Shadowdrake

Lyrical Lineages Guide and Database

Click here to go directly to the database!

This thread is not a group project, but for displaying your own lineages that fit the criteria of a basic Lyrical Lineage, discussing them, and getting help with planning or finishing them. In a way, it is like an offshoot of the Personal Lineage Project thread but specialized in a certain kind of lineage, similar to the Even Gen Breeding thread.

Intro:

What is a Lyrical Lineage?

Unlike most other lineages, a Lyrical Lineage is called this because of the naming scheme of all the dragons in your lineage instead of breed or shape of the lineage. This example has dragon names made entirely out of song lyrics from Hallelujah, although it does not have most of the chorus in between, which is fine because the lyrics themselves are recognizable and in an understandable order.

The name Lyrical Lineage isn't official: the dragon names don't have to actually be from a song to count, and you can call these whatever you like.

For the most part these are all personal projects because naming must be closely coordinated, but it's not a hard rule.

What kind of lineages can make a Lyrical Lineage?

Any kind! Even gens are a very common shape, but there have been stairs, spirals, irregular shapes, and even heart shapes are possible (although I have not personally seen one yet). Breed-wise, there are many checker lineages, although purebreds and patterns are also common. Making a lineage out of non-regular breeds like drakes, 2-headed or pygmies are also fine. Inbreeding is a little unusual, but if you think it works with your lineage, go ahead. None of these fancy shapes or breed patterns are necessary, of course. As long as you have a set of names all from the same work (song, poem, etc) in the same lineage in a cohesive order, it counts. Most Lyrical Lineages don't have any extra non-lyric dragons, but there are a few exceptions, mainly breed-only dragons like hybrids or holiday breeds. Deadlines or zombies are also an option, but be careful naming a dragon you plan to kill because if it dies (and doesn't get revived or zombified) the name will be permanently on the dead dragon and not on your scroll.

Unlike most lineage projects, Lyrics are usually a solo project because the maker has to control all the dragon names. So, it's usually CBs that get collected to start the lineage with, because integrating other ready-bred dragons to advance faster isn't usually an option for Lyrics.

Lineages can be read right-to-left or left-to-right. Most I've seen are read right-to-left, from CB side to offspring.

What can I use for naming?

Poems, songs, quotes, parts of scripts, or anything else that involves enough words that you can make a coherent lineage out of. Again, as long as most or all of the lineage is from the same work, it counts as a Lyrical Lineage. Also, they don't have to be in English but not very people will understand it :v

How do I make one?

See the next post for a more in-depth guide of what to plan when you want to make a Lyrical Lineage.

Can I use a song/poem that someone else has done?

You can, but I don't recommend it. If you do want to go ahead and do it, you'll have to add spaces, cut off your lines differently, add some extra flair, or use different parts to work around the limit of unique names. Don't just use the same thing because you like how their lineage came out, and especially don't copy someone else's lineage ideas: their breeds and configuration are their idea. The only thing you should share is the original work the lyrics came from.

But I don't have any ideas!

There are currently over 200 breeds of dragons on DC, and infinite lineage possibilities. The Dragon Cave Wiki has a page with most breed adult sprites, and FortyTwo's lineage builder or StarSea's lineage builder are very helpful for planning and previewing. If you don't know what your lyrics will be but you want to make something, just think about songs, movies, games, books, etc that you like. If you need more specific help, feel free to PM me or ask in the thread itself.

Can I post my lyric lineages here?

Certainly! That's what the thread is for :)

Edited by Shadowdrake

Building a Lyrical Lineage

To start with, you need a song, poem or quote to base the lineage off of. How much of it you're actually doing is up to you. You can decide to pick a lineage pattern that you like first, but it's harder to choose your dragons first then try to pick something that fits your breeding plans. Of course, you can also just pick your song/poem or breed whatever you like without the dragons having to be related to your lyrics of choice.

After you have a song/poem in mind, you decide what you want your lineage to look like and which lyrics you're keeping if you have to cut some out. Different lineage shapes and generations will have different amounts of lyrics you can fit on them. Technically there is no limit to size on a lineage, but Dragon Cave's lineage viewer cuts off lineages at 12 generations, so any longer lineage will have the older generations not visible. 

• Gen 19 example. Notice that gen 1-7 is missing, but can be seen if the lower-gen ancestors' lineage is checked instead.

Additionally, past gen 4 the older gens get shrunk in lineage view, so keep that in mind if you don't like how it looks. 

Planning the Lyrics

A dragon name has a limit of 32 characters including spaces. You can use letters, numbers, spaces, dashes (-) and apostrophes ('). Periods and commas aren't allowed. This means you have to get a little creative when they show up in your lyrics.

Usually, I ignore commas unless the break is very noticeable, in which case I add a dash. I try to break lines either at a period or at the end of a lyric, but if I can't I go ahead and use either double dashes or a dash between two spaces, depending on available space. I try to keep it consistent in a lineage. You don't have to follow my conventions, of course. It's your lineage, do what looks good for you.

Because names are limited to 32 characters, sometimes you'll have lyrics longer than the limit. You'll have to split them into two lines or more. Names also have to be unique, so if someone's taken a line or portion of yours or has already done their own lyrics, you'll have to work around the limits. You can add spaces, insert dashes, change breaks, or change lowercase L (l) to uppercase i (I) and vice versa.

Some people reserve their planned lyrics on spare dragons they have while planning. It's not a bad idea as it keeps them from being taken while you're working, but you do have to go back and rename/unname all of them, plus name the dragons that are actually in the lineage. If it's a popular work and/or you don't mind the hassle, it can be helpful to grab the lyrics beforehand.

Helpful Tools

For keeping track of what you've bred, what you're naming your dragons and which should be bred with what, a spreadsheet program such as Google Sheets or Excel can be quite helpful, especially when your lineage is something more complicated than a two-breed checker. (Example)

For breed and dragon ideas, the Dragon Cave Wiki has a page with most breed adult sprites, and FortyTwo's lineage builder or StarSea's lineage builder are very helpful for actually seeing what your ideas look like.

For counting characters and lines, Text Mechanic is a word-count and line-count tool with a setting for monospace font (makes all characters the same width) to also allow character checking without needing to go line-by-line.

Suggested setup:

image.thumb.png.4f5cfba01a63c33be1ec4964ff52bf63.png

(32 character count)

Windows Notepad is a simple and helpful offline alternative. Change the font to Courier or another monospace font, turn on Word Wrap, and shrink the window to 32 characters. It will display exactly where lines get cut off in names.

Suggested setup:

image.png.7e67272c5ac42e8f9ba7a4e133be5bf0.png

Alternatively, as Daydreamer09 pointed out, spreadsheets like Excel and Google Sheets have their own functions to count characters so you won't have to move back and forth between several tools. If you type =LEN() into a cell and put the row and column info into the parenthesis, it counts the character of the defined cell. So, for example,  =LEN(A1)  will tell you how many characters are in the cell in column A, row 1.

DC Forums also has a notepad in the Edit Profile area where you can use to take notes or save lyrics as needed, not to mention save any info necessary for playing DC as well.

12345678901234567890123456789012   <- 32 characters in Courier font. Use as guide

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog   <- too long

The quick brown fox jumped   <- 26 characters

over the lazy dog   <- 17 characters

Even Generations

The maximum before cut off, a 12th gen, requires 2048 CBs and can have 4095 lines on it, or 131040 characters maximum. To put this in perspective, the script of the entire Bee Movie can fit into an 11th even gen. It won't look pretty, but it'll fit. Even gens are the most common shape of lyric lineages because they're easily readable and can hold many lines without getting any cut off.

Counts and examples:

gen 1: 1 CB, 1 line total

gen 2: 2 CBs, 3 lines total

gen 3: 4 CBs, 7 lines total

gen 4: 8 CBs, 15 lines total

gen 5: 16 CBs, 31 lines total

gen 6: 32 CBs, 63 lines total

gen 7: 64 CBs, 127 lines total

gen 8: 128 CBs, 255 lines total

gen 9: 256 CBs, 511 lines total

gen 10: 512 CBs, 1023 lines total

gen 11: 1024 CBs, 2047 lines total

gen 12: 2048 CBs, 4095 lines total

Stairs and Spirals

Stairs and spirals are fairly similar when it comes to lyrics. Neither can be very long without getting cut off, and both can have 2 lines per gen. The final generation is included in the 12-gen count, so my recommended maximum is 11 generations of lyrics, plus a final single 12th gen if needed. Thus, 11*2+1=23 lines. You don't have to stop there, of course, but if you want to do a larger work and be able to see all of your work without clicking on older generations, you might want to choose a different lineage format.

Uncategorized lineage

Sometimes you have a long work, but you can't figure out how to get it up or down to a proper number for even-gens, and it's hovering between two of them. You could add some extra text to your lineage somewhere to fill it out, or you could draw up a lineage idea of your own. You could also just make something new because you want it to look nicer, or want something you find more appealing than even-gens or stairs.

There are many different options: combining two or more stairs together, making a heart or circle shape, doing most of an even-gen but without corners, or some other odd shape that's completely unique and looks like nothing else on DC. With the lineage planner I linked earlier, you can make a custom-sized lineage to fit your plans.

More to add? Suggest them to me!

Edited by Shadowdrake

Completed Lineage Database

Aie

Akirameta

Alisyn

Amberheart04

Anneith

Aqub

Arcy

AmaNoGawa

Aynessa

azurewingsofwind

BigWolf643

BlueCanary1

BringsTheSnow

BrownWolf

Caelest

Catstaff

Chaosdawn

CharolineSw

Chaos Rider

Cheesecake__

Chouette

Coheart

Crystals

Daydreamer09

Deinosaur

DirtyTabs

Distorted_Flare

Dizzywing

Drachenbraut

Dragongirl141998

Egwenna

Falorni

*creator requests you don't kill/neglect the offspring and name them somewhat appropriately due to the heavy context to the original work (dementia)

Fetus

Flaviel

Foxpaw

Furudead

Fyrebird

gallopinthunder

Gravity

Guillotine

Guppies27

Haki

heyninja

heibangbls

Ilune Willowlef

Imago

Infinis

jengatower

Jumpsnake

Kakaru_of_DOOM

KakashiMorph

Kelkelen

LadyMadonna

Lanette

lexi_

Library_gremlin

lovecats99

Loveybear

Lucere

Lunaflare

*open for requests but would prefer them to be frozen

MaeTM

Miaou

Miaplacidus

Mnkn10

Moiken

moonXVIII

Moorhen-Nest

Moriaty

Mow

Nagapie

Nandeenah

Naughtrish

NightEagle

Nimras

Ninish

Nullcasting

Nyka

OMGitsKairi 

OutlawQueen

Peachycupcake525

Puredark006

Printemps

Purplehaze

Rememberdrgns

RottenLegacy

Sakana

Scalesofgrey

Seahorse

Shadowdrake

SharonLilly

SilverSimplicity

Silvynx

Sinsdaemn

Skellybones

Sketch

Snakehands

Sparta

• Samo je jedno (link currently broken)

StarSea

stikystuff

Sundew

SuperstarSnivkins

Teez

thisaugustday

Tigrewulf

*will not breed on request, but may breed to ap

Tinibree

Toyo

• many! (linked group of lyric lines)

Unishaamani

UnlimitedSynth

Urka72

V1227

water_angel

wheeloftime13

Wiz

WorldofValdis

Show off your work!

Forum name

Lineages you made

Add to front page? 

Will you breed siblings for others if requested? 

--you can decline to breed specific lineages or any of them

Example

Spoiler

Forum name: Shadowdrake

Lineages you made:

Add to front page for display? Yes

Will you breed siblings for others if requested? Yes or Yes to any except Fallen Kingdom or No

Add a lineage!

Forum name

New lineage

Notes: *if you don't want it added, only bred at certain times, etc

If you plan to change a link please make a new post and @ me if you do.

Example

Spoiler

Forum name: Shadowdrake

New lineage:

Notes:

Still a work in progress? (will not be added to front post, but can be used as a personal progress checker and may even get you help with CBs. All parts of the form are optional, you don't have to add any info you don't want to add.)

Forum name

Song or work

Current generation/progress

CBs/Breeds still needed:

*if you want to show a group for others to see, make sure it's Public instead of Private.

Example

Spoiler

Forum name: Shadowdrake

Song or work: --

Current generation/progress: working on CBs and gen 2

CBs/Breeds still needed: monarchs

Group: https://dragcave.net/group/28197

Forum name: Shadowdrake

Song or work: Can't Wait to be King

Current generation/progress: --

CBs/Breeds still needed: --

Note: Showing off pretty lineages you found is fine, but please do not post someone else's lineage for archival unless you have their explicit permission to post for them, and especially don't take credit for a lineage that isn't your work.

Edited by Shadowdrake

Topic open. If anyone has questions or info/ideas I should add, feel free to suggest in thread.

Edited by Shadowdrake

I love that there's a thread dedicated specifically to lyric lineages now. Good idea. Here's what I'm working on right now

Song or work: Leaving Eden by Antimatter

Current generation/progress: Breeding 2G

Song or work: Across the Folded Line by Alleageon

Current generation/progress: Collecting CBs

Edited by Mnkn10

OMG YES

Even tho I randomly name dragons and aligns them together to make song lyrics, gonna make a proper one now.

Forum name: RainbowTheAlbinoServal

Song or work: Notice Me Senpai

Current generation/progress: Just starting

CBs/Breeds still needed: Albinos.

Edited by RainbowTheAlbinoServal

Yey!

Forum name: MaeTM

Song or work: Shiny

Current generation/progress: Bred 4Gs, only last derg missing <3

CBs/Breeds still needed: //

Edited by MaeTM

Forum name: Dirtytabs

Lineages you made

Poetry by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz

Cookie Cat theme song

How to sing "Kiss from a Rose"

How to sing "We Built This City"

Emperor Norton's alleged decree

The "Wonderbolts national anthem"

"Star-Spangled Banner" 'Murica

Add to front page? Sure

Will you breed siblings for others if requested? Yep

Edited by Dirtytabs

Forum name: miaou

Lineages you made:

Add to front page for display? Yes please

Will you breed siblings for others if requested? Yes, of course

with the new pygmies that have come out since i did this, there's such a temptation to do it over -- but this is a tribute lineage to a pet that meant a lot, and all the cbs were caught on the day he passed. <3

also i'm super excited to have a thread for these types of lineages, because there are so many amazing ones out there!

Edited by miaou

Perfect! 

I love "in sovjet russia tetris plays you" 😂

I don't know if i shall add my Sonnet lineage, for its already in the Shakespeare thread 🤔 but i will breed Siblings on request!

Forum name: Mow

Lineages you made:

- Shakespeare's Sonnet No 109

the tragic romanze of Abelard & Heloise

Add to front page for display? Yes

Will you breed siblings for others if requested? Yes

Song or work: The Chandrian Song (out of 'The Kingkiller Chronicles')

Current generarion/progress: breeding 2g, for Lunar Heralds its not so easy 😂

CBs/Breeds still needed: none

Edited by Mow
and yes, i like blue a lot 🙈

Forum name: Daydreamer09

Lineages you made

Ten Minutes Ago (Cinderella Waltz)

For the Dancing and the Dreaming

The Broken Road

Song of Loreley

The Hanging Tree

Just Around the Riverbend

Because we can

Be a Man

Fireflies

Stable Song

Bright

Born to Fly

Desert Lullaby

Heaven's Light

Fields of Gold

Burning House

I Run to You

Some Nights

Nothing Ever Happens

Add to front page? Yes

I just realized I have a ton of lyric lineages. Too many probably.

Oh! And I thought I should mention this handy little thing that I use for counting characters in spreadsheets like in google docs, excel, open office calc when working out my lineages.

If you type =LEN() into a cell and put the row and column info into the parenthesis, it counts the character of the defined cell.

So, for example,  =LEN(A1)  will tell you how many characters are in the cell in column A, row 1.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Forum name:  catstaff

Lineages you madeThe Sailorman's Hymn
                                  Sally's Song

Sonnet I

Sonnet VIII

Sonnet XII

Sonnet XIV

Sonnet XXI

Sonnet XXV

Sonnet LX

Add to front page?  Sure!

Will you breed siblings for others if requested?  Absolutely!

Edited by catstaff
added a missing link

Forum name:  Dragonaxew

Song or work:  Havana - Written by Camila Cabello

Current generation/progress:  Gen 1, collecting CBs

CBs/Breeds still needed:  Red Nebulas and Male Sunsets

I have been wanting to do this for a long time, but you all have really inspired me. :)

Forum name:  purplehaze

Song or work:  Ballad of East and West (only a small part of it - my sister and I used to have the whole thing memorized!)

Current generation/progress:  Gen 1 complete

CBs/Breeds still needed:  Horse dragons/stair lineage

I also have another one that I want to do, but have not even begun, with Candelabras -- Go Light Your World, by Chris Rice. It will take an EG 6th gen for that one.

And, just finished another!

Forum name:  catstaff

New lineageWhite Rabbit

Kinda wanna try this as I'm starting lineages pretty soon.  Anybody know what songs would be considered not ok though?  I usually listen to music which is pretty angry in nature and some songs about... murder and other violent things.... and uh... yeah.  It's mainly in Japanese, if that's any consolation to those who are overly concerened about my sanity... 

Ex: Itai atashi ashita aitai (my favorite song)

God syndrome (based off a creepypasta)

Secrets of wysteria (its about Albert Fish, so its probably not a great idea...)

That happy child (its about greek mythos.  Specifically about Kronos/Chronus and his umm... search it up.  Or read the comments on the video)

iNSaNiTY (Its great, but sock asked me to change the name of my request to hallucination dragon because they were uncomfortable with this. I'd probably also do all the other songs in the series while I'm at it)

Pure evil (it contains a swear, one with four letters and an f)

Hyde and Jekyll (partly based on the story, except the role(s?) are played by females in the song and it *might* be somewhat sexual in nature?  or maybe its just the PV.)

Love love nightmare (not technically very graphic, but the ??? parts are actually cannibalism.  Its about the singer eating the guys eyes, then his ears, and then laughing.)

(others removed by op request)

Oh wait, that's why my sanity is sometimes questioned.  Huh.

Edited by Draconiusultamius

@Draconiusultamius As DC is a pg-13 site and has an international player base, I think you should avoid 18+ stuff, even in non-english lyrics. If you want you can ask a mod to be sure, but I wouldn't go starting a project and plan to have them, especially because if the names are considered inappropriate your dragons can be killed and your naming privileges revoked. You might be able to work with the songs if you leave out the worse sections or just go with a couple of milder stanzas, but again I'd ask a mod to be sure. I'd personally avoid any sexual references, graphic violence, and probably irl murderer (and worse) stuff.

You can replace swears with regular non-swear words, like "utter" in replace of the one in Pure Evil, although to be frank, I'm not sure if several of your songs can be considered appropriate at all.

Honestly That Happy Child seems like one of the tamer ones in your repertoire, being based off mythology and without anything graphic in the actual lyrics. Considering we have vamps, zombies and other Halloween dragons, a vague reference to Cronos's deeds isn't as bad as it could get. God Syndrome's lyrics seem violent, not as bad as some of the other ones but still bordering the edge with how vehement it gets. Likewise with Pure Evil's vicious language. Not obviously bad, but not something I'd be comfortable doing on DC. Most of the other ones? eeeehh...

Edit: (Also, please remove the links to the 18+ ones at least. Don't want to get in trouble.)

Edited by Shadowdrake

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

@Draconiusultamius As DC is a pg-13 site and has an international player base, I think you should avoid 18+ stuff, even in non-english lyrics. If you want you can ask a mod to be sure, but I wouldn't go starting a project and plan to have them, especially because if the names are considered inappropriate your dragons can be killed and your naming privileges revoked. You might be able to work with the songs if you leave out the worse sections or just go with a couple of milder stanzas, but again I'd ask a mod to be sure. I'd personally avoid any sexual references, graphic violence, and probably irl murderer (and worse) stuff.

You can replace swears with regular non-swear words, like "utter" in replace of the one in Pure Evil, although to be frank, I'm not sure if several of your songs can be considered appropriate at all.

Honestly That Happy Child seems like one of the tamer ones in your repertoire, being based off mythology and without anything graphic in the actual lyrics. Considering we have vamps, zombies and other Halloween dragons, a vague reference to Cronos's deeds isn't as bad as it could get. God Syndrome's lyrics seem violent, not as bad as some of the other ones but still bordering the edge with how vehement it gets. Likewise with Pure Evil's vicious language. Not obviously bad, but not something I'd be comfortable doing on DC. Most of the other ones? eeeehh...

Edit: (Also, please remove the links to the 18+ ones at least. Don't want to get in trouble.)

Idk, some of the songs don't have "tame" parts as the tame parts are they are about one line long lol

Imo, the first one would probs be fine since its legit super obscure.  I mean, I have a dragon named after the title and I'm almost 99% certain that there might be around one other person on this site that know about that song anyways... Also, I really like it, enough to kinda break the rules...

I just finished one! :)

Forum name:  Seahorse

Lineages you madeAlicia Online Prologue

Add to front page?  Sure

Will you breed siblings for others if requested?  Of course!

And I'm currently working on a 5G lyrical lineage, hopefully will be finished just after christmas!

Oh boy I didn't realise this existed

Forum name: Skellybones

Lineages you made

Add to front page? Sure

Song or work: Unravel

Current generation/progress: 5th (so close ;-;)

CBs/Breeds still needed: N/A

Song or work: Winter Bird

Current generation/progress: Gathering CBs

CBs/Breeds still needed: Male Seasonal Winters

Forum name:  StarSea

(Added the Group section for easier tracking/viewing ;w;)

Song or work:  A Visit from St. Nicholas

Current generation/progress:  Collecting 2nd gens

CBs/Breeds still needed:  2nd gen red Fire Gems from Christmas 2016 (Snow) x green Fire Gems

Grouphttps://dragcave.net/group/38446

Song or work:  I'll Follow You Into the Dark

Current generation/progress:  Breeding! \o/ Have one 4th gen already and... the other three starting pairs aren't giving me eggs...

Grouphttps://dragcave.net/group/40229

unknown.png

Edited by StarSea