PinkRozes

suggestion for scroll names

I'm still sorta newish to dragon cave so sorry for any mistakes. Anyway I have an idea that would making trading and gifting waaaaay more simple. A lot of people get upset when they don't get a thanks for an egg and can't see who took it. Some people like to keep track of who they trade with to. So what if we made it impossible to hide username on scrolls?? Like nothing is going to happen to your eggs. This feature really only helps people with a bunch of fake scrolls in my opinion. It just makes people look like they have something to hide and thats not fair to other players. I don't really see why we need it....

I really wasnt expecting this to blow up...people have even sent me pms about how "stupid" I am....I didn't mean that I wanna to take away the feature for hiding scrolls. I just don't understand why usernames cant be shown all the time. It was just a little idea I had.... :|

this is why I never post here....my ideas always suck

Edited by PinkRozes

No.

Something IS going to happen to your eggs. Eggs, and hatchlings, can die from too many views - this is the reason people hide their scrolls in the first place. Viewbombing is an awful, very real problem. Not even just with rare or expensive eggs, either - sometimes people just get a feather in their fedora about someone else and want to make their life miserable forever. No egg is safe in a situation like that, not even your most common messy lineaged ones.

If you want to know who you traded what egg to, keep track yourself in a spreadsheet - google sheets is free and awesome for this. If someone you traded to hides their scroll eventually, that's their right. You can keep a list of "blacklisted," people not to trade with if you're really that concerned. 

No support. 

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. Are you for removing the option to hide scrolls or hoping to make it a must that usernames are shown? Those are two very different things. Yes, eggs are technically safe when your scroll is hidden but your username is visible, but not everyone is comfortable with that idea.

No support here either. People CAN track where their eggs go if they want to by offering a two way trade for a dummy egg. But if people aren't happy gifting if they don't get a thank you - don't gift. Simples.

This thread might give you pause for thought:

WE NEED to be able to hide our scrolls when viewbombing is going on. We need to be able to hide out names on our dragons when we are being harassed to breed. And that's just two reasons I say no way.

And how would it help detect multiscrolling ? 17 different names - how does being able to see all those scroll names tell you that they all belong to one player ?

Sorry, but I'd leave the game if that ever happened. My scroll name is not linked on my dragons and it will remain not linked on my dragons. I don't hide my scroll usually, only because my scroll name is not linked on my dragons and is not the same as my forum name so unless you know me you can't readily find my scroll.

You've never had a problem with viewbombing, have you? You say "nothing is going to happen to your eggs", you've obviously never had a very special or rare egg die on you because a mean person deliberately viewbombed it and killed it. That is a *very* real problem that happens fairly often in this game. If you decline a trade offer, or decline to breed for someone, or sometimes just for no dang reason at all, sometimes users will get angry with you and deliberately give your dragons tons and tons of views in order to make it sick and kill it. It *does* happen, very often, especially if you happen to have a rare dragon growing on your scroll. People need the option to hide their username, or hide their scroll, in order to make sure that doesn't happen. (And even then there are still ways for it to happen)

I definitely don't see how this would help with multiscrolling in any way. Multiscrolling means one person having more then one scroll.... You can't tell just by looking at scroll-names if two or more scrolls belong to the same person. This wouldn't help with that at all.

Please read the suggestion-thread that Fuzz linked to, that is also a suggestion for showing usernames somewhere, and is being shot down by many people for many similar reasons.

No. If people are private about their own scroll affairs and want to hide them, let them be. If TJ didn't want people to hide their scrolls, we wouldn't have that option available in the first place. If you don't want people to take your dragons without thanking you for them, you have several options that don't involve forcing people to share their scroll names if they don't want to. You can choose to:

-not gift at all

-use a trade link instead of a transfer link and ask for a dummy egg/hatchling

-arrange your trades and gifts via PM

-use TJ's take an egg/leave an egg link

-gift via Discord or IRC

If you suspect a user of multi-scrolling, then contact a mod or TJ directly and let them handle it. 

2 hours ago, PinkRozes said:

I really wasnt expecting this to blow up...people have even sent me pms about how "stupid" I am....I didn't mean that I wanna to take away the feature for hiding scrolls. I just don't understand why usernames cant be shown all the time. It was just a little idea I had.... :|

I would never have said you were stupid - but  I will agree that THIS idea shouldn't fly - if a scroll is hidden you can't see the dragons anyway, so how does it help to see a user name on an unhidden scroll - you can look at the whole scroll. We can't see your dragons, I gather - name showing or not.

More to the point - I cannot see how it would make trading easier. Can you explain that ?

2 hours ago, PinkRozes said:

I'm still sorta newish to dragon cave so sorry for any mistakes. Anyway I have an idea that would making trading and gifting waaaaay more simple. A lot of people get upset when they don't get a thanks for an egg and can't see who took it. Some people like to keep track of who they trade with to. So what if we made it impossible to hide username on scrolls?? Like nothing is going to happen to your eggs. This feature really only helps people with a bunch of fake scrolls in my opinion. It just makes people look like they have something to hide and thats not fair to other players. I don't really see why we need it....

If you have received PMs like that you should contact a mod. It is against forum rules to launch a personal attack like that.

The ability to hide scroll usernames is a protective measure and is a feature that I feel is necessary.  I too have been targeted by abusive behavior in the past.

OP, thank you for your suggestion.  As always, if you suspect someone is cheating, you can feel free to contact any mod and we will look into it.  I will close this topic at this time.