Aeskulaph

Make naming easier

Hello, I am more of a lurker of the forum, but something really bothers me... the NAMING! 

I am one of those people who like to give all their dragons a name, I still have a lot to name, but it is a very annoying process at the moment, click on actions -> click on name -> type the name -> confirm the name.

Especially for people with slow internet this is annoying, an icon right next to the name would be an idea, that you can click on and change it quick and easy, another idea would be to press a button to open a naming menu, listing all the dragons in your scroll with their names in fields, able to be changed, you can change whatever you like and then save all at once.

It would make the life at dragon cave a LOT easier..

Except the site has to check if the names are unused, has no wrong characters, and does not contain an auto-kill word.  Naming multiple dragons would increase the time it took to do that a lot.  And do you really want to name 10, 20, 50 dragons only to have one not be usable and have to go back through?  I don't think a menu would work at all.

As to clicking the action button, you have to do that for every other action, what's the difference?

Maybe there could be an option to upload an Excel table with up to, say, 100 pairs of codes and names: first column has codes, second column has names. You upload the table, and then within 24 hours (when load is lowest), the system processes your file. When you come back, you get a report - "CODE was given the name NAME" or "CODE was not successfully named - Suggested name already in use" or "CODE was not successfully named - Illegal characters in suggested name" or similar.

Personally, I have a whole lot of unnamed dragons -- something like this might motivate me to try to name them… (As it is, I tend to just name the parents of eggs I'm trying to trade…)

If you use the unnamed scroll filter, it brings up the naming action alongside all dragons so you can skip having to click actions. :)

Perhaps with the unnamed filter it could also be possible to just click a code and type in a name before saving, although @DragonLady86 makes a good point--perhaps you could only edit ten names at a time, with a pop up that you'd maxed out if you try to do more?

Either way I'm pretty neutral on the suggestion. Yes, naming takes a while if you have slow internet--but so does virtually every other aspect of the game. If naming is already hard, then what about hunting, or clicking breed, choosing a mate, dumping the egg if it's not what you wanted? Those are both imo even more important features than naming that suffer a lot for lag, so while you could put a bandaid on naming, I'm not sure it's worth the bother to improve just one small part of how the game avoids lag when the real fix is ideally getting better internet in future.

@mpolo I don't think that would be possible for mobile users, though.

5 hours ago, mpolo said:

Maybe there could be an option to upload an Excel table with up to, say, 100 pairs of codes and names: first column has codes, second column has names. You upload the table, and then within 24 hours (when load is lowest), the system processes your file. When you come back, you get a report - "CODE was given the name NAME" or "CODE was not successfully named - Suggested name already in use" or "CODE was not successfully named - Illegal characters in suggested name" or similar.

Personally, I have a whole lot of unnamed dragons -- something like this might motivate me to try to name them… (As it is, I tend to just name the parents of eggs I'm trying to trade…)

I don't know if I understand what you mean here. I'm all for spreadsheets and being organized, but I do play DC mostly on mobile, so I have to agree with ADP.  I also don't see how it would work to have the data automatically transferred and sorted without any manual input (I also haven't used Excel in years though, so)..

As someone who had ridiculously slow internet for years, I see why OP would be frustrated with all of the loading and clicking and waiting, but I don't think there's a way around it. If there was, then every other action would need to be simplified too. Also, 3/4 of those steps are mandatory. Your best option is probably the unnamed dragons filter. At least you don't have to scroll through dragons you've already named that way. 

It's probably not necessary -- it was just an idea how to help the original poster.

The idea was that you make your spreadsheet, go to Account Settings, click on "upload naming list", select the file, it is uploaded to the server, and when Dragcave has time, it processes your file.

My version of make naming easier - and thanks for pointing that filter out ADP - is more or less to allow for repeat names. But then again, I could still be on the fence about it.

I hardly think this is an issue. If three clicks is too much for you to do, tough.

Even if it was made so that you could click a  dragon's name/code on your scroll page to name it, you still wouldn't be able to name a bunch at once cause of all the checks the site needs to do on said name.

Please no duplicate names - the determined player can always add a space. Or may I call all my dergs starscream?

I like the way chickensmoothie does it: a renaming mode, where a box pops up under all your pets and you can put in names and press enter to accept them. for dc, it'd be a re/name filter and boxes to type in names would appear where the names/codes display under a regular filter, with a clickable check mark next to each box (or you can press enter for the same effect). click the check mark, your name either is accepted or you get the regular message that the name is in use/etc.

Any sort of mass-name mode would be greatly appreciated, honestly. My internet isn't too slow (outside of when my ISP decides to abuse it's status as best of the worst), but it's still annoying to need to do that much clicking to rename multiple dragons.

I honestly don't see the huge deal here... I named over 70 dragons yesterday, and while it took time because I went through every single lineage looking for Thuweds or Dorkfaces, the actual naming didn't take long at all. Use the "unnamed" filter and all you have to do is click on name, and then type in the name, click the button, and click okay, all of which literally takes a couple seconds (and yes I do have very slow internet). I wouldn't want the pop-up confirmation box to disappear, that would be too frustrating when I accidentally click that button, so there is only one possible step to eliminate, which is clicking the "name" button. I don't really see how eliminating one little step is going to make it so much easier, but hey if it's easily doable that's fine. If it's easily doable and other people want it I'm certainly not against it, I just don't see the need.

Actually I'd rather keep the pop-up button. I routinely have more thann one tab open and have more than once clicked the wrong name. And far more annoying than the naming process is the moving of one name to another dragon when you slipped up!

Edited by fuzzbucket

do some of y'all not know about the "filter by" drop down menu...?

even if we didn't have it, it's like, two extra clicks to get to the naming menu. and i'm saying this as someone with really slow internet.

I'd prefer this to be optional, aka switched off entirely and NOT AT ALL added to my Dragons page if I say "no" on the Options page. I don't feel like buying a new computer just because of additional scripting I wouldn't use anyway. And I don't feel like reducing the dragons-per-page number either.