TJ09

2017-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

58 minutes ago, arjunvohra said:

but some people said that they had already seen alt hatchies?

well...their vision probably deceived them >.<

I am one of the few that saw one of the alt hatchlings and I can tell you with confidence that my eyes certainly did not deceive me! :) The hatchling in question (which has already been named in all-caps) was almost entirely yellow (or golden, if you wish) at the time and thus very clearly different from the normal hatchlings. I bookmarked the hatchling (as I was curious about it and liked the thought of seeing the mature version as soon as possible) and looking at it now, I see that it has been changed into the normal sprite. It is still ungendered as we speak, so my personal guess is that the spriter(s) probably privately requested that TJ temporarily change their alt sprites into normal ones, so that people can't find them in the hatcheries and then (be it accidentally or intentionally) viewbomb them. That is, assuming that alt hatchlings aren't protected from viewbombing in the same way that CB Prize dragons are.

Oh found out just now I can have 7 on my page and the alemerald egg now has a big hole in it. Will not use my pinks to gender them. But when I get a second lot will do so. I only so far have 3 but they stated I could have a total of 21.  Ack.  I am using Dragon hatchling club to get mine to hatch. Would use Dragon fix but keep forgetting to click on them.

9 minutes ago, Duysterwald said:

I am one of the few that saw one of the alt hatchlings and I can tell you with confidence that my eyes certainly did not deceive me! :) The hatchling in question (which has already been named in all-caps) was almost entirely yellow (or golden, if you wish) at the time and thus very clearly different from the normal hatchlings. I bookmarked the hatchling (as I was curious about it and liked the thought of seeing the mature version as soon as possible) and looking at it now, I see that it has been changed into the normal sprite. It is still ungendered as we speak, so my personal guess is that the spriter(s) probably privately requested that TJ temporarily change their alt sprites into normal ones, so that people can't find them in the hatcheries and then (be it accidentally or intentionally) viewbomb them. That is, assuming that alt hatchlings aren't protected from viewbombing in the same way that CB Prize dragons are.

ah thanks!!

that clarifies a lot!

:)

Cool adults! I had a bit of trouble finding the head at first because there is so much going on. but once I did I really like them. The male cracks me up a bit because my family's green cheek conure will go into his tent and do the same curved puffy neck pose when he is upset.

Well these are neat. I kind of wish we could get another Halloween that isn't some variation on "rawrbooscary willmurderyou", seeing as that's all we've had since Cavern Lurkers came out, but the sprites are super cool, the colors are definitely something neat and new as far as Halloweens go, it's not a Western (yay!), and Omen is a really neat name so y'know what I'll take em. I bet they'll look amazing in lineages with Scripts.

2 hours ago, Shroomlet said:

Wait. What happens if you carry an Omen egg across a river? Will it die?!

Perhaps I will mate mine with aquatic dragons, just to be annoying. ;-)

3 minutes ago, tjekan said:

I suggest the Striped-River Dragon XD

Wow, there's so much detail to the adults! I can't wait to start pairing dragons with them. :) 

Ooooh! The adult sprites are so detailed. Really lovely work. I'll be hoarding these next year. Thanks, Birdz and Process!

These. Are. Beautiful! :D I love them! And them being on fire is just so cool! I think I have a new favourite Halloween dragon!

Sorry Caligenes </3

IMO the adult appearance just fits in with the theme of TJ's codes. Its adult appearance is difficult to process at first glance because it's a creature not meant to be looked upon by human eyes... (Which I mean in the eldritch abomination sense, not as a dig at the sprites, which are lovely.) This is certainly the creepiest-looking Halloween dragon we've had so far!

So the description is great, the sprite is ... difficult to distinguish? Although as Wyrms one would think that shouldn't be that difficult :lol: It's not my cup of tea, but still thanks TJ and contributors for the wonderful event and thanks spriters for such a creative and original dragon!

They're based on Will-o'-Wisps. Said that a few days ago.

Edited by PhoenixEterna

*opens mouth, tries to speak*

*closes mouth*

... speechless. Just... speechless. 

They're DEFINITELY Lovecraftian, that's for sure! Anything I might say right now is an understatement. So I'm just going to go with a humble thank you for releasing something this incredibly awesome. I knew the word was going to turn out to be Omen  - just had a gut feeling - but I didn't even come close to predicting what the adults would look like. Just incredible. Going to have a great time coming up with lore for them.

EDIT: Er... Will o' Wisps? I... don't see that. I really, really don't. Witchlights seem a lot more Will-o-Wispy to me.

Edited by Lurhstaap

44 minutes ago, TCA said:

Well these are neat. I kind of wish we could get another Halloween that isn't some variation on "rawrbooscary willmurderyou", seeing as that's all we've had since Cavern Lurkers came out, but the sprites are super cool, the colors are definitely something neat and new as far as Halloweens go, it's not a Western (yay!), and Omen is a really neat name so y'know what I'll take em. I bet they'll look amazing in lineages with Scripts.

Hah, that just makes me want to try and work on a Halloween concept I've had in the back of my mind for a while.  Although.... I should work on other concepts some more first, yo!  ;) :lol:

Well I managed to snag the name 'DooomNoodle CB', which I'm happy about. I already have another breed with a naming scheme including Noodle, so I won't name them all that way.

I'm.... I really love the concept/lore for these guys, and I looooove the colors (yayyy non-dark Halloween derg!). But the adults... Now that people have posted screenshots and explained where the head should be and such I understand what's going on with them a bit better, but they are just so busy! And maybe it's just me but the heads just don't look like heads... I mean, even blowing them up I can't see any actual eyes, and while the hatchies had distinctive heads and mouths these really don't, unless I'm completely misunderstanding what things are. With the male I can't tell where the body ends... I can't understand exactly how the squiggly thin part to the right is actually connected to the rest of the body so it looks kind of strange.

Maybe if I stare at them some more I'll figure things out. Looove the colors though. So purty!

3 hours ago, Jazeki said:

I assume it would live. Dracula was able to cross water and live (though he did it in a boat). They probably just can't do it themselves.

Hmmm... it does make it a lot easier to control their hatchie-roaming though. Want to go scare the baby Silvers? Nu-uh, Waterdragon playground just got an extension!

51 minutes ago, tjekan said:

That is the beginning of a very tragic dragon-superhero origin-story.

Or maybe Karate-Cub? Omen-Mom is killed in an accident while still an egg, Water Dragon dad raises cub on a river-island and teaches secret juice-jutsu or something. Biggest heroic moment: cub has to cross the river to save dad from the local gang of mean Mints. Yeah, I can totally see it coming together.

Edited by Shroomlet

At first I looked at these and I was like "wait what, where's the dragon? What IS this thing?". And then I looked more. And more. And more. And I saw the head, and I saw all the details. And I went from being very confused and meh about the sprite to being OBSESSED and IMPRESSED by it.

Once you see the heads, the rest of it makes sense. And for such a chaotic breed, I love how the sprite is also chaotic. But the fact that they managed to pack so much detail into so few pixels is so commendable. With some breeds, I feel like details get lost and they look messy. And yet somehow, with a dragon that is centered in chaos and is a fiery explosion, no details are lost and it looks so refined and well done. The more you look at it, the more details you see. It's truly, truly, incredible and I am endlessly impressed that birdz and process were able to create something like that. 

I also love that it's not as traditional halloween-y but it's still super spooky and feels very appropriate for the holiday. And of course, I am so pro more wyrms because dang do I just love wyrms.

This is a really gorgeous and impressive sprite. I know everyone is always saying "this new dragon is my new favorite", but I don't often feel that way and damn, this new dragon is one of my new favorites! I'm just sad I only get to hoard them a couple weeks a year! 

Congrats and well done spriters and thank you so much!

Edited to add: I want to know more about the Lovecraftian spin on TJ's sprite names and where that came from! I wanna know about the inspiration for these! 

Edited by plumpernuff

Am I the only one who isn't having any particular trouble seeing and appreciating these things? Yes, it took me a moment to find the heads on the sprites. But it was less than ten seconds and once I spotted the mouths, the whole thing just popped into place for me. It's intricate and detailed, but very much NOT messy or thrown together. I can't believe people are even saying that. I'm not trying to be rude, but I would hate to hear some of y'all's comments in an art museum. Jeez. Anyway. I felt I should emphasize that some of us see no problem at all with your lovelies, Process and Birdz. Especially for Process, because after waiting and working so long to get a holiday dragon accepted, I'd be pretty hurt by the overall tenor of the comments so far if it were me. For every one that's appreciative there's someone (unfairly, IMO) complaining that's a big mess. So I wanted to show some extra appreciation.

Edited by Lurhstaap

Wow, very beautiful monstrosities! Love them. The artistic skills are impressive here!

@Lurhstaap Naw, I loved these guys the moment I saw their adult forms! My judgment is always based off the adult form as I only collect adults. I only noticed the chaos afterwards, somehow? XD 

I want to breed them to xenowyrms. I love xenowyrms. ovo

But yes! Special congrats to Process! Birdz, too!

I'm really not seeing the problem with these? Once you see the head you figure the rest out. Besides, I think the business works. It's not meant to be a pretty dragon. It's suppose to be an eldritch monster lol.