Dame_Jedi

ANSWERED:Ban all that use bots

I was just in the jungle and there were 0 users, ergo only me. A CB gold popped up ~code removed~ and I immediately clicked it but it was gone, while there were still 0 users in the Jungle. 

Don't tell me that there isn't a way to pick up bots and to ban those that use them. It's so extremely disheartening to have a chance to get a CB gold but then cheaters ruin it.

Edited by Infinis
Removed code as it is not owned by poster

Known bot-users are already banned.

Generally speaking, bots are indistinguishable from users unless their behaviour patterns are sufficiently unusual for them to be identified. Carefully coded bots show action patterns that match normal (albeit skilled) user patterns exactly. That's exactly what makes them so difficult to catch.

That said, the user count will typically also count bots (especially those that mimic user behaviour as closely as possible), so what you observed is probably some form of biome-hopping - which does not necessarily mean you had to deal with a bot. Real users also do biome-hopping. Some people swear on it for catching rares, others argue it hurts your chances - either way, it's something people do.

I feel your pain. I have read 0 doesn't mean anyone else was in the jungle.I still don't know how a bot would be used, but I hope all cheaters are caught and banned.

Trust me, they've been banning people for cheating for a long, long time. As long as I've been around. TJ isn't a perfect admin, but he has a sense of fair play, for sure. I remember when people used to make bots to scoop golds and such out of the AP based on the pixels on the sprite, somehow. That was ages and ages ago. Cheating continues to evolve, no doubt. Meh. Anyway, FWIW, it may well have been a biome hopper. I do that. Sometimes if I'm clicking through fast enough it doesn't register my presence at all. Granted, it would be hard to catch anything when I'm going that fast, much less a gold. I've never caught a gold. But people do, so I'm sure someone could, legitimately.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I feel your pain, but I don't think the counter was necessarily lying to you - I don't think it updates too frequently to reduce strain on the server?  I think?

Increasingly I'm wondering if people are using bots to hunt for desirable eggs in the AP (I'm thinking Spriter Alt kins especially).  I suspect it'd be pretty easy to write a script to trawl the AP for eggs with the desired codes (easy to find if you stalk the parents) and nab them almost before anyone else even gets to see them.

TJ said once that it only updates every few minutes. Over the event, I was in a biome full on the new eggs with no-one in it, allegedly. And couldn't get any of them.

They could've been Biome hopping, yes. That's what I do. And the counter doesn't update Automatically I don't think.

But like I said in the FB Group, I believe TJ also mentioned that the same exact Rare can appear in multiple Biomes. And I have also seen a Rare (Gold/Silver) in one Biome, but their View page showed they were caught in a different one. *shrugs*

@Dame_Jedi

I've edited your post to remove the egg code, as you don't own it and we don't want it being viewbombed or the owner otherwise targeted. (: 

It really sucks to get your hopes up like that and not catch anything. I don't think it's really possible to figure out exactly what happened though, since there are so many possibilities.

I think the user counter in the biomes updates once every minute. One minute is an eternity in the cave. There might have been 20 users that came to the Jungle from other biomes since the last time the counter was updated.

1 hour ago, The Dragoness said:

It really sucks to get your hopes up like that and not catch anything. I don't think it's really possible to figure out exactly what happened though, since there are so many possibilities.

What happened was that someone else caught it. Simples.

Seriously, the situation doesn't stem from someone using a bot, but from the way that the users-in-biome count is static most of the time and only updates every full minute or so. (Or the counter would have shown you, too. If you're in a biome, there can't be 0 users in there. Simple logic, really.)

That being said, TJ does his best to catch cheaters and burn their scrolls.

If you suspect anyone of cheating, feel free to PM any moderator with your concerns and it will be looked into.  Using a bot is already against the rules everyone agreed to when they made an account, so this suggestion is already in play.

As such, closing.