Leidarendi

Way to jump to dragon breed within scroll?

As the number of different dragon breeds grows, I'm finding it more difficult to remember which is which.  For example, If someone PMs me to breed one of my dragons with a "Khusa" mate, my first thought is, "What the heck is a Khusa?"

So then I have to go over to Dragon Cave Wiki to look up what a Khusa looks like, and then I go back to my scroll and wade through 12 pages of dragons trying to spot them.

Would it be possible to code into the top of our scrolls some sort of search feature so that if we type in "Khusa" or "Mutamore" or whatever, it will jump us straight to that particular dragon?  It was easy back when dragons were "gray", "black", "green", etc, but many of these new dragon breed names have no particular visual tie to the sprite, and so it is getting more difficult to keep them straight.

All ideas and input are welcome!

-Lei

If this is possible it would be so helpful! Its always a pain having to go through 10-20 pages trying to find the one with the species I'm looking for.

Not against this suggestion at all, but there are ways to find the breed relatively easy. We do have an encyclopedia on-site, after all, so if you go there you can see what a Khusa or whatever is, and then find them on your scroll. And we do have a temporary-sort 'by breed', so all you have to do there is use the drop-down on your scroll to sort by breed and then skip to a page that you think might have your K's. You might be off by a page or two unless you're very familiar with breed sort, but there's certainly no reason to have to wade through 12 pages.

10 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

And we do have a temporary-sort 'by breed', so all you have to do there is use the drop-down on your scroll to sort by breed and then skip to a page that you think might have your K's. You might be off by a page or two unless you're very familiar with breed sort, but there's certainly no reason to have to wade through 12 pages.

Admittedly 12 pages is pretty rare, although it has legitimately taken me that many to find dragons before. Usually its like 5-6 pages. My dragons are always sorted by breed but I have no idea what page certain breeds are on. Its impossible to keep track of because its always changing. I may think I know what page a breed is on but I'm always always wrong, unless they're right at the front or back. Its easily to know where "Gold" is in the alphabet but its not as easy for everyone to keep track of which page they're on on your scroll.

38 minutes ago, Bison said:

Admittedly 12 pages is pretty rare, although it has legitimately taken me that many to find dragons before. Usually its like 5-6 pages. My dragons are always sorted by breed but I have no idea what page certain breeds are on. Its impossible to keep track of because its always changing. I may think I know what page a breed is on but I'm always always wrong, unless they're right at the front or back. Its easily to know where "Gold" is in the alphabet but its not as easy for everyone to keep track of which page they're on on your scroll.

This. I've just come back after a couple of years of not really playing, there's a ton of new breeds I'm trying to get to know, and I mostly play on mobile, which only allows you to show 50 breeds per page - it has been a real pain trying to figure out what page any given breed is on, even with breed sort (which is my default sort). 

This suggestion being implemented would be very helpful.

I support this. With 63 pages of dragons and counting, it's not always easy for me to find the dragon I want (even with breed sort). 

I am all for this! Even though my dragons are sorted in a sort of custom modified breed sort it is still very hard to know the page where any particular breed might be found. It is not rare at all for me to have to load 6 or 7 pages before I find the right one. As new breeds are added and new dragons of old breeds are added to my scroll, the page for a particular breed will change. This suggestion would help immensely!

I certainly like this suggestion! With about 200 breeds and counting, I think this would be an excellent option, even it's if only on our personal page.

Thanks everyone for your input!  Time flies - it's amazing we have 200+ breeds now!

On 11/9/2017 at 3:55 PM, Marie19R said:

We do have an encyclopedia on-site, after all, so if you go there you can see what a Khusa or whatever is, and then find them on your scroll.

That does assume that you have an idea about what the Khusa looks like, or you want to hover over all the dragons to find their breed names.

With like, "Green" dragons, you at least know you're only gonna have to hover over green-ish dragons.

The on-site Encyclopedia is in alphabetical order, so you don't need to hover over all that many Dragons to track it down. That said, this suggestion seems fairly helpful. 

Bumping this thread.  I can't find the copper dragons on my scroll to save the life of me lol.  It would be great if there was a search feature at the top of our scroll so that I could just type "copper" and it would jump me straight to them.

Massive support a ft like this would be v useful

Edited by DarkEternity

Was just thinking about this today! Would love a feature like this, similar to the filter in the group feature.

I've set my account to show 500 dragons per page so I have 10 pages of dragons at the moment. I use the breed sort to make finding specific dragon breeds easy so I don't necessarily need this, but I sure as heck am not against it either! :D

On 11/9/2017 at 10:09 PM, Bison said:

You have no idea!

I use the Legacy Breed Sort (because Holidays are sorted together), and it took my ages to find my Zyumorphs. (Hint: They sort between Diamondwings and Dorsals for me.) Do you have any idea how many pages I had to go through to find them? (For me, they're on page 14/15 right now...) There are some other oddballs with that sorting system (GoN sorting as Lugia, Avatars as Lugiaavatar, Golden Wyvern as Gwyvern, Waters as Lightblue or Light Blue,  etc.), but at least they were mentioned on the Wiki and in other places back then. But I forget the darn Zyus every single time because I can't tell what they're sorting as in the first place. Right now, I'm going with "Dirty Cheaters" to jog my memory. XD

Anyway, long rant is long + full support.

Edited by olympe

I don't care, but for those as do. I support this. That said - the breed sort puts them alphabetically, and then you have them easily found. (I have 500 to a page, sorted the way i want them, and 15 pages, and it's never occurred to me that there was a problem.)

Bumping my old thread.  It was never closed or addressed by TJ and so hoping he'll stop in and be open to taking the idea and support into consideration, especially since we have so many dragons now.  Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

I'm fairly neutral on this one. The way I got around that problem was I made a different group for each breed. It does the same thing. I can just select the group for the breed I need. And to keep the breed groups all clustered together, I name the groups as "Breed - [Breed Name]. Its very helpful

But that is sooooo many groups!

It is. Thats not even counting the groups I put together for my projects, or types of lineages (like cbs, pretty lineages, purebreds, etc). I have a lot of groups. At least... 280-something last time I cared to count them. But my dragons are very organized and I've done much more tedious things for the sake of organization than this. Plus, now that its all set up, its not that much of a hassle. I add one or two groups a month for the new breeds, and thats it

I have mine set up so my scroll is organized by Breed Name, and I learned the pages, so if I click Page 4 I am in the middle of dragons whose name start with M and the page scrolls down to dragons whose names start with P. Though it would be cool to have a drop down menu like in the trading hub where if I scroll and hit say, my new favorite breed, Pargulus, it will bring all of them up for me.

Edited by ComatosedRoses

On the one hand - you can just name a member of each dragon species with its name (ex. ShorahNagi's Albino) and search your scroll with ctrl-f (find). While it may not be the first dragon in the 'group', it would at least put you with the right species.

On the other hand, a truely programmed search function would be amazing (especially if it's a drop down box to choose the breed that way. I can never spell some breeds right) and something that has my full support 

And when you add 80 or so more dragons to your scroll, as I just did with the birthday release, the pages will change. I have mine breed sorted, too, except for a few breeds that I always keep at the front, so that should work for me, too, but it doesn't because I am continually adding new dragons. Granted it doesn't change rapidly, but over the last year or so the page that my Splits start on has gone from page 30 to page 35. So for large and growing scrolls something else is needed.

If only I could search my whole scroll at once with ctrl-f!

Edited by purplehaze