demonicvampiregirl

ANSWERED:Avatar Missing

I had a default avatar that was the stripes rotating through their various colors. It randomly disappeared one day, is there a way to get these back or are they gone for forever? I loved having that avatar.

That avatar was one of the ones in the avatar gallery. The files for that recently disappeared, though, and it's not known why or if the current forums even support those kinds of icon galleries now. There is a thread over in Suggestions asking to bring it back in some form, though.

I THINK TJ said somewhere that rotating avatars no longer work.

46 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

I THINK TJ said somewhere that rotating avatars no longer work.

That was referring to specifying new ones from external sources, though. The old settings are still valid.

If you right-click where the OP's avatar should have been and select "view image info", you may see that it's still pointing to a place that the current forum software doesn't care about:

https://forums.dragcave.net/uploads/Dragon_Avatars/Striped_Dragons_by_Vicats.gif

(That's an animation, not a rotator)

Newly defined avatars are copied into a folder named according to the month you upload them in, e.g. mine:

https://forums.dragcave.net/uploads/monthly_2017_07/av-38969.thumb.png.c0209e2b6973debc0c529c6d36846a47.png

which means that, if you used to use an external image rotator, the forum software would only copy the *current* image it gets delivered to that folder, but not anything else that the rotator script *might* serve at another point in time.

edit: animated gifs are obviously possible. I just uploaded one ...

https://forums.dragcave.net/uploads/monthly_2017_11/0003.thumb.gif.3f245f60d2f5255435ae3ac4f4942f3a.gif

Edited by Ruby Eyes

5 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

That was referring to specifying new ones from external sources, though. The old settings are still valid.

As I recall, he said they would only work for people who already had them and hadn't edited.

Follow the link in my post there.

4 hours ago, fuzzbucket said:

As I recall, he said they would only work for people who already had them and hadn't edited.

That was ... exactly what I had said. Hadn't edited means, they still use their old settings.

I must be losing my touch of English language. :wacko:

6 hours ago, fuzzbucket said:

Follow the link in my post there.

Fuzz, you're misunderstanding.

Demi didn't use a rotating avatar, she used an animated .gif avatar that was from the default gallery. (i.e. The old pixeled dragon head icons, like the Canopy, Dark Myst Pygmy, Alt Black, Sweetlings, and many others.) She hasn't updated her avatar, so it's still trying to use the original file path. The files have disappeared, though. That is the problem.

Unfortunately, it's something that only TJ and/or the artists of those avatars can fix.

Edited by 11th

Awesome sauce.  However I don't see a way to view said avatar gallery if someone wants to change theirs.  Is that an option with the new software?

18 hours ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

I had a default avatar that was the stripes rotating through their various colors. It randomly disappeared one day, is there a way to get these back or are they gone for forever? I loved having that avatar.

Just get it back on from your files. Problem Solved.

4 hours ago, LadyLyzar said:

Awesome sauce.  However I don't see a way to view said avatar gallery if someone wants to change theirs.  Is that an option with the new software?

Unfortunately not. The avatar gallery feature was dropped from the software a while ago.

Drat, so that means my pretty tinsel one is gone forever?

So how can I retrieve the URL to my Canopy avatar now? I had switched to a new one after it disappeared, so it wasn't restored.

Maybe we could have the gallery as a forum topic where the available avatars are linked?

That would be nice as I also changed mine so I had one.  If it's not possible I may need to find something that fits my name better instead of a random filler pic.  /sigh

1 hour ago, Imago said:

So how can I retrieve the URL to my Canopy avatar now? I had switched to a new one after it disappeared, so it wasn't restored.

Maybe we could have the gallery as a forum topic where the available avatars are linked?

You could try the wayback machine ? and save from there... though I have yet to find any FORUM pages archived there....

@Imago

You just need to find someone with one of those avatars, view the URL, and change the file name... easier said than done with the icons that had alts or dimorphic versions.

Here are some of them. (Including Canopy.)

Spoiler

Black_Dragon_(Alt).gifCanopy_Dragon.gifDaydream_Dragon.gifSweetling.gifSweetling_(Alt).gifWhite_Dragon.gif

I tried to access the page where they are stored and I don't have PERMISSION - which is not to say it isn't there...

I had to download and upload it again, since my profile said that image URLs from the forum are not allowed, but now it's working. Thanks @11th!

Now to find someone still using the Tinsel....Thanks for the hint @11th!

<-*squees*  I had to upload the image to the hosting site I use, but it's back and it works!

Edited by prpldrgnfr

On 11/10/2017 at 11:41 PM, Cronamo said:

Just get it back on from your files. Problem Solved.

Mine was a default icon, therein lied the problem. Seems to be back though! Forgot to check back and reply. >_<