excluded just because they won before. if they were pulled out chances are you (general you) still wouldnt win a cb prize. you cant blame them for winning and you for losing. its all rng based. and no higher requirements for them either. 

if y'all want a level playing field so badly then that means everyone has an equal chance to win the raffle by doing the exact same thing as everyone else. no matter who won before and who didnt.

By 'level the playing field' I very much mean equal distribution. Someone winning more than once is not equal distribution. I don't see why someone who won once already should be able to win again before everyone else.
Now, if there was another way to get Tinsels and Shimmers, then who cares if someone wins again, but because these are exclusive dragons, and because they have such trading power, it's not really even close to fair that someone could, and has gotten a second, or even a third.

Full Disclosure - I won a raffle prize in November.  It was the first CB metal of any kind other than Copper that I've ever had in the over nine years I've been playing this game. 

General Personal Opinion - The current lottery system did fix something that was broken. We now all have not only a continuing chance, but a very-much-higher chance than before, of owning a CB Tinsel or Shimmer dragon. The current system is a huge improvement over the holiday raffles (and voting!) of old. It's not broke; don't fix it. 

Re: CB Limits - The chances of anyone actually winning the lottery enough times to hit a reasonable CB limit are astonishingly small. Even if the limit was one CB Tinsel and one CB Shimmer, the odds are still very low that you'd get both...  and then users would grow to resent a one-tinsel-one-shimmer limit as soon as they had one and realized they could never have the other two of each as CBs. 

Re: Removing Prize Winners from Lottery Until All Entrants Have Won - This is what people are talking about when they complain about millennials and their participation trophies. None of us are entitled to a CB Prize Dragon, any more than we are entitled to $100MM and a personal pet unicorn. We have actual participation trophies; this is a lottery. Just because you personally aren't being rewarded by a system at any given time does not make it an unfair or broken system. 

Re: Removing Prize Winners from Lottery for Next Month - This is punitive and doesn't significantly increase the odds for anyone else.  Waste of time over sour grapes. 

Re: Store, Real Money - Pay-to-win games are the scourge of the earth. 

Re: Store, In-Game Currency - In the context of the discussion of raffle prizes I don't particularly care for the idea because I like that Prizes are prizes, not purchases. I appreciate that users feel they should be able to earn things in this game; we already do "earn" things like additional egg and hatchling slots and some trophies, so we already have an achievement-reward mentality in place, but dragons have never been something you "earn", and these dragons in particular have been randomly-assigned gifts for a long time. 

My concern in general with the introduction of in-game currency is that Dragcave's "gameplay" is extremely limited (get egg, hatch egg, grow dragon, breed dragon), and rewarding users who complete those particular actions with in-game currency would give a huge advantage to older players with more egg/hatchling slots and more dragons. If you get 100 DragonBux for hatching an egg, for instance, I could make twice as much money as a brand new player in the same amount of time and effort (quite possibly with less effort, since I know what I'm doing and they do not). If you get 10 DragonBux every time you breed a dragon, I could make something like 40k DragonBux a week just breeding the thousands of dragons already on my scroll if I really wanted to.  If you branch away from those specific actions, say, and get 1 DragonBux for every egg or hatchling you click, anyone capable of running a macro can make DragonBux hand over fist while they're not even at their computer. Making a fair system for earning DragonBux would probably involve introducing minigames and/or regular plots with DragonBux rewards, which would be a lot of work for TJ and also feel a lot like Neopets.

Ultimately, without major gameplay additions/overhauls, "earning" currency/dragons would be heavily skewed towards older users and therefore is *inherently less fair* than the lottery system for the distribution of Prize dragons. Players are already rewarded for long-term active play in other ways. 

Re: Prizes as Rewards for Gameplay Achievements - Obviously I don't support this. We already get rewarded for our achievements and this would again be heavily skewed towards older players, which is, again, inherently less fair than the lottery system we currently have. 

Re: Release More Prizes - You're kidding, right? They're already being released at a rate that evens out to about two dragons every day. 

Re: Prizes for Trophies - This is functionally identical to the above, Prizes as rewards for gameplay achievements. It's still a bad idea. 

The Overarching Problem with Most of These Suggestions - Selling, giving away these dragons as rewards, or releasing more of them at a time will devalue them massively. While I understand that people are frustrated by the possibility of CB ownership without a promise of the same, that is something that has been a part of this game from the beginning. Until this year, there were a lot of CB dragons that were impossible for most players to get. With the introduction of the Holiday biomes, Caveborn Prize dragons have become the ONLY dragons in the game that don't come with, essentially, a guarantee of eventual receipt. They have always been something special and rare and, after the first year, something for the lucky, not the diligent. Devaluing them through wider release would be a terrible shame, both conceptually and practically.

Conclusions - As it is, winning the prize lottery is an amazing experience, and having a CB Prize dragon has opened up possibilities for me that I had given up on in the prior nine years of playing. If Prize dragons were widely available, these things would still be beyond my reach, especially with the intense devaluation of second-generation holiday dragons that came with the creation of the Holiday biomes. While it is sad that not everyone can win in a raffle, it would be worse if no one could have this experience. I am happy with the current system, and was happy with it well before I was lucky enough to win something. I'd rather have that feeling of hopefulness that comes with random chance than the dull satisfaction of met expectations. The idea that some reward program would be implemented and I'd wake up one day to a prize egg (or several) that were 'due' to me for my progress in the game is anticlimactic and boring. Nothing is owed to any of us in this game. 

Good luck in the upcoming raffles!

@tiktokism In response to all of your points.

1. It's nice that we have a chance now, but it is not a better chance in any sense of the word. Just going by the forum membership, there are 65,125 forum users. There will only be 720 prizes given out per year. I can't say how many more users are on the DC main site that have never signed up for the forum, but it would take over 90 years for everyone to get one prize, assuming no duplicates.

2. Because of the above-mentioned numbers, it's even worse that someone can win more than once with the current system.

3. Again, a comparison to a lottery is not a fair comparison. Money you win, in real life, from a lottery, is not special or different from normal money in any way. The 'money' you win here is like a foreign currency- you are winning a dragon nobody else can get in any other way than luck. In real life, if you want money, you can normally work for it. Whether you have money or not isn't determined 100% by random chance, and only random chance.

4. Nobody ever reads- the store suggestion has it''s own, fully fleshed out topic, and does not involve real money in any way. I would not support pay to win. A store where you earn points for normal activities on the site, such as raising and breeding dragons, it a good solution to this problem, in my mind.

5. I have seen people get a platinum trophy in a year- that is hardly rewarding 'older' players- it's rewarding active players.

6. See above math again as to why we need more prizes released  per month.

7. Many of us believe they shouldn't have the value they have. I do not see a problem with devaluing something most people cannot have. It's not like Golds or Silvers, where everyone has a chance to get them.

8. What you say the prize dragon has done for you is our biggest issue. Those of us without prizes cannot dream of trading for the things you have gotten, because those people will only trade to you. What can I offer for a neglected or CB gold? Nothing that equals a 2nd gen prize. The power there is what is simply not fair, and has created a tier of trading we cannot participate in.

Holidays were rereleased because they were never intended to be valuable, and this has fixed that. This is a game, this is not life- there is not real scarcity, everything can be changed to be made fair. Fixing the problems prize dragons have caused is absolutely owed to us if the site wants us to stay.

@tiktokism I actually think devaluing prizes is a good thing... because then we’d go back to the rarest things around being something everyone could earn: golds, silvers, and neglecteds. While the former is skewed towards people with more time / equipment to hunt, you do hear stories of people making miracle grabs and awesome trades. Myself, I’ve traded bundles of CB zombie fodder and other common CB hatchies for CB Golds. And anyone can make Neglecteds with some patience and experimenting. In contrast, Prizes are totally random, no skill or effort involved. They should NOT be the dominant force of trading. Things people can earn are.

I also disagree with your labeling of people as being whiny or entitled. DC is a game; games are meant to be fun; people have thought the ways prizes have been handled have been unfun and a pretty big blotch upon the site for years. The raffles are an improvement, but I think more could still be done. Obviously nothing is “owed” anyone, but it’s in everyone’s best interests to look at how things are and see if they can be improved. That’s what the suggestion forum exists for, after all.

@tiktokism- Congrats on your win, but it does very much come across as "I have won and therefore the monthly raffle has fixed things and is fine" because as you have said, it's opened up a world of possibilities for you. And indeed, it has. However, there are still many other users who have yet to experience this world of possibilities that prizes bring. 

Most of these suggestions do nothing to hurt prize winners or suggest entitlement. Nine is a raffle winner and I doubt very much that their support of a one month break between entries to cut down on consecutive wins counts as "sour grapes." Grapes that are only sour because of the assumption that people without prizes are in support of the idea.

Cutting out raffle winners until everyone has won one is ridiculous and generally not being supported.

Things like changing raffle entry requirements are also fine because they encourage people to take initiative.

Having a store/anniversary/way to earn prizes is also fine because it means they are obtainable by everyone and you can work to get whichever prize you want instead of crossing fingers to get even one and hoping it's the one you really want or hoping that someone will be nice enough to gift if you can't trade for what you want.

I'm sure in your nine years of play without metals, you've seen the issues that the raffles have caused. I say this as someone who has never caught a cb gold or been able to trade for one, as someone who has caught only two cb silvers since 2009 when I started. The trade market is a wreck and I do think that adding a simultaneous store or adding more winners per month or doing something to prevent consecutive wins would help to fix what the prizes have done. We need to devalue them, not pretend that everything is fine.

As per real life lotteries, there are restrictions. You must be 18 to play. In some places, you have to be a legal resident of the country. You pay taxes on winnings. Etc. Etc.  Real life doesn't apply here and the general idea is to try and fix what IS wrong with the raffle system.

*You is general and please excuse typos as this is a mobile reply.

Edited by Jazeki

General Personal Opinion: The monthly raffles don't exactly fix anything, but are more of a band-aid solution. Because, yes, they do get more CB prizes into the system, but the system itself is flawed. Prize dragons added a new tier of value to the game by being as exclusive and gorgeous as they are. Prize dragons have drastically changed the trading market for the worse, as most high-value trades center around 2nd gen prize eggs or 2nd gen spriter's alts/Thuweds. Which means that there's a small number of players able to partake in these trades, and a very large number of players who cannot ever hope to do so. Unless, of course, they win the dragon lottery, which gives them a snowball's chance in hell. Sounds absolutely perfect, right?

Re: CB Limits: I don't think CB limits will help much, as they will be protested anyway, but I think that we need more prizes in circulation.

Re: Removing Prize Winners from Lottery Until All Entrants Have Won: Not practicable.

Re: Store, In-Game Currency: If you had read the thread about the store ("Trader's Canyon"), you'd know that the idea was designed in a way to prevent just that, as well as grinding, from being a thing by adding a rather low upper limit on currency you can earn within a week. Something that even a player without a trophy should be able to do, if they put in some effort like actually playing regularly. As in raising dragons. Who cares that you earn 10 dragon bux every time you bred a pair if your weekly cap is at 200 dragon bux and you have 8000 dragons to breed? Even if you breed all of them, you won't get more than the 200 dragon bux that a player with a little over 40 dragons can earn by breeding? Totally skewed towards older players, isn't it?

Re: Prizes as Rewards for Gameplay Achievements: Just like with the encyclopedia, TJ would be able to make past achievements not count, but start the counter at 0 for dragons raised or time played. And even if it was skewed towards players with a higher trophy, getting to platinum can happen quite quickly.

Without any incubating ability, a new user can achieve bronze trophy within a month if they catch AP eggs (that have no more than 6 days left on their timer).

Again without any incubating ability, a bronze trophy user can reach silver trophy within 2 months if they catch AP eggs.

A silver trophy player should be able to incubate all their eggs (if they play with common sense). If they do, and make use of AP eggs again, they should be able to reach gold trophy in just a little bit over a month, at which point they're already very close to the top tier. So, it takes about 4 months to reach the 2nd tier. Totally skewed.

If they continue to play the same way, they'll reach the coveted platinum trophy within another 2.5 months. Overall, a little over 6 months of active play will give a new player all the benefits of an "older" player.

Re: Release More Prizes: Yes, please! Release so many of them that they don't dominate trading any more! Devaluing them is the way to go if we want scroll goals to be as approachable as they were before the introduction of prizes. Seriously, they almost broke the game. 

1 hour ago, tiktokism said:

Until this year, there were a lot of CB dragons that were impossible for most players to get. With the introduction of the Holiday biomes, Caveborn Prize dragons have become the ONLY dragons in the game that don't come with, essentially, a guarantee of eventual receipt. They have always been something special and rare and, after the first year, something for the lucky, not the diligent. Devaluing them through wider release would be a terrible shame, both conceptually and practically.

Conclusions - As it is, winning the prize lottery is an amazing experience, and having a CB Prize dragon has opened up possibilities for me that I had given up on in the prior nine years of playing. If Prize dragons were widely available, these things would still be beyond my reach, especially with the intense devaluation of second-generation holiday dragons that came with the creation of the Holiday biomes. While it is sad that not everyone can win in a raffle, it would be worse if no one could have this experience. I am happy with the current system, and was happy with it well before I was lucky enough to win something. I'd rather have that feeling of hopefulness that comes with random chance than the dull satisfaction of met expectations. The idea that some reward program would be implemented and I'd wake up one day to a prize egg (or several) that were 'due' to me for my progress in the game is anticlimactic and boring. Nothing is owed to any of us in this game. 

Good luck in the upcoming raffles!

Actually, most CB rares (golds, silvers, GoNs) come without a guarantee of eventual receipt. So do CB hybrids/alts/breed-only versions, spriter's alts, black sweetlings and the two varieties of snow angels you don't have. Not to mention getting neglecteds and/or all the zombies... You get the idea. And even with the introduction of the Holiday biome, CB hollies are very hard to get, and I assume that CB Val '09s will be the same way. However, alts and the like were always meant to be breed-only, and spriter's alts are a just reward for a lot of work. However, steps have been taken to make GoN summoning less frustrating, and TJ is (by now) actually not 100% opposed to making all snow angel varieties (but the tan ones) available to everyone, and he even re-introduced formerly limited/retired breeds. Taking this as evidence, I'd say that even rare stuff on DC is not meant to be exclusive.

I imagine that winning the prize lottery is somewhat like getting a GoN (back before summoning them became easier). I remember summoning for almost a year until I got my 2nd (from the time I got my first), some people had to summon for three years straight to get even one. Others summoned twice and had two GoNs already. Anyway, when I finally got my 2nd GoN (back when the limit was 2/scroll), I wasn't overjoyed or anything, all I felt was relief. "Finally done with that!", was what I was thinking.

@tiktokism  It seems like you aren't very familiar with the store idea and have this knee-jerk 'no' reaction (like some others do) without actually knowing what it's all about. The store would *not* allow older players with more eggslots to earn tons more currency then newer players. The store is something that has been *very* extensively hashed out specifically to avoid those things. There would be a cap on how much a user could earn at once (I think it was per week), and that cap is low enough so that no one will have an advantage over anyone else just because they have more eggslots. The store was designed so that you earn currency by doing things you already do in the game, and the cap is low enough, and you earn enough per action, that *anyone* can make the maximum amount relatively easily regardless of how long they've played or how much time they have to dedicate to the game.

I'm glad you won a Prize and that you think the system is no longer broken just because we have this monthly lottery. But the fact of the matter is that even with this monthly lottery it will take *years* for the majority of players to win even once (I'm talking 5-8 years *minimum* and that's assuming the number of active players is very very low), and many players won't even win then. No, we are not 'owed' anything, but the lottery is certainly *not* the best way to go about distributing Prizes when it completely leaves out the vast majority of players.