TJ09

2017-12-18 - Holiday Event Schedule

omg now wrapping wings are cave blocking.  XD missed like five hollies in that last hourly drop and the five minute drop.

1 minute ago, jocosa said:

Because the original release of Holly's were males. These mimic that. The rare females are raffle honorable mention prizes.

I thought the originals in 2008 were influenceable, which is why I was asking. Thanks for the replies :)

@Marie19R I'll be honest, you puzzle me the most. I'm trying to see what value you find in CBs when you'd trade a CB Holly for messy-lineaged Snow Angels.

CBs are really only more valuable for lineage project purposes, which you don't seem to care for.

I don't see any value in CBs at all, honestly. However, I know a *lot* of people do. I'm excited about this re-release for other people's sake, not mine. It makes me happy to see so many other people excited about getting CBs that are important to them. This is something that a lot of people have wanted for a long time, and I love seeing the enjoyment that people get out of it. CBs are awesome for a lot of players, so I'm glad they came back, not for me but for others.

I am excited to get the chance to get CB eggs for the dragons which I had previously frozen. I was happy for many years with a CB adult and a CB hatchling while we could only have two of a species. I regretted it when the limits for non-CBs were lifted because I could have had two CB adults with which to make lineages, but it was too late then. Now I have the chance to "fix" it and get two CB adults while freezing bred dragons. It is also good for newer users to have a shot at CB eggs. I suppose it will "decrease the value" of 2nd gen eggs since anyone can get their own cave borns, but I do not worry too much for that since I don't really trade anymore so that is not a complaint for me personally.

An interesting side effect is that the original CB male hollies will be much more common, but the newer runner up raffle female hollies are retaining their relative rarity. 

Ah, guess that makes sense.

Just now, sfts said:

I am excited to get the chance to get CB eggs for the dragons which I had previously frozen. I was happy for many years with a CB adult and a CB hatchling while we could only have two of a species. I regretted it when the limits for non-CBs were lifted because I could have had two CB adults with which to make lineages, but it was too late then. Now I have the chance to "fix" it and get two CB adults while freezing bred dragons.

See.. I froze hatchlings too, but I'm too much of a sap to get rid of mine. So I'm stuck with one adult for most of those.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

3 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Ah, guess that makes sense.

See.. I froze hatchlings too, but I'm too much of a sap to get rid of mine. So I'm stuck with one adult for most of those.

I thought about it for a few days, but what I decided to do was to "reserve" the names by using them as placeholders on some lineaged holidays I've already hatched, then pass those names on to the newly grown CB adults when it is time. I chose to look at it like I was finally allowing the initial hatchlings to grow up, even if I know it is not technically true. Next year, I'll keep their first holiday offsping to be my new frozen hatchlings. I know that wouldn't work for everyone, but for me it was a compromise between being sentimental and being able to work on lineages. :) 

Using Google Chrome's Incognito window helped me get my 2 CB's Yulebucks and 1 CB Holly I still needed. I've got my collection of CB Christmas dragons complete now. Back to AP hunting for nice lineages :D

Thank you again, TJ, for bringing back the holiday Biome. I love it that I could get CB's of the old breeds I missed.

Have fun everyone!

Edited by Sheriziya

Speaking of which, just found a wonderfully messy and inbred 29th-gen Snow Angel in the AP. Woot! .... And now I'm locked for at least 4 more hours. Dang.

1 minute ago, sfts said:

I thought about it for a few days, but what I decided to do was to "reserve" the names by using them as placeholders on some lineaged holidays I've already hatched, then pass those names on to the newly grown CB adults when it is time. I chose to look at it like I was finally allowing the initial hatchlings to grow up, even if I know it is not technically true. Next year, I'll keep their first holiday offsping to be my new frozen hatchlings. I know that wouldn't work for everyone, but for me it was a compromise between being sentimental and being able to work on lineages. :) 

I see.. I might wait til next year to see what happens with limits them. If it looks like things will never change, I may have no choice. If the limit is raised to 4, I'd be fine with keeping one frozen.

Some of my names wouldn't quite work if swapped up. 'Argent Spirit' for a Snow Angel hatchling, when my adults are the gold-tricolor wings. But I supposed if unfreeze is ever a thing, I'd have the same problem.

19 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Might as well- he already took most of the competition out of it with limits. I grabbed two Hollys and don't feel accomplished int he slightest, just disappointed.

Holiday dragons have always had a 2CB per breed per scroll limit. The only exception to the rule is Halloweens. This is because Valentines and Christmas are about GIVING while Halloween is about getting as much candy as you possibly can. Why would he remove the limit? 

Just because YOU found it disappointing doesnt mean everyone else did. I, in fact, only feel slightly disappointed because both my cb hollies were gifts meaning I wasnt able to test catching after the ratios were tweeked. I am not disappointed at only having 2. I am very happy and excited I was able to finally achieve cb hollies plus had the ability to catch the 3 breeds I missed over the years.

If you found it disappointing because you were only allowed 2? Stop being greedy and appreciate that you got any at all as TJ was not obligated to provide us this opportunity to capture missed releases. If you are disappointed that they were "too easy" to catch? Appreciate that you have a fast computer, fast internet, and fast reflexes plus a decent amount of luck because so many people do not have that. 

25 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Might as well- he already took most of the competition out of it with limits. I grabbed two Hollys and don't feel accomplished int he slightest, just disappointed.

Well...I felt pretty good when I caught my Hollies. But I'm also playing on a phone with poor internet connection, so I barely even saw Hollies for the first 12 or so hours. I traded an arm and a leg for 4G Hollies this year, as I did with my one 3G last year, so I'm happy to be able to breed my own in the future. I would really hate to see the limits go when CBs are still so hard to grab for some. That's just my outlook on it though.

On a different note, all of my CBs have hatched! I know have a pair of each breed that I missed :D

3 minutes ago, Vampyre said:

If you found it disappointing because you were only allowed 2? Stop being greedy and appreciate that you got any at all as TJ was not obligated to provide us this opportunity to capture missed releases. If you are disappointed that they were "too easy" to catch? Appreciate that you have a fast computer, fast internet, and fast reflexes plus a decent amount of luck because so many people do not have that. 

The two CBs I was missing, I don't even like. I know the limit's always been two, but it makes little sense. Halloween's always been unlimited, and there's never been an issue of supply not meeting demand. You can't both 'want to make it fair' and make it challenging at the same time, cause it simply isn't.

And greed? They're pixel dragons. The only thing that even keeps me interesting is having tools to make lineages. If I only cared for collecting one of each sprite I'd have been long done. There's very little to do in this game outside of personal projects.

Not to mention, making assumptions. My laptop is a piece of junk which overheats and is 7 years old.

8 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

The two CBs I was missing, I don't even like. I know the limit's always been two, but it makes little sense. Halloween's always been unlimited, and there's never been an issue of supply not meeting demand. You can't both 'want to make it fair' and make it challenging at the same time, cause it simply isn't.

And greed? They're pixel dragons. The only thing that even keeps me interesting is having tools to make lineages. If I only cared for collecting one of each sprite I'd have been long done. There's very little to do in this game outside of personal projects.

Not to mention, making assumptions. My laptop is a piece of junk which overheats and is 7 years old.

You did not point out why you were disappointed down to the letter leaving it free for interpretation. I merely pointed out the two MOST LIKELY answers for you to be disappointed without just automatically assuming you were being a grinch/scrooge. I could have you know? Also a laptop, no matter how old, is far superior to catching than my cellphone...after all you can most likely at least open multiple windows. /I/ have to back out of the inevitable "you're too slow" page each and every time I click an egg.

Again TJ didnt need to give us this opportunity. He could have said the 109 CB Hollies on site were enough and left it at that. But he didnt. Be happy that now if you ever DID decide to get into lineages? That you dont have to pay through the nose months ahead of time to the 54 still active Holly CB owners. 

Also I think the limit makes perfect sense. As Valentines and Christmas are about giving...the CBs from those holidays are TJ and the staff and spriters' gifts to US. Halloween as I said before is about grabbing all the candy you can. Also from what I understand? Halloween is only unlimited because one of the spriters/staff at the time suggested to TJ that as Halloween is a candy free for all so should the dc halloween drops be. If it had not been suggested and agreed to we would have Halloween breed limits too.

15 minutes ago, Vampyre said:

Also I think the limit makes perfect sense. As Valentines and Christmas are about giving...the CBs from those holidays are TJ and the staff and spriters' gifts to US. Halloween as I said before is about grabbing all the candy you can. Also from what I understand? Halloween is only unlimited because one of the spriters/staff at the time suggested to TJ that as Halloween is a candy free for all so should the dc halloween drops be. If it had not been suggested and agreed to we would have Halloween breed limits too.

That line of thinking only made sense when players could only have 2 dragons TOTAL per holiday breed and lost anything they bred with no choice in the matter to people who had not yet reached the limit. Now we see far more ability to be generous and people exercising that generosity on Halloween than any other holiday when everyone is so limited they literally are unable to give when they have hit the limits.

I'm beyond thrilled with the ability to get the 2 CB I missed from past holidays, and if the limits never change I'll still be happy with what I have. However, I'm pro-upping or removing the limits starting next year, and I honestly think the word "greedy" should be banned from the forum. It's almost never not used in the form of a personal attack.

Edited by LibbyLishly
I can spell.

I feel pretty accomplished that I finally have all of my Christmas holiday CBs after 8 years of playing. I don't have to worry about trading for low gens anymore and I was able to catch all but one, which was a generous gift which I will always remember. 

There are also players who are working to try and catch their own or are working to help others get theirs, so it's a little disheartening to see comments about being disappointed that there's not enough competition anymore.

I feel accomplished! I gifted 2 CB hollies!!!  I have to catch 2 more of course but that's OK. 

For those of you who feel 'disappointed' (dragon_arback) why don't you gift your 2 and catch 2 more again and keep doing it until you feel accomplished? 

Edited by Tearadria

47 minutes ago, Vampyre said:

You did not point out why you were disappointed down to the letter leaving it free for interpretation. I merely pointed out the two MOST LIKELY answers for you to be disappointed without just automatically assuming you were being a grinch/scrooge. I could have you know? Also a laptop, no matter how old, is far superior to catching than my cellphone...after all you can most likely at least open multiple windows. /I/ have to back out of the inevitable "you're too slow" page each and every time I click an egg.

Again TJ didnt need to give us this opportunity. He could have said the 109 CB Hollies on site were enough and left it at that. But he didnt. Be happy that now if you ever DID decide to get into lineages? That you dont have to pay through the nose months ahead of time to the 54 still active Holly CB owners. 

I can't really open multiple windows. I'm using the touchpad and there's no middle click like a normal mouse has. Would if i could, though.

And I've said this before, but limits are extremely counter-intuitive to giving. I'm at my limit now. I can't catch for others. I'll have less CBs to breed second gens for others. Halloween's lack of limits actually makes being generous much easier. If that much is true that it was the spriter's request, then I'm grateful to Marionetta. If it was staff, no clue who'd that be.

35 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

That line of thinking only made sense when players could only have 2 dragons TOTAL per holiday breed and lost anything they bred with no choice in the matter to people who had not yet reached the limit. Now we see far more ability to be generous and people exercising that generosity on Halloween than any other holiday when everyone is so limited they literally are unable to give when they have hit the limits.

I'm beyond thrilled with the ability to get the 2 CB I missed from past holidays, and if the limits never change I'll still be happy with what I have. However, I'm pro-upping or removing the limits starting next year, and I honestly think the word "greedy" should be banned from the forum. It's almost never not used in the form of a personal attack.

Im not saying that im against raised limits, down the road, if the holiday biome remains a thing. As long as its not this year as that would lead to more heart break as people aim to fill up entirely on hollies and maybe, just maybe, feel charitable to give one or two away to folks who cant catch at all. Also I  would prefer all new holiday drops to be limited to 2 release date CBs (so you'd have to catch any extras the next year. This way people with bad internet will have a better chance of getting at least 2 from a limited drop during the main holiday days.

Just now, Vampyre said:

Im not saying that im against raised limits, down the road, if the holiday biome remains a thing. As long as its not this year as that would lead to more heart break as people aim to fill up entirely on hollies and maybe, just maybe, feel charitable to give one or two away to folks who cant catch at all. Also I  would prefer all new holiday drops to be limited to 2 release date CBs (so you'd have to catch any extras the next year. This way people with bad internet will have a better chance of getting at least 2 from a limited drop during the main holiday days.

Sure, I would have been fine with heavy drops and no limits this year, but I agree that more people will be made happy by the limits existing this year - and I do like the tradition of new release holidays having the limit of two, as well. Next year, more of the player base will be on equal footing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a change on limits for older breeds. Otherwise, I'll be at my CB limit on everything and won't be able to give CB eggs like I have this year (and I personally find Hollies extremely overrated and would be giving away every last one that I caught next year).

Well I am definitely not disappointed in the holiday biome.  I was disappointed when I first joined DC, having been lured by the cute little Yulebuck hatchlings that I was seeing posted on a friend's LiveJournal posts, only to find I had just missed the release.  I was gutted when I later discovered that not only had I missed the release of the little cutie, but that it was a one off special that wouldn't be repeated. 

When I found out they would be breedable the following Christmas and I might get one of my own, I stuck around, impatiently waiting for the chance to get one. I stalked the AP the next Christmas and managed to grab two.  One was several generations with a nice neat lineage and the other was a second generation.  I remember being torn between which to freeze, because I really wanted that cute frozen hatchling, and which to let grow up. 

I never imagined that there would ever be a second chance to get a CB of my favourite holiday dragon after I missed my original chance.  

Catching eggs on my phone was difficult and time-consuming, but I persevered and finally saw that wonderful screen with the egg and the codes.  

I am overjoyed to have my two CB Yulebucks after all these years - I am probably even more pleased with those than with the Hollies - and am increasing my (rather pitifully small thanks to some very busy holidays in recent years) Yulebuck collection now with pretty lineages that I hope to continue in coming years. 

So thank you TJ for doing this and rest assured that many of us are not in the least disappointed in this holiday gift. 

Just hid my batch for the night. Ribbon Dancers, Snow Angels and Yulebucks hatched safely shortly after hitting 4 days, one Hollies aren't quite there yet, so I'll see them hatch together tomorrow.

You all have a good hunt and safe hatches!

Edited by Gluria