Aries

ANSWERED:A question

Hi. Lately I noticed most of the players are asking for cave born or second generation dragons when they trade. I am in game for eight years and never actually payed attention what generation my dragons are.

So please, explain to me why is so important for most of you to have dragon second generation or with specific parents?

A lot of times people like to build interesting lineages with their bred dragons.  However, they may not have all the caveborn dragons they need to make it, so they rely on other players' caveborn or bred dragons to continue the lineage.

Eh... What is the point of this? Second or tenth generation, dragon is pretty able to produce an egg no matter how many time you breed it. I'm sorry but I don't understand all this.

Lineages. Some people are very focused on lineages in this game... Producing an egg isn't the point, making a "pretty" lineage is. There are many different types of lineages, like stairstep and even-gen and all sorts, and some people like the challenge of making nice-looking lineages with specific breeds. But in order to do that you either need some Cavebreds to start with, or bred dragons that already have that specific lineage so that you can continue it.

(Note that not everyone cares whatsoever about lineage! But a lot of people do.)

Example of a lineage someone might find pretty and want to continue: https://dragcave.net/lineage/7fNZ4

Edited by Marie19R

I think t is for people interested in breeding for liñeages...among wanting to have cave caught draggies! I bred a line and its in the DC lineage projects that nobody has ever done...but mostly,people start þheir own 'personal' lineages with ther 'members' for fun and breeding CB draggies would make a big difference.Go check out "breeding lieage projects"!

It comes down to rarity, aesthetics, and keeping my interest... and all three go hand in hand!

Let me explain that in more detail. I've been playing this game for more than 10 years. I've collected every sprite there is ten times over. Why? Because, well--barring a few very special breeds, like Neglecteds and Zombies, which HAVE to be made by you--it's extremely easy to trade for everything. You can say "hey, can someone please breed me a random Gold / Holly / Prize / insert any other dragon here???" and a dozen people on the forums will rush to give you one. So now you have ten Golds / Hollys / Prizes / insert any other dragon here... but were they actually hard to get? Do they FEEL rare? No, not really. 

In contrast, CBs and pretty lineages are rare and hard to come by. There are only a few CB Golds dropping in the cave each day, so getting one feels like a real triumph. There are only around 30 CB Holly owners still playing, so getting a nicely lined one is also a huge deal. Other people also want that satisfaction of achievement, so trading competition for these gems, when they're offered, is also intense--adding another level of thrill. And it pays you back, too--the offspring of pretty, valuable things are also worth more, so you can reinvest them to get MORE pretty things! :D Conversely, this shows why random lineages won't usually trade for CBs or pretty lines--they're much easier to get than CBs and pretty lines, and thus, it's not a great trade for whoever owns the latter.

Last but not least is a simple matter of aesthetics. Which of these looks prettier to you? https://dragcave.net/lineage/8ISU or https://dragcave.net/lineage/2xr7m ?

The former was made by me when I was a newbie. It's random looking. No real thought or effort went into its creation. In contrast, the second line is very nice to look at in my eyes, and took months of me carefully arranging and breeding dragons to produce. It feels much more rewarding to own something like that then something like the messy silver. On a related note, CBs are especially prized because they can be used to produce any array of lineages, whereas a lineaged dragon will always have whatever lineage it had starting out. I can use a CB Silver to create something like either lineage... but no amount of trying will let me get that second silver from breeding the first silver!

So you add all of the above things together, and lineages add a whole new level of depth and interest to the game. Without them, I'd have grown bored and quit years ago. If you're new (or just an older player who only cares about collecting pretty sprites), then hey, more power to you in doing what you enjoy! It's up to you how you play, I just hope now you see why some of us are lineage crazy. :P 

@Lady Artemis Hope your forum account wasn't hacked D:

Pretty sure the racism comment was a joke, guys.

Yeah, I'm another one who just likes making pretty lineages. But I can't even try to improve on @angelicdragonpuppy's eloquence on the subject, so I'll just nod and say, "Same."

Ok I have to say I feel pretty disturbed. It happens that all these years I was playing different game than most of people here. Here is how I see things - every dragon is unique and I like them all, that's why it's hard for me when I raise some of them and I have to trade it for another, or to abandon it. So I have tons of same dragons just because I don't want to abandon. And in fact what you guys doing is pretty strange. It's like buying pretty puppy from a nursery instead of addopt one from a shelter that actually needs a home the most and will die in a cage because nobody wants it.

I really thought this game is for collecting new breeds as much as possible. I actually never look at the lineage if I don't need to check how one dragon is created so I can breed similar as it's parents. After eight years of playing I've learned something new. But I am not sure I like it. :wacko:

1 minute ago, Aries_Wild_Child said:

Ok I have to say I feel pretty disturbed. It happens that all these years I was playing different game than most of people here. Here is how I see things - every dragon is unique and I like them all, that's why it's hard for me when I raise some of them and I have to trade it for another, or to abandon it. So I have tons of same dragons just because I don't want to abandon. And in fact what you guys doing is pretty strange. It's like buying pretty puppy from a nursery instead of addopt one from a shelter that actually needs a home the most and will die in a cage because nobody wants it.

I really thought this game is for collecting new breeds as much as possible. I actually never look at the lineage if I don't need to check how one dragon is created so I can breed similar as it's parents. After eight years of playing I've learned something new. But I am not sure I like it. :wacko:

Your style of playing the game is totally fine and valid! The beauty of Dragon Cave is that you can play the way that feels best to you. You're also definitely not the only person who plays that way at all. Loads of players just want pretty sprites. They're just a lot less prevalent on the trading sections of the forums.

10 minutes ago, Aries_Wild_Child said:

You're welcome to play how you like, but please don't compare making pretty pixel compositions to letting real animals die. :( 

We're playing a fun dragon collecting game, not turning up our noses at real suffering. Comparing the two is like comparing collecting dragons to real world slavery. 

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Well here comes the other thing. What "pretty" means? The same? Rare? Ten or more at one family/lineage? You may find that pretty, I find it not important. You guys do realize every single dragon takes time, clicks, waiting for the egg to appear at the abandoned list, checking it for sickness... You do realize this is a game and that time you spend on it will never come back, right? And I am not judging, I am here too because I like the game, but that sounds more like obsession. We have only one life, to whom will serve all those pretty lineages that takes hours, days even months and years to create?

8 minutes ago, Aries_Wild_Child said:

The Game doesn't differentiate between dragons, period. Players make distinctions. Each player makes of this game what he wants of it. The game you play the way you play is just as legitimate as any other person's method of play.There are a lot of players and a lot of ways the game is played. Just recognize that your way is not the only way, and play however you choose.

8 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

You're welcome to play how you like, but please don't compare making pretty pixel compositions to letting real animals die. :( 

We're playing a fun dragon collecting game, not turning up our noses at real suffering. Comparing the two is like comparing collecting dragons to real world slavery. 

Ok, I chose wrong example. But I believe you understand what I mean. I like the order and I am pretty messy person at the same time. I just never tought one breed can be more importand and wanted than another for something more than it's rarity, because, of course if there are 30 eggs of one breed everybody will wants it first. But still...

Edited by Aries_Wild_Child

Well, if it helps: how often do you see eggs dying in the AP? The AP almost never falls below 4 days, because once things are close to hatching, someone will inevitably pick it up. Personally while I don't collect messy looking lineages any more I still hold on to the ones I took in years ago because they're special to me. 

So I do see where you're coming from, but being picky about lineages doesn't mean letting dragons die either. We can have the best of both! ;) Did you see all those super low time eggs in the AP the other day once the Halloweens were gone? A lot of those lineages wouldn't normally be considered valuable, but as you can see, they were swooped up right away regardless!

There's really no "wrong" way to play DC!  Also, I don't think I've ever seen an egg die in the Abandoned area unless it was abandoned with just minutes to live.  People snatch up low time eggs and hatch them quickly!

Lineages are a fun way to play the game if it's something you enjoy.  However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with playing Pokemon style "Gotta catch em all!"

7 hours ago, Aries_Wild_Child said:

Well here comes the other thing. What "pretty" means? The same? Rare? Ten or more at one family/lineage? You may find that pretty, I find it not important. You guys do realize every single dragon takes time, clicks, waiting for the egg to appear at the abandoned list, checking it for sickness... You do realize this is a game and that time you spend on it will never come back, right? And I am not judging, I am here too because I like the game, but that sounds more like obsession. We have only one life, to whom will serve all those pretty lineages that takes hours, days even months and years to create?

Why do people play at all? You do realize that your scroll for you is nothing else than lineages for others? You collect a certain thing, other people collect other things.

You build your scroll the way you like, others build theirs the way they like. To whom will serve all those pretty sprites you collect? Same questions, really ;)

In the end, it's just a nice pastime. I myself like playing it with the lineage aspect.

8 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Why do people play at all? You do realize that your scroll for you is nothing else than lineages for others? You collect a certain thing, other people collect other things.

You build your scroll the way you like, others build theirs the way they like. To whom will serve all those pretty sprites you collect? Same questions, really ;)

In the end, it's just a nice pastime. I myself like playing it with the lineage aspect.

While my granddaughter usually ONLY picks up from the AP and doesn't look at the lineages, because "they need her".

I also just now noticed the OP's signature.

Consider lineages some sort of pixel art, and you may get an idea of why one wants to do that ;)

There is also a collaboration aspect to this: people adding their dragons to a bigger picture. E.g. I found this one's father in the AP and asked others to help me build the mother:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/B86xf

Gets people involved, and eventually, you have a result to show, a success. That's something real life sometimes just doesn't feel like giving ...

I collect sprites first.  A family of five of each.  I like to LOOK at other people's lineages, but none of my lineage projects have gotten past the "collect a bunch of CBs" step.  lol  So I perfectly understand where you're coming from in not caring about lineages.  I am trying to get at least one pair of CBs for every dragon though.  Because even though I don't really make lineages I really enjoy when I see a signature or trade post saying I need x bred to y.  and being able to just breed whatever combo and send it to that person as a just because.  So that's why I collect CBs.  It doesn't have to be about lineages. :3

12 hours ago, Aries_Wild_Child said:

I feel like I'm being kink shamed, here. XD

You've spent eight years here yourself; who are all those random dragons you collected serving? Eating cookies, drawing pictures, and playing video games doesn't have much purpose beyond being fun, either, but I'd hate to live on a world without them. As you said yourself, Earth without art is just eh. Granted, piecing together tiny pixel squares isn't a terribly involved form of "art," but still. :P 

Actually, going off that... how often do you breed or swap with others? Sharing pretty lineages once I've finished them is probably my favorite part of lineages, or as @Ruby Eyes says, finding new people to collaborate with to continue a line. Lineages have led to most of my friendships on this site, because combining lines generally requires talking with people, and sharing them--well--of course requires other people. XD In contrast, your dragons probably just sit on your scroll without really "serving" others... :P (Ok, I'm poking a little fun at you here, but just to show how silly it is to judge people for how they play a silly dragon game. We're all just here to have fun and waste time. Personally I'd find just grabbing random dragons every week boring and a waste of time... but you do whatever you like! That's the beauty of a simple silly game like this! Just please stop implying the rest of us are crazy puppy abandoning obsessives! :P )

And, as one last closing note... while making lineages might take months or years collectively, altogether it's not that much more time consuming than what you're doing. I just take a few minutes every few days to log in and breed specific pairings versus you logging in a few minutes every few days to grab random eggs. I'm not sitting hunched over my desk 24/7 foaming at the mouth for fictional dragon pedigrees, I just spend what little time this simple game asks investing it differently. X'D

14 hours ago, Aries_Wild_Child said:

Well here comes the other thing. What "pretty" means? The same? Rare? Ten or more at one family/lineage? You may find that pretty, I find it not important.

That's fine, but then what are you doing in the trading forum? If you don't care about lineages and believe that all pixellated eggs are the same, then there's no point in trading with another player ever. You can breed anything you want yourself. Therefore, 99% of everybody you will find in the trading forum, by definition, is going to be people who care about the egg's lineage. If it's not important to them they would not waste their time trading.

13 hours ago, Aries_Wild_Child said:

I am one of those people who often asks for CB or 2nd gen breeds. When I first started a million years ago in 2009, I was like you. I collected dragons for sprites and nothing more. Then I joined the forum and learned that there was more to DC than just collecting sprites. I eventually learned about how pretty and important lineages are to some players. I released all of my messy dragons and "started fresh" with CBs and lower generation dragons. Years later, I have almost every sprite (save for ungendered neglected dragons) and I have nothing to do really outside of gifting or collecting new releases. And so to maximize my gifting abilities, I ask for CB and 2nd gen dragons in trade.

On the note of raising dragons taking time, I know. I've been here since 2009. At this point, I can basically throw my dragons in a hatchery and let them be. They rarely get sick and I can dedicate time to hunting the AP or the cave if I want to. I usually don't anymore since I can trade for my dragons. And those pretty dragons that take months, years, hours to obtain go back to the rest of the userbase. I traded for rare things and now I trade my rare things for common things that people can easily catch. Or I just give them rares. I've been playing so long that it's whatever and I'd rather help users build their own lineages at this point. Plus I like seeing my dragons' children and grandchildren. 

5 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I feel like I'm being kink shamed, here. XD

You've spent eight years here yourself; who are all those random dragons you collected serving? Eating cookies, drawing pictures, and playing video games doesn't have much purpose beyond being fun, either, but I'd hate to live on a world without them. As you said yourself, Earth without art is just eh. Granted, piecing together tiny pixel squares isn't a terribly involved form of "art," but still. :P 

Actually, going off that... how often do you breed or swap with others? Sharing pretty lineages once I've finished them is probably my favorite part of lineages, or as @Ruby Eyes says, finding new people to collaborate with to continue a line. Lineages have led to most of my friendships on this site, because combining lines generally requires talking with people, and sharing them--well--of course requires other people. XD In contrast, your dragons probably just sit on your scroll without really "serving" others... :P (Ok, I'm poking a little fun at you here, but just to show how silly it is to judge people for how they play a silly dragon game. We're all just here to have fun and waste time. Personally I'd find just grabbing random dragons every week boring and a waste of time... but you do whatever you like! That's the beauty of a simple silly game like this! Just please stop implying the rest of us are crazy puppy abandoning obsessives! :P )

And, as one last closing note... while making lineages might take months or years collectively, altogether it's not that much more time consuming than what you're doing. I just take a few minutes every few days to log in and breed specific pairings versus you logging in a few minutes every few days to grab random eggs. I'm not sitting hunched over my desk 24/7 foaming at the mouth for fictional dragon pedigrees, I just spend what little time this simple game asks investing it differently. X'D

You misunderstoond me or just joking. I said I was playing from 8 years, not that I spent 8 years infront of computer. You can see one page with for example 250 drags I finished for almost a month since previous I was collecting them for more than an year. Since I broke my leg I had enought time to sit on my butt and klicking in every possible site to kill my time. But all of you explaining to me that "it's my choise how to play", well I already know that don't you think? I was just curious what's that rush for cave born and lineage thing. You do know you always can download the images and order them with a program the way you like, right? So is all that really for the good looking scroll or something else?

And again, ignoring your tone, I judge nobody. I asked, I shared my oppinion, I never told anybody how to play his game and I think it's more than obvious and only a stupid one won't see it. But let's stop it here, because I see you very passionately defend your lineages, hope they will answer with the same ;)

3 hours ago, Jazeki said:

I am one of those people who often asks for CB or 2nd gen breeds. When I first started a million years ago in 2009, I was like you. I collected dragons for sprites and nothing more. Then I joined the forum and learned that there was more to DC than just collecting sprites. I eventually learned about how pretty and important lineages are to some players. I released all of my messy dragons and "started fresh" with CBs and lower generation dragons. Years later, I have almost every sprite (save for ungendered neglected dragons) and I have nothing to do really outside of gifting or collecting new releases. And so to maximize my gifting abilities, I ask for CB and 2nd gen dragons in trade.

On the note of raising dragons taking time, I know. I've been here since 2009. At this point, I can basically throw my dragons in a hatchery and let them be. They rarely get sick and I can dedicate time to hunting the AP or the cave if I want to. I usually don't anymore since I can trade for my dragons. And those pretty dragons that take months, years, hours to obtain go back to the rest of the userbase. I traded for rare things and now I trade my rare things for common things that people can easily catch. Or I just give them rares. I've been playing so long that it's whatever and I'd rather help users build their own lineages at this point. Plus I like seeing my dragons' children and grandchildren. 

I wouldn't ust that word. "Nothing more". I am here for fun, I like dragons, by the way I am an artist so I like the graphics and colors too. I am not crazy collectioner that get anything I can grab just to be collected, I have my own system, not making "pretty" lineages doesn't make me (or other people) less important players. Since I am at the site and supporting it, it doesn't matter how dragons would be ordered, right? The point is I do respect any lineage, because the person who created it spent same time and will as the one who is looking for cave born only.

15 minutes ago, Aries_Wild_Child said:

You misunderstoond me or just joking. I said I was playing from 8 years, not that I spent 8 years infront of computer. You can see one page with for example 250 drags I finished for almost a month since previous I was collecting them for more than an year. Since I broke my leg I had enought time to sit on my butt and klicking in every possible site to kill my time. But all of you explaining to me that "it's my choise how to play", well I already know that don't you think? I was just curious what's that rush for cave born and lineage thing. You do know you always can download the images and order them with a program the way you like, right? So is all that really for the good looking scroll or something else?

And again, ignoring your tone, I judge nobody. I asked, I shared my oppinion, I never told anybody how to play his game and I think it's more than obvious and only a stupid one won't see it. But let's stop it here, because I see you very passionately defend your lineages, hope they will answer with the same ;)

Downloading and moving images around isn't the same as playing the game and actually putting things together. Like I said, it's like asking for a random gold versus catching a CB; one takes no effort to do and is very unrewarding, the other takes time and is very sastifying. XD

I was joking around for the most part. Everyone can play how they like! Heck, there are a lot of older players who don't care about lineages. However you made some rather hurtful comparisons between playing around with lineages and this game and being elitist or obsessive, so I wanted to show you how those same arguments could be applied to anyone who plays any game. It's not very nice to have someone tell you you're wasting your life or compare you to a mutt abandoner, even if you admitted the latter was a bad example, it was still said. So please, we don't mind how you play, please think before you make some of these comments towards how we play. I came here just to give a friendly answer about why I like lineages and got some rather judgmental responses. I'm not trying to be mean to you, but again... please think before you say some of these things about how others play. ;)