HeatherMarie

links in forum messages/sigs go to topic being viewed

I've noticed this for awhile now, and I vaguely remember it being mentioned by a few users after the forum change, but I can't find an actual Help topic about it. Often, links that I assume are supposed to lead somewhere else actually lead to the very page you are on. I've seen this in sig links as well as in links put into comments. The one I'm looking at right now is in the recent Spam topic in Fan Sites Don't know if this link will work.

Earth Gurl posted a link to the board rules in her message, but the link doesn't go to the board rules, it goes right back to that same topic. I'm assuming that she did indeed put a link to the board rules in the message, but somehow the forum messed it up? This has been happening for awhile now, can anything be done?

Well, we don't know where Earth Gurl picked up her link from, so ... unless you can re-create this very same issue yourself, it's kind of difficult to pinpoint the exact issue.

Signature links that go to the topic you're in are likely those that the user hasn't updated since the forum change. In the page source, the "href" values for these are empty, so the link goes to the current page by default.

I've seen the same thing happen after the forum upgrade. I assumed the upgrade broke some "old forum code" links. Like in your example Earth Gurl posted a link to http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=boardrules, but that link doesn't seem to exist in the new forum so it doesn't redirect properly.

edit: or what Tabs said basically. :P

Edited by Terces

The link she posted actually shows the thread as the target. Lemme test:

https://forums.dragcave.net/guidelines/

That should go to what used to be called the rules - I hope. But  Terces linked takes you to the main page, not to this thread - so I think probably Earth Gurl slipped up. That said - there is something that needs fixing, if boardrules goes to the main page. It SHOULD just give a 404, if the link doesn't exist.