Alrexwolf

ANSWERED:Help with Blocking Avatars?

I want to preface this by saying that I do not use adblock for Dragcave... until now. I do not block them on the main site and, until today, I did not have them blocked on the forums.

There is one avatar on this entire site that I cannot stand to see. It moves in a very disturbing way. The problem is that I have no problem with the person with the avatar - I do not want to block them, I want to see their contributions. 

I do not want to make a suggestion to ban .gif avatars over one avatar because that's just not fair imo. And some gif avatars on here are beautiful! 

The problem lies in the fact that I cannot block the one avatar using adblock and have adblock disabled at the same time. 

Does anyone have any advice? Anything would be appreciated.

I did manage to clock a single Avatar - yours for testing - by doing the following:

Right-click the Avatar, select "View Image". That gives me that avatar's exact URL in the address bar.

Copy that to clipboard.

Go to Adblock, click Filter Preferences.

Top right corner, click Add filter.

Enter the just copied address, replace https:// with || (two pipes) and hit Enter.

You won't see that avatar on future forum visits anymore.

Sadly this does not work for me. I must have adblock running and enabled in order for it to filter out anything. Any other suggestions?...

EDIT: Running adblock does make the image go away. However, running it ALSO filters out all ads. Which I do not want to do.

I can get adblock to filter out a specific avatar if it is running, but I cannot run it without turning off all ads.

Edited by Alrexwolf

Is there not a way to turn off avatars in the forums proper? I know at least some forum software has that feature, although I don't know if this is one of them.

Whitelist DC on AdBlock. You can still have the Avatar image itself blocked, but you can Whitelist DC to show Ads on the site.

1 hour ago, Guillotine said:

Is there not a way to turn off avatars in the forums proper? I know at least some forum software has that feature, although I don't know if this is one of them.

You used to be able to do that in the old forum software version, but not anymore. I suppose you could do that nowadays with a user stylesheet (setting class "ipsUserPhoto" to display:none) and a browser extension that lets you use these.

47 minutes ago, Metal-n-Monster said:

Whitelist DC on AdBlock. You can still have the Avatar image itself blocked, but you can Whitelist DC to show Ads on the site.

oh my gosh THANK you so much - this fixed it.

It turns out somewhere along the line DC forums was blacklisted AND whitelisted?? So it cancelled itself out so when I was trying to add new exceptions it had no idea what to do. 

I went through my customize list and found it, finally.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions c: