Erra

Snow Angel Breed

I Suggest to have option to somehow choose wing coloration, no getting random. Becouse if you dont have big lucky you cant get color what you want most.

PS. Sorry if i make mistake, still i learning english so my lvl of this langue is rly low.

It has been made very clear - there have been many requests - that this will never happen; that they are scroll linked and set at random. (I got the colour I wanted least - that's life.) I think it's partly to keep the colour distribution fairly even ?

Yeah. Having a color randomly assigned to your scroll makes trading and AP hunting a little bit harder, even more so if you don't like the variant you were given, but that's just kind of how it is. I myself would love to have Snow Angels with white-tipped wings instead of full gold, but oh well. What I have isn't my least favorite of the three at least. 

Yup, it's been stated this will never happen. And it would kind of be complicated if it did happen... What about all those people who had scroll-coded Snow Angels before the change? Would they still be stuck with that same coloring, would any Snow Angels they got after the change be the scroll-coded color or a chosen color, would they be forced to release all the scroll-coded ones if they weren't the color they wanted, would there be some sort of option to change the color on old Snow Angels? Nah, way too complicated.

I don't see what's so complicated about that. Just make it so that only snow angel eggs can be "influenced" towards a certain color, and you're done.

Yep, it'd be pretty simple. There was a BSA suggested at one point that would allow any SA to take a SA egg under its wing and that would 'influence' it to that SA's colour.

Then all you need to do is make individual SA hatchies keep their colour rather than swapping when they move scrolls, and you're done. Anyone can collect all three.

Unfortunately, the SA's spriter has requested that it stay random and scroll-locked. :( And because spriter's request tends to trump popular request, it's not going to change unless the spriter changes their mind.

I got my least favorite Snow Angel variant. That has pretty much ensured that I will never make lineages with them. Yeah yeah spriter gets a say, but I have to wonder why TJ even ok'd the idea in the first place.

Why would a spriter have to do as TJ says ? If they want something special, why shouldn't they get it - we are lucky they make dragons for us at all. Some of the breeding mechanics of some of our breeds drive me up the wall - but that is the spriters' prerogative. (I got my least favourite too. But fun things can still be done.)

Tell me about "least favorite"! I started out with my favorite, the tri-color. Over night, they were changed to full gold (because TJ changed the way they were assigned). Despite my original upset about it, the full golds totally grew on me, and by now, I'm happy to have them.

7 hours ago, fuzzbucket said:

Why would a spriter have to do as TJ says ? If they want something special, why shouldn't they get it - we are lucky they make dragons for us at all. Some of the breeding mechanics of some of our breeds drive me up the wall - but that is the spriters' prerogative. (I got my least favourite too. But fun things can still be done.)

Because good game design should come first.
And honestly, we had so many sprites on the completed list by spriters who have never been given a chance, if one spriter doesn't like it, there would be plenty of other people to chose from. (of course the whole aritsit contract thing has now screwed anyone who's not active anymore from getting picked, but that's besides the point). That's a whole other can of worms, but I don't like how that process is handled, and I really don't like that there's a secret forum only viewable by in-cave artists, and dragons that get picked for release from there before anything that's on the list.
But my point is, with all the competition, TJ could at least afford to pick dragons that better fit with the gameplay of the site.

He could in the future, but replacing an existing breed? We've had so much drama here about breed retirements and/or sprite updates, it's not even funny anymore. (Golds, anyone?) Let's not open that can of worms if we don't abso-****ing-lutely have to.

Besides, really, I don't think Snow Angels are that bad. And, in some other cases *cough* blue-winged Solstices *cough*, the original mechanics have been changed to our favor, and despite the fact that they were designed with a different idea in mind.

I would actually be thrilled with a snow angel "influence" for bred eggs. With the possibility of new CBs becoming available in a holiday biome, do you suppose there's also a possibility that CB colors can stay as they are, locked to the scroll (and bred eggs default to it, too), but we could have the ability to somehow influence bred eggs to be another variety?

I actually got my favorite variation on the wings - yeah, good for me, I know - but I know I'm not alone in wishing I could have all three varieties.

Edited by LibbyLishly

What's wrong with updating sprites? The Silvers were recently updated and they look even more beautiful than they already did. The original concept is still there. 

Anyway, I think that it was a bad way to distribute the different variants. From what I've seen, most people were assigned a variant they dislike, which cuts down the number of bred eggs sent to the AP each year. But on the other hand, if we were allowed to choose our favorite sprite, they would no longer be evenly distributed among players. I think a BSA would still be nice so that everyone can get what they want in a way, even if it isn't likely to happen.

Editing to say that I agree with what Dragon_Arbock below~

Edited by The Dragoness

8 minutes ago, olympe said:

He could in the future, but replacing an existing breed? We've had so much drama here about breed retirements and/or sprite updates, it's not even funny anymore. (Golds, anyone?) Let's not open that can of worms if we don't abso-****ing-lutely have to.

Besides, really, I don't think Snow Angels are that bad. And, in some other cases *cough* blue-winged Solstices *cough*, the original mechanics have been changed to our favor, and despite the fact that they were designed with a different idea in mind.

Not asking for them to replace, more wondering what line of thought even led it to being ok'd at the time.
And honestly, some breeds could really use new sprites to match the high standards set for new breeds (Reds, Dorsals, etc..). Change for change's sake is bad, but change to meet a new, higher standard would be okay. A lot of the dragons on the site don't look like they match, so to say.

As true as that is, I don't think it's applicable to holiday dragons. The only (kind of) holiday dragons that could have used an update were hollies, Val '09s and vamps, and all of them got it.

Uh, wait, the mistletoes got one, too? I never actually noticed. XD 

Anyway, the line of thought going into this was probably that TJ was experimenting with new stuff. Scroll-coded alts (which he re-used for alt sweetlings), partially transparent sprites (shadow walkers) - and probably a number of other things.

47 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

From what I've seen, most people were assigned a variant they dislike

Really I think it is more a matter of those who hate the one they got being more vocal than those who are happy with what they got. ;)

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Really I think it is more a matter of those who hate the one they got being more vocal than those who are happy with what they got. ;)

I don't disagree with your logic there! I'm just making a general guess based on what I've seen around the forum :)

There are also a lot of people like me who learned to love the variant they got. :D

I just think it's a shame the variants pretty much make it impossible to continue a lineage. It would be one thing if they bred their variant, but it's another thing entirely that it's scroll-determined I'd still be less pleased about only being able to have CBs of my least favorite, but I'd be happy if I could get the others in some form. As it is now, it's just something to look at that I can't do anything with.

The only positive thing to say about it is that it can make for some fun multi-user projects if you're lucky enough to be friends with users of each colour.

I don't even remember which colour my SAs are, because I know it's not my favourite (tri) and I know it's not the right one to continue the few lineages I find in the AP. I picked up a few for the sake of curiosity and sprite collection and I left them alone.

Let's make a point, over this Christmas, to scan the AP and do two things:

1. Regularly screenshot the AP and count the percentage of SAs.

2. Catalog walls and count the percentage of SAs.

I figure that if we do those things and we look at SAs' ratio compared to other breeds, then we would really know whether or not they're less popular than other Christmas breeds. (I mean, obviously there's some gradients for time to be taken into account, but still.)

If it turns out that they ARE less popular, then perhaps a change in their breeding style is needed. If not, then perhaps it's really not as big a deal as we thought.

...Where and when should I post a thread about this. XD

2 hours ago, Zeditha said:

The only positive thing to say about it is that it can make for some fun multi-user projects if you're lucky enough to be friends with users of each colour.

I don't even remember which colour my SAs are, because I know it's not my favourite (tri) and I know it's not the right one to continue the few lineages I find in the AP. I picked up a few for the sake of curiosity and sprite collection and I left them alone.

Let's make a point, over this Christmas, to scan the AP and do two things:

1. Regularly screenshot the AP and count the percentage of SAs.

2. Catalog walls and count the percentage of SAs.

I figure that if we do those things and we look at SAs' ratio compared to other breeds, then we would really know whether or not they're less popular than other Christmas breeds. (I mean, obviously there's some gradients for time to be taken into account, but still.)

If it turns out that they ARE less popular, then perhaps a change in their breeding style is needed. If not, then perhaps it's really not as big a deal as we thought.

...Where and when should I post a thread about this. XD

How do you judge their popularity- by there being walls of them, or there being none at all? I usually breed mine, but I don't make lines with them.
I will say I do actually like the sprites (as opposed to the Holly, who, even with the revamp still pales in comparison), but the problem for me is I always pick up nice gold winged or white-winged variants and my variant ruins the line.

I'm hoping they do the Holiday biome mainly for Snow Angels. If I can pick up new CBs then I don't have to frantically rush around the forum for eggs from the correct parent. It also means my lineages are safe, should they ever do the BSA to swap wings.

@Zeditha I really don't see the point of a tally. It could never be accurate and even if it were I'm not sure what we would learn from it. If there are fewer SAs sitting around on the AP does that mean that no one is breeding them because they are not popular, or that they are being picked up quickly? I don't remember a particular shortage of SAs on the AP in years past.

1 hour ago, Vhale said:

I'm hoping they do the Holiday biome mainly for Snow Angels. If I can pick up new CBs then I don't have to frantically rush around the forum for eggs from the correct parent. It also means my lineages are safe, should they ever do the BSA to swap wings.

Crumbs. That too :) It absolutely shoudln't be possible to switch adults.

17 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

@Zeditha I really don't see the point of a tally. It could never be accurate and even if it were I'm not sure what we would learn from it. If there are fewer SAs sitting around on the AP does that mean that no one is breeding them because they are not popular, or that they are being picked up quickly? I don't remember a particular shortage of SAs on the AP in years past.

There certainly wasn't a shortage last year. I got LOADS :)

My main goal for each Winter Holiday event is to get as many snow angels as possible (that fit with my scroll color). I think it's the one (formerly) limited holiday breed I have the most of. *checks* *confirmed*