angelicdragonpuppy

Let dead dragons be unnamed

On 11/9/2017 at 5:45 AM, Ruby Eyes said:

Would be simpler, but some people prefer their dead dragons named (e.g. in deadline lineages).

In light of this, I would support the option to either remove or change the name on a dead dragon.

Not something I would probably use, but hey? What is the harm and the more tools we have the better.

I am surprised we can't already, to be honest.

Poking this request again. Apparently the game keeps track of all the dead stuff on our scroll, even things years dead, so if nothing else add like a user/graveyard link where people could go to find old names and clear them out. 

I was contemplating a deadline recently under the assumption that all the G1s would just be that (deceased) tombstone thing.  It occurred to me that if I did that, I could use only a few base pairs and nobody would ever be the wiser.  My tentative lineage plan mostly focused on the later generations.

My vote is an option to, oh "Erase this dragon's record: permanently deletes this dead dragon from the database. It will appear in lineages as '(deceased)'."  That'd clear out scroll sections, free up the name for re-use, let people breed the entire G2 of an EG deadline from the same pair (but people who take pride in not inbreeding could just not delete their G1s' records)... lots of benefits.

I really didn't know how much this sucks until I started killing older, named dragons, lol. It sounds like such a small thing, but it would be so so helpful if we could unname dead dragons. And yeah, I'm biased because I have 570 (!!) dragons in my 'possible zombie fodder' group and the idea of remembering to unname each one before I kill it, or forgetting and wasting a perfectly good name, is very frustrating.

11 hours ago, Pilauli said:

I was contemplating a deadline recently under the assumption that all the G1s would just be that (deceased) tombstone thing.  It occurred to me that if I did that, I could use only a few base pairs and nobody would ever be the wiser.  My tentative lineage plan mostly focused on the later generations.

My vote is an option to, oh "Erase this dragon's record: permanently deletes this dead dragon from the database. It will appear in lineages as '(deceased)'."  That'd clear out scroll sections, free up the name for re-use, let people breed the entire G2 of an EG deadline from the same pair (but people who take pride in not inbreeding could just not delete their G1s' records)... lots of benefits.

NOT erase it completely; that would delete the lineage and others may WANT to see that.  People asked for that to be changed after the Santa thing..

Though I always hoped that would work here - the retained name thing happened JUST before I finished :(  https://dragcave.net/lineage/73DVe

@HeatherMarie I name my zombie fodder for their codes. Then it doesn't matter what happens after they die.

Poke for Halloween indeed!

This would make my life so much easier, unnaming things one by one is such a pain that I don't mass-unname, it's easy to forget...

It's not only Halloween. There are also dragons who were killed for other reasons, but not by the player themselves.

So I wanted to give my dragons a name and found it taken: https://dragcave.net/view/n/Buchstabensuppe

As you can see, this dragons has not been killed using the Kill action. The owner seems to have vanished from the forums at the same time as this dragon died, now and I can't name my dragon this way :( The name cannot be the reason for it to be killed, really, it's absolutely harmless (it's a dish for kids, soup with letter-shaped pasta in it).

I would very much like to "steal" names of dead dragons of that sort: inactive owner, no progeny, no parents. Can these please get unnamed?

On 9/29/2018 at 4:50 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

I name my zombie fodder for their codes. Then it doesn't matter what happens after they die.

I do the same (actually mostly to remind me not to breed them, because they are all CBs), but it would still be good to have the option of un-naming dead dragons after the fact.

Why hasn't this been implemented yet? There really is no reason why you couldn't unname dead dragons. I really, really want to forget about this one dragon named after a chapter in my life that I just want to erase from my memory, but for as long as I can find the dragon using this particular name, that shameful memory will never leave me. Throwing in my support for this suggestion once again, and I will keep doing it until this is implemented.

I would love such a name purge BSA, too. Long in the past, dead dragons almost completely disappeared from the database and the names got freed automagically, but somewhen that was changed. I was caught with four names that thus got stuck in dead dragon limbo before I realised that dead dragons didn't lose their names any more, and I really would love to reuse them, too!

Still highly support this, please. Doesn't seem like it would be very hard to implement and I can't see a downside to it! No reason to lose good names forever because of a mistake (or ignorance, that's how I lost my first name to a dead dragon).

Support from me, too. Sometimes, it really is a shame if a dragon dies and you really want to use the name for something else that isn't a tombstone. Maybe even add a flavor text to make the unnaming action make sense. "Nobody remembers this dragon's name any more." I'm sure someone could come up with a better wording, but you get the idea. :) 

If it's a concern of finding dead dragons that have otherwise disappeared perhaps a personal graveyard page could be added, showing dead dragons with names (or just all those killed in general since they still do belong to the player) and accessible by a dead dragon's action page?

Just out of curiosity - would it be an issue if permanently dead dragons automatically lose their name after the gravestone disappears?

5 minutes ago, olympe said:

Just out of curiosity - would it be an issue if permanently dead dragons automatically lose their name after the gravestone disappears?

I would like to keep the names on my Zombie fails. I intentionally name them for the case of failure before I kill them, because in every other case (revival / Zombie) I can rename them.

Example (one parent permanently dead, one parent zombified + then renamed):

https://dragcave.net/lineage/SVcHt

I'd like to keep some ghost names - but was not pleased when others stuck !

Some people make "deadline" lineages, or want their gravestones named, so automatically clearing names would be suboptimal in those cases. In my opinion, putting the decision to unname in the hands of the player is the best option.

Although I would like the option to rename altogether in the event someone notices a typo in their deadline after killing, I think it might be best to not allow it. I can see some users using gravestones as nameholders since they don't show up on the scroll, but then completely forgetting they have done so, and potentially forgetting the name entirely.

I made a deadline in the days that dead lineages no longer showed. That was changed JUST as I was making it, so it isn't as dead as I wanted it to be :(

I'm not super into the idea of just blanket removal of the names of dead dragons, because I like seeing the names of dead dragons still present in a deadline lineage. But, I would like an option somehow to be able to change the names of dead dragons - maybe a graveyard scenario like someone above suggested? I'm not sure how that would work necessarily, but something that would allow the player to remove or change the names of dead dragons at their whimsy.

I have a graveborn zombie that has two dead parents, and I had assumed dead dragons just lose their name. Instead, they are in the lineage as "Zom 1" and "Zom 2" which were only meant to be temporary placeholder names. I'd love to have an option to change those names, or at least remove them. If they're going to have names, I want them to be better lol.

Bumpity bumping for support in light of the upcoming time of zombie-making! :D

Especially liking the variation of this where dead dragons may be renamed or unnamed the way the living are!

Edited by JavaTigress

Personally, I think it'd be better if dead dragons could only keep their name or have it removed. I can see that there's a use for naming or renaming tombstones but I don't like that it encourages taking names that have to be unique and putting them on a dead, unusable and undisplayable thing instead of a living dragon. If names weren't limited to being one of a kind I would be okay with it otherwise.

Edited by Shadowdrake

3 hours ago, JavaTigress said:

Bumpity bumping for support in light of the upcoming time of zombie-making! :D

Especially liking the variation of this where dead dragons may be renamed or unnamed the way the living are!

Unnamed? Yes. Renamed? Nope. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Glad to see this is back. I killed some named dragons back in 2013 in zombie attempts, not knowing that the names would stick. It's 2019 and I still wish I could get the names back. I still check their pages every few months to try.