Jump to content
StarSea

Heart of Blue - WIP Fansite

Recommended Posts

This is already the best lineage builder but I'm really excited for the hatchery and wishlists to come along :)

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for all of your responses, everyone! <3 I'm going to leave the poll open for just a few more days and then we'll take a look at what we've got.

Also that is very true, Ruby Eyes. I generally work on the smallest things first and then I can build upon them later, but I know a lot of you guys (myself included) are missing some of the Eatw features and would like to have them back sooner rather than later. :)
And yes! The dreaded Sino messing with the stats. XD I made sure to test a Sino in the API when I got access, so I know all of their goofy tricks to try and win stat medals. Can't fool me. ;)

I also wanted to put a note out there that I was alerted about a positioning bug with Nocturnes just the other night. Since javascript uses your computer's time, people in non-ET timezones could end up with a Nocturne pic using the opposite position. I've implemented a fix that should do the trick and get those Nocturnes back in their spot. :)

Share this post


Link to post

I just want to say how much I love your lineage builder. So far I've just been screen shooting them but it helps me so much when I'm planning out my own lineages. I also recently lost all my papers for a very long one and this was so helpful because I could fill in the dragons I already had and then I can see what pairs need to be bred and how to name them. I can't wait for the function to b able to save the lineages built. Also, will it be possible to edit saved lineages?

Share this post


Link to post

Whoops life got rather hectic and I'm still trying to catch up, but I've gone ahead and closed the poll now and will try to take a look over it soon. Thank you everyone who took the time to send in your response!

 

On another note, Floral-Crowned dragons have been added! Had a bit of technical difficulties getting it put in - whoops. I'm thankful to say that the revamped version of the lineage builder will make things a lot neater on my end as well, so adding in new breeds should be a lot smoother. :)

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/17/2018 at 5:58 PM, StarSea said:

Whoops life got rather hectic and I'm still trying to catch up, but I've gone ahead and closed the poll now and will try to take a look over it soon. Thank you everyone who took the time to send in your response!

 

On another note, Floral-Crowned dragons have been added! Had a bit of technical difficulties getting it put in - whoops. I'm thankful to say that the revamped version of the lineage builder will make things a lot neater on my end as well, so adding in new breeds should be a lot smoother. :)

Thank you for working so hard on this! I’m very thankful, and I’m sure the rest of the community is too!

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know if this was put in the survey thing, but I'd like the option to show only from the parents breeds. So you can just click between like 2-3 breeds instead of finding it in the big long list again. If hybrids make it tough I wouldn't mind parents breeds + all hybrids in the dropdown since that still cuts it down a lot. I'm sure there's a way to code to check for hybrid ability but no idea how tough that would be. Or maybe say you're looking at 4th gen but don't have gen 2/3 filled in it lets you pick from all the 1st gen breeds.

 

As well as, why is importing lineages improbable, allure of neglected dragons can do it? A different api or just coding you don't know?

Edited by Tinibree

Share this post


Link to post

AoND doesn't import anything, it just shows the dragons themselves.

The API doesn't tell the breed though, while the lineage tiles are one per breed, not one per dragons.

That's also why AoND can't show lineage tiles - you'll always see the dragon's own image.

Share this post


Link to post

I love the lineage creator! It's been so helpful lately! I have some lineages that I made that you could use for the template library if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Tinibree said:

I don't know if this was put in the survey thing, but I'd like the option to show only from the parents breeds. So you can just click between like 2-3 breeds instead of finding it in the big long list again. If hybrids make it tough I wouldn't mind parents breeds + all hybrids in the dropdown since that still cuts it down a lot. I'm sure there's a way to code to check for hybrid ability but no idea how tough that would be. Or maybe say you're looking at 4th gen but don't have gen 2/3 filled in it lets you pick from all the 1st gen breeds.

 

As well as, why is importing lineages improbable, allure of neglected dragons can do it? A different api or just coding you don't know?

 

This please! Also include alts, and breeds that can produce other breeds besides themselves (off the top of my head: sunrise/set, day/night glories, arias/pinks)

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

seasonals and xenos?

also gemshard, striped and lunar colours

 

I would count the different stripe/gemshard/lunar colors as alts, but yeah seasonals and xenos are breeds that can produce other breeds too! Scrolling though a long list is a pain in the butt, especially on mobile.

I think it would also be nice if, after you pick one dragon, it excludes the other three breeding groups from the drop-down (normal vs two-head vs pygmy vs drake)

Share this post


Link to post

@Tinibree Ruby Eyes is exactly right - AoND doesn't deal with the dragon breeds at all (which is exactly why the offspring is listed as "Mystery Egg"), whereas this lineage builder does. If you import a lineage, it'll only bring in the images, shape of the lineage, and location of the dragons in the lineage, not the breed. If you don't know what breed was just imported into the page, you'll have to sit there going through every breed trying to find out exactly what it was just to continue using it in the lineage.

Granted, I could have the system compare the dragon to every single other possible image and then give the breed result, but that is a lot of effort both as far as coding and strain on the server. There are 353 adult general images alone (even more if you count the phases of Spirit Wards and Nocturnes, but those are negligible as far as this), plus numerous Spriter's Alts. Importing a CB can potentially have to go through every single one of these image comparisons until reaching the dragon's breed. A 4th evengen line would require it 15 times - that could end up having to make over 5,295 comparisons. The fuller the lineage, the more comparisons it'll have to do and still manage it in a reasonable amount of time, as well.
This would also add extra strain to DC's server because it has to pull up the images from DC for every comparison too, and while one or two people doing it might not matter much, the size of DC's userbase itself and how much traffic the lineage builder could get has to be taken into consideration too.

 

All in all, unless TJ adds even just breed IDs to the API, importing lineages is unfortunately in a very mucky situation right now that would end up more trouble than it'd be worth. Some future features will make it relatively easy to simply re-create a lineage, instead. While I do hope some day TJ will add breed IDs to the API, we've got to work with what we have and make the best of it.



To the suggestions about limiting the breeds in the dropdown based on already-chosen dragons, I had actually just thought about it the other day as well! :D Since some people (like myself) enjoy using the lineage to also compare possible breeding pairs all together, it would probably be better to have it as an option that can be toggled, perhaps be on by default? I'll have to give it a little more thought on the best way of going about it, but I definitely believe it is something that can be done.

Share this post


Link to post

Just going to comment on this thread so I'm able to watch it as it goes! I really love the lineage builder so far and the future feature ideas!

Edited by kittyrules2003

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, kittyrules2003 said:

Just going to comment on this thread so I'm able to watch it as it goes! I really love the lineage builder so far and the future feature ideas!

Top right corner of a given thread has a "follow" button you can use ;)

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Top right corner of a given thread has a "follow" button you can use ;)

I just wanted to have it in my content, not get notifications though :P Thanks thoughh!

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2018 at 8:07 PM, SamuelMaybird said:

I think my favorite thing about your hatchery so far is that you have to log in to use it.

 

That is something we desperately need in a hatchery with all this malicious viewbombing. One less hatchery able to be abused by viewbombing.

I, for one, am actually sorry to hear that. I mean... I was seriously hoping this might become a go to for me, in place of EATW. IF I have to log IN EVERY time I want to use... ANNOYING. I have never, EVER been crazy for the idea of having to log in to put my dragons in a hatchery. Of course, some of the other cool tools this place has, might well mitigate that enough for me to use it , regardless.

I just... don't want to have to remember more passwords.

 

BUT after what happened with EATW, it could be the rest will go that way also, and THEN where would I be?

 

HOW will one log, in if I may ask?

Edited by JavaTigress

Share this post


Link to post

More passwords? Evina's hatchery requires login (if you set your scroll to "secure"), but it just re-directs to an API login to DC, which means you essentially log into DC itself with your DC password, and the API then tells the website that you are indeed the owner of your scroll. You can check there how it works.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

More passwords? Evina's hatchery requires login (if you set your scroll to "secure"), but it just re-directs to an API login to DC, which means you essentially log into DC itself with your DC password, and the API then tells the website that you are indeed the owner of your scroll. You can check there how it works.

I might have to because.... honestly... aside from that relatively minor quibble, the site looks great and I'd LOVE to see it become like an extension of DC for me.

 

ETA- I WENT to Evina's but it didn't prompt me for any password. Odd.

 

I love what the creator of this is trying to do, tho.

I will add PART of my resistance to passwords for hatcheries is.... I don't like feeling like I am being punished for what viewbombers do.

AND I think if the login worked like it does for Evina's I'd be fine with that. HOW it works I am not sure.... Interesting.

Edited by JavaTigress

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JavaTigress said:

I, for one, am actually sorry to hear that. I mean... I was seriously hoping this might become a go to for me, in place of EATW. IF I have to log IN EVERY time I want to use... ANNOYING. I have never, EVER been crazy for the idea of having to log in to put my dragons in a hatchery. Of course, some of the other cool tools this place has, might well mitigate that enough for me to use it , regardless.

I just... don't want to have to remember more passwords.

 

BUT after what happened with EATW, it could be the rest will go that way also, and THEN where would I be?

 

HOW will one log, in if I may ask?

You log in through Dragon Cave. So no new password, I don't understand why everyone assumes that you have to make an account. It's just like Draghatch that secures your scroll. Why is having one less hatchery someone can abuse.

 

I've been getting viewbomb as of late but it's always a little victory that Draghatch can't be used because I secured my scroll.

 

So please help understand why three more clicks to secure your dragons is so bad compared to malicious activity because of unsecured scrolls.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SamuelMaybird said:

You log in through Dragon Cave. So no new password, I don't understand why everyone assumes that you have to make an account. It's just like Draghatch that secures your scroll. Why is having one less hatchery someone can abuse.

 

I've been getting viewbomb as of late but it's always a little victory that Draghatch can't be used because I secured my scroll.

 

So please help understand why three more clicks to secure your dragons is so bad compared to malicious activity because of unsecured scrolls.

Well,  I DID comment that I wasn't aware that it automatically used your dragoncave login to for this. :)

 

So yes, I admit that I was assuming it would mean making an account for Heart of Blue. ( My mom has a saying about that... assuming that is)

 

Anywho. When someone pointed out my error.... I went and looked at Evina's to see how the thing worked, assuming that this new site will use a similar mechanism. ALTHOUGH I admit I am... unsure how to secure my scroll. That said.... I  think people make the assumption because MOST often that is what  'login' means? A shame because what Evina's has done.... and Heart of Blue, too, if they use something similar...is actually quite clever now that I really understand what is going on. A LOT of it is simple misunderstanding, I think and IF it were cleared up might lead to a whole LOT less opposition for the idea. As I said... big issue is using the term 'login' to describe it ...though to be fair I dunno what ELSE you COULD call it. BOTTOM line is that, for my part I have FORGOTEN/LOST passwords to sites before, including on DC forums, here, actually....so I keep that in mind when thinking about new passwords. ALSO, I feel it seems like a pity if rules following users are inconvenienced unduly because some other than themselves is abusing click sites... I think it is a shame that so many have to actually constantly be HIDING their scrolls to prevent malicious activity ( I don't personally hide my scroll, but I know many others do and I understand WHY they do it... and while I don't hide mine I willfully choose not to do so despite KNOWING that I COULD be targeted.)  So I do see your point of view, also, and, if the thing takes the form of what Evina's has done.... AS I said, loving the look of this fansite otherwise. :) Once it goes live I might have to give it a look! ( Any idea when that might be?)

 

Bottom line? YES to protections that do not 'punish' rules following users for the actions of a few... which Evina's precautions seem to fit! .

Edited by JavaTigress

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, JavaTigress said:

I admit I am... unsure how to secure my scroll.

When you enter your scroll name and get a list of your growing things, at the top of that is a line like this:

Quote

This scroll is not secure. Click here to manage scroll security.

That link send you to DC's API login page. Once you logged in, you get redirected back to Evina's and can choose whether to allow everyone to manage your scroll or only yourself after logging in (can set a cookie to allow users of your computer). You can also disable security any time.

(For me, that line above says "This scroll is secure." instead.)

 

Would be cool if HoB could do it in a similar fashion indeed :)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

When you enter your scroll name and get a list of your growing things, at the top of that is a line like this:

That link send you to DC's API login page. Once you logged in, you get redirected back to Evina's and can choose whether to allow everyone to manage your scroll or only yourself after logging in (can set a cookie to allow users of your computer). You can also disable security any time.

(For me, that line above says "This scroll is secure." instead.)

 

Would be cool if HoB could do it in a similar fashion indeed :)

I tested it out and , as far as it goes, relatively painless.

GOOD for me to remember my password to my scroll, too. XD

 

Yes, I could see this as a thing for hatcheries.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for bringing up your concerns, @JavaTigress! Let's see if I can try clarifying how login will be used! :)

The current plan is that you will be able to just add your growing things to the hatchery by default. Unfortunately this will leave a vast majority of accounts unprotected as far as HoB's hatchery.
Logging in through DC's page, or HoB itself, will provide a slew of tools to the user. You'll be able to secure your account so that you can determine who can manage your things in hatcheries (anyone, only on that browser, etc.) just like how DragHatch works.
If you decide to make a HoB account, you will be able to "link" your DC account to it through DC's login page, and you'll be able to secure your scroll even further with that if you wish.

To use the hatchery, general tools, and lineage builder, there will be zero requirement to log in. Logging in will solely provide you with ways to secure your account and additional, quality of life, options for those aspects of the site. Things such as posting trades, however, will require you to log in through DC at the very least.

Edited by StarSea

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, StarSea said:

Thank you for bringing up your concerns, @JavaTigress! Let's see if I can try clarifying how login will be used! :)

The current plan is that you will be able to just add your growing things to the hatchery by default. Unfortunately this will leave a vast majority of accounts unprotected as far as HoB's hatchery.
Logging in through DC's page, or HoB itself, will provide a slew of tools to the user. You'll be able to secure your account so that you can determine who can manage your things in hatcheries (anyone, only on that browser, etc.) just like how DragHatch works.
If you decide to make a HoB account, you will be able to "link" your DC account to it through DC's login page, and you'll be able to secure your scroll even further with that if you wish.

To use the hatchery, general tools, and lineage builder, there will be zero requirement to log in. Logging in will solely provide you with ways to secure your account and additional, quality of life, options for those aspects of the site. Things such as posting trades, however, will require you to log in through DC at the very least.

Oh, I like that. Multiple ways to secure. Or if you choose, not securing, it's up to the user. You can probably just use your DC name and password out of convince. I'm really liking this.

 

Thank you for the clarification, I am still very much for all the secure measures. Like I said it does bring me peace of mind trusting a site not to be abused. Granted such a thing shouldn't have to happen but...that's seems to be some people's lot in life.

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.