HeatherMarie

dragon stages sorting strange under temporary breed sort

So I know that when I use the drop down "sort by" to temporarily sort by breed, it shows adults and then frozen hatchlings and then growing things of that breed. At least it always has. But just now when I did that I noticed that my Terraes are sorting strangely, with the egg I have and one of the frozen hatchlings in the middle of the adults. The other two frozen hatchlings are after the adults like usual. I tried a hard-refresh and clearing cookies/cache, but it still shows up the same way.

image.png.dca758f6f75013d48a2f81285c07e83c.png

Here are the other two frozen hatchies sorting correctly:

image.png.8c8ee73037c30c5ce2c7bd842d7bc971.png

Have you noticed terraes sorting properly before this? I ask because sometimes terraes behave strangely due to which of the 3 egg sprites they hatched from. I remember when the encyclopedia first came out, only terraes from one of the eggs counted for unlocking the images. Possibly something similar is happening here?

Huh, I didn't think about that. It's possible that Terraes have always sorted this way and I just never noticed, but I use temp breed sort a lot and it'd be strange if I'd never noticed that. But even if the different eggs are the reasoning behind it, I'd assume that this isn't intended behavior, and that it's something that should maybe be fixed eventually. It just looks very awkward to have an egg and frozen hatchling in the middle of a bunch of adults and I can't imagine that's the way it's supposed to be.

I see what you mean - just tested and my frozen Terrae hatchies are right in the middle, too.

Edited by fuzzbucket

On a very similar note, my scroll is sorted entirely by breed, and for some reason my yellow dino would rather lead the chickens than hang out with his fellow dinos. Anyone know what's up with that?

Screenshot_20171118-174941.png

Wow. This is fun. I never use that sort, but now that I do - all my yellow dinos (I have a full set of sprites) do that too. How odd.

There's some sort of weird elitism going on with the yellow dinos, clearly. XD

Ah, I don't have any dino encyclopedia entries unlocked, so that never occurred to me. I feel like an adjustment should be made regardless, seeing as they aren't properly alphabetically sorted in the first place.

But they are. They sort in the back due to their name being in italics, and within that italicized group, they sort properly alphabetically.

Yellow: Diplodocus carnegii

Chicken: Gallus gallus domesticus

Green: Parasaurolophus cyrtocristatus

Purple: Pterodactylus maximus

Red: Stegosaurus stenops

Blue: Triceratops horridus

Edited by Ruby Eyes

No, I understand that; I mean that neither their "scientific" name nor their common name sorts into the rest of the scroll and they're already at the back in their own little oddball group. Seems silly to me to not further separate them so the dinos are all together. 

I'm with Libby. But I don't care that much as they are right at the bottom of mine, and I rarely sort by breed.

That's weird. My scroll is also sorted by breed, and chickens sort right below cheese dragons, with all of my dinos (only two haha, but they're a red and a yellow) sorting at the back.

1 hour ago, spatio said:

That's weird. My scroll is also sorted by breed, and chickens sort right below cheese dragons, with all of my dinos (only two haha, but they're a red and a yellow) sorting at the back.

Any chance you're using legacy breed sort? I just switched over to the new breed sort and I'm pretty sure legacy didn't do this.

Legacy breed sort or current? I wonder if temp sort equals legacy or current one ...

:ph34r:

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Ah yep, just checked and it's legacy breed sort. Haven't touched the settings in years so that explains it lol

*bump* Going through my scroll again with temporary breed sort and the Terraes caught my eye again. They are still sorting with an egg and frozen hatchling in the middle of all the adults... And I notice it's the same frozen hatchling that is out of place as my screenshot in the OP, so it looks like it just never moved from it's wrong place:

b37b6693ede87c903927583df1deba31.png

While I know this isn't a huge issue, it's rather annoying and unpleasing to the eye (and it threw my counting off!). Has anyone notified TJ about this?

I just did, I have no explanation for what's making that happen. The only thing I could think of was the Terrae egg sprites being different, and that has no bearing on the hatchling sprites. :blink: 

Maybe they internally count as three different breeds?

Yeah - ALL my frozens are at the bottom of their breed when I run with breed sort - except the terraes. I have no growing ones, but the two frozens are right in the middle of them.

If memory serves, Terrae sort by egg design through their entire life cycle.

19 minutes ago, raindear said:

Yeah, it also makes unlocking the encyclopedia extra annoying since there is no way to tell which had which pattern once they hatch.  :(

The encyclopaedia thing I remember - the same goes for alt blacks - you can't tell and it takes AGES to get everything unlocked

45 minutes ago, raindear said:

raindear is correct, that's why they're sorting like that. Mystery solved!