TJ09

2017-09-30 - September Dragon Release

Yeesh, had two Spinels mature so far, both no interest. Have you two forgotten you're new releases? >:/ I hope this isn't a sign of bad things to come.

Glad the mechanism of alting is known and easily doable, but also sad there won't be CBs. Someone posted an absolutely gorgeous striped river x green spinel mock up and it won't look half so good with reds in the CB line--especially not when I'll also have to throw in an extra earth related breed. Ah well. *Places them sadly in the corner of 'pretty alt / hybrid / such-and-suchs that are not good for lineage making'* </3 ;____;

One gave me no interest, the other gave me a purple egg. However, I think they look really nice with Scripts. I like purple :lol:

1 hour ago, kiramaru7 said:

Fuzzbucket, *points up* CursedFlamed said TCA confirmed it in DC Discord.

Earth alignment for GREEN Spinels. No-one has said reds are - and that was what aleolo was asking.

I did - and got a red: https://dragcave.net/progeny/RpAAe

But it should be possible to get a green as well, right? Since Spinels are supposed to be Earth aligned?

Since members are starting to get adults (and we're figuring out how to get Green Spinels! Yes!) I'll go ahead and close this thread. For more new release discussions, please check out the Spinel Breeding Plans and Bauta Breeding Plans threads. TCA, thank you for all the species info on the Spinels! Marrionetta, thank you for the Bautas, and TJ, thank you for the release.

On 10/4/2017 at 12:22 PM, TCA said:

Tiiiime for breed info on Spinels, minus anything that'd reveal how to get green ones!

Spinels were technically not sketched! They were my first attempt at simply blocking out a sprite silhouette and then refining it into a proper dragon. While in that initial phase, I was originally trying to design a Pyralspite/Trihorn hybrid! However, I later decided to instead make them a separate breed with similarities to Pyralspites caused by convergent evolution. The green ones were designed after that point.

They were my second sprite set completed after I got in cave, after the original Scripts; yeah, that means they are an older sprite than the Script redesign.

Spinel dragons, unlike Pyralspites, can't tell gems apart by taste; they do, however, have a sense for it, it's just more of a magical intuition sort of sense. They line their nests with the gems and with fragments of Earth mana. They cannot breathe fire, and their main methods of self-defense are kicking with sharp talons (think like a cassowary), biting, or simply fleeing. They enjoy high heat, love riding on warm air currents, and don't thermoregulate well in cold climates. They're slightly smaller than the smallest Pyralspites in body size, though the green Chrysoberyl variants do grow larger and match the average Spessartine. They choose mates based mostly on two things: how well their personalities mesh, and how shiny their mate's scales are, not including the white underside, which is duller so they don't attract the attention of grounded predators. As the green variant's scales are naturally iridescent, the green ones attract all of the ladies (or men).

Like Pyralspites, they have fine, pebbly scales; unlike Pyralspites, their skin is rough and almost sharp when rubbed opposite the grain, almost like a shark's. They're not nearly as intelligent as Pyralspites, and while they're certainly a good bit more intelligent than, say, drakes, trying to explain concepts to them that they don't have some grasp of by instinct is largely a wasted effort. Spinels are very social, and tend to understand social and interpersonal things very well, except they don't understand monogamy. They do not understand complex magic, scientific principles, or arithmetic beyond addition/subtraction with small amounts. They DO have a strong sense of what it means to be tricked, lied to, or betrayed, though, so... don't let them find out you've done that. Seriously. They live in groups and they will get the entire group riled up to never speak to you again, or in a worst-case scenario, to attack you on sight.

They're mostly herbivorous, but will gladly eat eggs, insects, or already-killed meat opportunistically. They've been known to swallow stones to aid in the digestion of exceptionally tough plant matter. Cicadas are their favorite food.

The hatchlings are very playful and impressionable, and like Pyrals are fairly mobile and able to start taking care of themselves very early on. They can keep themselves occupied for hours with a neat rock. Overall this breed is pretty approachable and generally happy. If you were walking around in the wilderness and came across a Spinel and greeted them nicely it would make their day and they would try their hardest to be your new best friend.

Adding this to the last page so it's easier to find.