princess_serenity14616

Malware Virus

This site is full of viruses. It red flags my anti virus software like crazy.

Edited by LadyLyzar
No reason to be insulting. We'd be glad to help if you'll let us.

Do you mean the forum? Or the site itself? TJ has the site set up as a secure site (https instead of just http), so putting an example of what your software is flagging might be helpful. It could be an ad or something to do with your browser rather than the actual site. 

The site would not be running if it was full of viruses.  Our admin takes security very seriously.

If you are seeing a lot of warnings, it is likely that there is malware on your computer already.

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Edited by LadyLyzar

Have you downloaded anything suspicious (eg. Torrents or free 'antivirus' software or something) recently?  Also, what kind of antivirus software are you using and are there parental controls on it?  I use Norton and the default security and it works just fine, no issues with the site.  Also, do you have any idea about the nature of the ads you're getting?  Viruses on your computer tend to give shady click bait that appears everywhere.  I've had viruses before, many times in fact, so I know this.

Can't say I have ever run into a virus on this website in the many years I have been using it. Perhaps, as the above posts have said, it's something on your computer or browser?

Edited by XiziX

Same it just happened to me on my phone. I figured it was the ad, because I typically don't use an ad blocker on my phone. But it could be the site.

Edit: This is the first time it's happened to me, but I don't go on DC much on my phone. And I was getting candy for the Halloween event. No clicking on ads, page loaded and issue.

Edited by RukatheBlackfish

I meant to post something about this, but I seem to have forgotten.

When I'm on my phone, I do sometimes get suspicious pop-ups and redirects while on DC. I tested it out on other websites and it seems to be only DC. It also seems to happen only on phones, not computers. Lastly, if I remember correctly, it only happened while logged out. Once I logged in, everything was fine.

It only happens to me when I misclick on an ad on my phone.  None are 'weird' or 'unexpected' like win a free iPhone or hot Russian women are waiting for you or something.  Usually, it's local ads for local colleges, services, or something else local.

In my 9 years playing DC I have never, ever encountered a virus, malware, anything on the site. And I play literally 5+ hours every single day, so if there was one somewhere I'd most likely have run across it by now. If people are only experiencing them on mobile that may be something to look into.

The only issue I have is sometimes when I go to the site and click dragons to view my dragons I get one of those "Congrats! You've been randomly selected to win $1000 amazon giftcard." Sometimes it's Wal-Mart. Either way, that is without clicking on any ad. The main page of the site has the ads at the very bottom and the menu at the top (phone player) so it's not like I can accidentally click the link and not know it. It's been going on for a few days now, only on DC. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on. Is it possible the site has been tampered with? Perhaps it's the ad? Idk but it's getting annoying, that's for sure. 

On 10/30/2017 at 7:49 PM, Draconiusultamius said:

like win a free iPhone or hot Russian women are waiting for you

LMFAO. Thank you for making my day. Crazy ads like those pop up all the time for me (and usually make me laugh as much as your comment did), but not on Dragcave. I pirate most of the media I watch, and with free movies + TV come free computer viruses. (Well, they would if my anti-spyware wasn't excellent.) :rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend this for Dragcave (gotta support this site legally, guys), but Adblock Plus for desktop and mobile is a lifesaver. You really shouldn't be without some kind of pop-up blocker if you surf the internet as often as I do.

Edited by Miral

2 hours ago, lainey_lane03 said:

The only issue I have is sometimes when I go to the site and click dragons to view my dragons I get one of those "Congrats! You've been randomly selected to win $1000 amazon giftcard." Sometimes it's Wal-Mart. Either way, that is without clicking on any ad. The main page of the site has the ads at the very bottom and the menu at the top (phone player) so it's not like I can accidentally click the link and not know it. It's been going on for a few days now, only on DC. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on. Is it possible the site has been tampered with? Perhaps it's the ad? Idk but it's getting annoying, that's for sure. 

I get this at random on my phone on various sites, ONLY when using the Chrome browser. Photobucket did it most recently. My searches to find the source of the problem tell me it's a Google issue, not necessarily an issue with the site that's got a redirect ad on it. When a mobile site starts doing that to me, I switch to the Opera browser and it doesn't do it there. Have not had it happen on DC yet.

2 hours ago, lainey_lane03 said:

This happened to me on mobile last week - Only time it's actually ever happened to me, actually, and I'm on mobile a lot. I don't know if I was logged in/logged out, etc though

3 hours ago, lainey_lane03 said:

No. This is your computer being infected. You, yourself, on your machine, have a virus.

This is true of EVERYBODY who thinks the site is infected. I promise. It's not the site. it's YOUR device. I'm not trying to attack you or be rude, I'm trying to help you by making you aware of this so you can do something about it and not have to deal with it. If you see this kind of ad, it is always coming from malware and the malware is on YOUR system, not that of the website you're viewing.

And yes, this DOES apply to those of us who play from mobile. Mobile is NOT immune to malware!

The reason it matters what browser you use is that it's often the browser itself that's infected. A lot of malware pretends to be plugins or add-ons for the browser.

Edited by Lurhstaap

13 minutes ago, Lurhstaap said:

The reason it matters what browser you use is that it's often the browser itself that's infected. A lot of malware pretends to be plugins or add-ons for the browser.

This is what I was trying to say but my three-year-old was talking to me and making me lose my train of thought. XD Yes, this, this exactly. Lurhstaap, what antivirus do you use on mobile? Avast does absolutely nothing for this.

13 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

This is what I was trying to say but my three-year-old was talking to me and making me lose my train of thought. XD Yes, this, this exactly. Lurhstaap, what antivirus do you use on mobile? Avast does absolutely nothing for this.

3-year-olds are certainly talented at distraction. XD I have AVG. I only got it recently though. I cruised 'naked' for a long time because I don't do a lot of risky stuff on my phone. I mostly go to known safe sites like DC. So I can't speak to its quality as phone anti-malware. FWIW, so far so good? It's not like it's FAILED on me. I just haven't really put it to the test.

Pushy? What do you mean by that? If it's throwing up a lot of alerts and whatnot I haven't noticed. I'm terrible at that. XD I see maybe one in ten alerts on my phone. 

Just gonna say that AVG has nearly bricked my computer, and it has to many other people - just a simple "avg bricked my computer" search can give you way more in depth technical stories. They were from awhile ago (2010/11 mostly), as was my incident, but I don't really want a product on my computer that has nearly bricked another - no matter how much it's "improved."

I use malwarebytes and back up regularly, although I'm not sure if malwarebytes has a mobile version? It's excellent if you just want something to scan when things seem fishy, but that won't bother you other times. 

Malwarebytes DOES have an app, so I'm trying that out now. Hopefully the free version does the trick.

2 hours ago, Lurhstaap said:

Pushy? What do you mean by that? If it's throwing up a lot of alerts and whatnot I haven't noticed. I'm terrible at that. XD I see maybe one in ten alerts on my phone. 

2 hours ago, Alrexwolf said:

Just gonna say that AVG has nearly bricked my computer, and it has to many other people - just a simple "avg bricked my computer" search can give you way more in depth technical stories. They were from awhile ago (2010/11 mostly), as was my incident, but I don't really want a product on my computer that has nearly bricked another - no matter how much it's "improved."

I use malwarebytes and back up regularly, although I'm not sure if malwarebytes has a mobile version? It's excellent if you just want something to scan when things seem fishy, but that won't bother you other times. 

Alrex says it all. And it spends half its time begging you to upgrade, as well, and trying to force its browser add-on on to you. avira is nice and quiet and does it all.

ALSO - which is kind of scary - I went to uninstall AVG. It took me - in the end - 4 days. I tried to do it with the uninstall that came with it. No dice. So I used the uninstall programme. Which uninstalled it and said reboot - which I did and it reinstalled itself on the spot. I uninstalled it again using iObit - and it installed itself again. I googled and found that - well hidden on their site - is a special tool to uninstall it. It warned that it might take some time, and that multiple reboots might be required. TOO RIGHT. It hung there for ages doing whatever and demanding reboots. I had to reboot - as I recall - 8 times - and then, for safety, I ran my ashampoo programme - which still found traces of the damn thing. That is what I call WAY over-intrusive. I can't tell you how glad I am to be shot of it - and everything runs so much more smoothly without it.

AND - it isn't getting high ratings for detection in the computer press any more, as well as getting warnings about the PUPs it carries - including the browser "helper". No thanks, AVG.

Edited by fuzzbucket

9 hours ago, Lurhstaap said:

No. This is your computer being infected. You, yourself, on your machine, have a virus.

This is true of EVERYBODY who thinks the site is infected. I promise. It's not the site. it's YOUR device. I'm not trying to attack you or be rude, I'm trying to help you by making you aware of this so you can do something about it and not have to deal with it. If you see this kind of ad, it is always coming from malware and the malware is on YOUR system, not that of the website you're viewing.

And yes, this DOES apply to those of us who play from mobile. Mobile is NOT immune to malware!

According to the suggested malwarebytes, this is untrue. Something I suspected upon your inference. If it happened to me regularly on a daily basis you might be right. But literally the only site it happens on is DC. I do use chrome however, so perhaps that's the issue. But I use chrome for everything and it only happens on the main site here. So still I'm confused. 

Sometimes ads are infected. TJ doens't control the ads, he can just do his best to try and pick a reputable ad vendor. Sometimes a bad ad will slip through the cracks. I remember hearing of this before.

It can indeed be the ads, over which TJ has little control. BUT if you have good malware and AV protection, the nasty thing in the ad and the resulting pop-ups should be blocked by those.