Shirubia

Breed rarity by season?

I think users just have different opinions of what the game should be. Apparently some think that getting commons should be near instantaneous, and the idea of working and spending time trying to find a common is bad. I don't see it that way. The game doesn't *owe* us anything, any dragons, any breeds. A breed being common means that they pop up more often then some others; It does not mean that everyone should always be able to find one. Honestly I like having to put a little effort into finding my commons. And apparently some people's experiences are different then mine, but if I camp out in the biomes for an hour or two I almost *always* find the common I'm looking for. I may not get it, if someone gets to it before I do, but I do see it. I like the game for what it is and what it has always been, and that's why I play it. If it's not enjoyable for someone, why would they still play it?

I simply don't agree that a biome shuffle every 5 minutes is too slow, or a "problem", or limits people too much. 5-minute shuffles mean a *mimimum* of 13 chances at eggs every hour, and that's only if no one ever picks up an egg in between those shuffles. I don't see how that is a problem.

It's not so much that working for a common is bad, it's that it's random and I have no control over it. I am fine with putting in effort so long as it means I am making progress. I breed shiny pokemon (and no, shines aren't random- the RNG in pokemon is predetermined and will always happen in the same sequence).

But effort =/= bad. Random = bad. Random plus a lot of waiting = worse, so it ends up as a waste of time.

With the amount of commons we have now, it might be a good idea to have a sorta small difference between them in droprate during the year or even week.

So the cave gets an additional shuffle and tho bring a new feel about getting commons.

Sure, getting commons should still be easy, but i´m pretty much sick of it only seeing the same eggs over and over even when a bunch gets taken, i always felt that those 'commons' were right now 'more common' than the rest.

We have 63 common breeds, when one egg gets taken and replaced with a common one, ist 1/63 chance its that breed you want right now (if you are aiming for just one right now) which can and will be insane if the number raises more. When a shuffle is taking place and all new eggs are common, there is a 1/21 chance the breed you want is there, which is still okay.

But looking into the future and seeing all those great dragon breeds that are created here, the number of commons WILL raise and making it harder to catch even those outside of thier release time and i think that is what most here are thinking about.

"Will there be so many commons, that some of those within that rarity will end up being rare?"

You could fix this by taking a few or a pair of breeds and change thier droprate for a day, week or even a season (i would be for just a week or a day) so each common breed has a higher chance to drop for those that need it and make it that RNG doesnt end up throwing the same common breed into a cave 5 times in a row (which is what is suggested here...but wouldnt it only lead to the problem we have now? The same breed blocking the whole biome because is more common then?)

OR

Add a 4th egg to the caves, which will increase the chance that in a shuffle is more variety of commons (since we have biomes, it would be too much)

OR

Limit the amount of the same common that end up in a shuffle. So that, after a shuffle, there are not 3 eggs of the same breed there (which i saw happen, quite annoying)

The last option seem perfect to me, common are still common but after a shuffle you have higher odds seeing different commons.

Edited by Yubelchen

3 minutes ago, Yubelchen said:

*snip*

You could fix this by taking a few or a pair of breeds and change thier droprate for a day, week or even a season (i would be for just a week or a day) so each common breed has a higher chance to drop for those that need it and make it that RNG doesnt ent up throwing the same common breed into a cave 5 times in a row

OR

Add a 4th egg to the caves, which will increase the chance that in a shuffle is more variety of commons (since we have biomes, it would be too much)

OR

Limit the amount of the same common that end up in a shuffle. So that, after a shuffle, there are not 3 eggs of the same breed there (which i saw happen, quite annoying)

The last option seem perfect to me, common are still common but after a shuffle you have higher odds seeing different commons.

Yeah, I think I like the last option the best.

@Sazandora

Thanks, i think that is truely the best we have here since it would

1. not affect the acual droprate of any breed (every rarity has still the same chance)

2. not affect the chance of getting uncommon/rare ones (rare/uncommon will not be kicked out because different droprate of a common)

3. not affect the chance of commons you see after a shuffle (every common breed has still the same chance appearing)

and i guess its easy to program too.

It would be a paramenter checking if there are more (as an example) than 1 of the same common breed and if so, replace the comming eggs with different common breeds so, if all eggs are common after a shuffle, you would see 3 different commons instead of 3 times the same one.

Of course, making the limit two would still give you 2 different breeds guaranteed every 5 minute, so even if RNG says to give you the same breed 5 times in a row in a shuffle, it would be forced to give you an additional breed to see and the chances of seeing 3 or 2 breeds every shuffle with that is very, very low but not impossible.

But hey, thats also kinda fun to see since that situation would be extremly rare.

Edited by Yubelchen

I would be down for something that prevents the same common from showing up in every slot, yeah; it would at least help keep things from feeling too stagnant. I don't feel like it solves the base issue of the game essentially punishing players for not wanting to grab the current most commonly generated (that is, those with least "mainstream" appeal for whatever reason (even if that reason is "was just released and I already have fifty")) breeds, though.

Stopping doubles would be nice, but it's still kinda luck based. The system the cave works on now worked a lot better when there were a lot fewer breeds. It would be nice to future proof and come up with something that will work not only today, but way into the future. What are we going to do when there's 50+ breeds per biome?

Also, the math is off to use 63 commons as an example, since there aren't 63 dragons in a single biome, but rather spread out between 6 of them.

And yeah.. what Guillotine said. Just the way the game works, based on ratios, if you don't pick up the most common thing, it will continue to stay that way, even if you don't want that dragon.

@Dragon_Arbock

Sure, the 63 commons are not in just one biome, the math is more of a 'worst case scenario' predicting that all commons can be found in one biome.

Even when its wrong, just as you said, what about the future? What if we have 63 common breeds in one biome one day?

I dunno if you still remember the earlier days when we had one single cave and a lot fewer dragons, but even there it was a pain to get the dragon you wanted.

I think in the future (when we have more and more and more dragons) it would work wonders with two things:

1. Stopping doubles/triple set of one common( later uncommon?) breed AND

2. add a new biome (plains? tundra? ocean? underground?) / OR +1 egg to biomes

That would spread out the breeds more and makes it possible to have a better chance to get the breed you want without messing up ratios

Edited by Yubelchen

11 minutes ago, Yubelchen said:

@Dragon_Arbock

Sure, the 63 commons are not in just one biome, the math is more of a 'worst case scenario' predicting that all commons can be found in one biome.

Even when its wrong, just as you said, what about the future? What if we have 63 common breeds in one biome one day?

I dunno if you still remember the earlier days when we had one single cave and a lot fewer dragons, but even there it was a pain to get the dragon you wanted.

I think in the future (when we have more and more and more dragons) it would work wonders with two things:

1. Stopping doubles/triple set of one common( later uncommon?) breed AND

2. add a new biome (plains? tundra? ocean? underground?) / OR +1 egg to biomes

That would spread out the breeds more and makes it possible to have a better chance to get the breed you want without messing up ratios

Yeah, I remember- I don't recall it being /so/ bad until they released the spitfires, cause then you had a rare at the time dragon (stripes) sharing the same description as something quite common.

Preventing two of the same egg from showing up at a time would be nice, but I wonder if there could be some way to guarantee every common and uncommon shows up at least once an hour? Not that's I'm entirely sure how that would be coded.

New biomes I think would be nice, because we are lacking some key biome types. For one, a River, as we currently have no freshwater biomes. Plains or Grasslands are also missing, then any other niche that can be thought of. Tundra could be the place for things that live in cold but not in mountains like the ice breeds seem to be delegated to now. Ocean could work, but I'm not sure what would live that wouldn't show up in the Coast. Marsh has also crossed my mind.

Yeah, breeds of different rarity sharing the same description is a whole different thing, if you are quick you can copy the link and replace 'get' with 'lineage' and see what it is, useful trick to get red dorsals btw.

One could make it so, that every <insert number> shuffle would let an uncommon appear to 100% or at least 50% instead of a common, but that would be useful if the number of uncommon breeds would get much higher as well i think. To not mess up rations, it could be done by saying let a counter count up from the moment a shuffle had no uncommon and when it hits a certain turn, it would place a fix spot for an uncommon in the next shuffle. Would not mess with ratios also, which is neat, and give you a possible uncommon of RNG is not nice.

But a rare should stay an rare, rare doesnt mean you will get them after x shuffle, they should stay simply luck based, just to add this.

Its offtopic but yeah, we miss some important biomes but i guess we get them someday because of the number of dragons we have, it also needs to discusse which dragons would end up where so i think plans like that were already considered.

Coast & Ocean is easy, what about underwater caves? Giant leviathans living in the depth because there is more space, has more fish & its darker? We already have some dragons living only in water and also remember the coast has land and cliff besides water, i also bet the coast is pretty crowded with dragons nesting on land and live from catching fish.

This is a nice idea but rarity is kind of a grey area, xenowyrms, blusangs, gold wyverns, and coppers where all intended as uncommons but ended up rare due to user demand so where do you draw the line?

The line would be the droprate, as far as i know, they only became rare because everybody wants them suddenly. I remember the days these dragons (except xenowyrms) were pretty often to see in caves, dont ask me what made them suddenly popular.

Still, i think the droprate didnt changed, its just that people want more of them now, so they are still considered uncommen in my eyes.

On 12/19/2017 at 7:41 PM, Yubelchen said:

The line would be the droprate, as far as i know, they only became rare because everybody wants them suddenly. I remember the days these dragons (except xenowyrms) were pretty often to see in caves, dont ask me what made them suddenly popular.

Still, i think the droprate didnt changed, its just that people want more of them now, so they are still considered uncommen in my eyes.

I was actually replying to the OP (probably should have said that, my bad) 

@blockEdragon Ah okay, yeah, i thought you meant me, but okay, the answere should be the same i guess. Droprate = rarity; demand and offer is what WE decide, not the game.

But who knows, you should tag the OP just in case

Edited by Yubelchen