TheAlphaToothless

Cross Breeding/Out Scroll Breeding/ User-to-User Breeding

it will be awesome if The developer makes a Cross Breeding for example Another user`s Dragon to another users Dragon breeding ofcourse it must be done with the help of BSA ... how bout that? :D

Edited by policestation
suggested

This has been suggested many times in the past: here and here for example.

This would be very interesting for some people, and would certainly help with certain lineages. However there is a big issue of how it would be implemented so that people aren't harassed to breed with others, because not everyone is going to want their dragons to breed with other user's dragons. There would have to be some way to show that you don't want your dragon breeding with others, that you do not want to be contacted about it, etc.

If it were a BSA, did you have a dragon in mind for that?

Not to forget, we'd need a system to determine who gets the resulting egg - if there is an egg to begin with. 

Frankly, I'm not a fan of this.

ETA. I'd also like to suggest that you find a different title for your thread. To me, "crossbreeding" implies breeding between different kinds of dragons (which is already possible) or hybridization (which, in some rare cases, is also possible). Your suggestion, however, is more about breeding between different scrolls.

Edited by olympe

Good point about the title :)

But I don't support this one either - for the reasons given by olympe. The old threads flesh out my extreme reservations.

This is one of those topics that I'm on the fence about. One hand, it would be nice for lineage and non-inbreeding purposes.. but on the other hand is the possible harrassment issue. A statement similar to the 'not accepting aid' line, might be enough.. but there's always going to be a self-centered idiot that thinks it doesn't apply to them. Given the option, I'd say implement the ability, add the statement and see how many folk ignore it. If the statement is enough, cool beans.. if not, the ability gets removed.. speculation is all well and good, but until you actually implement something, you have no clue if it will work or not. So I say try it and see what happens.

As for the egg issue, that's simple.. twins.. all the normal breeding results would apply.. refusals, no egg, no interest.. but if an egg would be produced, let there be two of them.. one going to each scroll involved.

6 minutes ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

This is one of those topics that I'm on the fence about. One hand, it would be nice for lineage and non-inbreeding purposes.. but on the other hand is the possible harrassment issue. A statement similar to the 'not accepting aid' line, might be enough.. but there's always going to be a self-centered idiot that thinks it doesn't apply to them. Given the option, I'd say implement the ability, add the statement and see how many folk ignore it. If the statement is enough, cool beans.. if not, the ability gets removed.. speculation is all well and good, but until you actually implement something, you have no clue if it will work or not. So I say try it and see what happens.

As for the egg issue, that's simple.. twins.. all the normal breeding results would apply.. refusals, no egg, no interest.. but if an egg would be produced, let there be two of them.. one going to each scroll involved.

I have to agree with this. Try it out for awhile, but if things get out of hand then revoke the ability. The twin idea is superb, too.

I think this feature would be immensely cool and could help those who don't necessarily have the dragons (CB rares come to mind) to continue or start special lineages. :) As long as everyone played nicely, I think it could work.

I'd much rather something be implemented to deter harassment before trying it to see how it works... We already know from experience that *many* users completely ignore the "no aid" message, or think it doesn't apply to them, or think the user simply doesn't understand what the message means, etc etc. That already is an issue. So I don't think that a simple message like that is going to do much good here. I'd like something like... I don't know the details of how this suggestion would be implemented, but there should be an account setting turning off the ability to breed between scrolls, and no one could contact you in-game to breed with them (if there is communication in-game for this), and it should be against the rules to PM someone about it on the forums if they have the ability turned off. Perhaps if someone has it turned off at the moment but puts in their sig they are open to certain types of polite requests, that would be okay. But I do *not* want to be getting PMs from people asking me to breed with their dragons, and a simple no-aid type message is not going to deter that at all, since it doesn't really deter anything now.

What Marie said. We already know that not accepting aid has very little effect at all (though if the message showed on the main scroll page, that MIGHT change; as things stand you have to look at an individual egg/hatchie to know the player's preference and MANY people don't think - or even know, if they are new - to do that. IF this happens, it needs to show ON SCROLL.

Okay, so if this an in-game feature including communication, maybe it could be possible to turn off the ability to receive requests? Because I have to agree with what was stated above about a not accepting aid type message not doing much. And yes, it may help new players, but that doesn't mean I want to breed my CB Golds with someone else's dragon every week. Nor do CB Holly or CB Prize or spriter alt (etc.) owners. That's an extreme example, but it could happen.

I'm neutral on this suggestion. If it does become part of the game, I would like an option to somehow turn off the feature.

Edited by The Dragoness

If it is implemented in a way similar to 2-way teleports, there is no reason it should lead to more harassment than the trading feature does.

You'd create a "breed with my dragon" link, send (PM, email, chat...) that link to the person whose dragon you'd like to breed with, they "offer" their dragon on the link, you'd see the offer (to make sure it is the mate you wanted) and click "breed now" to do the actual breeding.*

Sending such a "breed with my dragon" link to a person who is not interested at all in breeding their dragon with yours makes just as little sense as sending a random 2-way to a Prize owner asking them to offer a 2nd gen Prize on your teleport. I don't know if people do that, but if they do, I'm quite sure it is against the forum rules and can be dealt with. You'd be blocked and get warnings from mods, and obviously you wouldn't get what you wanted this way. Instead, there could be a subforum dedicated to finding people who have the dragon mate you need and who are actually interested in breeding it.

Of course things are different if inter-scroll-breeding is implemented completely in the game without the forums being involved. Then an "accept breeding requests" switch should not just display a message, but simply make it impossible to send a breeding request to that user. In that case it wouldn't even matter if people read and understand it or not.

* What happens to the egg is another question but irrelevant for the harassment issue. (I'd imagine there would be an additional switch for the breeding that determines who gets the egg. The user who creates the teleport would set it, and the other user sees it but can't change it.)

On 11/11/2017 at 3:32 PM, Marie19R said:

This has been suggested many times in the past: here and here for example.

This would be very interesting for some people, and would certainly help with certain lineages. However there is a big issue of how it would be implemented so that people aren't harassed to breed with others, because not everyone is going to want their dragons to breed with other user's dragons. There would have to be some way to show that you don't want your dragon breeding with others, that you do not want to be contacted about it, etc.

If it were a BSA, did you have a dragon in mind for that?

well i would suggest to put the BSA on magi dragon? 

On 11/11/2017 at 9:03 PM, olympe said:

Not to forget, we'd need a system to determine who gets the resulting egg - if there is an egg to begin with. 

Frankly, I'm not a fan of this.

ETA. I'd also like to suggest that you find a different title for your thread. To me, "crossbreeding" implies breeding between different kinds of dragons (which is already possible) or hybridization (which, in some rare cases, is also possible). Your suggestion, however, is more about breeding between different scrolls.

well i was thinking bout that... what aboout out scroll breeding? 

1 hour ago, Confused Cat said:

If it is implemented in a way similar to 2-way teleports, there is no reason it should lead to more harassment than the trading feature does.

You'd create a "breed with my dragon" link, send (PM, email, chat...) that link to the person whose dragon you'd like to breed with, they "offer" their dragon on the link, you'd see the offer (to make sure it is the mate you wanted) and click "breed now" to do the actual breeding.*

Sending such a "breed with my dragon" link to a person who is not interested at all in breeding their dragon with yours makes just as little sense as sending a random 2-way to a Prize owner asking them to offer a 2nd gen Prize on your teleport. I don't know if people do that, but if they do, I'm quite sure it is against the forum rules and can be dealt with. You'd be blocked and get warnings from mods, and obviously you wouldn't get what you wanted this way. Instead, there could be a subforum dedicated to finding people who have the dragon mate you need and who are actually interested in breeding it.

Of course things are different if inter-scroll-breeding is implemented completely in the game without the forums being involved. Then an "accept breeding requests" switch should not just display a message, but simply make it impossible to send a breeding request to that user. In that case it wouldn't even matter if people read and understand it or not.

* What happens to the egg is another question but irrelevant for the harassment issue. (I'd imagine there would be an additional switch for the breeding that determines who gets the egg. The user who creates the teleport would set it, and the other user sees it but can't change it.)

yes this is a good idea actually ... this solves most part of the problem :) 

20 minutes ago, policestation said:

well i would suggest to put the BSA on magi dragon? 

That won't happen. WE NEVER get a dragon with more than one BSA.

11 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

That won't happen. WE NEVER get a dragon with more than one BSA.

We don't know that. Just because we haven't doesn't mean we can't.

As in the change to purples that result in a two-effect BSA on them where not only is the chance of an egg increased but refusals lowered, it's possible that magi could make both egg/hatchling teleports and breed exchange "teleports". Makes sense to me.

On 11/11/2017 at 12:21 PM, fuzzbucket said:

What Marie said. We already know that not accepting aid has very little effect at all (though if the message showed on the main scroll page, that MIGHT change; as things stand you have to look at an individual egg/hatchie to know the player's preference and MANY people don't think - or even know, if they are new - to do that. IF this happens, it needs to show ON SCROLL.

This would be something on the hatchery's end, but I always thought hatcheries should require you to register an account and only let you add from a scroll linked to that account. Of course this wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, but it would help.

As far as breeding user to user, I'd be for it, but I'm one of the people who would breed on request for people and expect nothing in return.

It could become a Group feature, I imagine - make it a possible option to check when making/editing the group (make sure it's Public/Highlighted), and add a link to see all your requests in the main Group hub. I'm a bit indifferent towards this request in general, but I think this'd be a way it could be implemented without risk of harassment. 

37 minutes ago, policestation said:

well i would suggest moon stone dragon to have the BSA ... what do you think? https://dragcave.net/view/SZldt

Why Moonstones? I can see how Magis have a connection to this suggestion, and maybe Purples or Pinks, but I don't understand this one. Slapping a BSA on a random dragon doesn't really work.

Edited by The Dragoness

I'd title the thread inter-scroll breeding.

41 minutes ago, Fiona said:

We don't know that. Just because we haven't doesn't mean we can't.

As in the change to purples that result in a two-effect BSA on them where not only is the chance of an egg increased but refusals lowered, it's possible that magi could make both egg/hatchling teleports and breed exchange "teleports". Makes sense to me.

Fair enough.

27 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

This would be something on the hatchery's end, but I always thought hatcheries should require you to register an account and only let you add from a scroll linked to that account. Of course this wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, but it would help.

Thing is you can easily add things to sigs and all sorts. So from the point of view of bombing, it would make no difference at all (heck I spam-refreshed an egg just today when I wanted it to hatch. NO hatchery required XD )

Edited by fuzzbucket

1 minute ago, fuzzbucket said:

Thing is you can easily add things to sigs and all sorts. So from the point of view of bombing, it would make no difference at all (heck I spam-refreshed an egg just today when I wanted it to hatch. NO hatchery required :D)

Don't views equal out at a certain ratio to unique views though? (I thought it was 15:1 but I could be wrong). So it would take more than one person I think to kill something.
Forums, I guess fair point, but all the forums I was ever a part of are dead now (or they're serebii and have a harsh limit on how many things you can have in your sig).

4 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Don't views equal out at a certain ratio to unique views though? (I thought it was 15:1 but I could be wrong). So it would take more than one person I think to kill something.
Forums, I guess fair point, but all the forums I was ever a part of are dead now (or they're serebii and have a harsh limit on how many things you can have in your sig).

Sadly, from what I understand there are forums that are set up with evil intent to do just this sort of thing.

But I think we are getting a bit off topic.

I am pretty indifferent to this suggestion. I don't think that I would use it. But if it is set up so it is optional and requests can be blocked, then I would not object if others wish to have it.

I don't see any reason for the Moonstone to have this power, but if you can explain it so it makes sense, not just because you like that dragon, then go for it.

I agree with Fuzz that the title of the thread should still be changed. Get rid of the cross-breeding term entirely and just title it something like breeding between scrolls or even cross-scroll breeding.

I'd be in favour of the suggestion in one of two ways:

1. It works like a 2-way Teleport, where you create a link with a dragons and the other person 'offers' a mate.

2. An inter-scroll system on the main site, where you choose a dragon and type in a scroll name to send the request to. (would show 'this user does not exist', 'this user is not currently accepting requests', or 'your request has been sent' depending on the result.) Once the request has been sent and received it would work like the teleport option.

A way to use either option could be nice too, to send the link to a specific participating scroll or create a general link.

You should be able to view and offer on requests whether your scroll has opted in to the requests or not, as an easy way to make exceptions.

As for the eggs, I've heard a few reasonably good suggestions:

- Always breed two eggs, of the same breed, with halved chances of an egg. (would support with 3/4 chance but not normal.) Would not allow breeding to occur if partner is egg- or scroll-locked. (you can take your risk and make your mistake yourself, but not for other people.) Ability for requester to accept breeding request but allow offerer to initiate breeding if they are scroll-locked when the offer is accepted.

- Some way to choose who the one bred egg goes to. (Would have to be selected before the breeding begins, or perhaps a 5-hour period after the breeding before it is automatically dumped to the AP.)

- Each user checks a box: 'I would like an egg' or 'I would not like an egg'. If both users select no egg, or one selects egg and the other no egg, then one egg is generated at normal rates and it is either sent to the appropriate scroll (egg-lock rules above applying) or dumped to the AP. If both select to have an egg, then the first option above.

Whatever was implemented, it would have to be with a good warning of impending tweaks to the system.

This is my opinion, just my opinion.

I am against this. In part because at heart Dragon Cave is a solitary game. You have your own scroll, you have your own scroll goals, etc. Partly because so many players aren't on the forums. To me this idea seems invasive.

I oppose interscroll interactions.

We have the forums and when someone wants to interact with another player, they use the forums to trade, converse, or whatever. The game and our scrolls are separate from that, and I think it should stay that way.

I don't mind being asked to breed. I love giving eggs to others, but I would object to being approached for my dragons to breed with other people's dragons.

How would this work with Celestials? They can produce multiple eggs of up to two different breeds. Would each person participsting suddenly become egg locked and have to choose which egg to keep?