Paradisiske

Marketplace

Thanks. The only issue I could see is how to ask for things like a specific color Gemshard/Firegem/Snow Angel/Nebula/Zyus, spriter's alts, normal alts and alternating-color lineages.

The former could probably be listed as things like 'Gemshard (Red)' etc.. not sure about alt-kin though.

(Also realized I forgot to add a field for if you were seeking an egg or hatchling)

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

Certainly way better than a field to write random stuff (which is, also, often misunderstood.)

SA/CB alt/hybrid-kin I suspect would just be bypassed, since it's mostly a small subset of collectors who want them and a very small number of people who have CBs.

The others I suspect would also be bypassed for simplicity. Like, they'd be nice, but there's no easy way to input them and you can always just decline ones that don't fit what you need.

I totally support this, since it's often hard for me to find people specifically looking for things I have on offer. As someone said before - the forums are mostly looking for the same sort of thing, so it'd be cool to have an option available for specific searches, to help those who aren't trying to trade the latest 2G.

I support such a system. I saw a mockup a couple pages back and thought it was pretty nice. so, this would work out for many people.

On 1/30/2018 at 9:48 PM, Dragon_Arbock said:

Could possibly do something like this;

mock-up.PNG.df80f346aeb0241e977ede3730db3ecd.PNG

Just a quick mock-up, but having a few places to enter data from pre-approved menus could avoid foul language.

Here's the mockup that was mentioned. I love this idea; it also allows people who may not have access to this forum the ability to trade.

I wonder if the drawback would be people would use that and traffic to the forums would diminish -  then again, there are always special gifting threads out there.

Since the vile new software upgrade, traffic here has in any event dropped considerably.

Not to mention that forums in general, not just this one, aren't as active anymore. They're just not what people use for general contact anymore, as a rule.

Like, the forums still have benefits over the marketplace--being able to specify that you want certain lines that don't cleanly map to those settings (e.g. spriter alt lines, CB hybrid lines, descendants of specific dragons), sending transfers to specific people, or working on group lineage projects are three major ones that come to mind--and the forums have a purpose beyond trading besides that.

12 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Since the vile new software upgrade, traffic here has in any event dropped considerably.

I have to admit the software was pretty bad. Lots about it I do not like.

10 hours ago, Guillotine said:

Like, the forums still have benefits over the marketplace--being able to specify that you want certain lines that don't cleanly map to those settings (e.g. spriter alt lines, CB hybrid lines, descendants of specific dragons), sending transfers to specific people, or working on group lineage projects are three major ones that come to mind--and the forums have a purpose beyond trading besides that.

I guess there is that. I never used Eatw's market place, I quite frankly avoided that place like the plague.

I've only just recently begun using the trading threads here, but it seems that the majority of the people I see posting often in the trading threads are users that I also see posting elsewhere on the forum, ie they aren't here *just* for the trading threads. I'm sure there are some users who are just here for the trading threads, but I really doubt it's enough to make a huge difference. 

I'd like an in-game trading place. I have  wondered why DC doesn't have a trading place now that teleport is a thing. (I understand why it wasn't in the old "get code"-days). In-game trading place would enable trading to people that don't use the forum for what ever reason, let it be language or the pain of posting in a thread itself.

I use the forum mainly for trades. I try to lurk also the old posts in the trading threads but it is really taxing. The long wish lists, (sometimes) unreasonable requests and "prize frenzy". I also wish people here would edit their posts to show if their trade is finished... With an in-game trading place these would not be such a problem (for me). And I'm sure I would use forum for specific lines I need or want. 

Ooh, I like this idea a lot... And I'm not sure of something like this has been suggested, so excuse me if it has, I've only skimed through. Something like another cave or something similar to the abandoned page could be set up where you could click on egg pics and be taken to a cute little market place listing (whether it be a note, "hello, my mummy/daddy would like to find me a new forever home/ hello, my mummy/daddy want so and so lineage" if you were gifting but wanted to see where it went -dummy eggs- or for specific trades) here the trader would be able to put specifically what they wanted, but keep it to a Twitter length paragraph. Or you could even do it more simply as preset messages, but I feel that this doesn't have as much freedom for choosing specific wants. 

The idea of the abandoned page type of setup could be so that you have random trades continually cycling through either randomly, or in order of when posted (most likely an unpopular idea, I don't much like it myself, but it was a thought and who knows, might take off) or it could just be a full page of all the trades in order (or multiple pages, but the point is the eggs remain static until the trade is removed).

Following my duplicate (sorry) topic of this idea, decided to re-post my RPG description of the Marketplace.

Galsreim has now a bunch of different travelers - humans who aren't afraid of dragons! In fact, they take care of them, abandoned eggs and hatchlings are their treasure. As a simple farmer, I used to trade vegetables that I grow in my garden in around Galsreim, but out of sudden I saw two of these "different" travelers trading dragon eggs. This shocked me, so I went to them and asked one of them if I could have a dragon egg, and he simply gave one to me. Now I'm a proudly owner of a Mint Dragon, who helps me a lot in my farm.

After that, I saw the huge opportunity to help these travelers in their trades by opening a place where they can safely trade their eggs and hatchlings, placing offers in my old warehouse. Minty loved this so much! Her eyes shine when she looks at the young hatchlings being traded and loved.

Edited by Andre Miles
Grammar

On 2018-02-03 at 5:48 AM, Guillotine said:

Not to mention that forums in general, not just this one, aren't as active anymore. They're just not what people use for general contact anymore, as a rule.

Huh.  I'm way more active on this forum than on other means of contact with others.   Not that I didn't use EATW trading when it did exist, but I rarely used it to trade my eggs, mostly looked at what was being offered and offered things when I felt like it. Honestly, I'd prefer to talk to a person though since I find it easier than waiting for them to accept my egg without knowing if they're even that interested.

Yeah - I'd rather be here than somewhere outside, so that we could talk about stuff. I am very active here as well. I never used EATW's trading - I looked a few times but so many things just sat and the traders never seemed that interested.

However, EATW was still an inofficial 3rd-party site that not all players knew about, much less the dragon market. If we had something like that on the official DC site, things wouldn't be the same. Because every single player would be aware of its existence (safe for those few who just don't want to know or don't play at all). In turn, there'd be more people offereing their eggs/hatchies and thus, more people browsing the place. Especially with the requested filters involved.

Yeah, I actually didn't know that EATW had a 'marketplace' type thing at all until relatively recently, even though it was one of my primary hatcheries. I definitely think an in-cave marketplace thing would gets tons of traffic and use. But I also don't really think it would diminish forum trading all that much... While they are still the same general thing, forum trading is different enough then no-communication market trading that I think there are probably many people who have preferences about which one they would use and when. I know I'd still use forum trading a bunch when I'm not really sure what I want in exchange and would welcome PMs about the trade.

3 hours ago, Draconiusultamius said:

Huh.  I'm way more active on this forum than on other means of contact with others.   Not that I didn't use EATW trading when it did exist, but I rarely used it to trade my eggs, mostly looked at what was being offered and offered things when I felt like it. Honestly, I'd prefer to talk to a person though since I find it easier than waiting for them to accept my egg without knowing if they're even that interested.

It's a general thing; an active forum by 2018 standards is far less active than an active forum by, say, 2012 standards. Something Awful, for instance, has hemorrhaged active users since then (although it's still relatively active). They're just not as popular as other forms of online contact anymore.

I mean, I prefer forums, but I'm not going to pretend that they're as popular as they once were.

Too true, things here used to be way more active. *sniff*

7 hours ago, olympe said:

Too true, things here used to be way more active. *sniff*

Part of that is down to the new software. Several people have pointed this out - that it is harder work posting here and they can't be bothered. I know I only play one game any more. I used to play 6 all the time. But the loss of plain editing is just - ugh. As for the messaging....

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Well, the activity here dropped considerably - but the trend started way before the new forum software. And, as much as I miss the old software, I think that this is something I will get used to in due time.

Oh I'm USED to it now - but I still dislike the WYSIWYG editor enough that I post far less than I used to.

On 1/31/2018 at 12:47 AM, HeatherMarie said:

Yeesss I like that! It's very straight forward, not complicated or confusing at all, and it seems like it could cover like 99% of the possibilities.

*Nods* The mockups I am seeing look good.

I think this looks like it could be a useful way to trade! :)

Please? PLEASE? I loved Dragonmarket! It was simple, easy, and got me most of my trades. I don’t even bother breeding/catching things to trade anymore. The forums get me no where. :/ An on-site market would be amazing. I love the mock-up! Maybe add an option for stage/sex of what you want? Like checkboxes for egg, S1, S2, male, female. That way you can choose all if you don’t care or just specifics if you do. Normally you’d write that in the description in Dragonmarket, but being able to preselect would avoid free input. :) 

Maybe a selection to indicate more details in a forum post, and that might help drive more people to use the forums. Like “special lineage request?” and selection of yes/no. Maybe could be linked to the forum post or to the user’s forum profile. Only dragcave.net links could be input to prevent spam links. People who don’t want to use the forums don’t have to, but it gives people the option to have further communication if they want. Otherwise it would be really difficult to define specific lineages (the type which already are hard to get bites on in the forum, and which I always used Dragonmarket for: stairs, spirals, rainbows, alternating breeds, etc.). I suppose asking for a mate for [dragon lineage link] could help, but depending on the lineage goal, it might not work for all lineages. 

Honestly, though, any in-game system similar to Dragonmarket would be something I’d love to bits, even without being as specific as above. It’s compact and easy to look through. Forums aren’t. You can’t post more than once a day in forums (so if you catch something else to trade, all you can do is modify your post, which won’t get many views because now it’s a page back and people already looked at it). Less people are on the forums. Posts take a lot more effort to look through and to make in the first place. If people don’t use good text descriptions, you can’t easily search for what you want. If they don’t use an image (like a picture of the egg they have/want), you can’t just glance through looking for the breeds you’re interested in. I think all of this ties in to why forum trades are so hit-and-miss.