TJ09

2017-09-30 - September Dragon Release

I dunno why I feel compelled to share this, but a neat little tidbit about what we do as artists:

A lot of us work with what we call sprite proportions. It's tricky learning how to fit sprites within size constraints while preserving detail and highlighting breed features. Well, one way we do this as artists is by compressing some dragon body parts and by exaggerating others. Wings are usually downsized and heads and necks upsized. The Bauta, for instance, has very large heads and kind of puny wings. Given its bulky build, its wings could never in a million years generate enough lift to fly as drawn. Well, sometimes we just have to suspend disbelief for the sake of neat art and ideas. I've attached a silhouette of what I imagine to be a better proportioned Bauta for comparison to the one we have on site. Even so, its wings would still be on the small side! Just a trick of the trade for all you aspiring artists out there! Thanks for the warm reception, guys.

shapes.gif

Wow, that's so cool Marri! I know absolutely nothing about spriting, so that's a really awesome behind-the-scenes look.

"Alexandrites are amazing gemstones for jewelry, because faceted gems undergo a dramatic color change in different types of light. An example of this property is shown at the left. In warm indoor incandescent or candle lighting, this gem is a rich purplish red color.  In bright daylight, it is greenish blue. To see the extremes of the color change one would need to be in environments in which these light sources are pure, but nonetheless, significant color difference can easily be observed in various lighting"..Dunno if this is the concept but it's all i could find.... 

remarkable... Thank you for the enlightenment,  Marrionetta...

It is like professional comedians that I have known.  We all think that they just get up on stage and start making us laugh...  It ain't easy, my friends.  I've personally seen how some of them have added to their acts over a period of time and how they get their ideas from things that they come across in their everyday lives..   A relative owns a comedy club not far from where I live and I get in for free and can visit in the 'green room' and at my relatives house. 

Like the artists and spriters in here, there is a lot of time and effort that goes on behind the scenes and Dragons... 

Even TJ has to work at it to make this all come together for our pleasure.

I appreciate them all, Thank you...

2 hours ago, littleangelamy22 said:

There have actually been loads in the AP all day. No idea why but I've snagged half of my new release eggs from there!

Probably people who filled up on the reds and dropped some hoping for a green.  I got one off the AP myself.

Interesting to hear the intention behind the proportions! Personally I often prefer small heads and big wings/bodies (like blusangs and solstices) since it makes the dragon look more realistically large and "mature," but if you have details to show on the head I suppose it's important.

1 hour ago, geminia said:

"Alexandrites are amazing gemstones for jewelry, because faceted gems undergo a dramatic color change in different types of light. An example of this property is shown at the left. In warm indoor incandescent or candle lighting, this gem is a rich purplish red color.  In bright daylight, it is greenish blue. To see the extremes of the color change one would need to be in environments in which these light sources are pure, but nonetheless, significant color difference can easily be observed in various lighting"..Dunno if this is the concept but it's all i could find.... 

So normally I would assume this means that the greens drop during the day, but since we know that isn't the case... Well, I was ggoing to say that it might need summer before I remembered thatthat DC has the opposite hemisphere to me... Dunno, maybe the eggs only turn green omce they've been left for a certain amount of time, like we have to hatch them late, Neglected style?

3 minutes ago, Ninjakittee said:

So normally I would assume this means that the greens drop during the day, but since we know that isn't the case... Well, I was ggoing to say that it might need summer before I remembered thatthat DC has the opposite hemisphere to me... Dunno, maybe the eggs only turn green omce they've been left for a certain amount of time, like we have to hatch them late, Neglected style?

Or maybe it will be time of day bred, since time of day CB doesn't seem to matter.

They grew up!! 

I'm really enjoying the Bauta's <3 

6 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

Wikipedia says:

... So you're saying we have to shoot cosmic rays at the red ones to make them produce green eggs?

5 hours ago, plumpernuff said:

From the internet:

"Chrysoberyl displays the "Alexandrite Effect" where the stone looks green in daylight (rich in blue light) and red in candle light (rich in red light). (Comparision of the two together.) This effect is most obvious in thick stones, and is due to the substitution of Cr+++ for Al+++."

Does this mean it's a day/night thing? Is it like the Nocturne where it turns green in the day? Certainly something to ponder.

Spinel is different than chrysoberyl, so shooting cosmic rays at it doesn't make sense.  Nor does a color change.  It's probably something else.  I did find this: "The high water content of the magma made it possible for the crystals to grow quickly, so pegmatite crystals are often quite large and this is of course important for gem specimens. Chrysoberyl is always accompanied by quartz. It occurs in granite pegmatites and mica schists and in contact with metamorphic deposits of dolomitic marble. It is also recovered from river sands and gravels in alluvial deposits with corundum, spinel, garnet and tourmaline.

Meaning that they both come from similar areas. 

Also from wikipedia:

Some gemstones falsely described as lab-grown synthetic alexandrite are actually corundum laced with trace elements (e.g., vanadium) or color-change spinel and are not actually chrysoberyl. 

Alternate souce:

However, spinel is nondichroic and has a distinctly lower R.I. (1.73).

No clue what that means though

16 minutes ago, Nectaris said:

Or maybe it will be time of day bred, since time of day CB doesn't seem to matter.

Once someone's Spinels grow up, they'll be able to test it. :) 

3 minutes ago, mouse050909 said:

Once someone's Spinels grow up, they'll be able to test it. :) 

I am aware, but I can speculate as much as anyone else.

Or it's possibly something like a lumina, which sheds its scales if bred from certain dragons.

Chrysoberyl that exhibits a distinct change of color from red under candlelight or tungsten-filament incandescent bulbs to green in daylight or fluorescent illumination is called alexandrite. The name is applicable only when a distinct color change is visible. Many stones are offered as alexandrite, even though they do not have a distinct color change.

Except the change is permanent and dragons are different.

Imo, if this were the case, I'd go with sunstone, sunrise and sunset.

Oh! The new dragons are so lovely~

Thank you TJ and spriters!

I'm assuming with all this stone talk we have an idea for how to get Green Spinels?

Too bad they aren't Spinaches, lol. 😂

I really hope that it isn't a special breeding time, because I really really want the Greens to be obtainable as CB. I love them and I'd love to do a lineage with them (maybe with Dark Lumina and DEFINITELY with Snows) but I dislike having different base dragons. It's why I only have one hybrid project despite really liking a lot of the hybrids.

Either way, they're both gorgeous dragons! :wub:

The Spinel sprites are super gorgeous! ^o^ I actually prefer the standard red ones, but the green are pretty as well. Also, lovely description. c:

Tbh, if I was ever going to hoard a breed, it'd be Spinels!

I just saw the new adult dragons for the first time. They are so gorgeous, more beautiful than I had imagines. I have to get tons more of them. Thank you TJ and Spriters :)

Thank you for another great release! I love the new dragons, but I really love the red Spinel. The green is pretty and I'm happy to have another two headed breed to work with, but there's just something about the red Spinel that I can't help but adore.

4 hours ago, geminia said:

Sooo....is it black and blue? Or white and gold? - sorry, old joke is old. :P But That Is Really Awesome.

Um, did anyone figure out how to get the greeeeen ones?

5 minutes ago, IOU said:

Um, did anyone figure out how to get the greeeeen ones?

no one knows yet. Tomorrow the release day hatchies will grow up, and people can then try to breed them or see if they have some special BSA

OK, I tend to put my eggs on Eggs Around The World and I have gone a few times over the past day and looked at their give-views page, and I tell ya, I have not seen one single solitary green Chrysoberyl dragon Spinel Wyvern.  Not one.  I really feel these are breed-only.  And that's okay with me, I'm just saying, for that many red/purple ones to have shown up and not one green?  And the sprites are the exact same shape?  Yeah... I don't think you can hatch them from the cave.

Now it could be that you can only get greens by either breeding them during daylight hours or making sure they hatch during that time.  But they're still going to be breed-only.  I will be very surprised if it turns out I'm wrong.  I mean, golds and silvers are pretty rare... and I see them there all the time.  Including caveborns.

Edited by danaseilhan

They certainly aren't dropping right now, or we'd have seen some of them. Nothing's that rare. They could definitely be breed-only, it's looking likely by this point, but there's also a chance that the colour in the cave changes over time, like with Lunar Heralds or Fire Gems. Maybe they're only available a few days a month or something.