angelicdragonpuppy

Let dead dragons be unnamed

This was suggested before, but I went five pages back and didn't see it.

With Halloween coming and thus the onset of zombie making for most of us, I'd like to ask again for the ability to unname dead dragons. While of course people can simply kill unnamed ones, sometimes people forget that the names stick, or it's otherwise inconvenient (for example, sometimes all my unnamed ones dodge killing and I kill a named one, and removing the name and then replacing it if they also dodge is tedious). I also like to give zombie fodder goofy names to make the tombstones fun scroll decorations, and doing so currently makes those names unusable in future, which is sad.

I think giving dead dragons a REMOVE name option in replacement of the rename option would be the tidiest way to do it. Also, since dead dragons keep their pages now, it would be nice if, were this to be added, there could be a way to view all the dead dragons we own that no longer have tombstones so we could reclaim those names. Maybe a temporary page for just a few months after it's added? Perhaps user/namehere/graveyard?

I agree, makes sound sense. Reclaiming the names is the key.

I'd love that! I have a deadline that got absolutely ruined by me forgetting to remove a name, so i'd hope that a name could be removed from to dragon no matter how long it's been dead.

If we get an option to fix the mistake of not renaming something before killing it, can we please do it with the normal rename action (and not one that is limited to un-naming)?

I have a system in which I just name all the zombie candidates with the names they should have if they remain dead, and it works quite well. But if I ever mess up and accidentally use a name I want for a living (or undead) dragon, I'd hate to have to choose between leaving the name on the dead dragon and having an unnamed dead dragon. I really want my dead dragons to have names.

I would love some way to either remove names from or rename dead dragons. I, too, like to give my zombie fodder goofy names. (This also makes it easier for me to remember which ones I've marked for death. :'D)

;-; I support this, I'm in the group of people that didn't realize the names stuck with them and couldn't be reclaimed.

On 10/11/2017 at 6:52 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I think giving dead dragons a REMOVE name option in replacement of the rename option would be the tidiest way to do it. Also, since dead dragons keep their pages now, it would be nice if, were this to be added, there could be a way to view all the dead dragons we own that no longer have tombstones so we could reclaim those names. Maybe a temporary page for just a few months after it's added? Perhaps user/namehere/graveyard?

I didn't read the thread, so if someone ninja'd me on this, I apologize. But this is possible already. On mobile, at least (I haven't checked on desktop yet) when you go to the Add Dragon thing for a group, it includes dead dragons that you no longer own. I was shocked to see dragons I killed YEARS ago. I'm actually thinking of making a Graveyard group just for funsies, consisting of all the dragons I used to own and killed in the pursuit of zombies. As of a couple days ago it even showed all the eggs I'd grabbed and abandoned to AP during Halloween, or bred to AP. That was one loooooong list. LOL

You can actually remove dead ones from a group if you go TO THAT GROUP'S page, and from there, go to the dead dragon's page and uncheck the group box. I found this out just yesterday when I didn't want to see those deads any more.

On 10/11/2017 at 11:52 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Perhaps user/namehere/graveyard?

This would be awesome I would love to have a scroll graveyard But I would prefer a permanent one. A link could go in stats or groups with an option to hide it for people who don't want it seen. 

Also yes to renaming or unnaming dead dragons I agree that it is necessary

I might be misunderstanding this topic, but wouldn't it be simpler if it just had a default like when a person abandons a dragon into the wilderness? The name is automatically stripped and left as code if the dragon stays dead?

3 hours ago, Nyxity said:

I might be misunderstanding this topic, but wouldn't it be simpler if it just had a default like when a person abandons a dragon into the wilderness? The name is automatically stripped and left as code if the dragon stays dead?

Would be simpler, but some people prefer their dead dragons named (e.g. in deadline lineages).

I definitely support being able to remove names from dead dragons. I had named a batch of halloween freezies and had to leave them fogged while I waited for my freezes to get off cooldown and an unfortunate rl issue caused me to miss freezing one before it died.

While the name itself isn't really anything special or something that can't easily be replicated, I hate feeling like I just wasted a name, and I don't want to use up two names when I could have stuck to only one.

I've also been working on purging some of my lair, most of which had been named, and it'd make the whole process a lot more streamlined if I could just try to kill them and then remove the names from the ones that actually died than having to continually remove names as I try to kill because the ones I already unnamed don't want to die.

I'd love the option to be able to remove names from things that are permanently deceased, along with renaming them. I don't think they should be automatically wiped because some people do want things to remained named even after death for deadline projects or what have you. Instead I like the option to 'rename/remove' like you can with any other normal dragon, I honestly don't understand why this isn't already a feature. 

I fully support unnaming dead dragons.

As for renaming, while I think it would be useful on a gameplay level, on a lore level it makes me uncomfortable. Since you can only use a name once ever, being able to remove the name from a dead dragon and re-use it for the living seems reasonable. But giving the dragon an entirely new, different name? It sort of feels like... corrupting their memory. Imagine if suddenly, your dead relative had a new name on their tombstone. It would be wrong.

(by this logic, unnaming would be wrong too... but since the names aren't re-usable like they are IRL, it feels ok. More like letting the dead dragon live on through the name than trying to change who they were.)

I'm sorry, I get very emotionally attached to these pixels.

Having come back from a long hiatus and apparently having missed the memo that dead dragons aren't cleared anymore, I fully support this 😂

Either unnaming or renaming would be a great solution.

Hard yes on bringing this suggestion back! I've lost many good names to hasty zombie attempts >< I personally really don't care whether it's unname or rename or both, but one of those please!

I name all my zombie fodder with their codes and the word zom. That way - I Do Not Care !

Very very much support being able to unname dead dragons! While I deliberately don't name dragons that I use specifically for zombie fodder, I do have a group of over 400 'possible zombie fodders' that I named long ago. I'll try hard to remember to unname them before killing them, but just last night I needed an extra zombie-fodder because I had 3 dodges, and forgot to unname it before killing. It's not a name I care about losing, but it would be wonderful if we could unname dead things.

12 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I name all my zombie fodder with their codes and the word zom. That way - I Do Not Care !

I know that there is nothing forcing me to lose names to this, but much like HM I sometimes zombify dragons that were not raised as zombie fodder, and already have names. 

It's not a huge ask to unname dead things imo ^^

35 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The thing is—sometimes people forget, or just don’t know any better. It’s kind of a glaring oversight to let names be lost forever just because whoops, a newbie or sleepy or just returned player killed a named dragon without realizing.

A glaring, easily fixed oversight that’s lasted for yearsss. T___T

Why is this not in the game yet? Definite support from me. There's a certain dead dragon floating in the nether with a name I'd rather forget, so I'd love to erase that name for good.

I support it - it's very easy to forget to unname zombie fodder when you're trying to wrangle stubborn dodgy pixels.