Moonlight_Eevee

ANSWERED:Ideas on Limiting Reoccurring Raffle Winners

Now that raffles are back, new people are slowly getting CB prizes. I feel like it's not fair that we have reoccurring winners (ex. Someone has won a Gold tinsel two months in a row now) and that somehow we should have limits in place.

1. Have a cool down for the raffle winners. Like if you won a prize, you won't be able to enter again for, say, 3 months. That way, other people will have a chance to win 

2. Increase the users who can win a prize. 

3. Simply close the raffles down and wait for the store (which may never happen) to open up.

4. Limit two colours per person (example: 2 gold Shimmerscales, 2 silver Shimmerscales, etc.) Like holiday dragons

Thoughts? Ideas?

Edited by Dalek Raptor

Yes please! I certainly don't think winners should never be able to win again, as a few people have said, but I agree that someone winning twice in a row while others haven't won at all is very frustrating. Especially because, while the raffle gives out more prizes each time then it used to, there are still *very* few given out when compared to how many active users there are. I'd support the first idea, which actually makes sense in-game too: These are supposedly very rare dragons, right, at least the CBs are, so finding two in a row shouldn't really be possible. This would still allow multiple wins, but would give users with no wins a better chance as well.

18 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

Yes please! I certainly don't think winners should never be able to win again, as a few people have said, but I agree that someone winning twice in a row while others haven't won at all is very frustrating. Especially because, while the raffle gives out more prizes each time then it used to, there are still *very* few given out when compared to how many active users there are. I'd support the first idea, which actually makes sense in-game too: These are supposedly very rare dragons, right, at least the CBs are, so finding two in a row shouldn't really be possible. This would still allow multiple wins, but would give users with no wins a better chance as well.

I agree! I couldn't have said it better myself.

That being said, I don't think double or even triple winners should feel guilty about "stealing" from others. Everyone should feel excited when they win. I would just like to see more people in the pool of winners, and I think this idea would help with that.

Edited by The Dragoness

Agreed. This isn't about being angry at prize winners, this is not their fault. It's only seeking for a way to make the raffle give more opportunities to those who have had no such luck winning a prize of their own. The fact that it allows for users to still have a chance to win if they already own a prize and how it also makes room for those who have not won yet seems like a plausible option to implement.

Or change the bot that's choosing the winners and likes to throw out same/certain numbers ~~~ rigged

Or everyone gets a prize on new year's day no matter the raffles - those who already won keep the advantage.

Edited by FoxintheBox

We definitely need a change to the raffles. I do like the Cool Down suggestion, which is fair and doesn't punish anyone. We're already limited to 120 Prizes per month (60 of each type). Compare that to the number of players. And then some players have now won multiple Prizes. No, I'm not mad at the winners themselves. They're lucky and can express their happiness all they want! :wub: But the way the raffles are set up now needs to be improved upon. Good idea (the raffles), rough implementation. And that's why we have updates, ladies and gents; to improve upon something.

As of today I am one of the 2nd time winners, and even I agree with this idea. It's been over four and a half years since I won my first prize, so I don't feel that bad about winning my second one today, but if by some miracle I win for a 3rd time in the next few months, I could see myself feeling super guilty. I could just not enter for a little while, but I'll be honest... the temptation is too strong not to. So if there was a cool down period, that temptation would be gone, and the guilt would be less if I were to win again because then I'd feel like it was more fair since I had to wait for a while before entering again.

12 minutes ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

Best solution: get rid of the raffles and open the Store.

Raffles by their very nature are totally unfair.

There is no guarantee that TJ is going to open the store. We're extremely lucky to get the raffles back even if they aren't perfect. I'd prefer to have the raffle right now and maybe close it if the store does really open up

The store is ideal. Raffles have too many issues and therefore are a horrible way of distributing dragons. DC is nice because there aren't any dragons exclusive to real life money, but I'd much rather have that than raffles. So, while I like we're trying to solve one of the raffle issues, there's just too much. Raffles are so flawed that a complete redo of the system of Tinsels and Shimmers is needed. I gotta say that I'd much rather have low gen Prizes die off instead of raffles. Unpopular opinion, probably, but that's how much I dislike raffles.

I prefer the idea of the cooldown. I mean ideally I would like the store because I love the idea of using points I accrue to buy what I choose? But at this point I very much doubt it will ever happen. Or maybe in a few years, if it does. So I'd rather keep what we have and have a slim shot at getting the nice shiny creatures than have zero chance at them at all.

But yes, a cooldown would be great. 3 months seems reasonable.

I've been pushing for The Store (Trader's Canyon) since it's conception. But I personally would say keep both open if The Store were to be implemented. Monthly Raffles alongside The Store. Heck, make the Raffles a part of The Store alongside being able to purchase the Prize dragons. "We sell Prize Dragons, but every month we give everyone a chance to get one for free! Get your Raffle Tickets here! Oh, you've raised 3 Dragons this month? Here, have your ticket!"

I'm just trying to think of the most fair way to allow more people obtain them. The "Cool Down" seems to be the most fair. It does give others a chance to win, and it doesn't punish those who do. I really don't mind some people with multiple Prizes; they're lucky af and I am jealous of their luck! Have any of y'all bought a Powerball ticket yet? Jk jk.

I happened to have stumbled in here by chance & I have to say, it's upsetting to know there are some peeps out there who've won twice in a row. That said, I don't think they should be punished for it, & after reading through everyone's response, I think a cool down period is a good idea. I like the idea of raffles as I don't like the idea of having to do things like playing games to get money or points in order to buy things, like prize dragons as those with tons of time will have the advantage compared to those of us whose time is limited. Plus I know I'd be extremely annoyed if I need to amass X-number of points/money to get something (which took me forever) only to find out that the store was closed permanently. Not everyone likes playing games.

1. The idea behind the store was to award points for doing something you're doing anyway. (i.e. raise dragons)

2. If it's ever implemented the idea is to have a cap on points per month so people who have tons of time to "grind" don't get an advantage over more casual players.

3. We have no idea if the store will ever be implemented.

The cooldown is not a horrible idea as long as it's not too long, but random is random and "clumping" - fortuitously having the same or close numbers show up from drawing to drawing is just part of random. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the random number generator TJ is using, or he'd be finding a different one. They got lucky, the rest of us did not. Maybe we'll be the lucky ones next time. Be happy for them and remember your life is not ruined just because you didn't win a prize dargon.

I think a cooldown would be great, but maybe if you raised more dragons, you could get more tickets? Maybe doubling the amount needed every time? 

9 minutes ago, mouse050909 said:

but maybe if you raised more dragons, you could get more tickets? Maybe doubling the amount needed every time? 

I have nothing against double or triple winners, but to maximize first time winners,  I don't think this would help much. Past winners could get multiple tickets just like the rest of us and the cycle would continue as it does now. 

I do think that changing the entry requirements every month or every few months would be great though! Right now, it's extremely easy and doesn't really require any sort of work.

Edited by The Dragoness

Or maybe if you won a prize dragon, you would have to raise 6 dragons the next month after the cooldown ends, and have the number double or triple from there. 

7 hours ago, Marie19R said:

Yes please! I certainly don't think winners should never be able to win again, as a few people have said, but I agree that someone winning twice in a row while others haven't won at all is very frustrating.

Randomness is frustrating but fair. I am 72 years old and in all my life, taking part in all sorts of raffles for all kinds of stuff - for schools, charities, dragon eggs, books, a few lottery tickets - I have won one entire CD - nearly ten years ago now. But I still have nothing against them.

3 hours ago, Cinnamin Draconna said:

Best solution: get rid of the raffles and open the Store.

Raffles by their very nature are totally unfair.

No - they are frustrating - but not unfair. (Sure I'd like the store. But raffles ARE fair.)

35 minutes ago, Fiona said:

1. The idea behind the store was to award points for doing something you're doing anyway. (i.e. raise dragons)

2. If it's ever implemented the idea is to have a cap on points per month so people who have tons of time to "grind" don't get an advantage over more casual players.

3. We have no idea if the store will ever be implemented.

The cooldown is not a horrible idea as long as it's not too long, but random is random and "clumping" - fortuitously having the same or close numbers show up from drawing to drawing is just part of random. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the random number generator TJ is using, or he'd be finding a different one. They got lucky, the rest of us did not. Maybe we'll be the lucky ones next time. Be happy for them and remember your life is not ruined just because you didn't win a prize dragon.

This. I suspect I will never win. It's not the end of the world. And whatever else, it isn't unfair. And if we complain enough - TJ may stop the raffles again. At least at the moment, there is a chance of getting a CB prize (and I have to say - three friends of mine HAVE won since it started.)

It may not be *technically* "unfair", IF it's truly random (and we have no way of knowing if the random generator has any type of biases, whether intentional or not). However, that doesn't mean it isn't frustrating, and that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved on. The fact that some people are winning multiple times, and multiple times in a *row*, while others have never won at all, maybe there is something there that could be tweaked. We aren't saying we want to punish winners, or bar them from winning again, but I do feel like there should be some sort of priority given to those who have never won at all.

6 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

It may not be *technically* "unfair", IF it's truly random (and we have no way of knowing if the random generator has any type of biases, whether intentional or not). However, that doesn't mean it isn't frustrating, and that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved on. The fact that some people are winning multiple times, and multiple times in a *row*, while others have never won at all, maybe there is something there that could be tweaked. We aren't saying we want to punish winners, or bar them from winning again, but I do feel like there should be some sort of priority given to those who have never won at all.

Oh as one who has thousands of un-won raffles to her credit (and run using all kinds of different RNGs, I assume) I absolutely agree - priority should be given to ME. XD But basically - that's what all us non-winners are saying  :lol: With the support of some winners too, I agree.

The trouble is that none of us actually knows the mechanics, TJ can hardly be expected to tell us, and I have no idea how complicated it would be to programme in tweaks. And I for one can live with it.

10 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

Oh as one who has thousands of un-won raffles to her credit (and run using all kinds of different RNGs, I assume) I absolutely agree - priority should be given to ME. XD But basically - that's what all us non-winners are saying  :lol: With the support of some winners too, I agree.

The trouble is that none of us actually knows the mechanics, TJ can hardly be expected to tell us, and I have no idea how complicated it would be to programme in tweaks. And I for one can live with it.

As Someone who actually has a CB Prize, if someone asked me to skip a few raffles, I would gladly give others a chance but like Forest said, the urge to enter is too strong. 

But if we had something in place, it would be great.

Edited by Dalek Raptor

I'd like for the winner pool to increase or I could support the temporary cool down. I'd prefer it to be a shorter cooldown of one month to prevent direct consecutive wins. I would also be okay with more raffles. One at the beginning and one at the end of the month. While I love the store idea, I don't think it's a good idea to take away raffles in the hope of having the store come to be. 

No support.

I understand the frustration. I'm in the majority who haven't won a prize and it's rather annoying to see people winning the lottery twice while most of us haven't once. But at the same time, there's six possible prize variations. If I was in their shoes, I'd be super happy to win any prize, but also be sad if it wasn't my favorite one and I had to wait months for another slim chance to get my favorite. Yes, "first world problems" in dragon land, but still annoying.

Rather, like so many others, I want the store added. It solves so many problems, from prize and old holiday availability to even issues finding specific commons or old players not having gotten a single CB metal in years of play. Even with the store winning a prize would be a big deal, because that's a hugely expensive dragon you just got free, but at the same time seeing people winning the raffle multiple times wouldn't feel quite so bitter. Also halting the lotto until a store appears is a terrible idea--it might never come, in which case we just lost all CB prize availability, and even if it DOES come it was a sad lack of new blood in between.

Ahem, that being said... I do think maybe TJ should peek into the RNG being used and the probabilities of people winning multiple times, because if the D.C. userbase is as big as it seems to be, it does seem rather strange number wise that a good handful of people have won multiple times already, even when you factor in that only active players who remember to enter are in the lotto now.

@Jazeki a raffle at month start and end would mean two raffles immediately in succession followed by a month long wait, haha. Maybe midway through a month. Personally I think the current number and frequency is fine. I mean, wouldn't object to more, but not worried about the current either. Maybe because I still have faith in a shop. :P 

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

@angelicdragonpuppy- True. It's more of a pipe dream really, seeing as we've just now moved to monthly raffles and I'm sure those are hard work. I'm in favor of adding things instead of taking them away, though. Even if the idea of two raffles is a bit unrealistic. 

I do very much think that the store would solve several DC issues (multiple prize winners in an exclusive raffle, access to old CB holidays, modifying play styles to get what you want, a worrisome trade market), but I think that we should consider other options as well. At the very least, this thread will hopefully encourage TJ to consider looking into how winners are chosen. Though, we really only know based on the users who are active and choose to post in the raffle thread.  TJ may have some insight into something we are missing (like when a person enters or something like that).