TJ09

Enable "Reaction" feature on forums

Thank you @Aqub. That must have been very hard for you to do. And I totally agree with you.

10 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

Now that's not at all true. It's quite possible for both parties to a compromise to go away unhappy.

Well generally a compromise is going to be something that both parties prefer over the current situation. Regardless, I stand by my view that a compromise, no matter who might go away 'unhappy', is always going to be better than just flat-out ignoring people's concerns. If a legitimate effort is made to benefit both parties in the compromise, that's going to be a hundred percent better than shutting out one party completely and basically saying 'your concerns don't matter and we aren't going to address them.'

Of course, that may be a non-starter here if compromising-ideas simply wouldn't happen (like if quote-emoji posts will never be considered 'okay' on the forum...)

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Of course, that may be a non-starter here if compromising-ideas simply wouldn't happen (like if quote-emoji posts will never be considered 'okay' on the forum...)

What about adding opt-out technology, so that the posts of people who don't want to get reactions will not?

That's definitely a compromise, since it doesn't fix some of the problems people critical of the idea have raised but does fix arguably the most important one--posters made to feel anxious or angry by a barrage of constant unnecessary judging of their posts.

9 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Well generally a compromise is going to be something that both parties prefer over the current situation. Regardless, I stand by my view that a compromise, no matter who might go away 'unhappy', is always going to be better than just flat-out ignoring people's concerns. If a legitimate effort is made to benefit both parties in the compromise, that's going to be a hundred percent better than shutting out one party completely and basically saying 'your concerns don't matter and we aren't going to address them.'

Well, no. A "compromise" here could only be "It is going to change; what is the least awful option for those who want no change". And that is not something a lot of us prefer over the current situation, which we like as it stands. Nothing involving implementation of this idea will make me prefer it. Making it possible for me not to see or receive reactions will only make it less awful for me. It will NOT make it something I prefer to what we now have. But I accept that it will make some people happier than what we now have.

@tjekan it's not the judging of my posts I object to. People can love or hate them. IT's the totally meaningless action of clicking a button. No actual thought input = no value, for me. That's like my giving a long and carefully written speech and someone coming up to give me a high-five. Well,  what bit of that half hour were you high-fiving me for ? If all of it, which is highly unlikely - at least bother to  say so.

Posting to show examples of how this would be if implemented, I’m in a forum with this enabled.6A7AC975-0B1C-4650-8B95-9812FBE8E13E.jpeg.b895bdf07f82bd4fc606cc4da9112482.jpeg

The green plus sign and number is ‘community reputation’, gained from having positive reactions. The heart banner shows on a post with a good amount of positive reactions. Multiple reactions on one post shows in notifications as will multiple new posts of a followed thread show.

I can see the fear of comparing with a count like that and a big banner slapped on a popular post. As per my experience however, hardly anyone talks about them. Don’t care either way, I just use it in art/meme threads where off-topic posting is not allowed. A simple ‘This’ reaction for discussion might not be much harm if coded to be neutral (ie. not giving rep points or banner) like ‘Confused’. Banner definitely needs to go if this passes.

That image is....

Well, let's just hope if we HAVE to have them, TJ changes the images... 

PcrjnqghXgoGjBUfiWbw.gif

I believe the community reputation portion of the reactions can also be hidden? Or at least negated by setting the reputation values of any reaction to 0? It's been a while since I've been in the admin panel of an Invision forum, but I think that was an option. ^_^

And notifications about reactions can be disabled the same way any forum notifications can be disabled.

I'd still really enjoy having this enabled ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 hours ago, Rememberdrgns said:

Posting to show examples of how this would be if implemented, I’m in a forum with this enabled.6A7AC975-0B1C-4650-8B95-9812FBE8E13E.jpeg.b895bdf07f82bd4fc606cc4da9112482.jpeg

UGH. Every time I see a screenshot of what these things actually look like it makes me hate them even more. Very much NO to 'community reputation' points and big obvious 'look at me I'm special!' banners on posts. Many people wanting this feature say they don't think it will actually lead to popularity issues and such, but those things most *definitely* will. Since, yunno, that seems to be the whole point of them. 

I don't like the bottom reactions stuff either, but at least it's not as horrible as that other stuff. The more I look at screenshots like this, the more I realize that a lot of my problem is with the visibility. We've got this big blue heart (why is a heart blue and not red?) and a big weird-looking laughing face. It just looks.... Childish. Like Facebook, honestly. It looks like the sort of thing on Facebook, where people are all 'like this post if you agree with me!' and all that (and yeah, I *see* that happening often, so no it's not just worrying over nothing). It's just too big and silly and stupid looking (imo). Why do reactions need to look like that anyways? What's the point? If the main point of reactions is to show your support/'like'/etc for a specific post, why can't that be accomplished with a simple little '+1' at the bottom or something? Why the silly-looking in-your-face images? 

I think I screenshotted little arrows earlier in the thread. Off to look.... Yes - here it is, from as newspaper comment section.

commen10.png

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Definitely a no from me. It's part of the reason why I don't like reddit. People can just do that and down vote someone when they need help all because "searching can give you these answers". Maybe so, but that doesn't mean I understand it any better.

If you go to TJ's first post on this thread and click the link to Invision, you will find out that they introduce this as:

IPS Community Suite has long had a reputation system; first we had a simple up/down system, later updated to introduce a Likes system as an alternative. Whichever system you chose to use, it tied in with our reputation system.  (Italics mine)

We have never used this kind or system here and I can't help but think that starting it, in either form, is opening a giant can of worms.  Having a "system" implies keeping track... Is everyone comfortable with that?  Will you still be comfortable with it a year or more from now, especially if you happen to be on the less popular side of whatever issues are discussed between now and then? 

OK, so perhaps you just think clicking like emojis are acceptable. Well, maybe they are right now, but once we are involved in this system, will our personal reputations be shared at some point?  I just don't think this is a good thing to start at all.

4 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

We have never used this kind or system here and I can't help but think that starting it, in either form, is opening a giant can of worms.  Having a "system" implies keeping track... Is everyone comfortable with that?  Will you still be comfortable with it a year or more from now, especially if you happen to be on the less popular side of whatever issues are discussed between now and then? 

OK, so perhaps you just think clicking like emojis are acceptable. Well, maybe they are right now, but once we are involved in this system, will our personal reputations be shared at some point?  I just don't think this is a good thing to start at all.

Exactly this. I don't actually care if I end up showing as wildly unpopular, but there are people here who would be so gutted, they would leave. Once we had it, invision could easily change things so TJ had less control over it and stuff.

6 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

If you go to TJ's first post on this thread and click the link to Invision, you will find out that they introduce this as:

Reputation can be fully disabled and separated from reactions. Consider it to be completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

Reputation can be fully disabled and separated from reactions. Consider it to be completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Thank you for responding to this, TJ09. That's been my biggest concern about the matter.  Now the question has become more like how big a distraction it would be from the more serious discussions going on.