angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Don't count old frozen CB holidays towards the breed limit

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the exciting new announcement, and a few other people were concerned too, so I wanted to bring it to TJ's attention ASAP!

Is there any way the cave could disregard old CB holiday frozens for the purposes of determining if we're currently at our limit of two? Like many others, I froze one of my pair when the limits were always just two regardless of CB or bred. Now that the old breeds are returning, I'd love to rectify that--but I also don't want to release frozens I've had for many years, all of them described and named, to do so.

Since we'd still be at a functional limit of two CB adults, is there any way these past frozens could be disregarded? I'll dump them if I need to for adults, but it'll be a rather bittersweet parting. D':

I really don't want to dump mine. I'll probably disadvantage myself and keep them, but if something could be done to let me have both them and a second adult, I'd be happy.

Otherwise, I thought a one-time unfreeze? But not sure which is more likely to happen.

I don't have any frozen CB Holidays, but I support this. Deciding between having only one CB adult and releasing a beloved frozen hatchling is too sad for Holiday time, and I would like it if there was a solution for the users affected by the dilemma.

(I would limit the non-counting hatchlings to one per user, though, so nobody can just freeze tons of CBs this year for whatever reason.)

I released my CB frozen S2 Wrapping Wing today so ready to pick up new one and let it grow up.  

Idk why complicate you can re-freeze a breed one and done.

I can certainly support this suggestion. I don't personally have this issue with Christmas, but I do have it with Valentine's (if the old breeds should return for that event too), and it would make me very happy indeed to be able to keep my old frozen hatchies and still be able to collect another CB adult

Tbh I don't see a problem in the way things are now? :P  Frozen Holidays are really easy to replace, just release your frozens, catch a new CB to grow to adulthood, and get a bred one to freeze if you need a hatchling sprite.

I mean, I wouldnt mind if they tweaked the limits according to the suggestion somehow, I just don't think it's necessary to code an extra solution for smth that's easy to solve as is :) 

8 minutes ago, Tears in Rain said:

Tbh I don't see a problem in the way things are now? :P  Frozen Holidays are really easy to replace, just release your frozens, catch a new CB to grow to adulthood, and get a bred one to freeze if you need a hatchling sprite.

I mean, I wouldnt mind if they tweaked the limits according to the suggestion somehow, I just don't think it's necessary to code an extra solution for smth that's easy to solve as is :) 

It's not so much that it's technically difficult to release a hatchling, but that one may very well have grown attached to hatchlings that one has had for many years, and feel reluctant to let them go. A new frozen hatchie will have the same sprite, yes, but it will not be the very same hatchling all the same. As a frozen hatchling does not give any sort of advantage in the game, I personally don't see an issue with letting people keep their CB frozens and collect a new adult. I don't do any sort of coding, so I don't know if this would be tricky for TJ to implement, but if it is at all feasible from his point of view, then I have no objections at all. Even if it wouldn't benefit me personally in any way, I would have no problem with others being allowed to keep their old hatchies :)

2 hours ago, Tears in Rain said:

As tears says, would you abandon a hatchie you had maybe cherished for several years (I see you've not been here that long, so may not have the same degree of devotion). I wouldn't want to release any of mine, holidays or not. I sort of support this as a one-off.

Edited by fuzzbucket
insane predictive text

but then you have to consider those who dont have any cb frozen holiday hatchies. now while we can only get 2 cbs you guys will have 3. instead of that why not just ask for unfreezing to be a thing?

I personally don't see a problem with this? Frozen hatchlings can't be traded or bred so who cares if someone has an "extra" CB holiday? I'm not sure how difficult this would be to code, though. A single time unfreeze would be an option to, I guess (as long as those adults still count towards the limit).

@FoxintheBox @Tears in Rain Like I said in my post, all of my old hatchies have descriptions that I put time and thought into. They've been in my collection for years. The sprites are easy to replace, yes, but I'm still fond of the ones I have. If there's a way to keep them instead of dumping them just to replace them with the same sprite, it would be very appreciated!

@CellyBean since frozens do nothing, I don't think it would constitute much of an advantage. Personally I'd be down for a one time unfreeze, but I suggested that myself many years ago when the limits were removed for bred holidays and TJ rejected it on the grounds that if unfreeze were to become a thing, it should be an option for all frozens or none. It is worth noting that if this became a thing, those frozens would automatically go to the wild if unfrozen, since you'd be exceeding the limit. (a pop up warning on this would be nice) ... but unfreezing might never happen at all, so not too worried right now about that. :) 

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

This is not a problem that affects me, but I still highly support ithe suggestion. Better, I think, would be implementing one of the many Unfreeze suggestions that have been discussed, or even bumping the CB limit to a minimum of 3, but if that's never going to happen, then I don't think people should have to release a hatchling they've had for years in order to get a second breeding dragon.

Edited by LibbyLishly
Supporting the problem? Where is the object of my sentence?

Drowned in notifications...guys, I didnt mean to get into a debate or anything, and the first post already states those arguments, I read them XD 

If smth has to be done about this at all, I'd rather see a one-time unfreeze rather than additional CB slots for players who have old CB hatchlings, to avoid the '3 (or 4) CBs' situation :) But yeah, I still think the whole thing is overcomplicating everything.

I feel for y'all, but I'm with @Tears in Rain and @CellyBean here. I get the sentimentality and attachment to a release date, but it's much easier to freeze a new hatchie than make a special exception because you want to keep what you have. 

I do support the unfreeze and raise limits suggestions, though.

As long as we never get an option to unfreeze (before limits are raised anyway), I'm totally okay with this suggestion. Some people want to keep their original frozen CBs for the special dates. I understand that. They can't be bred anyway. Everyone should be allowed to have fun with this event, not just the people who don't freeze. I've never frozen a Holiday, but I would hate to have frozen one of my original CBs and be forever stuck with one.

14 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

As long as we never get an option to unfreeze (before limits are raised anyway), I'm totally okay with this suggestion. 

If it comes down to one or the other, I DEFINITELY want an across-the-board unfreeze ability over those with frozens being allowed to catch an extra adult. If I had a frozen CB I'd be holding out for that to happen rather than releasing and catching a new one.

Totally support! I'm personally fine with releasing my frozen CBs in order to get a 2nd CB adult, but I really don't see anything wrong with this suggestion. Yes it'd be simple to release the frozen CB, grab another CB for a 2nd adult, and then freeze a lineaged of that breed... But it's not the same at all. I've seen a *lot* of people on this forum in the past speaking out against re-releasing CB holidays in the first place because of how special their own CB holidays are, and it's much the same idea here imo. Old CB frozens are special, not just because of the date but because of the name and description that you've already invested time in, the fact that you've had it for *years* so of course you may be very attached to it... Not to mention the possibility that your frozen CB may have a really awesome code, so simply freezing a new lineaged one in replacement is certainly not the same.

I would totally support a one-time unfreeze if this suggestion can't happen, though.

I don't have any CB frozen holidays but I support this. Frozen CBs give no advantage whatsoever and I have no issue with someone being able to get a second breedable CB and keep the hatchling they've had forever.

1 hour ago, LibbyLishly said:

If it comes down to one or the other, I DEFINITELY want an across-the-board unfreeze ability over those with frozens being allowed to catch an extra adult. If I had a frozen CB I'd be holding out for that to happen rather than releasing and catching a new one.

I can see why people would say that. But it only really works if limits are raised, otherwise some people will have 3 CB adults and everyone else will be limited to 3.

8 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I can see why people would say that. But it only really works if limits are raised, otherwise some people will have 3 CB adults and everyone else will be limited to 3.

Both. Both is good.

Frozen Hatchies pretty much just LOOK pretty, etc, so allowing this wouldn't give anyone an advantage over another person. So, I support it. But I highly doubt TJ would come to a "YES!" decision and get it all coded within 11 hours...

On the one hand, I feel like saying, "You have a choice, either keep your frozen hatchling or release it and stick the description to a different frozen hatchling. You can't have your cake and eat it."

On the other hand, it neither affects the game overly much nor does it seem to cause any kind of trouble.

And yet, I feel like it might set a bad precedence where a freezing play style gets favored over a non-freezing style, which gives me an uneasy feeling. (I doubt it's because of a cassare egg... ;))

Personally, I agree that an option to unfreeze them would be preferable, but might lead to the same problem (if the dragon's description was hatchling-specific).

@olympe It is a conundrum. I don't think it would give me any advantage to keep my frozen (since you can't do anything with them), but this has been a long time coming.

The second breed limits were removed, I felt cheated. Most people having two CBs cause they didn't care about having a frozen collection, and could now get a frozen if they wanted to. Now suddenly CBs are back, but I am attached to my frozen.

I would have liked the ability to unfreeze it back then, but it didn't happen. Now I don't know what to expect to be done about it.

I normally don't post in this thread but I do throw in my support for this, even though I don't have any frozen ones myself.

Holiday dragons (and Valentines) are special and I'm sure of those CB ones that were frozen had a special case and reason behind it or else they wouldn't have been frozen. Now I know an unfreezing option or releasing them is a simple fix (and it was also the choice of the user to freeze them in the first place, knowing they were limited) and that raising the limit to 3-4 would fix things a lot easier but that would break a lot of "tradition" as 2 has been the limit since the beginning and could very well make the holidays a little more stressful than needed to be since users would scramble for that extra one (or two). 

My point is that holidays are generally made to be as little stress as possible due to people being away or spending time with their folks. And from what I can tell this situation has quite a few users rather upset. Only suggestion I can throw out there to keep some balance is raising the CB limit to 2 Adults and 2 frozen hatchlings (essentially raising the limit to 4 without adding onto the adults grown). That way users can have a frozen S1, S2, (or frozen two of one kind) and still have 2 Adults. 

Say you have 4 CB of one holiday. The first two to grow up will count towards the CB Adults and the other two will count as the hatchling slots. If you haven't frozen them before they grow up and they reach adulthood they automatically leave your scroll and you have to catch another two all over again. 

I know its a lot of work but then again it doesn't have to be implemented right away- if at all. This is just so that collectors and those that have sentimental hatchlings don't lose what they've had for years. In honest I'm thrilled for the re-release of the holidays alone, so that's enough for me- but what of those that have already reached their limit and want to freeze one or two, or have already reached their limit due to freezing a CB in the past years? Personally frozen CB hatchlings can't be made towards anything other than visual appeal (and of course sentimental value) and I don't see an issue with adding in a limit of 2 CB frozen per scroll. This way users have a fair chance at their two adults while given the chance to freeze if needed.