Sesshomaru

Winter Olympics 2018

...Okay, admittedly I'm most hyped about Tokyo 2020, but Asia 3 games in a row? Hell. Yes. There are still a few concerns surrounding the kickoff in Pyeongchang, South Korea, but I was hoping to keep the politics out of this thread and focus on the athleticism and the fun stuff. Like how cute the male athletes mascots are. :rolleyes:

Yay, Olympics year!!!! I love Olympic games, and especially the winter ones. I'm gonna follow biathlon, ski jumping, cross-country skiing and ice hockey the most, but I love having the TV on all the time when there's a competition on during the games! Only downside for having the games in Asia is the time zone for me, but it just means early mornings and pots of coffee lol. There was a girl as an exchange student on one class this autumn who is gonna be a judge for the bobsleigh competitions, which is super exciting! (the amount of exclamation marks in this post really shows how hyped i am about this lol)

Le relevance bump. Men's figure skating is tonight askaksfhkjhhjfsl.

I loved the large paper puppets in the opening ceremony. Especially the white tiger and inmyeonjo.

I just love thinking about how these athletes can be so talented that they can represent an entire country. I don't typically watch the games, but I don't mind taking a peek at them when I see it in the news, or on a TV in a restaurant.

If you're referring to the doping scandal, I would add simply that Team Russia broke the rules, and they were penalized for it. In my opinion, not severely enough.

As usual, I spent most of these Olympics rooting for Team Japan.

This is my favorite moment so far.

Oh, and this, too.

Edited by Sesshomaru

Yes about the doping issue. A little severe penalty but that should serve a good warning for the rest.

I'm not Canadian, but Virtue and Moir are incredible and I'm so happy they won. I kept gasping the entire routine. Amazing!

Also single skate was on last night, and one girl kept falling so many times. I feel so bad for her. 

Edited by hazeh

^ Virtue/Moir are always incredible. I've been watching them for years. And it seemed like the all the women were falling last night except the ones from Asia. There's something to that.

I've always hated that figure skating is judged by the numbers and the technicalities instead of how the performance actually made you feel. Russians have dominated women's skating since forever, and it's usually down to their perfect executions and gaining extra points for meeting obscure requirements (such as last night). However, I never personally like the Russians' routines that much. They don't make me feel the way the other nations' skaters do. (It could be the music choice. The Russians usually always go for something... well, Russian. Something that makes me think I'm at a political banquet. Grandiose, but lacking soul.) Were it up to me, I would've given the podium exclusively to the Japanese and South Korean ladies. Their routines are always quirky, classic, and refreshing. That said, I'm always more interested in men's, pairs, and ice dancing than women's. Would've liked to have seen the Shibutanis a little higher in the rankings, but at least they made the podium. There's always 2022.

In other news, women's hockey. HA. HAHAHA. (Sorry, Canada.)

Edited by Sesshomaru

I knew there'd be KPOP at the closing ceremony. Someone owes me five bucks.