blockEdragon

Allow Valentines/Christmas dragons to be either gender

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

While I'm a tad sad that some breeding combos are currently not possible, I prefer Valentine and Holiday dragons to be single-gender. Makes breeding plans easier. :rolleyes:

Exactly my thoughts too.

I really prefer the single gender for Valentine and Holiday. As Ruby Eyes said, it makes planning lineages easier.

It makes hunting the AP easier, too. I can't tell you how many times I picked up a Halloween egg, looked at its lineage and got all excited thinking it would fit in with mine, only to realize later that the genders were wrong and have to toss it back. Also less complicated to arrange trades.

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I really prefer the single gender for Valentine and Holiday. As Ruby Eyes said, it makes planning lineages easier.

It makes hunting the AP easier, too. I can't tell you how many times I picked up a Halloween egg, looked at its lineage and got all excited thinking it would fit in with mine, only to realize later that the genders were wrong and have to toss it back. Also less complicated to arrange trades.

This sums up my thoughts on the subject as well.

Maybe there's another kind of compromise possible?

Like, Winter Holiday / Valentine Dragons start out as one gender, but from year 2 on, they can be influenced to be the other gender? (Standard gender will always be the default, though.)

Might still mess up things like (hypothetical) female Yulebuck lineages, but will work well enough with standard lines.

Providing it works with what the conceptor decided, Not saying they cannot change the dragon description, several seem neutral gender wise except for the heartseeker.

During this time, a single Heartseeker may play matchmaker to dozens of dragons, but he will also choose a special mate of his own.

So depending if this conceptor wants their dragon to be female, then they'd have to alter their description. Personally, I'd leave this one well alone.

I honestly wouldn't mind a chance of either gender after the first year, IF the concepters/spriters agreed to it on their own (and not because so many people were trying to convince them to!). There have already been multiple spriters/concepters in this thread speaking against it though, saying that their dragon was intended to be a specific gender. I'd honestly much, much rather have a dragon be the gender it was made to be then force the dragon to change just because one gender may inconvenience some people.

9 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

I honestly wouldn't mind a chance of either gender after the first year, IF the concepters/spriters agreed to it on their own (and not because so many people were trying to convince them to!). There have already been multiple spriters/concepters in this thread speaking against it though, saying that their dragon was intended to be a specific gender. I'd honestly much, much rather have a dragon be the gender it was made to be then force the dragon to change just because one gender may inconvenience some people.

That doesn't solve the issues that I have with it, though. To me, having two genders is an inconvenience. I suspect we will never make everyone happy, though.

@purplehaze What about having two genders is an inconvenience to you? I've seen it mentioned in this thread that some people prefer single-gender when we have the 2-CB limit, and wouldn't want both-genders unless the CB limit is increased. Is that your issue, or is it something else?

I'm not purple, but why I'd almost find it "inconvenient" is the hassle of thinking about influence etc over the very busy holiday seasons. Bad enough in the Hallowe'en pandemonium...

Edited by fuzzbucket
I hate my spellchecker

No, I think I stated my reasons earlier, but it all comes down to making it easier to get the combination you want, either from the AP or by trading. If there is only one gender then any egg that is bred from a holiday x whatever dragon you are using will match your lineage. I saw many eggs in the AP this Halloween that got me all excited until I realized that it was opposite of the gender combination that I was looking for. "Ooooh, Grave x Magma! I want it! *checks own dragons* Oops! No I don't. :(" Rinse. Repeat. And the same goes for arranging trades above 2nd gen.

edit: Plus what Fuzz says about influence!

Edited by purplehaze

Yeah, I would find it incredibly inconvenient for all those reasons too. I like the tradition of just not having to worry about influence for just two breeds of dragons a year. If the spriters wanted to change that, well, okay, I'll collect both genders, but I think having just the few single-gender breeds is relaxing.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

No, I think I stated my reasons earlier, but it all comes down to making it easier to get the combination you want, either from the AP or by trading. If there is only one gender then any egg that is bred from a holiday x whatever dragon you are using will match your lineage. I saw many eggs in the AP this Halloween that got me all excited until I realized that it was opposite of the gender combination that I was looking for. "Ooooh, Grave x Magma! I want it! *checks own dragons* Oops! No I don't. :(" Rinse. Repeat. And the same goes for arranging trades above 2nd gen.

Oh hell yes - that too.