TJ09

2017-12-18 - Holiday Event Schedule

Just now, laertid said:

Well, halloween dragons were unlimited from the start. No one ever wished for a CB pumpkin as a prize, IIRC, so we can't compare them to a CB Holly. Hence all the craziness for Hollies.

this was going around the talk of if the 2 limit was suddenly lifted to unlimited. in the case it was comparing if they were.

iam sure if the limit was gone their would be a massive craze of people suddenly hoarding holidays left and right first year. then suddenly die out next year.

The thing with Hollies is they're 2 years older than Pumpkins. I have an old CB pumpkin, and I would bet a lot more people did as well when the old raffles were happening.

But the Christmas dragons from the same year as pumpkins- the Snow Angels- aren't considered rare.

1 minute ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

The thing with Hollies is they're 2 years older than Pumpkins.

But the Christmas dragons from the same year as pumpkins- the Snow Angels- aren't considered rare.

less blood when they were released + limits forced them into rarity. especially when old players left. making new hollies almost nonexistent.

1 minute ago, reddof-f6 said:

less blood when they were released + limits forced them into rarity. especially when old players left. making new hollies almost nonexistent.

Yeah.. pretty much. Limits may help people catch, but they don't help sustain the overall population. Wasn't it 108 CB Hollies with 1 in the wild? I forget exactly.

Pumpkins are also quite limited in what they can breed with. Hollies not so much.

Just now, Dragon_Arbock said:

Yeah.. pretty much. Limits may help people catch, but they don't help sustain the overall population. Wasn't it 108 CB Hollies with 1 in the wild? I forget exactly.

sounds about right, and only half the owning accounts being active.

1 minute ago, reddof-f6 said:

sounds about right, and only half the owning accounts being active.

I mean, hollies are a decade old. Decline in activity is to be expected, and hence why this refresh with the holiday biome is probably happening. That's my guess.

Or maybe this: if an egg sits in the biome for more than 5m, it goes to AP where it sits invisible until it's down 5 hours.

Just now, zaverxi said:

Or maybe this: if an egg sits in the biome for more than 5m, it goes to AP where it sits invisible until it's down 5 hours.

mite as well just release the egg into the wild. the AP will be clogged later with bred holidays anyway.

2 minutes ago, reddof-f6 said:

mite as well just release the egg into the wild. the AP will be clogged later with bred holidays anyway.

The cb holiday extras have actually been moving through the AP, so no need to put them in the wild yet. I asked about them much earlier and also clicked a few.

Darn, looks like hunting will have to wait until my internet comes back. Stuck on mobile and it's a pain trying to catch anything on here :l 

How is everyone else holding up so far with their catches? 

1 minute ago, DarknessDragon197 said:

Darn, looks like hunting will have to wait until my internet comes back. Stuck on mobile and it's a pain trying to catch anything on here :l 

got all mine. =]

2 minutes ago, DarknessDragon197 said:

Still no Hollies, got everything else though, Yules included.

I'm locked, but when I am able I'll be searching for CB Yulebucks... and finally be able to go to the AP and get some lineaged things hopefully.

I'm egglocked but I got my goal of having one of every CB Holiday dragon before I joined, except a Holly. (No surprise there lol)

1 hour ago, zaverxi said:

Incognito worked. :o I immediately got a holly! Fogged.

How do you put it on incognito?

Thank you for giving me the possibility of getting my Xmas collection compete. I was able to get 2 holly, 2 yule and 1 snow angel I was missing. 

Now I have 2 of everything. As for the limit I think it's awsome they are still there. This way everyone gets a chance to grab the ones they missed in previous years as good catchers on a speed connection won't be able to hoard cbs. 

When everybody has had the chance limits could be lifted with 1 or 2 per year so it still will be possible for new members to take the ones they missed as older members can only take 1 or 2 extra that year.  

^ ctrl+shift+n will pop up a new tab in incognito mode.

Edited by Nyxity

If you kick them to the AP there's only a slighter chance of them not dying, although I have a feeling if you're in the AP, you're most likely done with CB hunting. (If they get kicked to the wild without getting clicks they die, right? I'm not as up on that part of how the Cave works.)

In terms of keeping the holiday biome moving, the focus should be on the newer breeds, not the older ones. I don't want to vilify them, but the fact is, the older an egg is, the more likely it is that there are people out there who can still pick it up. Excluding the people who just joined in within the last year, the majority of active users cannot pick up snows. The blocks we are experiencing now of the most recent holidays are not created out of disdain for the breed, but out of the mechanics the limits have created. 

I don't claim to understand crud about how the ratios work, but I'm assuming the holiday biome works on a fairly.... normal system? For lack of a better way to put it. Older eggs may seem to appear less, but a higher number of people are able to pick them up, which assures that when they appear in the biome, they will be taken quickly considering the high number of users sitting in the biome. There needs to be something to compensate for the fact that there are limits. "Typical" ratios aren't calculated with limits in mind. A ratio adjustment, a slight limit increase, a combo of both? Make the ratios so that, the lower number of CBs of a certain breed there is, the more new ones will be generated in the holiday biome? If there a way to adjust it to only account CBs owned by active users, that'd be better, but I highly doubt that's possible, and if it were, it'd be a nightmare to code. 

Apologies for the teal deer and re-statement of many facts already spoken. I felt the need to articulate all this now that my brain is at it's peak. At way-too-early-in-the-morning. I know, shut up. :|

Edited by DorkJulian

2 minutes ago, DorkJulian said:

(If they get kicked to the wild without getting clicks they die, right? I'm not as up on that part of how the Cave works.)

the older an egg is, the more likely it is that there are people out there who can still pick it up. Excluding the people who just joined in within the last year, the majority of active users cannot pick up snows. The blocks we are experiencing now of the most recent holidays are not created out of disdain for the breed, but out of the mechanics the limits have created.

i assumed the wild hatchlings auto grew in the wild despite views or not.

exactly, this was the case with me. i was only missing caveborns of angels, yulebucks and hollies. everything else i caught at original release and so i couldn't help unclog the blockers because my limits were all met.

Even with the low amounts of people in the cave right now (past the time I normally go to sleep at), I still can't nab a second Holly.

Gonna head to bed and see if my luck is better tomorrow.

Good luck to all of those still trying tonight for CB Hollies!

Just wish hollies were easier to catch so the better catchers would be offering to catch them for folks on crappy mobiles like me. All these "ctrl r the left most egg" and "hunt in incognito" tips are worthless to mobile users!

God wish i'd waited til now to breed my dang shim because id have been able to trade 2g shim for a cb holly ;_;

I'm another user who found dead eggs on my scroll this morning. They were pretty AP finds and not my CB Hollies, because I was paranoid enought to fog those, but I'm still sad about it. I hadn't entered my eggs into any hatcheries yet, so it wasn't EATWs fault as people keep suggesting.

Just now, HPhaeton said:

I'm another user who found dead eggs on my scroll this morning. They were pretty AP finds and not my CB Hollies, because I was paranoid enought to fog those, but I'm still sad about it. I hadn't entered my eggs into any hatcheries yet, so it wasn't EATWs fault as people keep suggesting.

its never the hatcherys fault. its always some angry person who submits the eggs to hatcherys to purposefully kill them and ruin someones day. always hide your eggs during the heavy holidays.