StarSea

Heart of Blue - WIP Fansite

logo.png

Welcome to Heart of Blue - a long-term fansite project!

The initial concept back in 2017 was to create a Lineage Builder, a tool to allow anyone the ability preview the lineages they envision without having to open up an art program and mess around with finding the breed images they want. The proof of concept has been available since back then, but as of 2022, it's now better than ever and only going up from there!

Even though the revamp is finally available, we're not done yet! There's still a vast number of upgrades I would like to make to the Lineage Builder as well as other sections that I'd like to put together as an overall fansite. The list below is not an exhaustive list of the features I have planned, but you can get a general idea of where I intend to go with the site. There is no timeline for these features due to my current schedule and situation, but I make sure to announce when something is in the works or an update has been made, so be sure to follow the thread for these sorts of tidbits!

Keep in mind that some of the plans are tentative and may rely heavily on what can be done via Dragcave or Discord's own APIs. Depending on how some features are handled, they may also be seen as giving an advantage and therefore would not be acceptable per DC's ToS, so if planned features are removed, please do try to remember this is a large consideration.

Current Plans:

• Lineage Builder - Access it here!
    • Lineage shape templates
    • Save, Re-open, and Share built lineages
    • Import lineages from Saved HoB lineages or from existing DC dragons
    • Generate an image of the built lineage for easier sharing
    • Dragon checklist of the built lineage
    • Copy/Move a dragon and its ancestry
    • Mark a dragon for death/zombification
    • "Smart" builder restrictions
    • Spriter's Alts - this relies heavily on permission of the spriters, in other words very old alts may never become available
  • Hatchery
    • Fogged eggs/hatchlings will automatically be removed by default
      • Log in via DC or sign up for a HoB account + link your DC account to decide to keep something in the hatchery when fogged or not
    • Things that have transferred ownership will be removed automatically
  • Wishlists
    • Simple wishlist builder
    • Search others' wishlists
  • General User Tools
    • Offspring lists
    • CB list with filtering/searching
    • Scroll stats
    • Signature icons
  • Trading & Gifting/Raffles
    • Log in via DC or sign up for a HoB account + link your DC account to post trades
    • Initiate multiple trade listings at a time
    • Automatically remove trades broken by hatched/grown up dragons (will have to see if we can make this work based on the API)
    • Search posted trades
    • "Bump" your trade once a day
  • Discord chat bot
    • Quicklink to your wishlist from chat
    • Reminder for upcoming holiday events (2 weeks and 1 week before and day of breeding window opening, and day of new release)
    • Manage your eggs & hatchlings in the HoB hatchery from chat
    • Set up trades from chat
    • Commands to get current info of "cycling" breeds (i.e. fire gem, gemshard, lunar herald)
    • Get alerts in chat if someone posts a trade with something on your wishlist
Edited by StarSea

All these ideas sound great. I will totally use the lineage builder. I think the more Hatcheries the better. I can't wait to see what you do!

I would really like the lineage builder, as well as the wishlist creator. I would like another hatchery, since you can never have enough! If you don't want to make one, though, you can leave that out.

I think these are all good ideas, especially the lineage builder and trading hub. That was a project I was thinking of doing myself, but I just lack the time.

What did you have in mind for the lineage builder? Would it be something similar to what AoND has, where you have to put in the code for the dragons you could possibly breed together? Or could it be where you select the dragon breeds and type of lineage (checker, spiral, staircase, etc)? Having both options would be awesome, but I understand having limited time and energy.

Thank you for the support! Unfortunately I've been a bit sick lately, so I haven't been able to get as much work done as I had hoped, but I feel that it's ready enough for a preview reveal now;

You will start with your final offspring slot, and then you'll be able to expand your lineage from there via the available "Expand" button-

qGuFJYP.png

These "Expand" buttons will appear for any CB dragons in the lineage and can be hidden using the blue "Hide Buttons" option in the main menu, or shown again by clicking "Show Buttons".

Clicking on any of the dragon slots will turn it green and provide you with the dragon manage menu as seen below. Dragons with parents will be provided with the "Remove Parents" button, as well. This button will completely erase all of the selected dragon's progenitors (parents, grandparents, so on and so forth), so please be careful how you use this button!

There is also a "Shrink Icons" (or "Enlarge Icons" in the below screenshot) which will adjust all images in the lineage to look more like the images you would actually find in lineages on DC. Otherwise, full-scale images will be used, which are mainly focused on the dragon's face(s).

Both of the potentially large-scale irreversible edit buttons ("Restart" and "Remove Parents") will cause an alert box to pop up to make sure that you actually would like to follow through with the action, so accidental lineage-wipes or of the likes should be harder to do.

There are a handful of bugs I still need to squash, as well as finishing going through all of the dragons and setting up image positions/sizes to look nice, but I'm excited to say that this might be ready very soon!

7VtLNfR.png

The lineage builder is live on the website! You can access it at http://heart-of.blue/dragcave/lineage

Please note that there are some known bugs! I've gone ahead and put it up on the website regardless, though, because the core functionality is available and working.

While you guys go ahead and fiddle around with that, I'll be working on ironing out all of the kinks and all that.

Thank you for your patience as I work on this.

That looks really amazing! I don't have time to play with it much right now, but just the little bit that I did was impressive. I hope you will eventually have instructions on the page. When I first looked at it I had no idea what to do with it until I came back and re-read your post above.

It looks nice. Bookmarking it for next time I'm building a lineage from scratch. Great job!!!

Edit: Maybe a sear feature for the dragon breed might make it a bit easier to use.

Edited by OutlawQueen

I've added it to the list, thank you! I need to get back to work on my job, so work for this will currently be put on hold. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

I think that a good addition (if possible) would be the ability to choose a breed and be able to click on all of the boxes that you want that breed to be in. It's awesome, but a bit annoying to have to search through the list for every box.

slaps this fancyshmancy preview in here

KmiA8ET.gif

Just a small preview of a few features to come! Copy & Paste for individual dragons as well as multi-select \o/

I'm planning on adding a whole slew of new things before making these updates live, however, but I'll keep you guys updated and potentially throw in some more sneak peeks along the way. Thank you for your input, interest, and patience!

The Lineage Builder is AMAZING! I actually wanted to make one similar in the past but had no coding experience. :wub:

I vote "YES!" to another Hatchery, by the way. I need another one that I like, haha. Again, wanted to make my own  but no darn coding experience. XD

This looks AMAZING!!! I've been playing around with it, and it looks just amazing!!!!! I can't seem to work out how to use the "Ctrl V" thingy. 

Edited by mouse050909

Just a heads up that these new kiddos will not be being added to the lineage previewer right away. Sorry for any inconvenience!

I'm going to keep working on the updates and everything and will be putting in the three new dragons with the updates once they're ready. :)

@mouse050909 Unfortunately it's not a feature on the site yet, that's just a preview of some updates to come :)

Hey, I love your lineage builder! It helped me a lot to sort out my halloween lineage plans. :)

Also the upcoming feature is awesome! This will be super helpful! :wub:

Thanks for all the work you put into this.

Holy! This is exactly what I need! I was about to doodle it down on some paper so this site is very much appreciated. Thank you! 

Spinels and Bautas have been added to the previewer!

I found out today that we got API access a few days ago (spam inbox, please stop eating my mail </3), so it looks like things might take longer than expected. We're building a hatchery too!

The current plan now is to start getting the site set up and ready for all sorts of features first before continuing work on the lineage builder updates.

As we move forward, you'll be able to create an account on heart-of.blue and then link your dragcave and discord accounts to it. You'll need a heart-of.blue account, at the very least, so that you can save your built lineages and your wishlist, but you'll still be able to use a majority of the features on the site without needing an account. Accounts'll just add some extra stuff and make things a little simpler to use in some spots.

It's pretty late for me, however, and my brain is getting all fuzzy. Therefore, I don't want to go into too much detail right now and then wake up tomorrow and be like "what was I thinking? that makes absolutely zero sense!". So with that, I'm going to go ahead and hit the hay. As always, thank you all for your support and patience! I'm so excited to be working on this <3

Ayyy it's Preview Time again!

This time we'll be taking a little look at the upcoming hatchery ;)

Right now it's just an extremely basic setup, no way to actually add things to it, so don't worry that you can't find where to do that in the preview! That'll definitely get added before launching it. XD
Clicking the little blue heart by a dragon will trigger the updater and turn the heart red so you know you already clicked it. If the dragon gets removed from the database when you click the heart, it'll get removed from your page too!

0RbjOnc.png

The general layout has gotten a bit of an update, which will be plenty more noticeable on the lineage builder page. The lines on the builder page have also been made darker to help make it easier to see them. There's still a long way to go but I'll try to keep you guys updated! 

Looking good! Thanks for all your hard work.

Looks great! Good job! What are the little hearts for?

Edited by OutlawQueen

@OutlawQueen Clicking the little blue heart by a dragon will trigger the updater and turn the heart red so you know you already clicked it. :) So say you see an adult in the hatchery, you'd just click it and it would tell the website to remove it.

Question time! o/

Do you guys prefer hatcheries that:

1. Give you the option on if you want to put your dragons into the ER section, or force you to put them in the ER?
  2. Show you the statistics of your dragons such as what their timer is at and how many views/unique views/clicks they have?
  3. Tell you how long until your next egg can hatch/hatchling can grow?
  4. Automatically refresh from the start, or give you the option to have it auto refresh (and how often)?

52 minutes ago, StarSea said:

Question time! o/

Do you guys prefer hatcheries that:

1. Give you the option on if you want to put your dragons into the ER section, or force you to put them in the ER?
  2. Show you the statistics of your dragons such as what their timer is at and how many views/unique views/clicks they have?
  3. Tell you how long until your next egg can hatch/hatchling can grow?
  4. Automatically refresh from the start, or give you the option to have it auto refresh (and how often)?

1. Give me the option, PLEASE!

2. Time left is nice. Also I like to see the codes. Don't need view stats.

3. Nice, but not necessary, especially if the time left for each one is shown in the listing.

4. Options are better for those of us with dodgy internet or crumbling computers.

@StarSea

1. I would prefer to have the option rather than forcing eggs into the ER.
  2. That would be nice to have. I don't particularly use the views/unique view/clicks stats too often. Displaying the picture of the egg/hatchling and the code is very helpful though.
  3. They're not necessary for me. To be honest, I usually don't notice that.
  4. Options are good. 

@StarSea

1. Would love an option.
  2. I strongly want this.
  3. I would love this because I'm always looking forward to when they hatch/grow.
  4. Option again, please.