AroaraAngelwolf

Guide to pet care: by a dragon

Dare poured her a cup of tea. "Oh no. No need to apologize for reacting as such. It is normal when a normal meets a magical like myself. Pardon me, allow me to explain. You see there's all sorts of magical creatures in the world and are often hidden in plain sight. Your lawyer for example is a good dwarf friend of mine. The grounds keeper is a nymph, and the maid is a type of forest sprite that have hooves and tails of various domestic animals. She's very efficient in cleaning and is remarkably fast. She paints her hooves like shoes to hide them. I am a Chinese dragon, and I'm not the only dragon in the world, however I am the only one known in this region. I've built this house with your ancestors and that trading company your family owns. All the money comes from my tears that become pearls. And a few pure gold strands of my hair. We call humans like you normal, for you either have a very small amount of magical capabilities or none whatsoever. Your father was a companion of mine. I only choose a select few of your family to see me and not always in the next generation. " He explained

Tami listened to everything that he said with interest after he had poured her some tea and she had started to drink it. "Oh I didn't know the maid and our lawyer were magical creatures but like you said they hide it well. I do have some abilities but they're not very big ones. I'm telepathic and I have a small control over earth," she said in reply after she had swallowed some gulps of tea so that she could talk.

"Really?" He tilted his head sniffing the air. "Ah, indeed you do. I can teach you to perfect those abilities if you'd allow me. My main elements are air and water, however I am well versed in the magic of earth. I had to create my den somehow.  Telepathy is not my forte, however I know many magicals, I'm sure I can locate a suitable teacher for you. My true name is Dareius Drago. You may call me Mr. Drago or Dare. " He said formally. "I am over a thousand years old, and have been in this area far before it was colonised by westerners. If you ever want anything, ask me. I'll gladly show you around or teach you the history of the area. "

"All of that sounds really good and I'd like to take you up on that offer. Thank you very much Dare," Tami said in reply with a smile before she drank some more of the tea that was in front of her. "This is also really good tea."

"Oh that's one of my favorites as well. How many other magical creatures are there around here? Also is there a way to trade an ability for another one?" Tami said and asked in reply to what Dare said and asked before taking another sip of her tea.

"Well, there's about one sixteenth of the population is magical creatures disguised as humans, however a large proportion of the trees and animals and waters are sprites, kitunes, water nymphs and other nature based magicals. As for trading a ability, well it all depends on the magical or the normal who has magic in them. Most abilities such as making fire or controlling water are channeled through tools to make it easier to control a element for smaller or weaker magicals these tools can be traded for others, often magic imbued by a sorceress or witch, maybe a wizard, nymphs and nyads can create things only belonging to their element. Dragons like me have no need to make these tools. Some collect them just because they are often beautifully designed and well crafted, others do so to sell for more valuable items that they fancy. 

As for a natural ability, such as your telekinesis, can not be traded. You see, each creature has a element they belong to. Fish, silkies, mermaids and other water dwelling creatures are of water. If they have magic, it will be affiliated with water in some way. Phoenix, kitsune, some western dragons, and creatures who thrive at volcanos or near a heat source are of fire. Moles, dwarves, burrowing animals, forest dwelling creatures, tree nymphs and trolls are earth. Some fairies, aure nymphs, harpies and birds are air. They can be one or two elements they could control that they are known for. My dragon species, the eastern dragons are born in water, live in rivers and control the weather. My two elements are air and water. Earth is my third strongest, and I have to concentrate hard to make fire or use a tool to do so. Fire is my weakness. I can heat water to remarkable levels, but I can't produce flames like my western kin. "

Tami listened to everything he said with fascination and interest while finishing drinking the tea in her cup. "Oh all of that is good to know including the bit of me not being able to trade my natural ability. I was just curious about that. How did I come across the ability to control earth if I don't have a tool to help me, though? As far as I know dad wasn't a magical creature or maybe he was and didn't tell me," she said and asked in reply before setting her cup down on the table.

"Your father was definitely normal. Your mother was hardly around when I was here. So perhaps she was some nature spirit.  You probably have a stronger connection with the flow of magic because of someone on your mother's side. " He said tilting his head. "I wouldn't be surprised, dragon friends have a aura about them that some magicals find appealing. "

Oh and that's interesting. I remember her being around for some of my birthdays growing up but it has been a little while since I've seen her. She was probably at the funeral but I don't remember seeing her when I was face timing my friend. I have seen a few of my family from her side of the family but it's also been awhile since I've seen them last. Like maybe a month at most," Tami said in reply to everything he said before pouring another cup of tea.

"Oh okay," Tami said in reply before drinking some more of her tea before setting it down again on the table. "So are there other magicals that work here that I know as a human or others you know that I don't that you can introduce me to? I'd like to know them better now that I know they exist," she said after a few minutes of just sipping her tea.

"That I can't do. I had to explain because you saw me, but the magical council will not allow you to walk around asking people about magicals. You will eventually meet others, but in due time. However those are the only magicals who work here and live here. So about that dragon story.. I'm sure there's a journal around here were he wrote his stories or our adventures. Not sure where he hid it. "  

“Oh okay. It could be hiding with the rest of the books on the bookshelf maybe in-between a couple of thick old books,” Tami said in reply to everything he said before getting up from the table and going over to the bookshelf to see if she could find the journal he mentioned. She started to look between some really thick books and found what he was talking about. “Is this it?” she asked as she held it up for him to see.

Edited by SkySong278

"He was very protective about it so I wouldn't know. I feel like prying if you read it to me, and I respected my friend's space. So I can leave when you read it. Keep that key safe. It leads to my den. Without it you'll just find a closet full of old coats. Feel free to visit, but knock first and take off your shoes in my den. My carpets are rare and I prefer them not being muddy.. " He stood up. "I'll take my leave. Good day."

“Oh and that sounds like my dad. I will and I’ll make sure to knock and take my shoes off before I enter. Bye and thanks for the tea. Would you like to come by for dinner later? I make a really good chicken pot pie if you’re interested,” Tami said in reply and asked in case he wanted to be in her company again.

"Ah, I will do just that then. I'll be around.. let's say.. six sharp?" He asked looking at the clock and cleaning the tea up. He bowed to her. "And I bid you adieu Madame, enjoy your reading. " He said and left to the basement back to his own den. 

The journal told about dare and many adventures they had. Flying in the sky, going to a mermaid market under the Puget sound, seeing a magic shop castle made of clouds in the sky. He visited the lock Ness and seen the creature who lived there. He saw a dijin's castle in the Sahara desert, and even went to China to see another dragon. Each story was of some fantastic thing the two did, and each referred to Dareius as "my dearest pet". He'd often comment that dare obviously thought he was in charge "but a pet is a pet, and I have the best in show" wrote her late father. 

“Okay and sure. That sounds good and I will,” Tami said in reply to all that he said before going into the den and opening the journal to start reading some of the stories he had written there. Some of them made her wish she had been able to go with them because she would have liked to see a castle and have liked to go to a mermaid market. When she was younger, she liked mermaids as one of her favorite things and had even dressed up as one for Halloween one year.

Tami had continued reading the journal until three that afternoon and then got started on making the dinner while putting on some music to listen to as she did so. She got it all put together and got it in the oven by four before making some brownies for dessert. She had taken the pie out at five, put the brownies in after that, and had set the table with silverware and plates after unloading the dishwasher at five-thirty and was now straightening up everything when Dare came up from the basement. “Good to see you again and yes I did,” she said in reply to his greeting and question with a smile as she started to cut a piece of the pie for him and then one for her after she had put his piece on his plate and was now doing the same for hers.

"Wonderful! Any stories that stood out to you the most? My goodness, this smells lovely!" He said pulling out her chair like a gentleman, letting her sit down before he took a seat, he folded and placed the linen napkin on his lap neatly. "Is this a family recipe? I don't believe I ever seen or smelled such combinations in a pie before."

“There were two that stood out to me which were the ones about the mermaid market and the magic shop castle made of clouds,” Tami said in reply to his question before hearing the exclamation of the pie smelling wonderful. “Thank you,” she said as he pulled out her chair for her and also in regards to the pie. “No it’s not. I found the recipe for it in a cookbook we have and I’ve made it a few times. This is the first time I’m making it for company though,” she said in reply to his other question before starting to eat the piece that she had cut for herself.

"Ah, yes. The mermaid market it actually coming up in two weeks, and the magic shop was to get school supplies. If I had known you when you were younger, I would have sent you to the private school down the lane. They teach both magicals and normals from prominent families who are acquainted and aware of my kind. Often they do business with magical families, such as the dwarves working with Kay jewellers and nymphs with park rangers." He explained.

“Oh really? I’d like to go to that if I’m able to. I kind of remember seeing you around when I was younger but I just thought that you were a stranger and I think I was put in a normal elementary school near us. I would of liked to go to that private school but I guess dad didn’t know about it or he did but didn’t put me there. I don’t know. That’s interesting and makes sense,” Tami said in reply to everything he said before continuing to eat her piece of the Chicken Pot Pie. “How do you like it?” she asked curiously after having swallowed the bite that she had been eating.

"It is good, although my egg drop soup is divine. I will make it for you sometime. " He finished his meal and politely dabbed his napkin on the corners of his mouth. "Now, I'd like to show you my home. You only saw the entry way, not my actual living space. I'm certain you're curious about it."