TJ09

2017-09-30 - September Dragon Release

Well apparently these are still wonderfully easy to get in the biomes, just got three two-heads hardly even trying... Clicked three, got all three, didn't even get any already taken messages. I actually didn't mean to lock myself with three more, I thought I'd only get like one, lol.

I'm also very happy that they are still rather easy to grab. It's a good thing the red ones are so stunning, I'm not so anxious to find about the greens now when I'm busy hoarding them!

I'm thinking bred too, or a bsa on the eggs. At first I thought incubating them , would make the eggs "think" they are in direct sunlight and change color, but if that was the case we would already know, as I'm pretty sure some people have already incubated their eggs. So breeding seems to be the most logic explanation. A bsa is possible , but it is a long shot as we'd need to wait for a future bsa dragon, which has never happened I think. (Getting a bsa connected egg before getting the bsa) except if the spinels have a bsa themselfs which seems highly unlikely.

@geminia I incubated all of the new eggs and there happened no such thing. Also, the description suggests that the green dragons are found less often, only "occasionally", so I doubt it is a BSA of their own. But we'll have to wait and see.

P.S.: Just noticed your signature. My children are about the same age as yours. <3

@Solanatsea I thought so. There's no way no one would have incubated them. So it seems it has to do with breeding. Either the time or parents. I wish they were cb though. Oh well we shall wait and see.

How do you cope with the kids? Lol . I sometimes don't and freak out. They are both boys so they always find ways to keep me busy . There are times that I think "oh gosh , no food for us today" as they won't even let me cook. Lol but I somehow always manage to do stuff, surprising myself 

SWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love them! Cool poses and colors!  

I accidental was given Alexandrite, the gifter thought it was a Ruby but when I opened it and the color was Purple.

He was upset and thought he had been bait & switched; in reality he hadn't paid close attention to the sales person.

Upon our return to the store and *listening* to the lady describe the stone, I fell in LOVE with it.

Thanks TCA and Marionetta.

Oh, I *love* these new dragons!  Especially the Spinels.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the different colors are some kind of time-related mechanic, because not having CB green Spinels would be a tragedy!  Seasonal, moon-phased, odd-numbered-months-only, whatever!  It's worth some cogitating to have CBs of such gorgeous dragons - not that the red ones aren't also gorgeous and I'm not already planning lineages in my head, but I'm slightly partial to cool colors over warm ones, and the greens are just *extra* lovely! 

The Bautas are very pretty, too - love the horns, and the wing spikes (though I hope they don't stab themselves by accident when flapping...) and the "mask" shape of their golden crests!

Wow. I am so glad the purple Spinels are the common ones. They are soooooo lovely! Can't wait for my hatchies to mature.

I'll have  my first adult spinel in about 14 hours. I want to try them with LoS coppers. Both desert/volcano, both earth element, both wyverns. Seems like a nice match to me. lol - copper jewelry with gemstones.

I'll have my first adult spinel in 14 hours too, which will be sorta late in my time zone, but I will definitely be staying up on the off-chance that I'll be able to breed a green right away. I have three Bauta eggs that will (hopefully, if the hatcheries work alright) be hatched by the time I get home from work.

Just saw the adults, these are beautiful, good job spriters.

That last line of the Spinel's bio definitely makes me think they'll just be bred alts, hopefully they'll be like the Undines which produced plenty of alts when they first came out.

On 10/1/2017 at 1:52 PM, TCA said:

For the sake of the fun of it, I don't want to say whether it's 100% new, reused from another breed entirely, or something that's an altered twist on an existing mechanic.

But also for the sake of the fun of it, nobody but TJ has a green new release dragon.

(Red text is always true. Reference to a visual novel I recently finished.)

This seems to say it could still be a special timing in cave dynamic, OR it could be bred alts. It's still up in the air, until TCA discloses or someone discovers the truth. Even if someone should have bred one shortly after midnight cave time, it will still be possible there is a time it can drop in the cave. I really hope they will drop in cave, but we'll have to wait to see. 

Edited by raindear

Currently testing myand theory on a Neglect style change (sun exposure, leaving the eggs for longer). I don't think it's very likely but it's worth trying - I'm desperate for CB green Spinels! I want to breed them with the Snows!

Tiiiime for breed info on Spinels, minus anything that'd reveal how to get green ones!

Spinels were technically not sketched! They were my first attempt at simply blocking out a sprite silhouette and then refining it into a proper dragon. While in that initial phase, I was originally trying to design a Pyralspite/Trihorn hybrid! However, I later decided to instead make them a separate breed with similarities to Pyralspites caused by convergent evolution. The green ones were designed after that point.

They were my second sprite set completed after I got in cave, after the original Scripts; yeah, that means they are an older sprite than the Script redesign.

Spinel dragons, unlike Pyralspites, can't tell gems apart by taste; they do, however, have a sense for it, it's just more of a magical intuition sort of sense. They line their nests with the gems and with fragments of Earth mana. They cannot breathe fire, and their main methods of self-defense are kicking with sharp talons (think like a cassowary), biting, or simply fleeing. They enjoy high heat, love riding on warm air currents, and don't thermoregulate well in cold climates. They're slightly smaller than the smallest Pyralspites in body size, though the green Chrysoberyl variants do grow larger and match the average Spessartine. They choose mates based mostly on two things: how well their personalities mesh, and how shiny their mate's scales are, not including the white underside, which is duller so they don't attract the attention of grounded predators. As the green variant's scales are naturally iridescent, the green ones attract all of the ladies (or men).

Like Pyralspites, they have fine, pebbly scales; unlike Pyralspites, their skin is rough and almost sharp when rubbed opposite the grain, almost like a shark's. They're not nearly as intelligent as Pyralspites, and while they're certainly a good bit more intelligent than, say, drakes, trying to explain concepts to them that they don't have some grasp of by instinct is largely a wasted effort. Spinels are very social, and tend to understand social and interpersonal things very well, except they don't understand monogamy. They do not understand complex magic, scientific principles, or arithmetic beyond addition/subtraction with small amounts. They DO have a strong sense of what it means to be tricked, lied to, or betrayed, though, so... don't let them find out you've done that. Seriously. They live in groups and they will get the entire group riled up to never speak to you again, or in a worst-case scenario, to attack you on sight.

They're mostly herbivorous, but will gladly eat eggs, insects, or already-killed meat opportunistically. They've been known to swallow stones to aid in the digestion of exceptionally tough plant matter. Cicadas are their favorite food.

The hatchlings are very playful and impressionable, and like Pyrals are fairly mobile and able to start taking care of themselves very early on. They can keep themselves occupied for hours with a neat rock. Overall this breed is pretty approachable and generally happy. If you were walking around in the wilderness and came across a Spinel and greeted them nicely it would make their day and they would try their hardest to be your new best friend.

Both of these guys look excellent! I think the color schemes work really well and I'm sure there are going to be a lot of really nice lineages with them. I'm kind of sad that I won't be able to breed the two-head with this years valentine because I think that they would look great together. I'm crossing my fingers that the green spinels can be caveborn at some point just for lineage sake, but I'd accept them as lovely bred alts also I guess.

Eeeee! Friendly pretty shinies! Spinels can be my new best friend, I'm okay with it :wub:

EDIT: Whoever added my Spinel eggs to a hatchery - DON'T DO THAT

Edited by Ninjakittee

21 minutes ago, Marrionetta said:

Noooo not the cute wittle cicadas! ):

Oh, but think of all the fat spinels during cyclical periodicity

39 minutes ago, TCA said:

[...] Overall this breed is pretty approachable and generally happy. If you were walking around in the wilderness and came across a Spinel and greeted them nicely it would make their day and they would try their hardest to be your new best friend.

I love this ♥ happy, friendly and passionate dragons are my favorite! Thank you TCA for such a pretty design and this piece of information, makes me like the breed even more. Now to crack the mystery that is the greenies...

These new babies are SO pretty! Although I'm not a fan of two headed, I need to hoard this one, Marri you sprited such a gorgeous beast :wub:

Love the ones by TCA too! (sorry the name escapes me right now, old and tired) And I bet the green ones will be bred only, since TJ is the only one with a green CB, just like alt black, alt vines and all the hybrids.

4 hours ago, TCA said:

They DO have a strong sense of what it means to be tricked, lied to, or betrayed, though, so... don't let them find out you've done that. Seriously. They live in groups and they will get the entire group riled up to never speak to you again, or in a worst-case scenario, to attack you on sight.

I love this so freaking much. I love that they are friendly and social, that's awesome, but I also like that they carry grudges like that. It makes their personality more complex. (And yay for a dragon that doesn't understand monogamy!)

See, to me this is one of the best things about new releases. Even a sprite that I may not care for all that much can completely win me over when I read about their personality and quirks. Makes me feel more attached to them.

5 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

I love this so freaking much. I love that they are friendly and social, that's awesome, but I also like that they carry grudges like that. It makes their personality more complex. (And yay for a dragon that doesn't understand monogamy!)

See, to me this is one of the best things about new releases. Even a sprite that I may not care for all that much can completely win me over when I read about their personality and quirks. Makes me feel more attached to them.

Why would that be a yay? Most animals don't, I'm more charmed by the ones that do XD (even if I feel bad pairing them with lots of mates anyway haha)