TJ09

2017-12-18 - Holiday Event Schedule

Nope I do not think getting rid of the limits will help and I agree with dropping oldest 1st and newest later. I am still working on getting my Hollies & Yulebucks and I will not give up.

1 minute ago, Merlot said:

Nope I do not think getting rid of the limits will help and I agree with dropping oldest 1st and newest later. I am still working on getting my Hollies & Yulebucks and I will not give up.

*waves the flag of determination with Merlot*

Dropping the oldest first won't help people who can't hunt the first day or two.

Removing limits and taking ratios out of the equation might.. like if they were all as common as one-another.

I don't think getting rid of limits would help. Hollies and Yulebucks will still be the rarest, so people will fill up their scrolls with them. Those with slow internet or poor reflexes will have an even harder time. It's not impossible to get them now, just frustrating and difficult. 

I caught two Hollies on my phone while there were 150+ people hunting in an area with extremely poor internet connection. Then I traded for one. Before someone assumes I have multiple, I gifted one away. It can be done.

Edited by The Dragoness

3 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Dropping the oldest first won't help people who can't hunt the first day or two.

Removing limits and taking ratios out of the equation might.. like if they were all as common as one-another.

I don't think making them all the same common-ness would work too well, at least in terms of drop-rates. We would have the same number of Snows dropping as Hollies, but even with no limits more people are bound to go for Hollies over Snows simply because they may not have any CB Hollies and they probably do have CB Snows.

5 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I didn't say drop the oldest first, I said dropping the oldest at higher ratio than the new ones that tend to block. That way they will be the eggs that most often appear, throughout the week.

With the limits in place, those with slower connections can catch them later in the week when others are locked. Without the limits, those with slower connections are continually at a disadvantage.

Honestly, I'm just glad the limits for CB holiday dragons exist. It gives more chances for people to get the CBs they want as the traffic on the biome decreases once people have got their pairs and move on to other things. I've also found that grabbing eggs on the Holidays biome has been easier than on the Halloween biome.

Yeah, the big problem with the Snows in the biome is really more that they can't be picked up, at all, by most players. So, even if you really like Snows, they end up just sitting there.

It'll likely stay a problem unless limits are lifted next year. I do hope they are, I'd like more CB Aegis. The angry boys are pretty and so few breed them...

1 minute ago, Twimm said:

I didn't say drop the oldest first, I said dropping the oldest at higher ratio than the new ones that tend to block. That way they will be the eggs that most often appear, throughout the week.

With the limits in place, those with slower connections can catch them later in the week when others are locked. Without the limits, those with slower connections are continually at a disadvantage.

Yep I agree and you would think with Hughes Net 5 I would have an awesome speed but nope. Thanks to a really sweet person who gifted me a CB Yulebuck I am now just looking for a Holly 

@Marie19R I'm not entirely opposed to the hollys having limits, at least this year, because effectively no one is around who still has them from the original release.

But once next year rolls around, that's going to be a lot harder of a case to prove.

3 hours ago, TJ09 said:

That's been discussed to death in suggestions already.

The goal here is to help people who missed out on the original releases. Removing limits is directly counter to that goal because it specifically means people who *were* around can now also compete for those same eggs.

I have some criticisms. If that's the case, why were Halloween's unlimited then? That worked out just fine, if not better. People could catch and gift for others, everyone's happy.

I can see a case for limits this year so everything gets evenly distributed, but next year, I highly doubt a limit will be helpful- unless 90% of the userbase goes poof and we end up in the same situation.

(too many 'new reply' dings- I don't have time to read and post)

Halloween dragons have always been unlimited, because of the nature of the holiday. Christmas and Valentine dragons have always had a limit of 2 CB per user on them. 

I see pretty much all possibly "solutions" here having major downsides. Raising the limit won't do anything in the long run since people will just hit that new limit and then the same issues will happen again. But I don't like the idea of getting rid of limits altogether for many different reasons, including the severe disadvantage that people with slower internet/reflexes and/or less time would have getting the most wanted breeds if everyone could grab to their heart's content. Perhaps if the oldest breeds, or at the very least Hollies, dropped at a rate of like ten times the others, then even the disadvantaged could get some... But that probably wouldn't happen.

Comparing this to Halloween isn't exactly the best comparison because Halloween has *always* been unlimited and there are stated reasons for that. Halloween is supposed to be all-you-can-get, it has always been that way, so it makes perfect sense that the Halloween re-release was unlimited. It wouldn't make much sense, imo, to suddenly put a strict limit on something that has always been unlimited. I'm sure that wouldn't go over too well with anyone!

6 hours ago, Earth Gurl said:

Someone viewbombing an egg isn't a problem with the site. Hide your scroll, fog & ward your eggs. That's what those features are for. People are horrible sometimes, but that's what happens sometimes. He won't post if it's something he doesn't see the need to fix because there's already features that fix the problem.

You miss the point- most people don't even  /know/ this is going on. It would be awful nice for some to tell them.

Whether it be News post or mass email. Yes, we can already hide things, but most people don't do that by default, then they're waking up to dead things when they themselves didn't add anything to hatcheries.

1 minute ago, Marie19R said:

I see pretty much all possibly "solutions" here having major downsides. Raising the limit won't do anything in the long run since people will just hit that new limit and then the same issues will happen again. But I don't like the idea of getting rid of limits altogether for many different reasons, including the severe disadvantage that people with slower internet/reflexes and/or less time would have getting the most wanted breeds if everyone could grab to their heart's content. Perhaps if the oldest breeds, or at the very least Hollies, dropped at a rate of like ten times the others, then even the disadvantaged could get some... But that probably wouldn't happen.

Comparing this to Halloween isn't exactly the best comparison because Halloween has *always* been unlimited and there are stated reasons for that. Halloween is supposed to be all-you-can-get, it has always been that way, so it makes perfect sense that the Halloween re-release was unlimited. It wouldn't make much sense, imo, to suddenly put a strict limit on something that has always been unlimited. I'm sure that wouldn't go over too well with anyone!

Yup, there is no perfect solution. I think the best option is ratio adjustment, but of course that won't make 100% of people happy.

Even though I've got a reasonably fast internet now, I remember trying to play this game with a slow connection when I started, and so I'm not in favor of changing limits, only ratios.

@Marie19R There will likely be much less demand next year, though, so it won't be as severe if limits for prior holidays are lifted wholesale as it would have been this year. Would people still want them? Yes... but a lot of people are also fine only having a few, and if we don't raise the limits in some manner, that biome will be useless to most players within two years.

Yes, halloweens were unlimited at the start, but I'd like to point out that limiting Christmas and Valentines has effectively made them artificially rarer. There's always enough Halloween dragons to go around, even despite the lack of limit, so what did the limit original solve?

1 minute ago, Guillotine said:

@Marie19R There will likely be much less demand next year, though, so it won't be as severe if limits for prior holidays are lifted wholesale as it would have been this year. Would people still want them? Yes... but a lot of people are also fine only having a few, and if we don't raise the limits in some manner, that biome will be useless to most players within two years.

Isn't that kind of the point, though? They originally weren't coming back at all. Now they are here so that people can get CBs they missed. Sure, it would be great to have as many Christmas dragons as Weenies, but in both instances, it's more for people who missed out than those that already have theirs.

7 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

That's true to an extent, but looking at how many new users there are every year (just a fraction of which actually join the forums) I'd think that the older holidays like Hollies and Yulebucks would still be very much in demand for quite a few users, and if limits are lifted entirely then all those newer users may actually have no chance at all of getting any. I also agree with @Jazeki, TJ has specifically stated they were re-released so that people who missed them in the past could get them. If people who got them this year could get even more next year, it would completely defeat the purpose of doing it so that newer users could catch up with older users.

Edited by Marie19R

2 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

Isn't that kind of the point, though? They originally weren't coming back at all. Now they are here so that people can get CBs they missed. Sure, it would be great to have as many Christmas dragons as Weenies, but in both instances, it's more for people who missed out than those that already have theirs.

^This.

@Jazeki It doesn't end up working out that way though. Having no limit on halloweens allows people to actually build lineages with them and ultimately end up with less related pairs of dragons to work with. Limiting Christmas and Valentines to only 2 per player ever makes that much harder.

I truly think that what this game's focus has become for a lot of the people who stick around (lineage building) is at odds with what TJ wanted it to be (a silly little collection game).

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

4 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@Jazeki It doesn't end up working out that way though. Having no limit on halloweens allows people to actually build lineages with them and ultimately end up with less related pairs of dragons to work with. Limiting Christmas and Valentines to only 2 per player ever makes that much harder.

I truly think that what this game's focus has become for a lot of the people who stick around (lineage building) is at odds with that TJ wanted it to be (a silly little collection game).

We can't say how anything has worked out because this is the first year that this has happened. If I wanted to, I could build lineages of X-mas and V-Day dragons just fine.  TJ said it's for letting people have CBs that they missed out on. Lineage building is just a side thing.  I'm sure ratio adjusting will help.

13 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

Raising the limit won't do anything in the long run since people will just hit that new limit and then the same issues will happen again.

I disagree. Raising the limit slightly (to 3 or 4) would significantly alleviate the problem, because people will still have scroll limits. If you can only have 8 eggs on your scroll at a time, you're not going to be able to fill up on every possible holiday breed. People will have to pick and choose. And that means they will have room on their scroll to pick up an egg and then drop it again. The reason why newer eggs are sometimes shutting down traffic completely is that nobody is ABLE to pick it up because they already took two last year. Next year, if the limit were raised to, say, four, everyone would have the ability to pick up two 2017 dragons, so they will never block the chute the way 2016 dragons are doing. The year after that, many people would still have the ability to pick up 2017 dragons because no one will have enough egg slots to hit the limit on every Christmas breed anyway.

Halloweens being unlimited wasn't that much of a problem because Pumpkins as the oldes Halloween breed available in the holiday biome weren't nearly as rare as Hollies.

Besides, it wasn't easy for me to get my share of Pumpkins this year and I really hope for next year so I can reach my scroll goal.

The problem are really just the Hollies - in comparison, it was even fairly easy to catch Yulebucks this year, so upping the limit would make people go crazy and HOARD every Holly they can get.

I VERY strongly disagree with everyone stating upping breed limits will help. It honestly won't.

If I could have more, I'd go hunt more Hollies to reach my scroll goal for unlimited breeds, which would mean significantly less Hollies for others. Duh!

Edited by Gluria

Just now, Jazeki said:

We can't say how anything has worked out because this is the first year that this has happened. If I wanted to, I could build lineages of X-mas and V-Day dragons just fine.  TJ said it's for letting people have CBs that they missed out on. Lineage building is just a side thing.  I'm sure ratio adjusting will help.

Well, the thing is.. CBs really only have value cause they produce gen 2s, and so on.. I'll be blunt, I don't like the Holly sprite even. I picked two up because I want to help give fresh blood to lineages. If it was just for me and just for collection.. I already have a messy one.

This year, again, I can see the case for limits, so everything gets evenly distributed, but I don't agree that we'll need one next year.